Wednesday, March 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7948, 2019-03-13

CONTESTANTS
Sam Corbett, an assistant office manager from New York, New York
Adrian Goldstein, a technical writer from Oakland, California
Barton Wong, a senior trading associate from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our show. A series of rather modest wins followed by a very substantial win for Barton on yesterday's program. Let's see if we can't keep that trend continuing. Adrian and Sam, welcome aboard.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE DRY TORTUGAS (3/4)
NOTABLE WOMEN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHILDREN'S LIT (4/5)
ARCHITECTURE TERMS (4/5)
"PH" ≠ F (3/4) (Alex: In each correct response, the letters "PH" will come up, but not with the "F" sound. All right?)
HOLLYWOOD MEMORABILIA (5/5) (Sarah: From the archives of auction house Profiles in History.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Adrian: 10 R, 1 W
Barton: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Barton was in the hole with -$600, Adrian had $2,800, and Sam was at $2,200. Sam wagered $1,200.

NOTABLE WOMEN $800: In 1952, this pioneering writer on the environment was the first woman to win a National Book Award for nonfiction.

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $3,400
Adrian: $1,800
Barton: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on the program today was Sam Corbett from New York. Sam, you'll recall recently on our "Jeopardy!" All-Star Games we had a fantasy league going for that event.

Sam: Absolutely.

Alex: Tell me about your movie fantasy league.

Sam: Well, some friends and I are not-so-big fans of the football, but we really care about the Oscars and movies, so we put together a league where we draft and through the regular season of the box office of the year, we go through all the Oscar-buzzy movies, and it's a tight competition to see who can make it to the Oscars.

Alex: And you do this every year.

Sam: Every year.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Adrian Goldstein from Oakland, California. Is it true your friends wrote some haikus to help prepare you or bring you luck on "Jeopardy!"?

Adrian: They did. So, my college graduating class has a closed Facebook group, and I didn't want to tell everybody I was going on "Jeopardy!"but I announced it there, because it was exciting, and I wanted to tell people. And so to support me, they started helping me train by writing haikus about common "Jeopardy!" categories.

Alex: Okay. All right, good.

Alex: Barton Wong is our champion. During the big blackout in 2003--this occurred in Toronto, right?

Barton: Yeah.

Alex: And you did some good work. You helped lead people to safety.

Barton: Well, it was basically at the bottom of my uncle's condo and the stairwell. There was no electricity. Stairwell was pitch black. I was the only one equipped with a flashlight. So I led up people up the stairwell like 30, 40 stories, to basically get them to their condos. It was probably the best thing I've ever done for a group of people.

Alex: See, uh, yeah, you're a better person than I am. I would have led them down 35 stories, but I ain't leading you up 35 stories. I ain't gonna make it.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHILDREN'S LIT $1000: According to the title of a book by Giles Andreae, these animals "can't dance"

ARCHITECTURE TERMS $1000: This textured plaster used in ancient Greece & Aztec Mexico may not provide much insulation but is a great fire resister
(Adrian: What is...asbestos?)

THE DRY TORTUGAS $600: This 5-letter type of submerged sandbar is plentiful & dangerous in the Tortugas

"PH" ≠ F $800: This type of restaurant has specialized cuts of meat
(Sam: What is a striphouse?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sam: $5,000
Adrian: $4,400
Barton: $1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE WET TORTUGAS (1/1) (Alex: We're not dealing with the dry tortugas but...)
THE PULITZER PRIZE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TRENDING AT MERRIAM-WEBSTER (5/5)
EXPENSIVE STUFF (5/5)
THE BEST "OF" TV (5/5)
WORLD LEADERS 1919 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Barton: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Adrian: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Barton snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Barton had $2,200, Adrian had $4,400, and Sam was at $5,000. Barton made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

WORLD LEADERS 1919 $1200: Billy Hughes spent WWI advocating this wartime practice, which split Australia as it later did the U.S. in the 1960s
(Alex: And now you and Adrian are tied.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Barton who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Barton had $10,000, Adrian had $4,000, and Sam was at $6,600. Barton wagered $4,000.

THE PULITZER PRIZE $1600: The Editorial Board of the New York Daily News was Prize-worthy for helping to save this theater in Harlem

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PULITZER PRIZE $2000: Chris Hamby won for showing how doctors & lawyers worked to deny benefits to miners with this disease gotten on the job

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sam: $17,400
Barton: $16,400
Adrian: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL QUOTES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Sam: Wager $15,401 to cover Barton. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $3,401.
Barton: Your score is within 4/5ths of Sam's, so wager between $2,001 (venusian) and $4,399 (martian), beating Sam's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Adrian's part.
Adrian: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Barton, but if Barton decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $4,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A boy at the end of this 1952 novel says to the main character, "Say it ain't true, Roy"

FINAL SCORES
Adrian: $6,000 + $4,000 = $10,000 (What is The Natural) (2nd place: $2,000)
Barton: $16,400 + $16,400 = $32,800 (What is The Natural?) (2-day champion: $56,000)
Sam: $17,400 - $15,401 = $1,999 (What is The gunslinger) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: The Roy, the main character, is Roy Hobbs.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sam: $17,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Barton: $13,000, 16 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Adrian: $6,000, 11 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Sam: 22/59 = .373
Barton: 17/60 = .283
Adrian: 12/58 = .207
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ARCHITECTURE TERMS $800: "Drop" everything & give us this name for the portion of a roof that extends out over a supporting wall
(Barton: What is eavestrough?)
(Alex: [*], yes, not an "eavesdrop.")

HOLLYWOOD MEMORABILIA $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Profiles in History in Calabasas, CA):

Unseen in "The Wizard of Oz,"an elastic chin strap kept the iconic hat on Margaret Hamilton's head during her flying sequences as this character

HOLLYWOOD MEMORABILIA $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Profiles in History in Calabasas, CA):

Seen in the training center and arena sequences in "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,"this silver combat bow was a signature weapon of this heroine
(Alex: You found your category, I think.)

HOLLYWOOD MEMORABILIA $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Profiles in History in Calabasas, CA):

Wolverine's claws were donated by this actor to help Australia's Fight Cancer Foundation

HOLLYWOOD MEMORABILIA $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Profiles in History in Calabasas, CA):

I've got a golden ticket. They were issued by Willy Wonka, played by this actor in the 1971 film

HOLLYWOOD MEMORABILIA $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Profiles in History in Calabasas, CA):

Theatrical blood remains on these leather boxing gloves worn by Robert DeNiro in his Oscar-winning performance in this film

"PH" ≠ F $200: This verb can mean to support the decision of a lower court in an appeal
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

"PH" ≠ F $400: Here is the view from this in a front door

WORLD LEADERS 1919 $2000: This dominating prime minister of Great Britain had a full name made up of three first names
(Alex: You ran the category. Well done. You're in the lead as a result.)

THE PULITZER PRIZE $400: The L.A. Times took a 2004 prize for an in-depth look at the methods used by this retailer to become the largest in the world
(Adrian: What is Amazon?)
(Barton: What is [*]?)
(Alex: [*], yes, 2004.)

EXPENSIVE STUFF $1200: The white "subway" dress worn by this actress in a 1955 film was not marked down when it went for $5.6 million
(Alex: Yes, "Seven Year Itch" is the movie.)

TRENDING AT MERRIAM-WEBSTER $2000: Every 'year on this date, the phrase "a date which will live in infamy"
(Barton: What's December 7, 1941?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

THE BEST "OF" TV $800: Drama about a motorcycle club that smuggles guns
(Alex: That's where the "of" comes in.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Rachel Carson
giraffes
stucco
a shoal
chophouse
the draft
The Apollo
black lung disease
The Natural
an eaves
Wicked Witch of the West
Katniss
Hugh Jackman
Gene Wilder
Raging Bull
uphold
peephole
David Lloyd George
Walmart
Marilyn Monroe
December 7th
Sons of Anarchy
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL QUOTES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A boy at the end of this 1952 novel says to the main character, “Say it ain’t true, Roy”

Barton Wong: 16400+16400=32800 (2x = $56,000)
Adrian Goldstein: 6000+4000=10000
Sam Corbett: 17400-15401=1999

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Natural (Sam – The Gunslinger)

Daily Doubles
Sam: 2200+1200
Barton: 2200+2200
Barton: 1000+4000

Coryats
Barton: 13000
Adrian: 6000
Sam: 17000

Combined: 36,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Barton: 1000
Adrian: 4400
Sam: 5000
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Comments coming later this morning.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Barton had a lot of ways where he left himself trailing for the FJ! round yet ended up with the big payday. One of the biggest was the swing on the "infamy" clue with the too specific.

Barton had first selection for the DJ! round and knew he where to go as he used WORLD LEADERS 1919 for a run worth +7000.

There was an obvious edit for Adrian's wine response being accepted.

The FJ! clue had me take a couple of whiffs as I had to swat away LotF and Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men before realizing I was working too hard. Roy is in the clue. Oh, duh!

Sam at chat time said he is not such a big fan of, "the football" so I had to laugh that he lost the game on a clue about, "the baseball."

Barton has pulled the tough two-peat of a win from 3rd and now from 2nd. The lead has been well within reach both games for the FJ! round. Third time's the charm?

Clue selection has bounced around a bit with times of slight hesitation although I did not think the players were so bad that there needed to be six clues not seen today.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Architecture, and only Anne Frank in Women.

No idea how I went 4/5 in the Children's books category. Giraffe was my only miss.

World Leaders was miles over my head. There was a League of Nations?

All but the DD in Pulitzer.

Why was "December 7, 1941" ruled wrong?

Can't say I've heard of "Real Housewives of Orange County".

Let's see. Sounds like "Say it ain't so, Joe" which reminds me of the name Roy Hobbs, which I know from Peanuts, which is from... uh... uh... Crap, I have no freaking clue. Somehow despite knowing "Roy Hobbs" cold, I was never able to match it to anything. Another frustrating "can't connect the last dot" miss for me.

Lach Trash: shoal, chophouse, black lung
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm Why was "December 7, 1941" ruled wrong?
The clue said "every year on this date", so adding a specific year made it wrong.

Instaget FJ. "Say it ain't true, Roy" -> Hobbs -> The Natural, done. Another film I need to watch someday, but haven't gotten around to yet.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm Instaget FJ. "Say it ain't true, Roy" -> Hobbs -> The Natural, done. Another film I need to watch someday, but haven't gotten around to yet.
How the hell did I know "Roy Hobbs" so clearly, yet never match him to a novel? I knew he was from... something, but not what.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

At least I had a baseball novel for FJ, but my guess was Eight Men Out.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 pm At least I had a baseball novel for FJ, but my guess was Eight Men Out.
Close. That's "Say it Ain't so, Joe."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm The FJ! clue had me take a couple of whiffs as I had to swat away LotF and Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men before realizing I was working too hard. Roy is in the clue. Oh, duh!
And if you keep overthinking it, you might talk yourself out of it if you're only familiar with the movie.
Spoiler
The movie has him hit a home run. He strikes out in the book.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I would have thought the cinephile Sam would get this one, even though it's a sports movie about the baseball. But maybe he was thinking only about books. I had no idea that The Natural was a book, and especially not from 1952. I've never seen the movie either, to be familiar with the line. I just took a stab with Old Yeller, but zero confidence due to the main character was either the boy or the dog.

Well done, Barton. I don't want to be insulting, but who does his voice and mannerism resemble? I first thought Gilbert Gotfried, but it is also somewhat Jerry Lewis, toned down of course. He is representing well despite the Canadian handicap which shuts him out of some shared cultural and educational experiences.

BTW, Alex mentioned the US dollars not loonies (? - didn't make it out what he said at the closing), just as Mark called it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:59 pm I would have thought the cinephile Sam would get this one, even though it's a sports movie about the baseball.
Except knowing only the movie could backfire.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I said striphouse too. What was the clue asking again?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,600
44 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: stucco, black lung

Welp. Sometimes making a bad wager in FJ! nets you $12,000 more than a good wager would have.

I can only think of one literary/movie character named Roy, so The Natural it is.

I'm surprised they accepted just "quad" rather than quadrangle, given that the clue said the term came from "four corners."

I talked myself out of the Rachel Carson DD because I was under the impression she was younger. I also can never keep the Treaties of Paris and Versailles straight.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm 0/5 in Architecture, and only Anne Frank in Women.

No idea how I went 4/5 in the Children's books category. Giraffe was my only miss.

Let's see. Sounds like "Say it ain't so, Joe" which reminds me of the name Roy Hobbs, which I know from Peanuts, which is from... uh... uh... Crap, I have no freaking clue. Somehow despite knowing "Roy Hobbs" cold, I was never able to match it to anything. Another frustrating "can't connect the last dot" miss for me.

and technically she shouldn't have been part of that category...she was a girl when she wrote that diary
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm 0/5 in Architecture, and only Anne Frank in Women.

that was my only miss in that category and that piece of trash show was a clue in the first box?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm Why was "December 7, 1941" ruled wrong?
The clue said "every year on this date", so adding a specific year made it wrong.

Instaget FJ. "Say it ain't true, Roy" -> Hobbs -> The Natural, done. Another film I need to watch someday, but haven't gotten around to yet.
instaget final for me as well...have never seen the film or read the book
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm Instaget FJ. "Say it ain't true, Roy" -> Hobbs -> The Natural, done. Another film I need to watch someday, but haven't gotten around to yet.
How the hell did I know "Roy Hobbs" so clearly, yet never match him to a novel? I knew he was from... something, but not what.
just something you learn...especially when you are into sports...it was learned and retained