$0 FJ Wager Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What do you write down for your FJ question when you had a $0 wager?

The correct question. It's a pride thing.
63%
A personal message.
6%
A joke response.
24%
Other (though I'm not sure what).
8%

Total votes: 89

mujason
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: $0 FJ Wager Poll

Post by mujason »

I remember this game http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=651 in which James Quintong had a lock game with only $4200 going into Final. And yes, this was with the doubled money values.
-Jason
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mujason wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:53 pm I remember this game http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=651 in which James Quintong had a lock game with only $4200 going into Final. And yes, this was with the doubled money values.
There was a late pre-doubled game where the winner had a lock with $2,000. For a long time, that game had no dynamics chart at the bottom of its archive, because it was so low-scoring it broke the software.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:13 pm
mujason wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:53 pm I remember this game http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=651 in which James Quintong had a lock game with only $4200 going into Final. And yes, this was with the doubled money values.
There was a late pre-doubled game where the winner had a lock with $2,000. For a long time, that game had no dynamics chart at the bottom of its archive, because it was so low-scoring it broke the software.

The $2800 gross (eq. $5600) is like an episode of Celebrity Jeopardy:). 18 wrong answers! Funny! (now at least).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Here's a game where someone had $1 going into FJ! after missing a DD (and gave a funny response!).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

GoodStrategy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:07 am Here's a game where someone had $1 going into FJ! after missing a DD (and gave a funny response!).
Funny stuff. Makes me wonder how many viewers or even boardies get the reference to the Superman imp, Mxyzptlk. Alex obviously didn't. I had forgotten all about that plot trope. That comic jumped the shark a few hundred times - the super monkey has to be the worst. I love Bizarro, however.

Kudos to Jared for wasting that buck!
FJ for convenience
Spoiler
Category: Americana
The original one of these on Mass.'s Little Brewster Island was built in 1716; automation didn't come until 1998
reveal:
Spoiler
(Alex Trebek: [Revealing Jared's response] What is... Kee-bert Xela, which is "Alex Trebek" backwards.)
(Jared: I heard that sends you back to another dimension.)
[Audience laughter]
(Alex Trebek: Sends me back where?)
(Jared: Another dimension.)
(Alex Trebek: To another dimension, yes, I will go back to another dimension as soon as we deal with the other players.)
(Alex Trebek: Alex will get to relax for the weekend while I go to that other dimension. So long.)
Jared What is KEBERT XELA
$1
Angel What is a lighthouse?
$8,000
Alex What is a lighthouse?
$7,000
a lighthouse
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

I actually think about this scenario a lot. It's kind of my dream to have a runaway and bet nothing. If I made a $0 wager but knew the correct response, I would try to make a joke that was an allusion to the correct response. For example, I knew the Texas Rangers FJ a few weeks ago, but had I been on the show and wagered $0, I would have made a Chuck Norris joke. Whenever I get the Final within 10 seconds, I always try to think of what joke I would make.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:47 am
GoodStrategy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:07 am Here's a game where someone had $1 going into FJ! after missing a DD (and gave a funny response!).
Funny stuff. Makes me wonder how many viewers or even boardies get the reference to the Superman imp, Mxyzptlk. Alex obviously didn't. I had forgotten all about that plot trope. That comic jumped the shark a few hundred times - the super monkey has to be the worst. I love Bizarro, however.

Kudos to Jared for wasting that buck!
FJ for convenience
Spoiler
Category: Americana
The original one of these on Mass.'s Little Brewster Island was built in 1716; automation didn't come until 1998
reveal:
Spoiler
(Alex Trebek: [Revealing Jared's response] What is... Kee-bert Xela, which is "Alex Trebek" backwards.)
(Jared: I heard that sends you back to another dimension.)
[Audience laughter]
(Alex Trebek: Sends me back where?)
(Jared: Another dimension.)
(Alex Trebek: To another dimension, yes, I will go back to another dimension as soon as we deal with the other players.)
(Alex Trebek: Alex will get to relax for the weekend while I go to that other dimension. So long.)
Jared What is KEBERT XELA
$1
Angel What is a lighthouse?
$8,000
Alex What is a lighthouse?
$7,000
a lighthouse
To be more specific, it was a reference to an episode of Family Guy that riffed off of Mr. Mxyzptlk.

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.