Wednesday, March 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:59 pm I would have thought the cinephile Sam would get this one, even though it's a sports movie about the baseball. But maybe he was thinking only about books. I had no idea that The Natural was a book, and especially not from 1952. I've never seen the movie either, to be familiar with the line. I just took a stab with Old Yeller, but zero confidence due to the main character was either the boy or the dog.

Well done, Barton. I don't want to be insulting, but who does his voice and mannerism resemble? I first thought Gilbert Gotfried, but it is also somewhat Jerry Lewis, toned down of course. He is representing well despite the Canadian handicap which shuts him out of some shared cultural and educational experiences.

BTW, Alex mentioned the US dollars not loonies (? - didn't make it out what he said at the closing), just as Mark called it.
knew it was a book, but didn't realise it was written in the 1950s...thought it was 1970s
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This was a good FJ clue but I wonder how few contestants would have known about the novel if the movie had never been made. It was certainly the only way I would have solved it (via seeing the movie).
MarkBarrett" wrote: Barton has pulled the tough two-peat of a win from 3rd and now from 2nd. The lead has been well within reach both games for the FJ! round. Third time's the charm?
For us to see if Barton knows how to wager from the lead? His predecessor didn't.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 am This was a good FJ clue but I wonder how few contestants would have known about the novel if the movie had never been made. It was certainly the only way I would have solved it (via seeing the movie).
MarkBarrett" wrote: Barton has pulled the tough two-peat of a win from 3rd and now from 2nd. The lead has been well within reach both games for the FJ! round. Third time's the charm?
For us to see if Barton knows how to wager from the lead? His predecessor didn't.
going to say he doesn't since he didn't know how to wager being in 2nd close to 1st and above the 3rd place contestant's potential double
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Somehow my brain knew it was baseball but it kept jumping to Field of Dreams. It finally clicked in the waning seconds and I got the correct response, even though I did not know it was a book.

Judging from prior posts, I think there may be an illuminating "book vs. movie" poll question in there.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 pm At least I had a baseball novel for FJ, but my guess was Eight Men Out.
Now THAT is not a bad miss. If I had thought of EMO I might have gone that way as well.

But "say it ain't so" leads to baseball/black sox, and Roy (not Joe) leads to Hobbs, leads to The Natural.

Yeah, too bad for Sam, not knowing much about the baseball or the football. Time to develop some other interests, I suppose.

Nice second win for Barton, even if a lot of people in Sam's position would have won that game. $56K for two outings is a mighty fine appearance on this show.

LT on chop house and black lung

Instaget FJ gives me 8 in a row, a better-than-average streak for me.

And today, let's not forget Rachel Carson. We need more like her now.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48 R (Missed Giraffes, Chophouse, Charlottesville, and a bunch of the Trendings causing my first below 50 in a very long time.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Stucco, Shoal, Black Lung Disease
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yeah, Sam's quip during his interview regarding "the football" was a pretty good indication he might not get this FJ. :D
clprez

Post by clprez »

Although I was on track with novels made into movies, I thought that the quote could have come from Ricky Schroeder's character in "The Champ,' so that's what I went with.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:10 pm Yeah, Sam's quip during his interview regarding "the football" was a pretty good indication he might not get this FJ. :D
He also talked about being a big movie fan, so I think his age was at least as responsible for his missing this...It got 4 Oscar nominations, but yes, he's too young to remember it... :roll:
But here's the thing: Since, as has been pointed out here, the movie ends in triumph while the book does not (Bernard Malamud was not a feel-good kind of writer), does that line appear in the movie? It's being shown this weekend on IFC, so I guess I could check myself...
The line is surely in the book to evoke the Black Sox scandal, so I'm not surprised some went there, but Eight Men Out the book is a work of history - it's not a novel.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:10 pm Yeah, Sam's quip during his interview regarding "the football" was a pretty good indication he might not get this FJ. :D
He also talked about being a big movie fan, so I think his age was at least as responsible for his missing this...It got 4 Oscar nominations, but yes, he's too young to remember it... :roll:
But here's the thing: Since, as has been pointed out here, the movie ends in triumph while the book does not (Bernard Malamud was not a feel-good kind of writer), does that line appear in the movie? It's being shown this weekend on IFC, so I guess I could check myself...
The line is surely in the book to evoke the Black Sox scandal, so I'm not surprised some went there, but Eight Men Out the book is a work of history - it's not a novel.
According to this, not anywhere: http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scri ... dford.html
There's no dialogue after the movie's climax either, the last line coming from an announcer
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Aw, I really wanted Sam to win! I was also clueless on that final

But why the timid wager on the first round DD??

I did surprisingly bad in WORLD LEADERS

Stucco! Is that a 70s thing? LOLd with Alex on that one.

Pearl Harbor is a date I finally memorized, so I made the same mistake as Barton

I wish Jeopardy! would stop asking about the Real Housewives franchise!

So fun to have Louis Virtel on Millionaire and Sam on Jeopardy! in the same week. It’s like gay Christmas!