LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by RJRouge »

I took that Clapton negbait way too easily.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:57 am I took that Clapton negbait way too easily.
I said Cream because I just learned that from the All-Stars tournament ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tough day with 3 questions scoring under 20%
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Got a 0(0)-0(1) tie yesterday. The joys of being in E.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Two quiz bowl-centric literature questions (I know, one was classified as theater) on the same day? Every day should be like that!

I did kick myself for not remembering Edelman's name, but I still got the win over a player whose stats should be good enough to be in an A rundle instead of D.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:54 pm
RandyG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:09 pm
cmp146 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:25 am I went with Mercator because, who else could it be? But then I started thinking about the fact that there are a ton of other map styles, but stuck with it anyway. XKCD has two great comics on the Mercator projection, the second of which got me wavering on Mercator. Here they are:
(https://xkcd.com/2082/)
and
https://xkcd.com/977/)
Hey, what about the Flat Earth map?
Someone told me that if the Earth were really flat, cats would have knocked everything off the edge by now.
Yup, my kitty agrees with that. Earth must be spherical or everything would have been casually batted off the edge by now.

I managed a 2(2)-2(1) tie, thanks in part to some guy on the Patriots having the same name as my high school social studies teacher. Go (Ray) Edelman! Not my best work, but I will take it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:38 am Tough day with 3 questions scoring under 20%
And a weird day for me, getting four right including all three of those, and not getting Edelman. The other two questions each had a 43% get rate; I wish I could see more exact numbers on this so I'd know whether I can say I got the four hardest questions right. But I suspect Sonoma/Sonora, which I missed (Monterey/Monterrey was too attractive, and "same name except for one letter" is ambiguous as to whether the letter is added/subtracted or substituted between names), probably did slightly worse than Derek and the Dominos.

Basho: I literally named the only haiku poet I could.
Derek and the Dominos: I knew this cold.
Quisling: Saved by linguistic hunches. At first I looked at "Nasjonal" and thought Slavic, going for Tito. But that didn't quite sit right with me, as I felt a Slavic word for "national" would have an affricate "ts" sound before the j, rather than the straight fricative of "s"; so its word would look more like "Nacjonal." (Not to mention "Samling" didn't seem Slavic at all.) So a non-Slavic European language where the j is likewise a Y sound was probably going to be Germanic, and the country isn't going to be Germany or Austria. Probably Nordic; I've seen "sj" in Swedish and Norwegian words and names. (It ends up sounding like "sh" there.) The only leader I could name from there that wasn't royalty was Quisling. And hey, it ends with the same letters as "Samling."
A Moon for the Misbegotten: Just one of those titles I have floating around without much knowledge about it. I was sure I was correct, but I don't know that I would have gotten it without being spotted "Moon."

edit: I just glanced through a few Laguna rundles to see if anyone else had the same odd get pattern I had, and found one in a rookie rundle: JacksonM.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Took my first loss on the season after starting 6-0-5. Had no chance at the Moon Q, but I should have pulled Basho. Still would have lost, though, as my opponent got a 7(5) and he gave Moon a 3.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else get Basho solely based on his mention in Caddyshack? Hey, I'll take it. My opponent has a lifetime .968 pop music score and somehow missed the Layla question! I went down 7(4)-4(3).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Years ago I transferred whatever clues from Super Jeopardy I didn't know into a set of flashcards for my Palm Pilot. Needless to say I haven't reviewed them in years, and I missed Ozawa. I'll have to see if I can figure out where that file ended up.
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:58 am edit: I just glanced through a few Laguna rundles to see if anyone else had the same odd get pattern I had, and found one in a rookie rundle: JacksonM.
A JenningsK referral from Washington, DC? I bet that is indeed who we are all thinking it is. And I bet Ozawa was on at least one of his 364,878.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:23 pm Anyone else get Basho solely based on his mention in Caddyshack? Hey, I'll take it.
Nope. Simpsons. And having taked a Japanese poetry and calligraphy class in college, but mostly The Simpsons.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:29 am I'm leading an A rundle halfway through the season. That's pretty wild. (Second place has the same record I do and 1 less in MPD.)
I was too, for one glorious day.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:41 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:29 am I'm leading an A rundle halfway through the season. That's pretty wild. (Second place has the same record I do and 1 less in MPD.)
I was too, for one glorious day.
Heh. I was, too. Then I mentioned it to the Millionaire casting director. Karma came back and bit me and I think I went 0-8-1 in my next 9 matches.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

9(5)-9(5) tie for me: I figured my opponent with gaudy scores in food and drink would get Granny Smith, but he must have missed the puzzle.

I don't want to give too much away to future opponents, but never, ever, zero a bible/judaica question for me. I have now googled Purim and Esther - so one more neuron allocated.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 am 9(5)-9(5) tie for me: I figured my opponent with gaudy scores in food and drink would get Granny Smith, but he must have missed the puzzle.
I was about to bite on Vegemite (blecch!), but kept going back and reading about her husband and descendants. Thorsten doesn't put something in the clue unless it's important. Then the light bulb came on. Still lost to a six-pack. That's the way it goes this season.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am I was about to bite on Vegemite (blecch!), but kept going back and reading about her husband and descendants. Thorsten doesn't put something in the clue unless it's important. Then the light bulb came on.
Same here. Proud of my get on this one. My first thought was something with Mom and Mother in the name, and when I couldn't think of anything I thought about Grandma or Granny. I even knew that Granny Smith apples originated in Australia, so this one should have been easier, but it definitely took a while to come up with.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:11 am
alietr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am I was about to bite on Vegemite (blecch!), but kept going back and reading about her husband and descendants. Thorsten doesn't put something in the clue unless it's important. Then the light bulb came on.
Same here. Proud of my get on this one. My first thought was something with Mom and Mother in the name, and when I couldn't think of anything I thought about Grandma or Granny. I even knew that Granny Smith apples originated in Australia, so this one should have been easier, but it definitely took a while to come up with.
Bravo. I got the hint, but couldn't figure out what he was driving at, so I said peanut butter because why not? Vegemite was the word I wasn't going to recall in a million years

Got Esther but BOO HISS (Rattle) was lost on me

Assumed 5 right until I saw BRUEGHEL pop up. Didn't even hesitate for a second with Van Eyck!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am Got Esther but BOO HISS (Rattle) was lost on me
From Wikipedia: In Judaism, the gragger is used for the holiday of Purim. The gragger is used every time Haman's name is mentioned during the reading of the Megillah. Because Haman persecuted the Jews, the noise is supposed to symbolically drown out his name (although every word of the Megillah, including Haman's name, must be heard clearly; therefore, the words are often repeated after the sounding of the gragger). The gragger was developed to help make noise during the reading.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am Got Esther but BOO HISS (Rattle) was lost on me
From Wikipedia: In Judaism, the gragger is used for the holiday of Purim. The gragger is used every time Haman's name is mentioned during the reading of the Megillah. Because Haman persecuted the Jews, the noise is supposed to symbolically drown out his name (although every word of the Megillah, including Haman's name, must be heard clearly; therefore, the words are often repeated after the sounding of the gragger). The gragger was developed to help make noise during the reading.
Ahh, I love it! On any given day, there are too many facts for me to chase down on Wikipedia, but I try!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Grrr! Bruegel crosses my mind but I went with Van Eyck. I was so sure it was vegemite.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My frustration was knowing that that wording of the clue was important in the Granny Smith question, but even spotting me Australia, an extended family and her name, I couldn't connect the dots and ended up going with Vegemite. I knew it was too early for Pavlova and I figured that in 1830 food was a bit scarce down under. *sigh*