Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 pm

^ But I was "if I'm wrong, may lightning strike me dead" certain on South America, too.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 am

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MDCSWildcats86 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:FJ was instaget, insultingly easy, and...familiar. I might be confusing it with another clue, but I swear they've asked us this before.

Last season they asked:

Of the 7 continents, the 2 that todate, have never been the setting of a "Best Musical" Tony winner.

Incidentally, this FJ! will be obsolete come 2016, as Rio will host the Summer Games that year.

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:31 am
Location: Queens

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CyrusChan » Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 pm

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:FJ was instaget, insultingly easy, and...familiar. I might be confusing it with another clue, but I swear they've asked us this before.

Last season they asked:

Of the 7 continents, the 2 that todate, have never been the setting of a "Best Musical" Tony winner.

Incidentally, this FJ! will be obsolete come 2016, as Rio will host the Summer Games that year.
What was the answer to the "Tony" winner question?

This has got to be one of the insta-get's of all-time IMO. Elyse is really smart as I was shocked how she got that dinosaur one(plod something,please help if you can), and Foucault and Tritium. I was blanking on them but remember seeing these terms before.

Elyse is my pick for winning it although I am enamored with Catherine's politeness and lisp. :)

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vanya » Thu May 10, 2012 10:52 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: Any way I'd know those attractions would be in Phoenix and not Santa Fe? Both seemed to make equal sense to me.
Phoenix is in the desert. Santa Fe is in the mountains (over 7,000 feet).

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9797
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu May 10, 2012 10:54 pm

1/5 for me in TV as well only getting Switched At Birth. Santa Fe was one I went for over Phoenix for no good reason other than wanting the run in the category.

Whoever decided the boards were one for the finals was right as I had 17 fewer clues correct and 17,000 less on my Coryat. Ouch. No one was going to run away on night one entering FJ.

Even though the teens are young I still think the FJ clue was too easy for the finals. 2000 was Australia and the players were five-ish? They must have heard something about Sydney by their teen years. 2002 was Utah, so N. America was out probably by that alone or having to know at least once Canada and the U.S. hosted. 2004 was Athens to eliminate Europe. 2008 was Beijing and Asia was a lock to rule out. That leaves S. America and Africa. With 30 seconds it seems just about impossible to miss for finalists. For $1600 or a DD seems a better option by the writers.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9228
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman » Thu May 10, 2012 11:06 pm

This exact FJ was used as an FJ many years ago, may have been in a TOC. I could not find it via an archive search. I'll bet Rose and Catherine are kicking themselves for chickening out and betting small when seeing a sports FJ.

I got Switched at Birth from the description, even though I've never heard of it. The only other show I've heard of is Community, but I don't watch it.

A simple FJ, even if you don't follow sports.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6376
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu May 10, 2012 11:30 pm

jeff6286 wrote: Elyse Mancuso: $13,200+10,000=$23,200
Rose Schaefer: $9,400+$3,000=$12,400
Catherine Briley: $7,400+$2,600=$10,000
Crunching numbers here: entering FJ tomorrow, Elyse can enter FJ in third and still be in a position to win on a triple get. All she has to is be within $5,400 of Rose and within $6,600 of Catherine. For Rose to be able to win on a triple get, she needs to lead Elyse by more than $5,400 and be within $1,200 of Catherine. And Catherine must lead Elyse by more than $6,600 and Rose by more than $1,200 to have the highest potential total.

To achieve a lock tomorrow, Elyse must get within $10,800 of Rose's doubled score and within $13,200 of Catherine's. (For example, R: $10,000 C: $11,200 E: $9,400 is a slim lock for Elyse.) If Rose enters tomorrow's FJ with less than $5,400 and Catherine has less than $6,600, Elyse will have a superlock (a lock tournament that it is impossible to Clavin your way out of).

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8770
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, I love how no one told them that Wheel puzzles are left-aligned, not center-aligned.
But they are sister shows, so I'm sure they had a lot of help from Wheel staff with that category.

Keep in mind, though, that they were Jeopardy! clues, not Wheel puzzles, as they appeared on Jeopardy!, and J! clues can be center-aligned.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: New Mexico

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by lisa0012 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 pm

A similar FJ! from 1984: Of the 5 continents symbolized by Olympic rings,the only one never to hold the Games

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever » Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 am

Count me in for saying Santa Fe. I did 3/5 for wheel.

I never heard of any of the TV shows.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6670
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Fri May 11, 2012 12:15 am

Not sure how but I skunked the Physics category...
Also, only 1/5 on TV (Portlandia) and haven't seen any of them. (Nor have i heard of the other four.)

And what's this? No comments yet how we failed to get two clues in J! despite no Biden or Oprah to blame?! I'm shocked, SHOCKED!! Normally we're all over that like ugly on ape!

FJ! was stupid easy. Given how the FJs have been, I'm surprised only one made a big wager on it...
Last edited by Volante on Fri May 11, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY
Contact:

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle » Fri May 11, 2012 12:15 am

Bamaman wrote:The only other show I've heard of is Community, but I don't watch it.
I'm trying to recall if you've "outed" yourself as a L&O fan. If you are (and anyone so inclined),this was brilliant:
http://www.nbc.com/community/video/basi ... y/1398566/
It's an episode of Community written dead-on as if it were an L&O effort. Only thing it was missing was Belzer, to add to his character's record series appearances.

User avatar
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk » Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 am

seriously, you guys have GOT to stop replying to TPH's most idiotic comments. it's stupid and infuriating.
CyrusChan wrote:Elyse is really smart as I was shocked how she got that dinosaur one(plod something,please help if you can), and Foucault and Tritium. I was blanking on them but remember seeing these terms before.
yes, she is very sharp indeed. (the "plod"ding dinosaur was diplodocus.) i'd be stunned if she lost tomorrow.
lisa0012 wrote:A similar FJ! from 1984: Of the 5 continents symbolized by Olympic rings,the only one never to hold the Games
i guess i can imagine the olympic rings symbolizing continents, but man, australia gets in ahead of either africa or south america? that seems so wrong. (i actually don't know the answer to the clue; which one is it?)
Volante wrote:And what's this? No comments yet how we failed to get two clues in J! despite no Biden or Oprah to blame?! I'm shocked, SHOCKED!! Normally we're all over that like ugly on ape!
jeff was all over that like ugly on ape on page 1.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8225
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 am

jpahk wrote:i guess i can imagine the olympic rings symbolizing continents, but man, australia gets in ahead of either africa or south america? that seems so wrong. (i actually don't know the answer to the clue; which one is it?)
I think Pierre De Coubertin, the guy who designed the logo, was considering N America, S America, Australia, Eurasia, and Africa as the 5 continents.

User avatar
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk » Fri May 11, 2012 12:39 am

econgator wrote:
jpahk wrote:i guess i can imagine the olympic rings symbolizing continents, but man, australia gets in ahead of either africa or south america? that seems so wrong. (i actually don't know the answer to the clue; which one is it?)
I think Pierre De Coubertin, the guy who designed the logo, was considering N America, S America, Australia, Eurasia, and Africa as the 5 continents.
if so, then the clue is wrong...?

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8770
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 am

econgator wrote:
jpahk wrote:i guess i can imagine the olympic rings symbolizing continents, but man, australia gets in ahead of either africa or south america? that seems so wrong. (i actually don't know the answer to the clue; which one is it?)
I think Pierre De Coubertin, the guy who designed the logo, was considering N America, S America, Australia, Eurasia, and Africa as the 5 continents.
No, he was considering the Americas as one continent (the others, of course, being Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4551
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 am

jpahk wrote:
Volante wrote:And what's this? No comments yet how we failed to get two clues in J! despite no Biden or Oprah to blame?! I'm shocked, SHOCKED!! Normally we're all over that like ugly on ape!
jeff was all over that like ugly on ape on page 1.
So does that make me the ugly, or the ape?

As to the Olympic rings question, I had a whole response typed up explaining how that was a faulty clue, since the Sydney games wouldn't occur for another 16 years later. Fortunately just before I was ready to submit I had the epiphany that Melbourne had previously hosted the Summer Olympics, in 1956 to be exact. That little fact had completely slipped my mind for some reason.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6670
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Fri May 11, 2012 12:55 am

jeff6286 wrote:
jpahk wrote:
Volante wrote:And what's this? No comments yet how we failed to get two clues in J! despite no Biden or Oprah to blame?! I'm shocked, SHOCKED!! Normally we're all over that like ugly on ape!
jeff was all over that like ugly on ape on page 1.
So does that make me the ugly, or the ape?
Totally skimmed over that post... I think I should just call it a night at this point.

Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 am

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Onairb » Fri May 11, 2012 2:10 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:^ But I was "if I'm wrong, may lightning strike me dead" certain on South America, too.
Wear sunscreen, those lightning burns are painful.

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies » Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 am

This FJ! was asked late in season four. IIRC it was someone's game five, I want to say Roy Holliday's game five.

Post Reply