$0 FJ Wager Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What do you write down for your FJ question when you had a $0 wager?

The correct question. It's a pride thing.
63%
A personal message.
6%
A joke response.
24%
Other (though I'm not sure what).
8%

Total votes: 89

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: $0 FJ Wager Poll

Post by ouachiouat »

I put other because who am I to know what mood I'd be in? If it was my first game, I'd probably put the right answer down just to calm nerves going into game 2. Game 4 or 5? Though doubtful I'd be in that situation, I might be feeling spunky and throw down a joke answer. Who knows?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I knew it, I would write it down. If I were totally clueless or had no plausible guess, I would go for the personal shoutout to my wife and/or son.

Or really get things hopping on social media and writing down MAGA 2020.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Magna wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:19 pm Maybe a combination of question plus comment/joke.
Yes -- it's not an either/or. Or the right answer phrased weirdly -- e.g., for Aviation Disasters, "How many were Hindenburg?"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Where's the option for "I would never wager $0"?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Go with funny joke if possible. :lol:
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

I went for the pride, but if it was like, game 5 or something I'd probably go for the infamous "What is a man" response.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 pm Michael Dupée specifically says in his book that if you bet $0 in Final Jeopardy, you should not attempt the question, because otherwise, random people will ask you why you bet $0 on something you knew.
I will make one addendum to this:

If I am betting $0 because I am in a wagering situation where a wager of $0 is the only correct play (i.e. third from the first = second + half of third situation from Monday), I will play the question.

If I am betting $0 by choice, I'm punting the clue.
cheezguyty wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm Where's the option for "I would never wager $0"?
You should always be willing to wager any number you're allowed to. You never know when your only chance of winning is by making a $0 wager or by going all-in.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I'd be tempted to write something existential like "What is the meaning of life?" but when push comes to shove I am a showoff and would likely write the correct response. Plus, there is probably a site somewhere ;) that tracks % correct and stats like that, so I would want to put in my best showing.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:41 am I'd be tempted to write something existential like "What is the meaning of life?" but when push comes to shove I am a showoff and would likely write the correct response. Plus, there is probably a site somewhere ;) that tracks % correct and stats like that, so I would want to put in my best showing.
(WARNING!!! NSFW language)

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 am
cheezguyty wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm Where's the option for "I would never wager $0"?
You should always be willing to wager any number you're allowed to. You never know when your only chance of winning is by making a $0 wager or by going all-in.
Please describe a scenario where the only chance of winning is by making a $0 wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:06 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 am
Please describe a scenario where the only chance of winning is by making a $0 wager.
Obviously if you're in a situation where $0 is the ideal wager, you can get it right and then it doesn't matter what you wagered. But why make it depend on your getting it right if you don't have to?
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:06 pmPlease describe a scenario where the only chance of winning is by making a $0 wager.
You have $1 going into FJ!.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:12 pm The one time I bet $0 on FJ, I was the only contestant to get it right. I wouldn't give that up. Plus, it let my opponent in first place know a second earlier that she was going to lose.
Yes, nobody likes a slow-roller.

In general, I'd rather be right. For one thing, I don't want to risk developing bad habits. I might go with a joke, but it would have to be pretty funny.
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

GoodStrategy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:59 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:06 pmPlease describe a scenario where the only chance of winning is by making a $0 wager.
That still doesn’t make a $0 wager the only chance of winning. You could bet that $1 and get the answer correct while your opponents bet everything and get it wrong.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:12 am
That still doesn’t make a $0 wager the only chance of winning. You could bet that $1 and get the answer correct while your opponents bet everything and get it wrong.
I didn't think of that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, if the scores end up $1, -$1000, and -$2000, betting $0 isn't your only chance of winning, but it's certainly your only rational wager.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

GoodStrategy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:12 am
I didn't think of that.
Did I dream it, or is there a rule that they get three new contestants if everybody finishes busted?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:56 am
GoodStrategy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:12 am
I didn't think of that.
Did I dream it, or is there a rule that they get three new contestants if everybody finishes busted?
You are correct.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:07 am Well, if the scores end up $1, -$1000, and -$2000, betting $0 isn't your only chance of winning, but it's certainly your only rational wager.
we're we supposed to start being rational on page 2 of the thread?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:06 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:07 am Well, if the scores end up $1, -$1000, and -$2000, betting $0 isn't your only chance of winning, but it's certainly your only rational wager.
we're we supposed to start being rational on page 2 of the thread?
I want to see that game! It sounds like Sean O'Connery is in it! Maybe with Cliff Claven and Anderson Cooper? I know there was a $1 win after FJ lately, but I wonder what the lowest total going in has been? I think there's been plenty of 4 digit leaders but just how bad can you stink up $54,000 worth of clues? (this isn't a request for research - maybe there's a stock answer in somebody's RAM?)

ETA - finally remembered Connery's name, leaving unfixed in the spirit of the post :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.