LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21 am The MD 10 head scratcher for me was that only 18% got Nellie Melba (which I thought was a trivia staple), but 56% came up with either nasty, brutish or short (which was a quote I was completely unfamiliar with). Luckily I was playing FrankJ and that was the single question we both missed. I'll take the tie!
I think the get rate on this is because it wasn’t too impossible to guess something correct... I guessed and got it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Apparently Joan Sutherland was much later. If only there was a toast TOM in there. Didn't matter; I got six-packed by a ^%#$@%! Boardie.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Yesterday was one of those days where my mind went from Starz to the Sci-Fi or History Channel and then landed on Starz. Those little mistakes add up! 7(4)-7(5) tie

I got Melba immediately, but couldn't figure out the name connection. Now I see she took her name from Melbourne
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am Yesterday was one of those days where my mind went from Starz to the Sci-Fi or History Channel and then landed on Starz. Those little mistakes add up! 7(4)-7(5) tie
might have helped if you thought about Starz being a pay-channel instead of regular cable. Also, from what little I know of what's on Starz, I would think most of those titles wouldn't fit with the demographic Starz goes after. I would expect them to have entertainment/celebrity based stuff or movie like drama shows.

ETA: also, Sci-Fi (which is now Syfy) isn't a good fit for Pawn Stars, even though Ancient Aliens is a good one for that channel.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 am Apparently Joan Sutherland was much later. If only there was a toast TOM in there.
Nellie liked her toast and she was a real peach!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:52 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am Yesterday was one of those days where my mind went from Starz to the Sci-Fi or History Channel and then landed on Starz. Those little mistakes add up! 7(4)-7(5) tie
might have helped if you thought about Starz being a pay-channel instead of regular cable. Also, from what little I know of what's on Starz, I would think most of those titles wouldn't fit with the demographic Starz goes after. I would expect them to have entertainment/celebrity based stuff or movie like drama shows.

ETA: also, Sci-Fi (which is now Syfy) isn't a good fit for Pawn Stars, even though Ancient Aliens is a good one for that channel.
Coming from a naive perspective, since I haven't had cable TV in about 20 years, it seems that cherry-picking specific shows from a network's lineup offers few clues regarding the network itself. Years ago there was a very definite pattern to the shows that a network had; doesn't seem to be that way anymore, unless you consider the entirety of a network's offerings.

I had no clue on this question, but figured it would pretty easy for your average (or more) television watcher, as you only needed to be sure of one show out of five. I at least recognized a few of the shows, which meant that they weren't totally obscure.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21 am The MD 10 head scratcher for me was that only 18% got Nellie Melba (which I thought was a trivia staple), but 56% came up with either nasty, brutish or short (which was a quote I was completely unfamiliar with). Luckily I was playing FrankJ and that was the single question we both missed. I'll take the tie!
Hmmm... I thought that "nasty, brutish and short" was a fairly well-known phrase, along the lines of "living lives of quiet desperation." The Nellie Melba chestnut is that Peach Melba was named for her; the association of Melba with Melbourne was, until yesterday, unknown to me, at least.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:16 pm
Hmmm... I thought that "nasty, brutish and short" was a fairly well-known phrase, along the lines of "living lives of quiet desperation." The Nellie Melba chestnut is that Peach Melba was named for her; the association of Melba with Melbourne was, until yesterday, unknown to me, at least.
Obviously it must be since over 50% knew it! Yeah, until yesterday I had no idea Melba wasn't her real name, but the Melba to Melbourne connection clicked fairly quickly.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21 am The MD 10 head scratcher for me was that only 18% got Nellie Melba (which I thought was a trivia staple)
Same, I thought this one was a classic. Would've expected the get-rate to at least be in the 30s.
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Both my opponent and I gave each other the 3-pointer in the wrong place, leading to an 8(5)-8(5) tie. That's two days straight I've tied at 5 correct answers. Still in promotion territory, though.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I thought the question lent itself to over-thinking the answer. My initial reaction was Nellie Melba, but I couldn't figure out her connection to Australia ("Melbourne" never occurred to me). What led me back to her was the references to the late Victorian era, her 1927 OBE honor, and--believe it or not, an episode of Downton Abbey in which Nellie Melba (played by Kiri Te Kanawa) performed for Lord Crawley and his household. Downton Abbey's timeline was 1912-25.

We read portions of Hobbes's Leviathan in law school. One of my friends described an unpleasant classmate as "nasty, brutish, and short"--a characterization I never forgot.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 am Apparently Joan Sutherland was much later. If only there was a toast TOM in there. Didn't matter; I got six-packed by a ^%#$@%! Boardie.
When I read the question about the Japanese/Boston conductor "Isawa" popped in my head (maybe close enough for Thorsten?). I didn't trust this answer, and went with the sure-to-be-wrong Suzuki. Oh well, I was pretty sure on the other 5, maybe it won't matter.

Mattered; I got six-packed by a ^%#$@%! Non-Boardie.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I made a costly error on MD11, putting Holy Roman Empire instead of just Roman Empire, and lost (2)2-4(4). Had I just put Roman Empire, it would have resulted in a tie. After winning 5 in a row, I have now lost three straight in Taiga D Division 1.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

I managed to pull a win twice while running a fever. Fingers crossed my luck holds on day 3...

I went with Mercator because, who else could it be? But then I started thinking about the fact that there are a ton of other map styles, but stuck with it anyway. XKCD has two great comics on the Mercator projection, the second of which got me wavering on Mercator. Here they are:
(https://xkcd.com/2082/)
and
(https://xkcd.com/977/)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:18 am
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 am Apparently Joan Sutherland was much later. If only there was a toast TOM in there. Didn't matter; I got six-packed by a ^%#$@%! Boardie.
When I read the question about the Japanese/Boston conductor "Isawa" popped in my head (maybe close enough for Thorsten?). I didn't trust this answer, and went with the sure-to-be-wrong Suzuki. Oh well, I was pretty sure on the other 5, maybe it won't matter.

That one cost me a tie against a six-pack, too. The name was back in the recesses of my memory, but I just couldn't pull it. Ended up putting Ozaki.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:18 am

Feh, me too.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I had too much time to think about Thursday's questions, as I'd had "Ozawa" mentally filled in all day long, but in the end, I decided I had him confused with first-season-Trebek-era two-day winner Ed Osawa and put down "Ozura" instead. I don't know where that name came from, but I sure hope it goes back and stays there. I still cherished some hope it would be judged close enough, as Z and R are almost S and W, but I guess U is not very close to A, and two matching letters out of five just isn't very impressive.
I'm smart and I want respect.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

cmp146 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:25 am I went with Mercator because, who else could it be? But then I started thinking about the fact that there are a ton of other map styles, but stuck with it anyway. XKCD has two great comics on the Mercator projection, the second of which got me wavering on Mercator. Here they are:
and
https://xkcd.com/977/)
Hey, what about the Flat Earth map?

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

RandyG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:09 pm
cmp146 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:25 am I went with Mercator because, who else could it be? But then I started thinking about the fact that there are a ton of other map styles, but stuck with it anyway. XKCD has two great comics on the Mercator projection, the second of which got me wavering on Mercator. Here they are:
and
https://xkcd.com/977/)
Hey, what about the Flat Earth map?

Someone told me that if the Earth were really flat, cats would have knocked everything off the edge by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm leading an A rundle halfway through the season. That's pretty wild. (Second place has the same record I do and 1 less in MPD.)