Friday, March 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7945, 2019-03-08

CONTESTANTS
Conor Murphy, a graduate student from Thorofare, New Jersey
Josh Stephens, a journalist from Los Angeles, California
Dana Wayne, an educator from North Hollywood, California (whose 3-day cash winnings total $64,002)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. At the beginning of the week, first two days, very exciting for us. We gave away $1 million in the two-game finals of our All-Star Games, that tournament. How are we gonna end the week? Let's start finding out now with Conor, Josh and Dana. Categories for this first round of play, in which we'll find one Daily Double...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ARE YOU SHAKESPEARIENCED? (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
A MEASURED RESPONSE (5/5)
BILLBOARD'S GREATEST HOT 100 SINGLES (4/5) (Alex: Then, according to a list made last year...)
VERB "END"-INGS (3/5)
I YIELD TO... (5/5)
THE SENATOR FROM ILLINOIS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Conor: 11 R, 0 W
Dana: 6 R, 0 W
Josh: 7 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Josh found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Dana had no money, Josh had $200, and Conor had nothing in the bank. Josh wagered $1,000.

ARE YOU SHAKESPEARIENCED? $400: This man says, "I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him", but he's not being quite truthful
(Josh: Who is Brutus?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Conor: $2,800
Dana: $1,400
Josh: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Conor Murphy is a graduate student from New Jersey who did research for his undergraduate thesis at the Baseball Hall of Fame. What was your thesis about?

Conor: That's right. Well, I wrote about a baseball war that happened in the First World War. It was two rival leagues going at it. They went to the Supreme Court. A lot of bad blood on both sides, but it was really interesting. And I got funded to go to the--Cooperstown to read about it. It was awesome.

Alex: Gosh. Most people don't know about that.

Conor: No. It's really not, so go and read my thesis if you can. I can send it to you.

Alex: Or perhaps they can do what they did with A League of Their Own and make a move about it.

Conor: I concur.

Alex: All right. Good.

Alex: Josh Stephens, journalist from L.A. Traveled to Beijing how many times?

Josh: About 10 times.

Alex: And you have yet to visit the Great Wall?

Josh: That's true.

Alex: How does this happen?

Josh: First time was for tourism. End of a long week, I was exhausted. My friends went, and I didn't. And I've been back since, not had time. And my friend still heckle to this day about not going.

Alex: Are you not interested in going, or it just didn't work out?

Josh: No, I'm interested, but time is precious sometimes.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Dana Wayne is our champion, folks. She's an educator. And also you were a flower girl at your best friend's wedding. When did this take place?

Dana: About four months ago.

Alex: Wait a minute. Huh?

Dana: I was the oldest member of the wedding party, and I have friends with an excellent sense of humor. So instead of making me a bridesmaid, they made me the flower girl. And I would send them texts threatening things like temper tantrums and screaming out that "I'm a pretty princess" in the middle of the ceremony.

Alex: All right. All I wanna ask is this--did you walk down the aisle strewing flowers?

Dana: I leapt down the aisle strewing flowers.

Alex: Oh. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARE YOU SHAKESPEARIENCED? $600: Listing the plays in the order they were written, "The Riverside Shakespeare" follows "Henry VI, Part 2" with this

VERB "END"-INGS $400: To fuse or integrate

VERB "END"-INGS $800: To exceed or eclipse

THE SENATOR FROM ILLINOIS $1000: A Senate office building is named for him, Senate Republican leader from 1959 to 1969

BILLBOARD'S GREATEST HOT 100 SINGLES $400: She found a hit with Calvin Harris with "We Found Love"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Conor: $6,000
Josh: $4,000
Dana: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FBI AGENT NON-DISQUALIFIERS (5/5)
THE HUMANITIES (4/5)
GEOGRAPH"EE" (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLANT-ED EVIDENCE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SPANISH-LANGUAGE TV (4/5)
SWAP THE VOWELS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dana: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Josh: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Conor: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Josh snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Dana had $2,200, Josh had $6,000, and Conor was at $7,600. Josh wagered $1,600.

GEOGRAPH"EE" $800: It was the northernmost part of ancient Palestine

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dana who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Dana had $5,800, Josh had $9,200, and Conor was at $8,400. Dana wagered $1,800.

PLANT-ED EVIDENCE $2000: Ancient Egyptians got a lot of out of this water plant:
cloth, mats, sails & oh yeah, material on which to write

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE HUMANITIES $2000: Nijinsky tugged at the heartstrings as the tragic title puppet in this 1911 Stravinsky ballet
(Dana: What is Coppelia?)

GEOGRAPH"EE" $2000: They make up the northern part of the Lesser Antilles

PLANT-ED EVIDENCE $1200: Insects check in but they don't check out of this carnivorous plant of the Carolinas AKA Dionaea

SPANISH-LANGUAGE TV $2000: Don Francisco's "Show Dominical" moved up a day to become "Giant Saturday", AKA this show that ran more than 50 years

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dana: $17,600
Josh: $13,200
Conor: $9,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY NEWSMAKERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters (exactly) for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Dana: Wager $8,800. If Josh bets to tie your $0 bet with a wager of $4,400, Josh would fall to $8,800 on a miss, and would beat you out by a dollar if you were to bet to cover and were also stumped.
Josh: If Conor had less than two-thirds your score, your optimum wager would be $4,400, but you can't let Conor surpass you. Wager $5,201. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,200 (to shut out Conor) or less than $4,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Conor). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Dana.
Conor: You do have some slim hope of taking 1st place, and it's most likely to happen in the event that you're the only one to respond correctly to Final. Wager between $4,001 and $9,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1982 a probate judge in his home state of Michigan declared him legally dead

FINAL SCORES
Conor: $9,200 + $400 = $9,600 (Who is Jimmy Hoffa?) (New champion: $9,600)
Josh: $13,200 - $10,001 = $3,199 (Who is Jack Kevorkian?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Dana: $17,600 - $8,801 = $8,799 (Who is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: Man went missing seven years before.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dana: $17,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Josh: $13,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Conor: $9,200, 14 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Dana: 19/59 = .322
Josh: 17/60 = .283
Conor: 15/58 = .259
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE SENATOR FROM ILLINOIS $600: An Illinois senator from 1985 to 1997, he ran for president in 1988 but did not write "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

I YIELD TO... $1000: The elements, I yield to them--time to put on one of these waterproof garments named after a Scotsman

THE HUMANITIES $1600: This Spanish title of Goya's "The Snowstorm" is the name of a western U.S. state

PLANT-ED EVIDENCE $1600: A virus that causes mottled leaves is called this, like an artwork of closely-set tiles or stones

FBI AGENT NON-DISQUALIFIERS $800: Outstanding these; at the New York Public Library, they're 25 cents a day for a book, $3 for a DVD
(Conor: What are loans?)
(Dana: What are [*]? Late library--)
(Alex: [Overlapping] Yeah, we'll give you that.)
(Dana: [Overlapping] Book fees?)

SWAP THE VOWELS $800: A synonym for destiny switched vowels to become this crumbly Greek cheese
(Alex: Fate.)

SWAP THE VOWELS $1200: A south-of-the-border currency swaps vowels to become this FX show with transgender performers
(Alex: From peso.)

SWAP THE VOWELS $1600: An enclosed sports stadium swaps vowels & becomes this recording used to get gigs
(Alex: For dome.)

SWAP THE VOWELS $2000: A British lockup can swap its vowels to become this netted area
(Alex: From gaol, G-A-O-L.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Mark Antony
Henry VI, Part 3
to blend
to transcend
Everett Dirksen
Rihanna
Galilee
papyrus
Petrushka
the Leeward Islands
Venus flytrap
Sábado Gigante
Jimmy Hoffa
Paul Simon
a Mackintosh
Nevada
mosaic
late fees (or fines)
feta
Pose
a demo
goal
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY NEWSMAKERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1982 a probate judge in his home state of Michigan declared him legally dead

Dana Wayne: 17600-8801=8799
Josh Stephens: 13200-10001=3199
Conor Murphy: 9200+400=9600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jimmy Hoffa (Dana – Who is?) (Josh – Jack Kevorkian)

Daily Doubles
Josh: 200-1000
Josh: 6000+1600
Dana: 5800+1800

Coryats
Dana: 17800
Josh: 13400
Conor: 9200

Combined: 40,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dana: 3400
Josh: 4000
Conor: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex is wearing the same tie from his health video though a different shirt and jacket.

On DD3 Dana did 5800+1800 to get all the way up to…still third with 14 clues remaining. Dana then made +10000 in those remaining clues to easily have the lead for the FJ! round.

It did not matter what she bet on the DD as even the full +5800 would have had her lead at 21600 to 13200 with a drop-to point of 16799 to cover Josh’s potential 26400. Conor with the sole solve could still have won, although with more money.

The FJ! clue had me almost match Josh as I got as far as “Kevorki” reflexing off Michigan dead to do better in matching Conor. [Wipes brow]

To the first person that wants to dismiss Conor’s chance of repeating: See this game and how it worked out for the new champ: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6194
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Am I the only one who expected FJ to be a triple-getter? I had it solved before Alex finished reading the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought the "End"ings category was tough.

Ran the Billboard category. I thought "Eye of the Tiger" and "Uptown Funk" were far easier picks than "We Found Love".

Also ran the Yield and Spanish TV categories, and got all but "Olympiad" in Measured.

I focused on the wrong end of "snowstorm" and got stuck trying to turn "tormenta" into a Western state.

All but "mosaic" in Plants. I thank Undertale for keeping the word "papyrus" in my vocabulary.

Geograph"ee" was my only 0/5.

Got FJ! right before Alex was even done reading the clue. I think my own hometown of Oscoda was the target of one of the burial rumors.

Lach Trash: Rihanna, Venus flytrap, Sábado Gigante
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ, agreed that it was a surprising sole get.

Why on earth was papyrus a DD in the 2000 box!?!?

Also, that Spanish TV category was a surprisingly easy 5/5. Maybe the clues were easy, or maybe in addition to watching too much TV, I spent too much time looking at Telemundo/Univision listings as a kid.
goongas

Post by goongas »

For FJ, I said the doctor for half a second before looking at the date again and thinking of Hoffa. I thought it would be a triple get as well.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I was wondering if top of mind knowledge of Hoffa might be a generational and/or geographic thing. I noticed the 2 contestants who missed were from California. Conor, while young, is from NJ, where everyone knows Hoffa was buried in the end zone of Giants Stadium.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

figured that final jeopardy clue would have been a sheep...cant believe only 1 person got it right...pretty easy
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I normally don't pay attention to the contestant interviews, but Josh's last words are particularly haunting given recent events. :shock:
Instaget FJ. I guess it does help to be of a certain age. :geek:
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 pm figured that final jeopardy clue would have been a sheep...cant believe only 1 person got it right...pretty easy
I also had FJ! cold.

Also, had Conor been wrong, he would have given the champion a taste of her own "trap from last place" medicine.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

and what is the deal with trebek using a spanish accent for everything except for univision?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

weird...had never heard of don francisco before last night...came across him when i was doing research on jews in south america...odd he comes up tonight...instaget on that triple stumper because of that stumble upon last night
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:31 pm I normally don't pay attention to the contestant interviews, but Josh's last words are particularly haunting given recent events. :shock:
Instaget FJ. I guess it does help to be of a certain age. :geek:
what was said? i always ffwd through the interviews
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I'll leave the transcript to the professionals, but the interview can be seen on YouTube from around the 5:20-5:40 mark.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Somebody has to be the first to check the box of ignorance- I had no guess on FJ. Although I'm the first neg so far, I think it will poll below 85% and it was a tough clue.

I got distracted by Howard Hughes and couldn't think of any unaccounted for corpses or famous military MIA cases. When Alex said "missing eight years", I thought D B Cooper? but again, he's more of a sasquatch type creation.
I hadn't heard of thought about Hoffa for decades, and when it was a story, I treated it as a way over-hyped nothingburger. Too much speculation and conspiracy theories when a simple explanation was almost certain.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Portend, Dick Durbin, Hurts So Good, and High Times.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Marc Antony), Henry VI Part III, Blend, Transcend, Everett Dirksen, Rihanna, Petrushka, Leeward Islands, Venus Fly Trap, Sabado Gigante

Pre-called Sabado Gigante for Spanish Language TV.

NHO Pose, but I am an expert on Currencies.
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:03 pm Somebody has to be the first to check the box of ignorance- I had no guess on FJ. Although I'm the first neg so far, I think it will poll below 85% and it was a tough clue.
I grew up in Michigan but completely drew a blank. It was obvious in retrospect and, like others here, my wife had it before Alex was done reading the clue, but it never clicked for me.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:46 pm 56 R (Missed Portend, Dick Durbin, Hurts So Good, and High Times.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Marc Antony), Henry VI Part III, Blend, Transcend, Everett Dirksen, Rihanna, Petrushka, Leeward Islands, Venus Fly Trap, Sabado Gigante

Pre-called Sabado Gigante for Spanish Language TV.

NHO Pose, but I am an expert on Currencies.
i was hoping for some love for the great show of "dos mujeres, un camino"....eric estrada was outstanding in it