LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:16 pm There was also a "name the two countries separated by the Yalu River" question on LL in 2014. Too bad for my opponent that he only joined last year; he would have had a 9(6) if he'd gotten it right. At least I gave him a zero for it and lost 8(5)-9(5). (I would have guessed "love" had I not assumed "Endless Love" was just a song title and not a film title. I gave the ridiculous answer of "coffee.")
That was the season with the famous David Mamet question, so I had just looked over those questions last week, thanks to the LL message board discussion. Coupled with that FJ from last year, it looks like I can finally cross another one off the "I always get it wrong" list.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Among a number of unlucky late changes of mind the last couple of days, the most costly was my decision, on the ice giants question, that "all" begins with three. It isn't something that I would argue very strongly, but it struck me as one of those nuances of wording intended to reward the careful reader.
I'm smart and I want respect.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thorsten, rightly, gets credited for his subtle and clueful way of writing questions. However, we all make mistakes. Leaving that jumbled question looking for 'recombinant' out for anyone to see is one of Thorsten's. Ugh.

My opponent was able to parse it, and thought I would get it, so it didn't affect me. Our resident biochemist (both on the board and my house) PrussC got it, but only after agonizing for too long considering she works with and teaches about the stuff.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lost by 1 point yesterday after I came out on the wrong side of two 50 50 90 guesses.

I thought Mexico first, thinking that they had an election recently and that was what the question was referencing, then I switched to Venezuela, thinking that it had to do with all the drama down there, then I switched back to Mexico, thinking that the election angle was more likely there.

I also lost out on the 50/50 guess between polo and croquet, though I wasn't confident on either and wasn't even sure if polo was considered to be a lawn sport. Getting either question would have meant a tie, and getting both would have been a win.

At least I can pat myself on the back for Limerick after I nearly overthought that one. I thought that it was going to be one of those weird terms like "iambic pentameter" that I never bothered to learn and was trying to think if I had heard a term like that that had the name of a city in it. For some reason I thought of Dublin, then I made the leap to Limerick, and I had my duh moment when I again noticed the aabba structure clue.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Recombinant was my only miss yesterday. I tried to parse it three ways from Sunday, and the best I could do was CRISPR. Obviously I know what recombinant DNA is, but that clue definitely wasn't getting me to it, even after I saw what the answer he was looking for was.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Honestly, getting croquet correct was a happy accident. There are only so many lawn sports, fewer still that were popular around that time. I almost went with badminton (being vaguely similar to tennis) or bowls, then remembered Alice in Wonderland.

Recombinant, though, was literally the only thing I could think of given the parameters of the question. Though I may not have known the exact definition, the use of that adjective is extremely restrictive.

I was also rather close on the freight line. Why I went with San (Francisco) instead of Santa Fe given the latter's history in railroads I'll never know.

Sorry, morbeedo. I'm sure we'll both be out of our respective rundle-changing positions shortly.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

The only reason I got croquet was that I always thought the club was a tennis and bowling club, but not too long ago I saw a similar question and found out it was a tennis and croquet club. I went with the wrong direction on the train clue, going with southern over northern. I misread the math question, and said range which I knew was the Y part of the formula (RTFQ). I was close on the DNA question, figuring it was an uncommon science word starting with R, but could not get to the correct answer as I said replicant. All didn't matter too much, as my opponent only got the last 2 (as did I) in a 2(3) - 1(2) win. Even with my 16% correct rate in Lit, I couldn't get more than 1 point for Limerick...
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:17 am I misread the math question, and said range which I knew was the Y part of the formula (RTFQ).
Oh dang, range IS specifically for the dependent variable, isn't it? I still may not have come up with domain, though. It's been years since I've done much mathematical graphing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:35 am
classicroadster wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:17 am I misread the math question, and said range which I knew was the Y part of the formula (RTFQ).
Oh dang, range IS specifically for the dependent variable, isn't it? I still may not have come up with domain, though. It's been years since I've done much mathematical graphing.
I also went with range.

The surprising one for me yesterday was BNSF. I couldn't believe Thorsten only made us provide what just a single letter stands for and the get rate was still under 50%. I really expected it to be at least 75%.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:00 am
I also went with range.

The surprising one for me yesterday was BNSF. I couldn't believe Thorsten only made us provide what just a single letter stands for and the get rate was still under 50%. I really expected it to be at least 75%.
Domain and range are in alphabetical order. x goes on the left, y on the right in an equation. x is the domain, y is the range.

I looked at the BNSF question 4 times to make sure he really only wanted one of the letters. I was prepared with the full name.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:02 am Sorry, morbeedo. I'm sure we'll both be out of our respective rundle-changing positions shortly.
Terrible day for me! And I'm in the red zone due to an embarrassing MD2 forfeit
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 am
I also went with range.

Domain and range are in alphabetical order. x goes on the left, y on the right in an equation. x is the domain, y is the range.

I looked at the BNSF question 4 times to make sure he really only wanted one of the letters. I was prepared with the full name.
Me too, and color me shocked that it polled so low. Domain and range I fortunately got straight when my son took Algebra two years ago, otherwise my Kosman koin may have turned up range, too. As an aside, after two straight seasons of what seemed like magically good luck, the chickens have definitely come home to roost. I'm last in my Rundle and .200 below my historical get rate this season. I've had a couple of RTFQ misses, but for the most part this season's questions have just played harder for me. Oh, and my opponents would rank 2nd in the Maso standings right now...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:50 am Recombinant was my only miss yesterday. I tried to parse it three ways from Sunday, and the best I could do was CRISPR. Obviously I know what recombinant DNA is, but that clue definitely wasn't getting me to it, even after I saw what the answer he was looking for was.
I went through the entire alphabet and knew I heard of R-DNA...but had no idea what the R stood for and would've never come close on a guess.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I also went with range.

You may want to double check that left/right thing. Now which one is the biggest planet again?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:42 am
I also went with range.

You may want to double check that left/right thing. Now which one is the biggest planet again?
Er, um, yeah ... shoulda stuck with alphabetical.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I said "Young English Artists." Bleh. At least I still won my public match. (The private one ended up being a tie.)

Edit: I should acknowledge the fact that being that close to correct meant that I knew what category the question fell into, and hence how to defend it properly (rather than throwing a number at an impenetrable list of names), which may have saved me from worse outcomes.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Rachel Whiteread, Sarah Lucas, Cornelia Parker, Christine Borland, Gillian Wearing, and Michael Landy are among a loosely affiliated group of individuals who have been referred to collectively by what term,

based on their relative age,
...Young?
nationality,
...British??
and shared vocation?

...Designers???

<submit>

Aaargh!!! So close.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I had old British and something, but I don't remember what I put

lost my match on a coin flip of message over mail
Total game show career losings = $171,522
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Does anyone know why today is an off-day for LL?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There's something reasonably satisfying about a 4(4)-4(4) tie. I didn't screw up, and I didn't profit from luck, either.

Two questions in the teens ... definitely not Kids Week this time.