Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Re: Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, now I know where Chris Claremont got the idea to name one of the Madripoor gangleaders in "Wolverine" "Tyger Tiger" back in the late 1980s. I always thought that it was a puzzling and stupid name. I never knew it came from Kipling.

I thought that the aggressive wagers were foolish because the clue was likely to be extremely tough in this situation. The fact that they all swung and missed pretty much makes it anyone's game tomorrow.

When the DJ round started, I though that it was likely to be the best round of the tournament so far because you had three mega-great players, none of whom was a buzzer demon. I was right. Wow!
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This episode fulfills the promise that this tournament had; three teams of heavyweights, evenly matched. On a personal note, I got to see Alex vs. Roger at Long last. Very well crafted FJ but I whiffed on it. I pegged the poem to early 19th C but didn’t know that Blake was from that era despite understanding what the double speak hint meant. I wasnt too surprised to to see it was a TS. Tomorrow should prove to be interesting. Roger vs. Alex redux in DJ?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not a prayer on FJ. I said Absalom, Absalom, which doesn't even fit the category.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I had nothing on FJ. Definitely a head-slapper on the reveal.

I felt like that was a very tough DJ board. I'm glad I wasn't playing it.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Especially against those players I'll bet. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I haven't even had a guess at FJ yet in this tournament.

I got the circle by dividing 360 by 4 and then dividing the result by 2.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:33 pm This was an incredible Final Jeopardy clue, especially considering this tournament and situation, maybe even one of the best in the history of the show, taking situation into account.
Agreed, this was a great FJ. Took me about 20 seconds to get it. 8-) Louie Louie would've been a great joke answer. :mrgreen:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

That SJ board was a dream for me - the DJ not so much.

Got FJ after a brief trip through Xanadu and a sail with a mariner. Blake was late 1700s, tygers are in the jungle book. Lock it.

Close match. Anyone's game. Tomorrow will be fun.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Not being able to ring in on "zero sum" had to frustrate Alex and his poker background.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Golf wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:31 pm Not being able to ring in on "zero sum" had to frustrate Alex and his poker background.
Though he was beat by a computer scientist with expertise in game theory... They all knew that one.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Leander wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:43 pm Played this FJ off the clue of the day, and found “double-talk” maybe a little misleading, as I was led to think about nonsense words and phrases, which of course got me nowhere. Never would have thought they simply meant a word repeated twice.
me too. War is peace Freedom is slavery Ignorance would have helped me with this clue...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:33 pm This was an incredible Final Jeopardy clue, especially considering this tournament and situation, maybe even one of the best in the history of the show, taking situation into account.
Agreed, this was a great FJ. Took me about 20 seconds to get it. 8-) Louie Louie would've been a great joke answer. :mrgreen:
would have gone with baby, baby
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

3/3... tempted to skunk tomorrow's FJ (if i'm not already stumped) for a 75% get rate on the week.

I don't know how my brain figured this out either, somehow I started out with "fire, fire" and then the long i plus older poet reference (plus, likely subconsciously, Shere Khan's tail) morphed it into "tiger, tiger"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:06 pm Got stuck for too long trying to make something of "Rikki Tikki Tavi," which is not quite double-talk.
You ain't the Lone Ranger, your avatar be damned :) .

I know nuttin' about poetry so I just tried to cram a Jungle Book WAG. I wasn't sure what qualified as double speak, so settled on Rikki Tikki, with the hope that Tavi and/or Mongoose had an independent connection. We both beat Leonard and Alan at least.

Since they are playing to advance, instead of the cash, it almost is a No Harm No Foul event. Assuming Alan recovers, which I'm guessing he will play DJ so Colby can play SJ the next round.

Sorry to see my new fave Leonard with the fail. I had no idea if this FJ was hard or not, but it doesn't look like it will poll above 40% so far. I'd love to know if their team mates were sitting their biting their tongue, or just being thankful it wasn't their turn in the barrel.

We have twelve hens, and they really don't get mad about a little rain. Now you take the eggs they are sitting on - different story.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I solved this FJ, but it was hard work. Usually I either get FJs fairly quickly or not at all. I wish I had to work for it more often; I like being right, but there's a special satisfaction when a little bit of agony is involved.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,400
46 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

This was one of the WAGgiest correct FJ! responses I've ever given. I scoured through my meager knowledge of British poetry for about 20 seconds before remembering that I have seen references to some William Blake poem with the peculiar spelling of Tyger in the title. I briefly considered whether it could be some tiger-related words like "Roar Roar," but I decided to keep it simple and roll the dice with "Tiger Tiger." I just about lost my, um, composure when Alex revealed the correct response.

I loved the Three Gorges clue. That's what a DD is supposed to be.

Tomorrow will be very interesting. Assuming that Jennifer plays the J! round and isn't able to make up ground, it's going to be up to Alex to really put the hammer down in DJ! If anyone can do it against this level of competition, he can.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:12 pm I had nothing on FJ. Definitely a head-slapper on the reveal.
Same here. So obvious in retrospect. I guess the fact that three of the best players in the history of the show also whiffed is some consolation...
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Fishercat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:12 pm I wonder if this FJ is one of those where knowing more than the bare minimum hurts you. The answer came to me within about 5 seconds but I also have a very, very light knowledge of British poetry and moderate for British Lit, so there wasn't as much to get through.

I found it interesting that all three teams put their first pick in J!, captain in DJ!, and second pick in FJ!. I think that makes a lot of sense in the earlier rounds, but in a quasi winner takes all two day scenario, I am a bit surprised one of the three teams didn't trust Alan/Leonard/Jennifer to hold their own in the J! round and then put ostensibly their "stronger" player in FJ where they could maximize their chances of potentially doubling up. This is a lot of uncharted territory admittedly and I wonder how it'll shift in Game 2 with all three teams still competitive. (Edit: Especially with how David Madden's big bet played out in the second episode/first game).

I see it that the weakest clicker has to do a FJ. FJ is is the most variable round but it also isn't necessarily the hardest. DJ is when you want the best clicker. Pretty sure that any contestant can answer on average at least half the board if sole player. Assuming the players have similar knowledge, then getting to answer is the most important thing. In that the round features two DD, it can swing the most in your favor if you can find them and answer yourself. Of course, I'm not saying you hunt it right off the bat if your total is not substantial. Build a bit and then go for the double/big wager. The objective of the match is to be the top scorer for FJ and then, bet that you advance with a correct answer. Any other choice is having no control and winning is only if the leader is WRONG.

That is just my take.

I would play Fastest, Medium, Slowest
then, Slowest,Fastest, Medium
yclept

Post by yclept »

Roger had a tough time in his first match - glad to see him bounce back tonight. Pam did well to put her team in position to have a shot in DJ, and damn did Colby have himself quite the round. DJ was just a spectacle to watch. Of course, Alex did his thing - that is always assumed.

Best part of the final, given the wagers, is that it wasn’t a single get. Not that any lead is safe, but it would have been tough going for the teams left behind.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:08 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 pm I would have gotten it easily had the clue mentioned it also being the title of a "Brady Bunch" episode.
was that the episode where tiger showed the world he wasn't a dead beat dad?

It certainly was, but what kind of name is Tiger for a dog?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.