Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

What was the $50,000 question today? I missed the episode and I don't trust the Game Show Kingdom rendering of it.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:24 pm What was the $50,000 question today? I missed the episode and I don't trust the Game Show Kingdom rendering of it.
He had the numbers right. :lol:

In degrees Fahrenheit, what is the highest temperature ever recorded on the continent of Antarctica?
A: 19.3
B: 33.4
C: 48.9
D: 63.5
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:24 pm What was the $50,000 question today? I missed the episode and I don't trust the Game Show Kingdom rendering of it.
For "Africa" read "Antarctica".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I would have botched the 50, but also knew the 100 before the answers came up. I could have been of help to Jeremy (if he still had the +1).

Just goes to show, even if you're a trivia expert, it doesn't mean you'll succeed on the show (not that I'm implying $50k isn't succeeding mind you; just that it doesn't mean you'll get to the million).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

J! Alum Liz Quesnelle was on Millionaire today.

I was shocked to see only 37% of the Audience knew what a Halcyon was.

The $50,000 question dealt with Old British Currency. Lately, I have been binge watching the UK Quiz Series "Fifteen to One" and just THIS MORNING, I learned that there were 252 pennies in a Guinea, so I knew for a fact that it wasn't that. I also knew that there were two Farthings in a Halfpenny. I was pretty certain that a Florin was worth more than a penny.

Next week is "Famous Judges Week", something completely new.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 am J! Alum Liz Quesnelle was on Millionaire today.

I was shocked to see only 37% of the Audience knew what a Halcyon was.

The $50,000 question dealt with Old British Currency. Lately, I have been binge watching the UK Quiz Series "Fifteen to One" and just THIS MORNING, I learned that there were 252 pennies in a Guinea, so I knew for a fact that it wasn't that. I also knew that there were two Farthings in a Halfpenny. I was pretty certain that a Florin was worth more than a penny.

Next week is "Famous Judges Week", something completely new.
I remembered the phrase "not worth a farthing", so I was pretty sure it was less than a halfpenny. Wasn't familiar with a florin (except for Princess Bride), but was pretty sure it was worth a reasonable amount. I knew a guinea was worth more, and thought it was close to a pound (it was).

Wasn't totally sure on halcyon, but was heavily leaning to bird (don't save the audience for the big dollars).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I loved the way Judge Mablean Ephriam was playing the game. Then on the $7,000 question she did an ATA that got her 43%, 41%, 15%, and 1%, used the 50:50 and was left with the 43% and 1%, and went with the 1% and lost.

The Cutlers haven't disappointed me yet!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

On my first tape day, Paul Shaffer showed up late and then took so long to tape that my whole group got bumped. On day 2, the judges took so long to tape that my sister in the audience almost hanged herself like the seatmate in Airplane. I almost got bumped again, but rock-paper-scissors failed, so they hurried me onstage. Would have preferred an early morning start - oh well
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Comments about the 3/11 episode:
Spoiler
What a dream for the transcriber with only 5 questions (3 regular, clue of the day, thousandaire) in total to do. John Bakarich seemed like he was determined to give money back to the show and I was happy to be wrong. It's always nice to see Qs for the big bucks even when I have no idea for the correct answer.
The weeks of 3/18, 3/25 & 4/1 should be reruns following the pattern of last year.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Winner of Academic Competitions doesn't know where The Hermitage is. :shock:

For the $30,000 question, I knew for a fact that Pizza Hut was founded in 1958, so I immediately eliminated that. Had no idea when the others were founded though. However, White Castle == Wichita sounded familiar to me.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two board members on the 3/13 show. What a dream $30K Q for any J! person.
LucarioSnooperVixey

The first $50k:
Spoiler
Never heard of Spy Wednesday but I knew that it was definitely Shrove Tuesday, which is also known as Pancake Day in the UK.(If my memory serves me correctly. Get it, serves? :lol: )
Spoiler
Louis Virtel! :mrgreen:
Spoiler
More Pomeranians!!! :D :D :D
Instagets on Louis's $30k and $50k.
Douglas Squasoni
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:03 pm Two board members on the 3/13 show. What a dream $30K Q for any J! person.
Sheesh, you got that right!
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:25 am
For the $30,000 question, I knew for a fact that Pizza Hut was founded in 1958, so I immediately eliminated that. Had no idea when the others were founded though. However, White Castle == Wichita sounded familiar to me.
I didn't know that fact for certain either,
Spoiler
but a YouTuber I used to watch did a vlog awhile back where he picked up a new video game at its midnight release and stopped at White Castle afterward. He lived in the Midwest, so by mentioning Kansas in the question here, I figured that was probably going to be the answer.

Not too familiar with Spy Wednesday, but was confident that Ash Wednesday was earlier in the season, thereby leading me to Tuesday.

I had no idea on Louis' $50k either - if he happens to see this, congrats on an entertaining and successful game!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:03 pm Two board members on the 3/13 show. What a dream $30K Q for any J! person.
Do you know if there's video anywhere? I attempted to program my ($30, made in China) over-the-air DVR to record it, but a perfect storm of its shortcomings* (with a bit of mine mixed in) caused me to accidentally only record 20 seconds of the episode.

*1. Its clock is 20 seconds behind when ABC's broadcasts begin, so I have to program recordings to start a minute early.
2. Though it displays times in 12-hour format, one must input recording times in 24-hour format.
So I was trying to punch in the ending time and I accidentally put 1300 instead of 1330 (it was an amount of ones, threes, and zeroes in the right order!), and because the starting time was 1259 I didn't notice I was doing anything wrong. (I imagine putting 1300 as the start time would have prompted me to do differently for the end time, and even if that weren't the case, the device itself would have told me it was a no-go because the start and end times would have been the same.)
LucarioSnooperVixey

threearruda wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:31 pm Not too familiar with Spy Wednesday, but was confident that Ash Wednesday was earlier in the season, thereby leading me to Tuesday.
Not only earlier, but the FIRST DAY of Lent.
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm The first $50k:
Spoiler
Never heard of Spy Wednesday but I knew that it was definitely Shrove Tuesday, which is also known as Pancake Day in the UK.(If my memory serves me correctly. Get it, serves? :lol: )

Well, actually...
Spoiler
Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday, same day as Mardi Gras, so you got the right answer with some faulty reasoning, dodged a bullet!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Do you know if there's video anywhere? I attempted to program my ($30, made in China) over-the-air DVR to record it, but a perfect storm of its shortcomings* (with a bit of mine mixed in) caused me to accidentally only record 20 seconds of the episode.

*1. Its clock is 20 seconds behind when ABC's broadcasts begin, so I have to program recordings to start a minute early.
2. Though it displays times in 12-hour format, one must input recording times in 24-hour format.
So I was trying to punch in the ending time and I accidentally put 1300 instead of 1330 (it was an amount of ones, threes, and zeroes in the right order!), and because the starting time was 1259 I didn't notice I was doing anything wrong. (I imagine putting 1300 as the start time would have prompted me to do differently for the end time, and even if that weren't the case, the device itself would have told me it was a no-go because the start and end times would have been the same.)
I took a quick spin on YT and did not find it although it could show up later. My recording is messed up because of weather problems in Colorado that had road/school closing bulletins covering up some of the choices.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I can post a screenshot of the +1 lifeline usage, Louis Virtel featuring Brian Fodera.
Spoiler
Going for $50k

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D0432D8
Spoiler
Brian didn't know either, so they used the 50/50, which left Yawning or Salivating
Spoiler
Brian was leaning toward Yawning, Louis liked Salivating, but he chose to walk away with $30k rather than risk dropping to $5k.

The correct answer was Yawning
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I found seven minutes of the 3/13 ep.:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Thanks, guys.