Tuesday, March 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:56 am
evanakm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:50 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:31 am I had the 14th amendment ending slavery. Serious trivia fail.
I did too. I also had the 20th repealing prohibition, so my mistakes canceled out. I wish I could be this lucky when I need it.
For the last number I have always been able to remember it in matching it to usual legal drinking age.
Good way to remember it. Sadly, I, too, had the 20th.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:28 pm These boards have long since surpassed my skill set. Brad in DJ! was clearly the secret ingredient.

Strangely, Duran Duran was my only miss in Music.

Precalled my home state in the Lighthouse category.

I have no idea which amendment any of these are. I kinda vaguely almost know them, but can never pin any of them to a number. Just like which planet is biggest (which is it again? Seriously), it WILL NOT STICK no matter how or what i try.
I got all but one in Music, but Duran Duran was easy for me :D I think I missed the Rolling Stones clue. I liked the parenthesis remark.

Also, I always forget the name of the guy who starred in Groundhog Day and Ghostbusters. I know it's 2 first names, but I can never remember them. (Bill Murray)

Good on Larissa for finally winning a tournament :) That 3rd place in Fantasy was well-deserved. I look forward to seeing her in the Postultimate Tournament of Champions.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Obviously this tournament was very lopsided, part of that is because nobody is even near the same league as Brad and Ken. But it also didn't help that both Brad and Ken got to choose from players that were actually better than the other four captains. Heck, Colby even ceded the top dog spot to a teammate, which was probably the correct decision.

It was an interesting tournament, but the teams just weren't equitable.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:55 pm I am so sick of this. Congrats to Larissa.
:)

I guess in all supertournaments Brad needs a game to shake off the rust. He was a real killer today.
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

I was surprised how poorly Ben Ingram and esp. Roger Craig did. I thought they could challenge Brad and Ken.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

1 + 14? + 21 . Yuck.
Maybe? I would have realized the numerology play and allowed the doubt on 14 to notch it down. But 13th doesn't resonate, and 14th is very prestigious for the equal protection clause. I had a lock on 21 as we learned in 8th grade about the 18th as introducing Prohibition and 21st as repeal - both were drinking ages (18 in Kansas, 21 in Missouri) in the stone age.

Anti-climatic finish and a pure beatdown. The best team won. The best player won (sorry, Opus - Voldemort doesn't just play for the Patriots).

Is Alex a big Les Miserables junkie? That was pretty shrewd recognition of Team Colby total if it happened in real time. He could have seen the planning session or done the math during the think music (if he sees the wagers as well as the responses).

I don't need to see another one of these. But I'm glad to see one as I wasn't familiar with most of them.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 pm Obviously this tournament was very lopsided, part of that is because nobody is even near the same league as Brad and Ken. But it also didn't help that both Brad and Ken got to choose from players that were actually better than the other four captains. Heck, Colby even ceded the top dog spot to a teammate, which was probably the correct decision.

I think there are players that can go head-to-head with Brad and Ken. Certainly two that showed they were likely capable were on their teams in this event (Matt and Larissa) and two more have shown it in this tournament (Alex) and the last one (Roger), they just didn't have things fall their way to be able to take them on in the Finals.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:56 am
evanakm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:50 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:31 am I had the 14th amendment ending slavery. Serious trivia fail.
I did too. I also had the 20th repealing prohibition, so my mistakes canceled out. I wish I could be this lucky when I need it.
For the last number I have always been able to remember it in matching it to usual legal drinking age.
I use the legal voting ages. The 18th instituted Prohibition. The 21st repealed it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

akrites wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:33 pm I was surprised how poorly Ben Ingram and esp. Roger Craig did. I thought they could challenge Brad and Ken.
Ben played one buzzer round and lost 13R to 11R against Ken (plus Austin). Ben got his FJ! clue correct. To say Ben did poorly is not fair to him.

Someone else can handle the defense of Roger.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

The Cygnus X-1 clue brought a smile to this Rush fan. 8-)
Another easy FJ. :geek:
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:03 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 pm Obviously this tournament was very lopsided, part of that is because nobody is even near the same league as Brad and Ken. But it also didn't help that both Brad and Ken got to choose from players that were actually better than the other four captains. Heck, Colby even ceded the top dog spot to a teammate, which was probably the correct decision.

I think there are players that can go head-to-head with Brad and Ken. Certainly two that showed they were likely capable were on their teams in this event (Matt and Larissa) and two more have shown it in this tournament (Alex) and the last one (Roger), they just didn't have things fall their way to be able to take them on in the Finals.
Were the boards that hard? There were a few tough categories it seemed to me...but I have a few weak spots that corresponded to them (modern lit, contemporary tv). Could Colby just not buzz in quickly enough?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I think there are several who showed they are in the same league as Brad and Ken: Matt Jackson, Larissa Kelly and Alex Jacob all had rounds that were as good as Ken and Brad. Several people were just a smidge worse - Buzzy, Austin, Roger, Colby, Ben.

I agree the teams weren't equitable - mostly because the captains themselves weren't seeded. Ken got to pick Matt Jackson, despite Ken being the second-strongest of the captains. Colby, for instance, never got that chance. If they had allowed the weaker captains (by some reasonable measure) to pick first, it might have evened out.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I think they lightened up on the difficulty the last two days. There were not a before during and after or triple rhyme time category that usually have on the final day of a tournament. The FJs both days I thought were cupcakes. It seems it essentially came down to who hit the daily doubles first, and that they happened to be easy. I feel badly for the people that flew in multiple days (the draft and the taping days) just to play final jeopardy that sometimes didn't matter, and play a single J! round where it doesn't add up to many points. I guess they didn't want their All Stars to look bad by heavily challenging them compared to a tournament like the UTOC.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Congrats to all the players! I would've been happy with ANY of these teams winning, but my very slight disappointment at seeing the winningest player win again is mitigated by Dave and Larissa sharing that glory. I wish the tournament didn't end in a runaway, but hey, it was a decisive victory

Now everyone redirect your karmic energy into getting the rest of us our shot on this damn show
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

chmmr wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:55 pm I am so sick of this. Congrats to Larissa.
:)

I guess in all supertournaments Brad needs a game to shake off the rust. He was a real killer today.
If by "killer" you mean dead even with Ken, then yes. They both scored $11,600 in regular clues. By pure chance though, two of the clues that Brad uncovered were Daily Doubles. That gave him two major opportunities to add money to the pot without needing to beat Ken on the buzzer. Neither DD was particularly difficult so Brad cleaned up. Had the DDs been under clues that Ken picked, he's the one who'd have looked like a killer. Had both DDs been brutal resulting in two whiffs from Brad, people who don't pay attention might think Brad looked really weak today. That would have been just as false as the idea that Brad dominated today.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

boson wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:14 pm I agree the teams weren't equitable - mostly because the captains themselves weren't seeded. Ken got to pick Matt Jackson, despite Ken being the second-strongest of the captains. Colby, for instance, never got that chance. If they had allowed the weaker captains (by some reasonable measure) to pick first, it might have evened out.
This is only partly true. Other captains had shots at Larissa and Dave, who went 6th and 7th. Would Brad have still been able to win if Alex, Larissa, Matt, and Roger (and probably Ben) were all gone before he made his first draft pick?

And Ken had the 3rd pick but he also had the 10th pick.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm Congrats to all the players! I would've been happy with ANY of these teams winning, but my very slight disappointment at seeing the winningest player win again is mitigated by Dave and Larissa sharing that glory. I wish the tournament didn't end in a runaway, but hey, it was a decisive victory

Now everyone redirect your karmic energy into getting the rest of us our shot on this damn show
let's go to uk and be a team on the best game show in the world...pointless
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I love seeing Brad beat Ken again!!! And it’s great to see how awesome Larissa is again. Slightly tougher board today but simple FJ. At pub trivia tonight we had a question about the longevity of some tv shows & I mentioned J at 35. To be honest, I knew the answer from the numbered amendments.

Would indenture have sufficed for apprenticeship?
davey

Post by davey »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:23 pm I love seeing Brad beat Ken again!!! And it’s great to see how awesome Larissa is again. Slightly tougher board today but simple FJ. At pub trivia tonight we had a question about the longevity of some tv shows & I mentioned J at 35. To be honest, I knew the answer from the numbered amendments.

Would indenture have sufficed for apprenticeship?
Indentured servitude was my response, but I don't think so - an apprentice could be an indentured servant but they're not synonymous.

When I was a kid,in my town there was a 21st Amendment Lounge, which we used to pass on our way to more respectable establishments...and yet I still get a blank when this amendment comes up...Otherwise, I agree that the material wasn't tough in these last 2 games in particular...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missing Edwin Meese, Nancy Grace, LeVar Burton, and The Ramones.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Clue, Lightning Rod, Nova Scotia

Team Brad wins. SHOCKER!!! :o
Douglas Squasoni