Friday, March 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Friday, March 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by boson »

Drama! That was fun to watch, probably at lot less fun to play for 6 of them, with a lot of second guessing. I'm sure the extra 25k$ each will make people happier.

Great job by Colby and team coming up the middle. The small wager on both finals won it for them. My recommendation would be to do the same against the Ken/Brad firepower.

30200 Coryat, FJ :mrgreen: . I'll call that a win from the couch, game format aside.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I wonder if any of the nine contestants today have ever seen an episode of the game show Name That Tune. It lasted aired in 1985. I predict it will never be back, because modern contestants are only familiar with the hit versions of songs. Name That Tune involved the studio orchestra playing the songs for the contestants to guess.

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:19 am
DD3 for 15600-15600 against 4800 & 4900 at the time did not work out for Alex. Cue up the gif for great vengeance and furious anger.
You mean the gif of hubris?

That ivy league category illustrates why the game should be played from the top down. By the time they got to that Dartmouth clue, four of the others would have been eliminated.

I expected that reversal on crayon, because I believe crayon is the French word for pencil. I wish the writers would better think through the answers, especially in a tournament like this.

Final was so easy I had it before the think music even started playing. What was with those two answers from the 19th century?
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm very happy for Team Colby, but I'm sad that we won't see Alex J go up against Ken. After the pummeling he gave Brad, I really wanted to see that matchup. If only Team Buzzy had sent me in as a pinch responder for that DD. I knew it was Pulp Fiction.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Went with Hoover 1928 at first and moved forward, getting to Eisenhower 1952 well within time.

Isn't Name That Tune known as Beat Shazam these days? :P
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Welp, that was BRUTAL to watch. The questions over the course of this tourney don’t seem harder than everyday play & FJ was incredibly easy. I hope the Final is a marked improvement. I’m sorry to see Roger & Alex go but I do like Pam’s game. She knows stuff I don’t know.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:44 pm Welp, that was BRUTAL to watch. The questions over the course of this tourney don’t seem harder than everyday play & FJ was incredibly easy. I hope the Final is a marked improvement. I’m sorry to see Roger & Alex go but I do like Pam’s game. She knows stuff I don’t know.
It looked like everyone’s fourth game in two days of taping.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Does anybody have stats on the largest amount won,lost or wagered on a Daily Double?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,200
42 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Princeton (DD), greenskeeper, World Book Encyclopedia, Pulp Fiction (DD)

I feel so bad for Alex. It didn't seem like the right place for him to go all in again, but I totally get (and often advocate for) taking a shot at putting the match out of reach with one clue.
teapot37 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:47 pm Ouch on that second DD in the second round. I knew that one cold (I have listened to that soundtrack more times than I can count) but I can see it being impenetrable if you weren't familiar.
Yep. It was definitely one where it helped to be of a certain age. Urge Overkill's video for "Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon," with its interspersed clips from the movie, played in heavy rotation on MTV*.

I'm surprised FJ! played as hard as it did. Prior to President Trump, "president who wasn't a career politician" seems Pavlovian for Ike.

* - For those who are not of a certain age, the cable reality TV channel MTV once filled the majority of each broadcast day with music videos. You had to be there.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:06 pm Does anybody have stats on the largest amount won,lost or wagered on a Daily Double?
Andy has some here:
https://thejeopardyfan.com/2016/03/thro ... tting.html

I remembered one more with Charbel Barakat on 12/24/18 doing +10600 on DD2
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

The wildcard match turned out to be something of a letdown with no correct FJ answers in either game. When the clue popped up tonight I was surprised they went with something so easy with so much on the line. I never would have guessed it would be a TS.

It would have been great to see Alex, Brad, and Ken go against one another, but it was not meant to be. Buzzy and Jennifer showed great class not appearing upset at all with Alex's wager. Tough breaks for them all around, as they would have gone straight through to the final match if Buzzy had gotten FJ right in their initial match.

Assuming Ken and Brad get paired up in the Jeopardy round in G1 and Double Jeopardy in G2, Team Colby is in a tough spot trying to figure out who to send out against them.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

When I was at Brown, I was hanging out in the back of a concert on campus. JFK, Jr. walked by in front of me, and I watched every female head swivel in unison. All I could think was, "Boy, that must be nice."

Went back too far to Grant. Pulp Fiction was an instaget, though.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Easiest FJ in a long time for me. It pays to KISS it sometimes. Well, we don't elect preachers or professors, must be a General. Ike -out in 1960 election, two terms = 1952. Check to be sure they don't want INAUGURATION year (+1); lock and load, maybe draw a nice smiley face.

A lot of what-if narratives from the wildcard match:

IMHO Alex was pitch perfect going all-in on DD3 if he liked the category at all. One question for victory, or try to get at least half of the remaining PLUS FJ for a shot at victory. They were only up about $4K net at that point. Of course with the FJ leverage they just needed to finish $4K ahead of Team Colby / $5K to Team Austin and still have to solve FJ. I concede to the wagering Vikings, but that is my instinct and I'm a little surprised at the second guessing here. It was a vicious question for me, I wonder if his teammates knew it and had to watch the train wreck in slow motion.

I forget the order of misses but what a weird triple miss. This quality contestant guessing at bottom row boxes when a clam nets you $2K over the opponent?

I was hoping for a Leonard statement performance. He played well and got a YEKIOYD DD and missed with a pretty good guess. He represented well. Tough outing for Jennifer and Buzzy. Roger rebounded nicely.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I get he was going for the kill, but that all in on the DD was a huge mistake.

Could they not have fixed the crayon clue while the player who got it was still on stage?

Started with 1928, but then started running through the presidents after Hoover and hit Ike.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 pm I was hoping for a Leonard statement performance. He played well and got a YEKIOYD DD and missed with a pretty good guess. He represented well.
I think that his DD could be puzzled out. Fitzgerald -> New Jersey -> Princeton. At least, that's a reasonable guess, and probably the reason why they included Fitzgerald instead of some current celeb whose academic or personal history might be familiar.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

I think this may be the most interesting two-game match ever. With Team Buzzy at $0 coming from behind and almost guaranteeing a victory, and the Final Jeopardy drama where Team Austin **just barely** had enough to win if and only if they wagered everything on the second day. And culminating in a FJ that should have been and instaget (I mean, seriously... this bit of trivia was EVERYWHERE after Trump was elected) and yet ended up being a triple stumper.

I'm a fan of Alan Lin so I'm happy to see him move forward. Of course, I'm also a fan of Roger and Austin, and I'm incredibly impressed with Leonard holding his own.

Regardless, I consider this one of the best Jeopardy episodes I've ever seen. It's been a long time since I had the roller coaster of emotions that I had tonight
goongas

Post by goongas »

I got this FJ instantly, knowing that non politician presidents were military men, and thought of Ike. I am guessing Alex's rationale for the big bet was the final jeopardy clues have been hard, and his team would have had to go all-in at some point, might as well do it in a pop culture category I believe he is strong in.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:38 pm Went with Hoover 1928 at first and moved forward, getting to Eisenhower 1952 well within time.

Isn't Name That Tune known as Beat Shazam these days? :P
beat shazam uses the lyrical versions rather than instrumental
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:03 pm When I was at Brown, I was hanging out in the back of a concert on campus. JFK, Jr. walked by in front of me, and I watched every female head swivel in unison. All I could think was, "Boy, that must be nice."

Went back too far to Grant. Pulp Fiction was an instaget, though.
did you ever hit up club babyhead? the only time i have ever been to providence was in the early 90s when i went to club babyhead for a death metal festival
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

$75K is a generous parting gift for losing Teams Buzzy and Austy, considering the 3rd place team in the finals will only share $100K. They should have left empty-handed

Man, I had a bad feeling on the SOUNDTRACK DD - that category was too wide open for me to feel any confidence. Would have bet $5, especially with a whopping $0 carryover score from Day 1. Pretty Woman came to mind, but I discarded it because 'woman' was already in the clue. I let the tape roll and said "a ha" after Alex delivered the bad news

I missed FJ. Presidential trivia is not my thing, so naturally I panicked and scribbled down a 20th c. election year. I only ended up off by 8 years. Agree that the 19th c. guesses made no sense. I mean, there's no reason why the last time couldn't be hundreds of years ago, but safe to assume the writers wouldn't make you go that far back
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 pm I was hoping for a Leonard statement performance. He played well and got a YEKIOYD DD and missed with a pretty good guess. He represented well.
I think that his DD could be puzzled out. Fitzgerald -> New Jersey -> Princeton. At least, that's a reasonable guess, and probably the reason why they included Fitzgerald instead of some current celeb whose academic or personal history might be familiar.
The Fitzgerald-Princeton connection was part of a FJ a few years ago. I got it from that and from being old enough to remember Brooke Shields being everywhere.