Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by periwinkle »

That Three Gorges DD was a killer (I've been near there - admittedly decades ago - and I had no idea what the clue was asking for). The Solomon DD was pretty difficult too. Both of them needed puzzling out, and Colby was so fantastic to watch as he did it.

That whole DJ round was so good. Really tough clues and categories (the pharoahs category had me wondering if I would know any, though I ended up getting two - I wouldn't get Rameses without The Ten Commandments as a TOM). This whole tournament is such a great chance to see these terrific, exceedingly knowledgeable competitors testing themselves against each other and tougher clues than usual.

FJ was interestingly difficult to figure out, but I was a little surprised that none of them got it. (I was an English major, so it's more in my wheelhouse, though I never read Kipling in college, but definitely read Blake then.) I was stuck for a bit because I know Just So Stories much much better than The Jungle Book as a book, but I saw the animated movie a lot when my kid was young and it was one of his favorites, so I knew the animal characters easily. I tried to think through incidents in the book, then skipped back to think about poems with a repeated word in the opening sentence, and figured out Blake's Tyger, Tyger before too long.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Boston Garden, Tonnage, Gamesmanship, Zero-Sum, Outlander, and West Memphis 3.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Philippines, Wet Hen, George Balanchine
Douglas Squasoni
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

periwinkle wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:36 am That Three Gorges DD was a killer (I've been near there - admittedly decades ago - and I had no idea what the clue was asking for). The Solomon DD was pretty difficult too. Both of them needed puzzling out, and Colby was so fantastic to watch as he did it.
I was even more impressed with Colby's identification of the "West Memphis 3." I've seen those documentaries, they're fascinating and I recognized the names - but Paradise Lost is over 20 years ago and I wasn't coming up with that tag for them so fast, especially because you had to connect West Memphis with Arkansas... :roll:

I became pretty lost on FJ trying to think of a double talk title about a hundred years before Jungle Book - and there was no obvious reason to tie it to a character in Kipling...Kudos to those who made the connection...
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:06 pm Got stuck for too long trying to make something of "Rikki Tikki Tavi," which is not quite double-talk.
That's where I was as well.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:08 pm
periwinkle wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:36 am That Three Gorges DD was a killer (I've been near there - admittedly decades ago - and I had no idea what the clue was asking for). The Solomon DD was pretty difficult too. Both of them needed puzzling out, and Colby was so fantastic to watch as he did it.
I was even more impressed with Colby's identification of the "West Memphis 3." I've seen those documentaries, they're fascinating and I recognized the names - but Paradise Lost is over 20 years ago and I wasn't coming up with that tag for them so fast, especially because you had to connect West Memphis with Arkansas... :roll:
Damien Echols has had something of a public presence (especially on social media) since his release.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:07 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:08 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 pm I would have gotten it easily had the clue mentioned it also being the title of a "Brady Bunch" episode.
was that the episode where tiger showed the world he wasn't a dead beat dad?

It certainly was, but what kind of name is Tiger for a dog?
going to have to ask the actual owners of the dog...tiger was also his name in real life...schwartz too lazy to think of something else for onscreen i guess
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I got to Three Gorges Dam, but then figured those were towns or villages. Argh!!

Solomon was easy for me. "King Solomon's Mines" popped into my head.

Nothing jumped out at me for FJ!, not even a tyger. Apparently, I'm in good company.
OCSam
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:37 pm
I got to Three Gorges Dam, but then figured those were towns or villages. Argh!!

Solomon was easy for me. "King Solomon's Mines" popped into my head.

Nothing jumped out at me for FJ!, not even a tyger. Apparently, I'm in good company.
same for me...sharon stone and richard chamberlain got it done for me
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:08 pm
Yes, Colby was super impressive on that one!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm loved not having to hear the lame "make it a true daily double"....all in is such a better phrase
No way, triviabro. Gotta make it a TDD
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:41 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm loved not having to hear the lame "make it a true daily double"....all in is such a better phrase
pizz on that sheep crap
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 pm
pizz on that sheep crap
Sorry, bro. "True Daily Double" is on-brand. "All in" ain't.

It's like hearing Olivia Colman when everyone's expecting Glenn Close

Of course, if I get the opportunity, I'm going to say, "Alex, I'll bet the whole hog"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 pm
pizz on that sheep crap

Of course, if I get the opportunity, I'm going to say, "Alex, I'll bet the whole hog"
for me...i would say..."all in, dude"... would like to go with "all in, mutha_ _ _ _", but i am sure the suits would not care for it
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 pm
pizz on that sheep crap

I hope to say one of two things, depending on the situation. "Alex, I've always wanted to say this. Let's bet $5" or "Alex, I hoped it would never come to this. Let's make it a true daily double."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:59 am I hope to say one of two things, depending on the situation. "Alex, I've always wanted to say this. Let's bet $5" or "Alex, I hoped it would never come to this. Let's make it a true daily double."
In the first game of my ToC final, after we cleared out one category I jumped to THE NEW YORK TIMES DINING AND WINE for $800, fully planning on hitting a DD there, having Alex say, "You can bet any or all of your $1,800," and responding, "And I will—bet $5." (Joke would have been on me, since I got that one right.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I just came across a Pitchfork list of 50 Best Movie Soundtracks of All Time which had Pulp Fiction as #10:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... me/?page=5
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am I just came across a Pitchfork list of 50 Best Movie Soundtracks of All Time which had Pulp Fiction as #10:

So, peeking out from under the rock, I thought the idea of movie soundtracks ended with the 8-track player. Or certainly with the advent of the IPod, if not the cassette that you could make your own playlist. Movie soundtracks were a way to have a playlist of different artists.

Except for "O Brother Where Art Thou" (#20) which introduced an entire genre, I'm surprised soundtracks are even discussed, much less available commercially (if they are, but no artist is going to turn down residuals).

I'm not sure it's fair that a sampled song (opposed to original work like Titanic) can become iconic to the movie. But, to be fair, I don't hear Steppenwolf "Born to Be Wild" or "The Weight" without thinking of Easy Rider :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am I just came across a Pitchfork list of 50 Best Movie Soundtracks of All Time which had Pulp Fiction as #10:

Woof. What an awful list. I mean, I wasn't expecting Thief or The Grey Fox, even though those soundtracks totally belong on such a list. But not even Chariots of Fire or Blade Runner? Or The Muppet Movie? Baby Driver? Brazil? Mulholland Drive? Dr. Zhivago? Lawrence of Arabia? The Godfather? The Sting? Star Wars? E.T.? Koyaanisqatsi? Wow.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Woof. What an awful list. I mean, I wasn't expecting Thief or The Grey Fox, even though those soundtracks totally belong on such a list. But not even Chariots of Fire or Blade Runner? Or The Muppet Movie? Baby Driver? Brazil? Mulholland Drive? Dr. Zhivago? Lawrence of Arabia? The Godfather? The Sting? Star Wars? E.T.? Koyaanisqatsi? Wow.
On the one hand, they did say 'soundtrack' and not 'score,' which eliminates most of those (and Baby Driver might be too new? I didn't check the date on the list)...but they somehow shoehorned in The Shining anyway...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)