Wednesday, March 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7943, 2019-03-06

CONTESTANTS
Tim Varecka, an engineer from Tucson, Arizona
Eric Eifrig, a lawyer from Cincinnati, Ohio
Dana Wayne, an educator from North Hollywood, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We start off today with a big congratulations to Brad Rutter and his team, winning the $1 million Jeopardy! All-Star Games. Interesting and worth mentioning again, but Brad Rutter, in his long career as a Jeopardy! contestant, has never lost a match to another human being. However, in this tournament, which ended yesterday, he was greatly helped by Larissa Kelly and Dave Madden, so good for them. Now we start building new champions for you to enjoy. Case in point, our returning champion, Dana, who two weeks ago won over $26,000. Tim and Eric, you're gonna have to be at your very best to defeat her today, but good luck to all of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORIC STRUCTURES (4/5)
ALPHANUMERIC ATHLETES (4/5)
IN THE "MI"DDLE (5/5) (Alex: Notice the quotation marks on "M-I". Those two letters are going to come up exactly in the middle of each correct response.)
COLD PLAY (5/5)
SPEED OF SOUND (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOLO (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 11 R, 2 W
Eric: 8 R, 2 W
Dana: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $3,200
Dana: $1,200
Eric: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tim Varecka is an engineer from Tucson, Arizona, who, I understand--whose health was improved by a Jeopardy! audition.

Tim: That's correct. I was interviewed by the local news after my audition, and they say the camera adds 20 pounds. I don't know if that's true or not, but I saw myself on TV and thought, "Oh my God, I gotta do something", so I started running and eating right, and, you know, this better physique, I owe it--better--all to Jeopardy! Maybe Jeopardy! saved my life, who knows?

Alex: Who knows, indeed. All right. You look good.

Tim: Thank you.

Alex: Eric Eifrig is from Cincinnati, Ohio. He's an attorney who once held a job that had him dressing up as an eagle?

Eric: That's correct, Alex. I was once employed by a radio station, and we did a promotional event at a local zoo. I had to dress as an eagle. Unfortunately, the talons didn't quite fit my feet, so I had to go out barefoot, so I spent the entire journey walking around, looking at my feet, making sure I didn't step on glass, or anything. And finally--it was very hot--we came back in. I took off the eagle head. There sitting across next to me is Rick Springfield of "Jessie's Girl" fame.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Eric: He's about to go out. The girls are screaming. I'm hot. He's hot. He looks at me. I look at him. We both kinda go...

[Eric shakes his head wearily.]

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Dana Wayne, educator from here in southern California. I've heard people refer to you as the "goat nanny". What's that all about?

Dana: I volunteer off and on with a farm rescue, a wonderful farm rescue. And they've had a booth at various farmer's markets where they often bring baby animals. So I'll show up and just hold an hours- or days-old baby goat so people can meet the animal and experience how sweet and wonderful these creatures are. But, you know, the mothers are nanny goats, so I must be the goat nanny.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Goats are wonderful. They help clean up weeds if you've got a lot of them on your property.

Dana: They do.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dana found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Dana had $1,800, Eric had $800, and Tim was at $5,000. Dana wagered $400.

SPEED OF SOUND $800: A tachometer measures RPM; this, named for scientist Ernst, measures speed in relation to the speed of sound
(Alex: Dana?)
(Dana: [No response])

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORIC STRUCTURES $800: "Scholars" know the Knights Hospitaller had a palace for the grand master on this large Greek island
(Dana: What is Crete?)
(Tim: What is Cyprus?)

ALPHANUMERIC ATHLETES $1000: Hall of Fame running back LT2
(Tim: Who is Lawrence Thomas?)
(Eric: Don't have it.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $4,000
Eric: $3,200
Dana: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HIGH-SCORING SCRABBLE WORDS (4/5)
EX-CREATURES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AROUND THE PACIFIC (3/5)
19th CENTURY PEOPLE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TALK LIKE AN OLD SAILOR (5/5)
THIS IS "MY" SONG (2/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Dana: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Eric: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Dana had $2,200, Eric had $3,200, and Tim was at $5,200. Tim wagered $2,000.

EX-CREATURES $1200: This type of feline named for its scary canines has turned up in the La Brea Tar Pits

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Eric who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Dana had $8,200, Eric had $7,200, and Tim was at $10,800. Eric wagered $3,000.

19th CENTURY PEOPLE $1600: This Maine senator who became Lincoln's veep was named for an uncle who was named for a Carthaginian general

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AROUND THE PACIFIC $800: The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration runs the PTWC--"Pacific" this "Warning Center"
(Dana: What is a tornado?)
(Eric: What is a typhoon?)

AROUND THE PACIFIC $2000: Chile's Juan Fernandez Islands include Alejandro Selkirk Island & 1 named for this literary character

THIS IS "MY" SONG $800: Toni Braxton topped the charts & won a Grammy for this song that pleads, "Say you'll love me again"

THIS IS "MY" SONG $1200: "And I know she'll be the death of me, at least we'll both be numb", says this song by The Weeknd

HIGH-SCORING SCRABBLE WORDS $2000: The "Z" gets you off to a good start in this 25-point study of the chemistry of fermentation

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tim: $14,400
Eric: $11,400
Dana: $10,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Tim: Wager $8,401 to cover Eric.
Eric: You ought to wager to cover Dana, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $11,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,800 (to shut out Dana) or less than $5,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Dana). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Tim.
Dana: Consider risking between $801 and $4,600. This will top a $0 wager by Eric while still beating Tim on the Triple Stumper (should Tim wager to cover Eric's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 8-letter word for a reaction against a trend comes from an engineering term for a jolt caused by a gap in machine parts

FINAL SCORES
Dana: $10,600 - $4,600 = $6,000 (What is a pullback?) (2-day champion: $32,401)
Eric: $11,400 - $9,801 = $1,599 (What is kneejerk) (3rd place: $1,000)
Tim: $14,400 - $8,401 = $5,999 (What sparkgap?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $13,600, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Dana: $11,000, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: $10,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $34,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Tim: 21/59 = .356
Dana: 14/59 = .237
Eric: 14/59 = .237
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORIC STRUCTURES $400: Before billeting the RAF in World War II, Blickling Estate was the birthplace of this second wife of Henry VIII

IN THE "MI"DDLE $200: He rids your house of vermin
(Eric: What is a fumigator?)
(Alex: That's the one with the "M-I" right in the middle.)

SPEED OF SOUND $1000: In 1947 this 24-year-old became the first human to go faster than sound

ALPHANUMERIC ATHLETES $400: Recently retired:
KB24
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

YOLO $600: Volunteer to help build homes with this charitable organization founded by Millard & Linda Fuller
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

EX-CREATURES $400: These creatures were big enough that huts in Ukraine were made from their bones & tusks during paleo times

AROUND THE PACIFIC $400: Also called the sea parrot, this diving bird lives in large colonies in the north Pacific

HIGH-SCORING SCRABBLE WORDS $400: For 23 points, it's the day on which the sun crosses the celestial equator
(Eric: What is solstice?)

THIS IS "MY" SONG $400: It's the 1978 anthem of independence by Billy Joel heard here

19th CENTURY PEOPLE $400: In 1899 this man for whom a military medical center is named finished his work on typhoid & turned to yellow fever
(Tim: Who is Johns Hopkins?)

19th CENTURY PEOPLE $2000: This novelist-turned-politician was a favorite of Queen Victoria's & twice served as her prime minister
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

THIS IS "MY" SONG $1600: The Pet Shop Boys covered this Willie Nelson hit that begins, "Maybe I didn't love you quite as often as I could have"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a machometer
Rhodes
LaDainian Tomlinson
a saber-toothed tiger
Hannibal Hamlin
tsunami
Robinson Crusoe
"Un-Break My Heart"
"Can't Feel My Face"
zymurgy
backlash
Anne Boleyn
an exterminator
Chuck Yeager
Kobe Bryant
Habitat for Humanity
woolly mammoths
a puffin
equinox
"My Life"
Walter Reed
Disraeli
"Always On My Mind"
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 8-letter word for a reaction against a trend comes from an engineering term for a jolt caused by a gap in machine parts

Dana Wayne: 10600-4600=6000 (2x = $32,401)
Eric Eifrig: 11400-9801=1599
Tim Varecka: 14400-8401=5999

Correct response:
Spoiler
backlash (Dana – pullback) (Eric – kneejerk) (Tim – sparkgap)

Daily Doubles
Dana: 1800-400
Tim: 5200+2000
Eric: 7200+3000

Coryats
Dana: 11000
Eric: 10000
Time: 13600

Combined: 34,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dana: 2200
Eric: 3200
Tim: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hope no one was behind on watching the All-Stars though thought this regular play game would be safe to watch, as Alex’s opening congratulated the winning team.

Eric gave me a remind-a-lot of Richard “Fred Rutherford” Deacon.

The writers messed me up on the ship’s eating place as I had the alternate correct response, but clammed when I could not make the hint work for the expected response. Doh!

The FJ! category had me ready to chalk up a miss as 45/57, 3/3 on DDs and 38,800 Coryat is quite good for me. WORD ORIGINS is one of my least favorite categories as I would even prefer Shakespeare or business instead. It would seem so typical to start the week with both All-Stars clues right and then immediately bomb the first regular play clue.

The clue had me looking for something to guess as I read, reread and reread the clue. I wrote “back” on my paper as I had a Spidey-sense that was part of it. In trying to think of four letters to precede “back” it was a miracle from above when somehow I switched gears to add four letters after “back” to complete a very lucky seat (comfort of home) solve.

I can only imagine how much harder this would be as a feet (on stage) solve for the contestants. 0/3 is disadvantage leader and Dana used the opening to get the repeat with the strategic wager.

Back to reality with 3 clues not played.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Props to Dana for the savvy wager!

(and sorry Tim came down on the wrong side of Stratton's choice...)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If any J! staffers are checking in on this board: Give a wake-up nudge to the webmaster to update the J! site for regular play contestants to conclude this week under the Contestant Zone tab.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I feel like I encounter the word 'backlash' 100 times a week nowadays. Instaget before Alex even got to that engineering stuff. An hey, good wagering! Maybe they're finally learning.

Thanks, J! writers, for reminding me that "Unbreak My Heart" exists. God I hate that song. At least it was good for some LT.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but "epidemiology" in "Mi"ddle, all but "zymurgy" in Scrabble.

NHO "lava cake" in the top box.

Surprisingly, "cave bear" at $800 was my only NHOI in Ex-Animals. I have heard of "roc" but didn't get the clue, so I went 3/5.

I also hit a mental dead-end after tornado and typhoon were negged.

Also NHO Walter Reed to my knowledge.

I thought the "My" songs were pretty tough. "My Life" doesn't seem to be one of Billy Joel's better-known songs relative to say, "Piano Man" or "Uptown Girl". I knew it only because my sister is a huge Billy Joel fan.

I got FJ! correct before Alex was done with the clue. Surprised that this was a TS.

Lach Trash: "Unbreak My Heart"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I only knew Final because I once wrote a patent involving a zero-backlash transmission.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I was bummed there wasn't a British player on the show to get negged for "What is Aluminium" as the "mi" is not in the exact middle.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I would have negged galley without a second thought, as it has nothing to do with cleanliness as mess does. :x
Near instaget FJ . Amused that all three came up with 8-letter wrong responses. :lol:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:45 pm All but "epidemiology" in "Mi"ddle, all but "zymurgy" in Scrabble.

NHO "lava cake" in the top box.

Surprisingly, "cave bear" at $800 was my only NHOI in Ex-Animals. I have heard of "roc" but didn't get the clue, so I went 3/5.

I also hit a mental dead-end after tornado and typhoon were negged.

Also NHO Walter Reed to my knowledge.

I thought the "My" songs were pretty tough. "My Life" doesn't seem to be one of Billy Joel's better-known songs relative to say, "Piano Man" or "Uptown Girl". I knew it only because my sister is a huge Billy Joel fan.

I got FJ! correct before Alex was done with the clue. Surprised that this was a TS.

Lach Trash: "Unbreak My Heart"
dont need to have heard of that cake...just read the clue...wtfewihb?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:20 pm dont need to have heard of that cake...just read the clue...wtfewihb?
I took a swing and a miss with "volcano cake".
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:39 pm I would have negged galley without a second thought, as it has nothing to do with cleanliness as mess does. :x
The clue wasn't pinned to mess hall, as you can eat in a galley and why can't you tidy up a galley? And tidying up, which wasn't in quotes, was just a TOM like "scholar" on the Rhodes clue, designed to get contestants to the intended (but not the only correct) response.

Perhaps the most surprising LT for me was tsunami.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

I would have thought just "reaction against a trend" was enough for anybody to get this FJ - forget about the origin or even the 8 letters, except to confirm...I stand corrected...
Last edited by davey on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Backlash was an instaget for me. And here I was thinking that this was going to be one of those games that illustrates that the contestants are chosen without knowledge of what the material will be and the material is written without knowledge of who the contestants are. I was thinking Tim being an engineer would have an edge in that, but it turned out to be not the case.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:39 pm I would have negged galley without a second thought, as it has nothing to do with cleanliness as mess does. :x
Near instaget FJ . Amused that all three came up with 8-letter wrong responses. :lol:
But there's nothing that makes galley technically wrong as a response for that clue, which is what matters.

I had blowback for FJ...fit the first half and couldn't come up with anything better to fit the second.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:05 pm I would have thought just "reaction against a trend" was enough for anybody to get this FJ - forget about the origin or even the 8 letters, except to confirm...I stand corrected...
IMHO, "blowback" is a better response to the "reaction against a trend" TOM. I think it has supplanted "backlash" for this purpose. I didn't like the fit to the other half of the TOM, and got the right response quickly enough, but I was sure there would be one miss. I didn't expect those crazy WAGs - pullback - I suppose; kneejerk - how cute, but just NO. Don't ; sparkgap - wtf , props for putting down something ;).

I think we are all grateful they didn't get the last clue on "My" songs. They didn't want any of them.
What was so hard about getting mess? Except I don't think of it as a nautical term so much.

Kind of a bummer ending, the guys were visibly disappointed and played a much better game. But, FJ happens.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Tease-out metric has historically not been considered sufficient to rule against an otherwise correct response.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Volante wrote: I had blowback for FJ...fit the first half and couldn't come up with anything better to fit the second.
For me, it was pushback.
RobW wrote:Props to Dana for the savvy wager!
But really, it was just common sense & logic.
If Eric had wagered 5398, now that would have been savvy.