FJs for the 2/25/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/25/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 pm

His seldom-used last name reflects his birth near the mouth of a river that flows from the Alps to the North Sea
67%
Interpreting for Vaclav Havel, future ambassador Rita Klimova gave us this phrase for a smooth change of government
41%
A chapter of "The Jungle Book" has this double-talk title, echoing the opening line of a Brit's poem some 100 years prior
30%
Prior to 2016 it was the last election year in which the winning candidate had never held public elected office
78%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all four above.
13%
:( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
8%
4,3,4 $200: Emily Post says those who get these cards, typically mailed 4 to 6 months before the wedding, must get invitations
73%
LEADERS $1200: Comic songs & sounds were his forte as 1940 bandleader of the City Slickers
27%
ON THE SOUNDTRACK $1600 box DD: 1994: "Son of a Preacher Man", "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"
42%
Michelangelo was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
14%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue with "Czech" something or "Prague" something.
7%
I was correct on the Thursday FJ! clue more through the "The Jungle Book" angle.
4%
I was correct on the Thursday FJ! clue more through the "double-talk title" angle
13%
I was correct on the Thursday FJ! clue more through the 100 years prior Brit poem angle.
12%
1956 was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue with a year in the 1800s.
7%

Total votes: 100

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 2/25/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN ARTISTS

2/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His seldom-used last name reflects his birth near the mouth of a river that flows from the Alps to the North Sea

2/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY HISTORY

2/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Interpreting for Vaclav Havel, future ambassador Rita Klimova gave us this phrase for a smooth change of government

2/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH LITERATURE

2/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A chapter of "The Jungle Book" has this double-talk title, echoing the opening line of a Brit's poem some 100 years prior

3/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEARS

3/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Prior to 2016 it was the last election year in which the winning candidate had never held public elected office

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Rembrandt van Rijn
velvet revolution
"Tiger! Tiger!"
The players were 4/12 (33.33%) with a 2-2-0-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested one the players got correct, a semi-requested triple stumper, and a missed Daily Double.

4,3,4 $200: Emily Post says those who get these cards, typically mailed 4 to 6 months before the wedding, must get invitations

LEADERS $1200: Comic songs & sounds were his forte as 1940 bandleader of the City Slickers

ON THE SOUNDTRACK $1600 box DD: 1994: "Son of a Preacher Man", "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
save the date
Spike Jones
Pulp Fiction
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 2/25/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Prague Progression
Water, Water after time was up
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Tyger Tyger burning bright, in the forests of the night.
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I’m not a Jeopardy! All-Star
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :( :( :( :(

That is the worst I've done on FJ in a long time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 pm :( :( :( :( :(

That is the worst I've done on FJ in a long time.
Yeah, 0/5 on four clues has to be painful. ;)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :( :mrgreen:

Double talk helped the most for me
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Happy to keep up with the players in these games. The material seems stepped up a little, but not crazy...
In the category of comic bandleaders, I was also prepared for a clue on Kay Kyser's Kollege of Musical Knowledge. Both him and Spike, I hasten to add, are too old for me to remember... :roll:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :(

I went 100 years back from The Jungle Book to the late 18th/early 19th century, and started trying to think of what poems were written then. Then I realized it was the heyday of that small pile of British guys, and just as I was about to mentally remind myself of who they were, "Tyger Tyger" popped into my head and I think I physically jolted. I'm counting that as a win for the "100 years prior" part of the clue.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :( A little heavy on pop music, aren't we?
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Michelangelo, mostly to say something. No guess Thursday; got stuck on Tennyson but knew the dates didn't match up.

I got Jones in the nick of time; it would have been a race to buzz in before the "time's up" signal.
Pulp Fiction was an instaget, however. I have that soundtrack. It's why I know "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon," "Son of a Preacher Man," and every other song on there aside from "Flowers on the Wall" and arguably "Misirlou," which I knew before I saw the movie, but wouldn't be surprised if only because the movie repopularized the song.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Goose egg, but I'm not surprised.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :( :(

I might have guessed Pulp Fiction were it FJ but I'd not be buzzing in shy of a finger slip.

I was familiar with the show's use of the "double talk" descriptor, but certainly I had to know the poem too. Luckily that's the first poem and the first words that "Blake" evokes. I spent some time playing with the nesting dolls but when I remembered Jungle Book was published pre-1900 Blake quickly supplanted them in my interest.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :(

Thought Rembrandt was a last name, but just went for Michelangelo and wouldn't have named the Dutch Master in 10 guesses.

Knew Velvet Revolution, can never remember Havel's name so flip it and I miss it.

Tiger Tiger rings a bell, but would have taken a month to resolve the next two words. Answered Riki Tiki.

I used to like Ike but not as much after learning about Operation Wetback.

I don't do weddings.
Heard of Spike Jones, the Weird Al Yankovich of his era.
I've heard of Sophie's Choice. Was that the one with Meryl Streep? (joking)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:17 am
Tiger Tiger rings a bell, but would have taken a month to resolve the next two words. Answered Riki Tiki.
It might be worthwhile though because "Burning Bright" is a chapter of Fahrenheit 451, another FJ favorite.

Ok, probably not worth a month.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Thrown off by the meaning of double-talk. Might have gotten this if I understood what they were going for.
Eisenhower an instaget, just had to confirm that 1952 was his first election year.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :( :( :(

Knew Havel was Czech. Have heard of the Velvet Revolution and associate it with Czechoslovakia. But "a smooth change of government" just didn't put me in mind of a revolution, velvet or otherwise. I had no chance on that clue. Spun my wheels on Tyger, Tyger trying to think of famous 18th century poets. Didn't even manage to think of Pope. He would have been too early but at least I would've felt I was getting somewhere. If I'd thought of Blake I'd have had it in a second. I don't really know The Jungle Book, but in retrospect I shouldn't have let that stop me from brainstorming jungle-related titles. 1952 and Eisenhower was obvious on reveal but again I just couldn't make my mind settle down and work it out. Those kinds of clues tend to induce panic in me. It seems as though there are so many possibilities to consider and not enough time. So I don't use the time I have very constructively. Definitely something to practice on if I get The Call.

I thought Save the Date cards were a recent-ish thing. Didn't know they went back to the Emily Post era. Still, WECIB? Especially with the 4-3-4 constriction. My dad was a big Spike Jones fan, so I grew up listening to him. Spike Jones, I mean. Obviously I didn't listen to my dad. I was a kid. I wasn't 100% confident on the Pulp Fiction guess but it seemed right. I knew Alex's guess of Pretty Woman was wrong because of the 1994 date in the clue.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Missed with "Gentle Revolution," but I liked Ike for one response and was correct with 1952. Had no response to "Tiger, Tiger" despite all three angles listed. Got "save the date," but have also heard it termed "hold the date," which meets the 4-3-4 criterion and makes me assume it would have been counted as correct if someone came up with it. Couldn't pull "Pulp Fiction" out of the memory bank in time; might have gotten it if 60 seconds had been allowed.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :(

My coryats have been middling so far through the tournament (~27,000, with a lot of negs) but at least I'm getting finals (only missed Senegal in the first game).

ON THE SOUNDTRACK $1600 was certainly tournament level without either "You Never Can Tell" or "Misirlou" present. Negged with Forrest Gump.
I would prefer not to.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I cannot at this point reconstruct how I got Thursday's clue, so I didn't vote.