Monday, March 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

instaget final jeopardy for me...one of the few playwrights i can name and knew dude died last year
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:57 pm Give me a break. Playwright died in 2018 at age 91? All those awards?

Eugene O'Neill WTF??? He died in 1953.

Arthur Miller HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD???

It pays to read the obituaries.

I had a feeling they would make sure Norman Lear got all his screen time in.
miller did only die in 2005...thought he had died a long while before that
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am
floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:57 pm Give me a break. Playwright died in 2018 at age 91? All those awards?

Eugene O'Neill WTF??? He died in 1953.

Arthur Miller HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD???

It pays to read the obituaries.

I had a feeling they would make sure Norman Lear got all his screen time in.
HAHA I shook my head as well, but karma'll bite back if I ever get The Call again. Just watch - they'll throw me a SPORTS FJ and you will mock me

Moulin Rouge (x2) was more of a head scratcher, though Conor had the right pronunciation

would love for that to happen...then i can say instaget final on this board
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

My then-six-year-old sister once insisted upon getting a VHS copy of Midnight Cowboy for our father for his birthday because he "likes cowboys."

He doesn't, and it was a pretty awkward scene when he explained that no, she couldn't watch it with him.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:33 pm My then-six-year-old sister once insisted upon getting a VHS copy of Midnight Cowboy for our father for his birthday because he "likes cowboys."

He doesn't, and it was a pretty awkward scene when he explained that no, she couldn't watch it with him.
Reminds me of the time a friend of mine got a DVD of Robin Williams stand-up. I urged them not to let the younguns watch.
(They were only familiar with Aladdin / Mrs Doubtfire / Jumanji Williams)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"I thought Blue Velvet was the sequel to National Velvet."
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:23 pm
Euphonium wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:33 pm My then-six-year-old sister once insisted upon getting a VHS copy of Midnight Cowboy for our father for his birthday because he "likes cowboys."

Reminds me of the time a friend of mine got a DVD of Robin Williams stand-up. I urged them not to let the younguns watch.
(They were only familiar with Aladdin / Mrs Doubtfire / Jumanji Williams)
I remember the first time I saw Bob Saget's stand-up act after only knowing him via his bland-dad Full House character.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,600
49 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Book Club, Underwood, Pluto (DD), Luther Burbank, lymph, The Count of Monte Cristo, El Greco (DD), Maude

I'm not sure I knew he died recently, but Simon came to me immediately and I never looked back. He matched up especially well with the four Oscar nominations, as I can't think of another contemporary playwright who is as connected to film.

I was disappointed by no words with multiple Y's in Y Is The Only Vowel. No pygmy? No syzygy? Boo hiss.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 am Alex pretty much suckered Conor into the rebound with his hesitancy at the neg. But the exact same answer in an redneck accent doesn't work either ;).
I hate it when Alex does this. It's one thing when he seems to be listening to his earpiece in case he is told to accept an answer, but there was no chance of that here. It's either the place mentioned in the title of the painting or it isn't.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:37 pm Coryat: 38,600
49 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Book Club, Underwood, Pluto (DD), Luther Burbank, lymph, The Count of Monte Cristo, El Greco (DD), Maude

I'm not sure I knew he died recently, but Simon came to me immediately and I never looked back. He matched up especially well with the four Oscar nominations, as I can't think of another contemporary playwright who is as connected to film....
I imagine film is the reason people thought of Sam Shepard...though he didn't write any that were nominated for Oscars...
Also, he was only 73 when he died...and though he got 2 Tony nominations he was not really a Broadway playwright - his hits there were for revivals of plays many years after their first success off-Broadway.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I had just typed up this post graciously, I felt, conceding what a very good guess Neil Simon was before discovering at the last minute that he was in fact the right answer. I was so sure about Albee I hadn't bothered to click the spoiler box, and have carried myself with a false smugness for two entire days.

Colonel Sanders wasn't top-row material in these days.

I just visited a place called Uncommon Grounds last Friday, in Saratoga. Have not read the book but I was pretty confident with coffee.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:02 am I had just typed up this post graciously, I felt, conceding what a very good guess Neil Simon was before discovering at the last minute that he was in fact the right answer. I was so sure about Albee I hadn't bothered to click the spoiler box, and have carried myself with a false smugness for two entire days...
Albee is a better guess than Shepard. The problem is he didn't write for movies. He doesn't even get a screenplay credit on Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?! Ernest Lehman won that Oscar for rearranging Albee's words...I believe only one other of his plays was made into a movie - A Delicate Balance.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

"Underwood" brings back memories - it was the FJ on my first game ever in 1991, though it didn't include "ham" in the clue, just a reference to a picture of a devil. I got it right, others guessed "Hormel" and "Armour" (with Alex saying "close, but no cigar" to both responses).