Monday, March 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7941, 2019-03-04

2019 All-Star Games final game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Pam Mueller, a think tank researcher from Culver City, California
Brad Rutter, an actor and producer from Los Angeles, California
Ken Jennings, a writer from Seattle, Washington

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the finals of the Jeopardy! All-Star games. There's a question I've been dying to ask all of you, and that is how do you feel about that opening montage? To me, it's dramatic. I love it. It reminds me of the way NASA introduced the Mercury astronauts over 50 years ago. You all look so serious when you're coming out. Ken, your reaction to it.

Ken: I've just started walking like that all the time now. That looks so great. I'm gonna have a fan with me. It's gonna be amazing.

Alex: Brad, what were some of the directions? You're in showbiz now. What were some of the directions they told you?

Brad: I remember a lot of "Back to one." "Okay, back to one." Yeah, actually, speaking of show business, that, uh, that 30 seconds of footage took about 3 1/2 hours to shoot.

Ken: Magic.

Brad: Yeah.

Alex: Colby, on your closeup, it was as if you were praying.

Colby: I just happened to put my hands together at the right time. And it looked really cool, but I will take any assistance from any supernatural deity in this endeavor.

Alex: All right. We're gonna take a commercial break, folks. When we come back, we will have three players out here to start us in the Jeopardy! Round. Stay with us, please.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOOD! (4/5)
WOMEN AUTHORS (5/5)
MEANINGS OF CELEBRITY NAMES (5/5) (Alex: And we're going to need the first and the last name.)
HOBBIES (5/5)
EUROPEAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"LET" GO (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brad: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Ken: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Pam: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brad found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Ken had $1,400, Brad had $1,000, and Pam had a deficit with -$600. Brad made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

EUROPEAN HISTORY $600: On March 1, 2007 170 Swiss troops accidentally wandered into & "invaded" this 62-sq-mi. nation--it was dark, OK?!

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ken: $4,200
Brad: $3,800
Pam: -$200

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOOD! $800: Canada & the U.S. have a longstanding trade dispute over this, a word for wood from any conifer

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ken: $8,000
Brad: $7,200
Pam: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SEA'S THE LIMIT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHAT'S YOUR NUMBER? (3/5)
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES (3/5)
ON BROADWAY (5/5)
COMPUTER SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SPLIT 3 WAYS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brad: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Ken: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Pam: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brad snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Ken had $8,000, Brad had $8,800, and Pam was at $1,600. Brad wagered $4,000.

COMPUTER SCIENCE $1200: In programming, these symbols "are standing by" to represent actions; in C++ some are =, * & of course ++

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ken who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Ken had $12,800, Brad had $17,600, and Pam was at $2,800. Ken wagered $3,800.

THE SEA'S THE LIMIT $1600: The northernmost part of this island nation ends in the Sea of Okhotsk

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT'S YOUR NUMBER? $1200: Created by Congress in 1996, this 3-digit plan, AKA the Qualified Tuition Program, can be used to help pay for college

WHAT'S YOUR NUMBER? $1600: Smaller than pica, this 12-character-per-inch type sounds like it's the best

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $800: In German if it's Dienstag, it must be this

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $2000: In Latin if something is happening "janius clausis", it's happening here

SPLIT 3 WAYS $400: In the Civil War the Army of the Potomac had several corps split into 3 of these units

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ken: $25,000
Brad: $22,800
Pam: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT WRITINGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Ken: Wager $20,601 to cover Brad. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $12,601.
Brad: Your score is within 4/5ths of Ken's, so wager between $4,401 (venusian) and $14,799 (martian), beating Ken's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Pam's part.
Pam: You just can't cover a rational wager by Brad, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its principles still used today, this treatise has chapters called "Weak Points & Strong" & "Tactical Dispositions"

FINAL SCORES
Pam: $4,000 + $4,000 = $8,000 (What is the Art of War)
Brad: $22,800 + $13,200 = $36,000 (What is The Art of War?)
Ken: $25,000 + $7,500 = $32,500 (What is the Art of War)
[Alan is grinning before his response is revealed.]
(Alex: [To Alan] Oh, Alan, I'll give you some advice. Never go to Las Vegas and play poker.)
(Alex: [To Alan] By Sun Tzu.)
(Alex: [To Monica] I have a feeling some of you practiced some of the precepts from that book in this tournament.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ken: $22,800, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Brad: $19,600, 26 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Pam: $4,000, 6 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $46,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Brad: 27/60 = .450
Ken: 23/59 = .390
Pam: 7/58 = .121
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MEANINGS OF CELEBRITY NAMES $600: Greek for "pure" is the origin of the first name of this actress, whose work is pure joy to watch
(Pam: Who... is... oh, no.)
(Ken: Who is Catherine?)
(Alex: We need the first and last.)
(Ken: Oh, Keener.)
(Alex: Thank you.)
(Ken: Thank you, Alex.)

MEANINGS OF CELEBRITY NAMES $800: "United Shades of America" is hosted by this comedian, who says "quiet warrior" is the meaning of his name

MEANINGS OF CELEBRITY NAMES $1000: Do not fear the reaper, from which the first name of this "Creed" actress is derived

MEANINGS OF CELEBRITY NAMES $200: This "You Oughta Know" singer has an Irish first name meaning "beautiful"; also, her dad is Alan
(Ken: Who is Morissette?)
(Alex: No.)
(Ken: Alanis!)
(Alex: I can't let you make the same mistake twice.)

WOMEN AUTHORS $800: The films "Strangers on a Train" & "The Talented Mr. Ripley" were based on novels by her
(Ken: Who is the talented [*]?)

"LET" GO $1000: They're on the tips of your shoelaces
(Ken: What are [*]?)
(Alex: [*].)
(Brad: I was going to say that!)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Liechtenstein
softwood
operators
Japan
Elite
Tuesday
behind closed doors
divisions
The Art of War
Catherine Keener
Kamau Bell
Tessa Thompson
Alanis Morissette
Patricia Highsmith
aglets
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT WRITINGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its principles still used today, this treatise has chapters called “Weak Points & Strong” & “Tactical Dispositions”

Team Ken (Monica): 25000+7500=32500
Team Brad (David): 22800+13200=36000
Team Colby (Alan): 4000+4000=8000

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Art of War

Daily Doubles
Team Brad (Brad): 1000+1000
Team Brad (Larissa): 8800+4000
Team Ken (Matt): 12800+3800

Coryats
Team Ken: 22800
Team Brad: 19600
Team Colby: 4000

Combined: 46,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Team Ken (Ken): 8000
Team Brad (Brad): 7200
Team Colby (Pam): 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The biggest stumper shocker of the day (if not the tournament so far) was no one knowing what to give when it's not pica. I may have to call a poll request myself for that one.

Alex let Ken slide once in MEANINGS OF CELEBRITY NAMES in only giving the last name and allowing him to complete it. Not even Ken was going to get grace the second time and Alex was appropriately quick on the neg trigger.

The FJ! clue seemed destined to get the teams off to a good start with only forward progress on the scoreboard. The third members selected from each team did just that getting the sweep. Team Brad had the healthiest wager to have a narrow lead for day 2.

I'm happy to have had a quick solve as well to give myself a chance at 4/8 for the All-Stars with tomorrow's clue.

Fantasy Points today:
Brad: 13
Larissa: 13
Ken: 12
Matt: 10
Pam: 4
Colby: 2

10 points each as well to Monica, David and Alan for solving the FJ! clue.

Ouch on Pam & Colby combining for just 6R in the J! and DJ! round. Much closer with 26 for Team Brad and 22 for Team Ken in the buzzer rounds.

Overall Fantasy leaders:
Alex: 49
Ken: 43
Larissa: 37
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

of course "it's easy when you know it," but I must assume that this FJ is going to poll WAAAAY higher than any other in this tournament. For the sake of excitement, I hope tomorrow's is tougher!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The questions are too easy. It’s a buzzer race and honestly it’s not great viewing for that reason
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:39 pm The questions are too easy. It’s a buzzer race and honestly it’s not great viewing for that reason
6 TS clues with quiet buzzers so some tougher material available for all. The players are "supposed" to know 90% of the material. Not counting the FJ! round that is what happened today.

As someone not in your league or the All-Stars I would say the material over the 9 games so far has had portions above regular play while many categories have not been difficult at all in creating kind of an uneven mix.

Yes, I agree buzzer skill over knowledge seems to be the more desirable asset.

It could turn around tomorrow with all teams still in contention for the FJ! round and one player getting a sole solve to decide it all.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Lot of Canadian material today.

I'm not liking this team format. I'd rather be watching Ken and Brad go at it for the full game. This calling in of the B Squad and the C Squad is is is is just not working.

Matt has not gotten any more civil with practice. He's still a blowhard who interrupts Alex. That is not cool.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pm Lot of Canadian material today.

I'm not liking this team format. I'd rather be watching Ken and Brad go at it for the full game. This calling in of the B Squad and the C Squad is is is is just not working.

Matt has not gotten any more civil with practice. He's still a blowhard who interrupts Alex. That is not cool.
No fan of that either. bleh

Strategy... that's pretty simple for a FJ.
Anything Sumerian, Egyptian, or Indian, I'm waving the white flag.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Alex was way too swift to drop the hammer on "Morrissette". Then again, Ken felt surprisingly un-Ken today.

"Division" was the most surprising TS of the day, IMO.

I had some surprising gets today. "Au pair", conquest, and most surprisingly of all, FJ! I don't know how, but it just clicked. An ancient text that sounds like it's talking about war... well, that must be The Art of War!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:39 pm The questions are too easy. It’s a buzzer race and honestly it’s not great viewing for that reason
I speak only for myself, but my Coryats have been lower the past two weeks than they are during regular play. Some of this might have to do with the speed of the players, but I certainly do not think these boards have been complete cakewalks as you suggest.
floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pm Matt has not gotten any more civil with practice. He's still a blowhard who interrupts Alex. That is not cool.
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but as Tony Stewart once said, I'd wreck my mother to win a championship. I never liked Tony Stewart, but certainly came to respect his mentality. In this case, if abandoning manners for a few minutes increases my odds of winning (ETA: going really fast to possibly throw players off-balance), then I have no problem talking over AT.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

only ancient writing i can name....surprised this was what they went with for final jeopardy in this game....infinitely easier than any of the other final jeopardy clues they had in any of the matches in this tournament
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

you think? i might have got the least correct of any jeopardy episode in recent memory
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

about the only thing i like about that POS
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I'll take the Canadiana - danke schon.

Larissa has such a calming voice and demeanor, it is easy to forget she not only knows the stuff, she's fast. She was ringing in furiously at some of those questions though - I don't remember seeing that before. By contrast, no one would ever call Matt calming.

If I was on Colby's team, I would have lobbied to wager nothing on final jeopardy . They are in the tournament final because they wagered less than the other wildcard teams on triple stumpers - that was their best chance to catch up today. Of course, we got the easiest final of the tournament, so my strategy failed... But they are a long way behind.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I stumbled on violin "bow", confused Dienstag with Donnerstag and NHO Von Neumann, but otherwise held my own and hit 4/4 (my bday, coming up!) on the big clues

Ran BROADWAY (duh), but had to think an extra second about Carousel

I love the fast pace, but I agree Matt could wait half a second to let AT do his job

You can sense the strong camaraderie on stage, but only 1 team gets the million ;)

I finished watching the Teen Tournament just before watching this game, and now I'm done to 169 episodes on the DVR :P
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pmMatt has not gotten any more civil with practice. He's still a blowhard who interrupts Alex. That is not cool.
!!!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 pm

How about we eliminate the name-calling?
goongas

Post by goongas »

My two dream categories categories came up, Broadway and Computer Science (degree). Didn't know the qubit, and even though I saw The Waverly Gallery, I forgot Elaine May's name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wonder if the difficulty in the FJs kept Ken and Brad from going really huge in today’s game? An instsget for me.

They should have made this a three day final with everyone playing one round.