Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7939, 2019-02-28

2019 All-Star Games wildcard match, game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Roger Craig, a machine learning consultant from Newark, Delaware
Pam Mueller, a think tank researcher from Culver City, California
Alex Jacob, a freelance trivia writer from Greensboro, North Carolina

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome, everyone, once again to the Jeopardy! All-Star Games. This is match number 3. The wildcard match. Whoever winds up as the winner of this two-day event tomorrow will get to come back and play on Monday and Tuesday against Brad Rutter's team and Ken Jennings' team in the two-day finals where they compete for the grand prize of $1 million. I will invite the captains to go backstage and confer with their teammates and decide which player gets to come out and compete in the Jeopardy! Round. Stay tuned. We'll be back.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (5/5)
CITIES (4/5)
FROM THE "PEN" OF WEBSTER'S THIRD (5/5)
YOU'RE AN ALL-STAR (5/5) (Alex: Hey now...)
GET YOUR GAME ON (4/5)
GO PLAY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Roger: 10 R, 1 W
Pam: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Alex had $2,600, Pam had $2,600, and Roger was at $2,800. Alex made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

GO PLAY $600: At Circle in the Square in 1975, George C. Scott earned raves as this Arthur Miller character

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CITIES $1000: The resort city of Baguio was once the summer capital of this island nation

GET YOUR GAME ON $1000: This title of Stephen Potter's book on "Winning Games Without Actually Cheating" entered the English language
(Alex Trebek: And that title was [*]. Back to you, Roger.)
(Roger: There's been a lot of that.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alex: $8,800
Roger: $5,600
Pam: $2,600
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
UNPHARAOHS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHOW BIZ (5/5)
TAXONOMY (5/5)
IDIOMS DELIGHT (4/5)
ARTS & CULTURE (4/5)
TRIOS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Pam: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Alex: 9 R, 1 W
Roger: 9 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pam snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Alex had $8,800, Pam had $2,600, and Roger was at $5,600. Pam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

TRIOS $1600: Submerged in China:
Qutang,
Wu &
Xiling
(Colby: Submerged...so what are [*]?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Pam who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Alex had $7,600, Pam had $9,600, and Roger was at $12,800. Pam wagered $4,000.

UNPHARAOHS $1600: The Bible says Pharaoh Shishak raided Jersualem & the temple, taking the gold shields this king had made
(Colby: This king, so the temple, so I'm gonna say who is [*]?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IDIOMS DELIGHT $1200: Raally upset? You're "mad as" this moistened fowl
(Alex: You're as mad as [*], aren't you?)
(Colby: No, I'm actually feeling okay right now.)

ARTS & CULTURE $1200: In 1957's "Square Dance", this New York City Ballet founder combined classical technique with square dance calls

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Pam: $19,600
Alex: $17,200
Roger: $15,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Pam: Wager $14,801 to cover Alex.
Alex: You ought to wager to cover Roger, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $17,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $14,000 (to shut out Roger) or less than $12,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Roger). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Pam.
Roger: You ought to try wagering between $1,601 and $10,800. This will top a $0 wager by Alex while still beating Pam and Alex on the Triple Stumper (should Pam wager to cover Alex's doubled score and Alex wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A chapter of "The Jungle Book" has this double-talk title, echoing the opening line of a Brit's poem some 100 years prior

FINAL SCORES
Roger: $15,600 - $10,400 = $5,200 (What is)
Alex: $17,200 - $17,200 = $0 (What is king king)
Pam: $19,600 - $12,000 = $7,600 (What is)
(Alex: [To Alan] The correct response referred to William Blake's poem "The Tyger". And the line--the chapter was [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Pam: $16,200, 15 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Roger: $15,600, 19 R, 2 W
Alex: $15,200, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $47,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Alex: 22/59 = .373
Roger: 19/58 = .328
Pam: 15/60 = .250
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CITIES $600: Discovery Drive, Exploration Drive & Genoa Place are streets in this state capital
(Roger: What is Tallahassee?)

YOU'RE AN ALL-STAR $1000: Starting in 1948 this "Mr. Hockey" was named to a record 21 NHL All-Star teams
(Alex Trebek: My hero.)

CITIES $400: This Texas city that celebrated its 300th anniversary in 2018 got its name on a saint's feast day even before its official founding
(Pam: What is Corpus Christi?)

YOU'RE AN ALL-STAR $200: He appeared a record 18 times in NBA All-Star games, and 4 times on "Celebrity Jeopardy!"

TAXONOMY $1200: Taxonomically, this variety of oak tree is Quercus alba
(Buzzy: What is English oak?)
(Alex: Yes. "Alba".)
(Colby: "Alba", yeah. Didn't have any real knowledge on that.)
[Laughter]

UNPHARAOHS $2000: Also known as Amenhotep IV, this pharaoh downplayed Egypt's traditional polytheism & instituted a single solar god

SHOW BIZ $2000: She directed Kirsten Dunst in "The Virgin Suicides", "Marie Antoinette" & "The Beguiled"
(Buzzy: Who is Coppola--[*]?)

TAXONOMY $400: Sheep & goats are also members of this family along with cattle
(Austin: What are ungulates?)

IDIOMS DELIGHT $400: Physically or figuratively, you can come to this utensil where an important choice must be made
(Buzzy: What's [*]?)
(Alex: [Overlapping with Buzzy] Fork in the road, yes.)
(Buzzy: Fork in the road.)

TRIOS $800: The law of inertia,
F=ma, &
the law of action & reaction
(Buzzy: What are Newton's Laws?)
(Alex: Be more--)
(Buzzy: [*].)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Willy) Loman
the Philippines
Gamesmanship
the Three Gorges of Three Gorges Dam
Solomon
a wet hen
George Balanchine
"Tiger! Tiger!"
Columbus, Ohio
(Gordie) Howe
San Antonio
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
a white oak
Akhenaton
Sofia Coppola
bovines
a fork (in the road)
Newton's Three Laws of Motion
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A chapter of “The Jungle Book” has this double-talk title, echoing the opening line of a Brit’s poem some 100 years prior

Team Buzzy (Jennifer): 17200-17200=0
Team Colby (Alan): 19600-12000=7600
Team Austin (Leonard): 15600-10400=5200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tiger, Tiger (Jennifer – King King) (Alan – What is) (Leonard – What is)

Daily Doubles
Team Buzzy (Alex): 2600+2600
Team Colby (Colby): 2600+2600
Team Colby (Colby): 9600+4000

Coryats
Team Buzzy: 15200
Team Colby: 16200
Team Austin: 15600

Combined: 47,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Team Buzzy (Alex): 8800
Team Colby (Pam): 2600
Team Austin (Roger): 5600

Today’s Fantasy Points:
Alex: 13
Colby: 10
Roger: 10
Austin: 9
Buzzy: 9
Pam: 5
Jennifer: 0
Alan: 0
Leonard: 0
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Austin was a Ys guy in making his name “Austy” for his initial sign-in when seen at the opening with Buzzy & Colby. He went Austin for the real play of the DJ! round.

2 of the 3 DDs were all-in and good move since the clues were not too difficult to figure out.

What to do in the FJ! round? Each team had their third team member playing. BRITISH LITERATURE should not be scary for J! contestants. Each team decided to bet a lot. Team Colby got out with a narrow lead.

Team Buzzy’s deficit could have been worse, so they have to be happy not to be trailing by more.

A miss for me on the FJ! clue matching Alan & Leonard with nothing. After time was up and within five seconds I worked out a guess of “water, water” in thinking my old buddy Coleridge. Nope.

Tough clue though a good one for special play, first day. I guess the path was some kind of Kipling animal brainstorm game. Leszek might get it in recalling a Blake clue in his ToC finals.

New player line-up tomorrow for day 2 and all I can hope for is a correct response in the FJ! round to have the winning team getting to the finals with a forward move.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

This was an incredible Final Jeopardy clue, especially considering this tournament and situation, maybe even one of the best in the history of the show, taking situation into account.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Leander

Post by Leander »

Played this FJ off the clue of the day, and found “double-talk” maybe a little misleading, as I was led to think about nonsense words and phrases, which of course got me nowhere. Never would have thought they simply meant a word repeated twice.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Leander wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:43 pm Played this FJ off the clue of the day, and found “double-talk” maybe a little misleading, as I was led to think about nonsense words and phrases, which of course got me nowhere. Never would have thought they simply meant a word repeated twice.
I didn't get the "double talk" portion until after I came up with the answer. Kipling -> Jungle book -> Shere Khan? Bagheera? Kaa? -> me thinking: "Oh, tiger, and Blake had the poem that opens "Tyger tyger" -> Ah, that's repeated. That must be the double-talk, so this is probably it

I worried that maybe it might be the whole first line, but I figured the double talk clue suggested it was just the repeated word tiger.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

the writers use that "double talk" convention quite often, not only in clues but as it's own standalone category.

I knew exactly what THAT part of the clue wanted, but I definitely couldn't come up with the answer. I spun my wheels on dates and authors when I should've started by pondering that story's animal cast that I know extremely well.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Got stuck for too long trying to make something of "Rikki Tikki Tavi," which is not quite double-talk.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I needed a different hint and path to solve the FJ! clue: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0531157/

Another path that could have helped me is knowing there is an episode of The X-Files named "Fearful Symmetry" with those words appearing in the poem.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I would have gotten it easily had the clue mentioned it also being the title of a "Brady Bunch" episode.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I felt genuinely bad for Alan upon seeing his reaction after the FJ reveal. He looked extremely upset at himself, and I wonder if it was because he knew it and couldn't get it in time or if it was the wager and keeping the other teams so close. I hope it doesn't (didn't) influence his play in the next game, because I really like watching him. Granted, some of the others didn't look so happy, either (even those who didn't play FJ), but Alan was visibly shaken.

My thoughts on the tourney: It's fun and different. The only thing I'd change is the wild card match being a 1-game event, and then a 3-night final where each team member must play each of the rounds....but the possibility of the 3rd game being mostly moot due to one team running away with games 1 and 2 is there.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Now this tourney is cooking with gas. Exactly the kind of scores I would expect from this trio. So of course it all comes apart in FJ. The scores are low enough that the only thing that'll really matter is tomorrow's match, with should be a thriller.

FJ took a full 27 seconds, and strangely enough, thinking about The Jungle Book didn't do me much good, but the second I switched tracks to poetry, tiger tiger came to me instantly. This despite poetry being a glaring weakness of mine. *shrug*
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I haven't even been keeping track of who's where, but this has been a fun tournament to watch just the same.

Proud of myself for recognizing Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

As usual, I see no way to shortcut 360/8 to figure out how big an octant is. Can't drop the 0 because 36/8 doesn't come out even.

Strangely, "fork in the road" was my only miss in Idioms. Just couldn't jump from "utensil" in time because my brain got stuck on knives.

Would they have accepted "Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz" on Trios for $800?

I actually know the Blake poem from Calvin & Hobbes but I just had nothing on this. Not even a WAG.

Lach Trash: "mad as a wet hen"
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:51 pm As usual, I see no way to shortcut 360/8 to figure out how big an octant is. Can't drop the 0 because 36/8 doesn't come out even.
360/2=180
180/2=360/4=90
90/2=180/4=360/8=45

Took me a second in game time, but I said it the same time as Roger.

A barn-burner followed by a rare FJ! triple stumper. Tomorrow will be the one to watch!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

loved not having to hear the lame "make it a true daily double"....all in is such a better phrase
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 pm I would have gotten it easily had the clue mentioned it also being the title of a "Brady Bunch" episode.
was that the episode where tiger showed the world he wasn't a dead beat dad?
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I wonder if this FJ is one of those where knowing more than the bare minimum hurts you. The answer came to me within about 5 seconds but I also have a very, very light knowledge of British poetry and moderate for British Lit, so there wasn't as much to get through.

I found it interesting that all three teams put their first pick in J!, captain in DJ!, and second pick in FJ!. I think that makes a lot of sense in the earlier rounds, but in a quasi winner takes all two day scenario, I am a bit surprised one of the three teams didn't trust Alan/Leonard/Jennifer to hold their own in the J! round and then put ostensibly their "stronger" player in FJ where they could maximize their chances of potentially doubling up. This is a lot of uncharted territory admittedly and I wonder how it'll shift in Game 2 with all three teams still competitive. (Edit: Especially with how David Madden's big bet played out in the second episode/first game).
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

HOLY SHIT COLBY!

Also, instagot FJ. Thanks. Dr. Passmore!
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:51 pm I haven't even been keeping track of who's where, but this has been a fun tournament to watch just the same.

Proud of myself for recognizing Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

As usual, I see no way to shortcut 360/8 to figure out how big an octant is. Can't drop the 0 because 36/8 doesn't come out even.
A quarter circle is 90 degrees, so an eighth is 45.