Thursday, March 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7949, 2019-03-14

CONTESTANTS
Kevin Salat, a product marketing manager from Seattle, Washington
Lindsey Shultz, a physician and health care analyst from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Barton Wong, a senior trading associate from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (whose 2-day cash winnings total $56,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Just before I go out to start the show, I wanted to say a quick thank you to the hundreds of thousands of people who have sent in tweets, texts, emails, cards, and letters, wishing me well regarding my health. I even heard from Watson, the IBM computer. There are so many. I can't respond individually, but I wanted you to know that I read them all and I thank you for your good wishes, your advice, and your prayers, and I was really touched by the warmth of your words. I'm a lucky guy. Now let's do the show.

--

Alex: Barton, has been doing quite nicely south of the border. $56,000 in just two appearances. Lindsey, Kevin, welcome. Good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WINTER FELL (4/4)
HIGH GARDEN (4/4)
THE WALL (5/5)
RIVER, RUN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: There's a theme here.)
KINGS LANDING (5/5)
G.O.T. (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lindsey: 14 R, 1 W
Barton: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Kevin: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kevin found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Barton had no money, Lindsey had $1,200, and Kevin was at $200. Kevin wagered $1,000.

RIVER, RUN $400: In New York Times crossword puzzles, the clue for it has been "Bard's river"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lindsey: $3,600
Barton: $2,200
Kevin: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kevin Salat is from Seattle, Washington, and Kevin, you and I have something in common. You collect vinyl records. I don't collect them anymore, but I have a large collection of them from the past. Where do you find these records now?

Kevin: That's right, I actually started with my mom, Diane--she's in the audience today--with her collection, and then just started finding them from record stores every now and then. It's where most of my income went to, actually...

Alex: Really?

Kevin: ...from high school and college. And actually now, my girlfriend Celia and I are planning on moving in together soon. She has a record collection of her own. We might--we're excited to share things, but we might need to keep those two things separate.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Lindsey Shultz is a physician and health care analyst from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. And you pride yourself for being famous for not recognizing celebrities? You're not good at it at all?

Lindsey: This is correct. I am notorious for not being able to recognize faces, and when I was in one of my grad classes at Colombia, I was sitting next to this girl in class. I said, "She sort of looks familiar. Maybe we went to undergrad
together, I'm not sure." And I noticed she was wearing these amazing purple shoes. So I proceed to talk to her about shoes for 10 minutes. And then as we're going around the room to slowly introduce ourselves, we get to her and she says, "My name is Chelsea... Clinton."

Alex: All right, let me help you out. Take a close look at my face. Pat. Pat Sajak.

Alex: Barton Wong. As popular as "Game of Thrones" is in the United States, there's another series that has appeared on television by a famous Canadian author that you have met.

Barton: Yeah, Margaret Atwood actually went to my high school, Leaside High School in Toronto, and I actually had a chance to meet with her. The English department had this writing contest and invited all the winners to meet with her at the Royal York Hotel, and we got to shake hands with her. The one thing I do remember is that when I actually went up to her, her eyes kind of popped out in amazement because I was only 18, 19 at the time. I didn't know how to dress, so I was wearing this white suit in the middle of, like, March in Toronto. And, um, I--that's everything I can remember from the encounter.

Alex: Okay.

Barton: Embarrassing myself in front of Margaret Atwood.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
G.O.T. $800: Pub memorabilia websites sell signs advertising this "G.O.T.". the sign of a fine Irish bar

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lindsey: $7,000
Barton: $5,000
Kevin: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CINEMATIC OAKLAND (4/5)
THAT'S MY MATH OR SCIENCE THING! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES (5/5)
THE PLAY'S LAST LINES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You identify the play.)
ON THE MOVE (2/4)
ALL BETS ARE OFF (4/4) (Alex: Each correct response will not contain the letters B-E-T.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lindsey: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Barton: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Kevin: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Barton snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Barton had $7,000, Lindsey had $7,800, and Kevin was at $3,200. Barton wagered $5,000.

THE PLAY'S LAST LINES $1200: A musical: "How many can I kill...& still have one bullet left for me? Don't you touch him! Te adoro, Anton"
(Alex reads the clue in a Puerto Rican accent.)
(Barton: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Correct! Must've been the way I read the clue. Go again.)
(Barton: Certainly was.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lindsey who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Barton had $16,800, Lindsey had $11,400, and Kevin was at $3,600. Lindsey wagered $5,500.

THAT'S MY MATH OR SCIENCE THING! $1200: This Heisenberg principle says some things, like energy & time, can't be accurately measured simultaneously
(Lindsey: What is the Theory of [*]?)
(Alex: Yes! [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CINEMATIC OAKLAND $1600: Before "Silver Streak" & "Stir Crazy", this comic went to Oakland for "The Mack"

ON THE MOVE $800: Manhattan subway lines the 7, the L & the S travel east-west, also called this direction
(Alex: Called [*], east-west.)

ON THE MOVE $400: In the 1930s, maps and little weights called shrimp boats were used by the first en-route centers for ATC, short for this.

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lindsey: $28,100
Barton: $17,600
Kevin: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI
(Alex: We've made it 50% easier for you...we think.)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Lindsey: Wager $7,101 to cover Barton, but no more than $12,899 so as not to fall behind Kevin's doubled score.
Barton: You have the hope of surpassing Lindsey if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,501 to force Lindsey to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $2,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Kevin.
Kevin: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last 2 letters of this city's name are the U.S. postal abbreviation for the state that it's the capital of

FINAL SCORES
Kevin: $7,600 + $7,600 = $15,200 (What is Albany) (3rd place: $1,000)
Barton: $17,600 + $17,600 = $35,200 (What is Albany?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lindsey: $28,100 + $7,101 = $35,201 (What is albany? Hi boy!) (New champion: $35,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lindsey: $23,800, 26 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Barton: $13,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kevin: $7,000, 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $44,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Lindsey: 27/59 = .458
Barton: 17/59 = .288
Kevin: 11/59 = .186
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
KINGS LANDING $1000: In 2017 Dutch king Willem-Alexander revealed that he'd spent 21 years as a co-pilot for this airline
(Alex: Royal Dutch Airlines, you are right.)

G.O.T. $1000: Gregory of Tours wrote a sixth-century history about the Merovingian Kingdom of these people.
(Lindsey: Who are the Gauls?)

HIGH GARDEN $200: There are roof gardens atop this Center in the center of Manhattan, between 5th & 6th Avenues around 50th Street
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute.)

THE PLAY'S LAST LINES $400: By Shaw: "Pickering! Nonsense! She's going to marry Freddy! Ha ha! Freddy! Freddy! Ha ha ha ha ha"
(Alex reads the clue in an English accent.)

ALL BETS ARE OFF $400: This Greek letter gave us part of the word for all the letters that make up a language
(Kevin: what is alphabet?)
(Alex: No.)
(Kevin: Oh!)
(Barton: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Yes! No "B-E-T". No bet!)

THE PLAY'S LAST LINES $2000: By Woody Allen: "Well, you see, the thing about Bogart that most people don't know is that..."
(Alex: Correct. You did well in the category. You're leading now with $15,600. Keep it going.)

THAT'S MY MATH OR SCIENCE THING! $800: Here's our in-depth examination of cats and dogs in this diagram, named for a 19th-century English logician.

ALL BETS ARE OFF $800: In comic books she's in a rivalry for the affections of Archie Andrews
(Alex: Yes, not Betty, [*].)

THAT'S MY MATH OR SCIENCE THING! $1600: If you love a Fibonacci sequence-- and who doesn't?-- you know it's the next number.

THAT'S MY MATH OR SCIENCE THING! $2000: This German created 2 tetrahedrons that mutually circumscribe & inscribe each other; now "strip"!
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

ON THE MOVE $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue):
A sloop has one mast with two sails; also with a double "O" in its name, this boat has at least two masts, the aftmost typically taller than the foremast

CORRECT RESPONSES
Avon
"Guinness on tap"
West Side Story
the Uncertainty Principle
Richard Pryor
crosstown
air traffic control
Albany
KLM
the Franks
Rockefeller Center
Pygmalion
alpha
Play It Again, Sam
Venn
Veronica
Mobius
schooner
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last 2 letters of this city’s name are the U.S. postal abbreviation for the state that it’s the capital of

Barton Wong: 17600+17600=35200
Lindsey Shultz: 28100+7101=35201 (New Champ)
Kevin Salat: 7600+7600=15200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Albany

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 200+1000
Barton: 7000+5000
Lindsey: 11400+5500

Coryats
Barton: 13800
Lindsey: 23800
Kevin: 7000

Combined: 44,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Barton: 5000
Lindsey: 7000
Kevin: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was a different beginning with Alex’s remarks to the viewing audience aired prior to the show’s usual opening. Scroll down to Andy's Thoughts here: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/03/fina ... -2019.html for the transcript of the remarks.

Barton once again went to the FJ! round in 2nd place and there was no escape for him a third time. The $2000 he left on the table for DD2 made no difference either. Lindsey was just too good on the clicker today.

Stir Crazy & Silver Streak comic is a TS is understandable in 2019 though still sad.

The FJ! clue had me fail to do one of my standard procedures with such a clue in not starting with the correct state from the beginning because of course that would be the one. Instead I played panic around the map run and failed doing mostly New England and the South.

Nice triple solve by the players. I wonder if they got it from the state approach or if any of them have the capitals memorized by alpha(bet) order making the hit easier?

Day by day things look better for the bubbling 4xers on the tracker.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This FJ brought back some nice memories. I'll bet Steve Unite got it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Did I start with my own damn home state? Of course not! I joined Mark in a panicked race around the map, but luckily hit AlbaNY with time to spare, else I might've quit for a week in disgust. I swear I've seen this exact clue before somewhere.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:I joined Mark in a panicked race around the map
Same story for me. Ain't gettin' this one unless I hit a lucky dart.
There's obviously not enough time to run through 30+ States in 30 seconds, so for that, I think the clue stinks. There wasn't any T-O-M in it either, that I could see. I'm pretty amazed all three managed to come up with it.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

I work for the NYS Assembly. If I didn't get that I'd never be able to show my face in public again.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

When the FJ category was revealed, Alex said something along the lines of, “we’ve eliminated 50 percent of the potential answers for you.” Only 24 states lie largely west of the Mississippi, and the capitals of the two states where it flows internally (St. Paul and Baton Rouge) both sit on the river’s eastern banks; so, the writers only eliminated 44 percent of the potential answers.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:22 pm There's obviously not enough time to run through 30+ States in 30 seconds, so for that, I think the clue stinks. There wasn't any T-O-M in it either, that I could see. I'm pretty amazed all three managed to come up with it.
I disagree on not having enough time, everybody is different. Some can do it, some cannot.

Here's the TOM, as you somewhat alluded to, FJ is not going to force you to parse all of that in order to arrive at the correct response. Therefore the answer is going to be found in a state that everybody will quickly tumble to. I'd think that if you didn't start in some sort of geographic order, the first two states you'd come up with would be New York and Florida.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lindsay played strong and deserved to win. But she scared the crap out of me with the Heisenberg Theory of Uncertainty and I'm surprised it was accepted. A quick google doesn't show any usage of that moniker. I guess they gave her the benefit of the uncertainty :lol: Aside - It is known as the Uncertainty Principle and is the bedrock notion behind quantum mechanics.

I dreaded the category as I knew it would be wordplay and I would fail to get something I know. Lucky break for me as I hit Albany with my second hop. If you want to play the game at home, here's the other 5 capital names that end with other states postal codes. (Be kind, I will update this if I have overlooked one. I can only state it with certainly up to Planck's constant over 2 pies on pi day).
Spoiler
Portland (my first stop, but duh! thanks xxaaxx!)
Austin
Richmond
Olympia/Columbia
Cheyenne
Alex's prologue was touching. His chewing up the scenery for the play lines is more bearable now, I hate to say.

ETA - the correction I foreshadowed; thanks yank!
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 pm I dreaded the category as I knew it would be wordplay and I would fail to get something I know. Lucky break for me as I hit Albany with my second hop. If you want to play the game at home, here's the other 5 capital names that end with other states postal codes. (Be kind, I will update this if I have overlooked one. I can only state it with certainly up to Planck's constant over 4 pies on pi day).
Spoiler
Portland
Austin
Richmond
Olympia
Cheyenne
Spoiler
Portland isn't the capital of Oregon (or Maine). It is the name of both states' largest cities; there's probably a DD/FJ in that.
Add ColumbIA
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 pm I dreaded the category as I knew it would be wordplay and I would fail to get something I know. Lucky break for me as I hit Albany with my second hop. If you want to play the game at home, here's the other 5 capital names that end with other states postal codes. (Be kind, I will update this if I have overlooked one. I can only state it with certainly up to Planck's constant over 4 pies on pi day).
Spoiler
Portland
Austin
Richmond
Olympia
Cheyenne
Spoiler
Portland isn't the capital of Oregon (or Maine). It is the name of both states' largest cities; there's probably a DD/FJ in that.
Add ColumbIA
Thanks. That was quick. Maybe my dumbness has made someone else smarter. I had Portland for Maine's capital, now I know it's where the Master's is held when they play the golf.
I need to stick to the dumb blonde theory of naming state capitals. The capital of Alabama is "A", etc...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

9021amyers wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:18 pm the capitals of the two states where it flows internally (St. Paul and Baton Rouge) both sit on the river’s eastern banks;
St. Paul is on BOTH sides of the river. The actual Capitol building is on the east side (actually the north side, as the river flows largely west-to-east through the city) so your point is still valid.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,200
41 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Richard Pryor

Congrats to Lindsey. She was a buzzsaw.
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 pm I swear I've seen this exact clue before somewhere.
I have too. I could've sworn it was used in a previous FJ!, but it doesn't turn up in the Archive.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got the triple stumpers of richard pryor and guinness on tap...i guess i am up on my druggie and drunk trivia
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

I was hoping someone could explain a point of strategy to me. In countless matches, the contestant with the most money bets just enough to win by a dollar. This is usually calculated by doubling the closest contestant's score and betting enough to win, as I indicated, by a dollar. If the leader misses, it's adios. I doubt a meager bet in this case is going to win. The leader MUST answer FJ correctly to guarantee a win. Seeing as your playing with house money in the tens of thousands, WHY fiddle with trying to settle for a second place $2000 vs. a paltry $1000? When's the next time you're going to get a chance at an additional tens of thousand of dollars for nothing? Why not bet the farm and win it big time. In either scenario, you MUST answer correctly. Why not go for the big bucks vs. haggling over second or third? Peanuts vs. the big bucks. Just sayin'.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

a1srvng wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 pm I was hoping someone could explain a point of strategy to me. In countless matches, the contestant with the most money bets just enough to win by a dollar. This is usually calculated by doubling the closest contestant's score and betting enough to win, as I indicated, by a dollar. If the leader misses, it's adios. I doubt a meager bet in this case is going to win. The leader MUST answer FJ correctly to guarantee a win. Seeing as your playing with house money in the tens of thousands, WHY fiddle with trying to settle for a second place $2000 vs. a paltry $1000? When's the next time you're going to get a chance at an additional tens of thousand of dollars for nothing? Why not bet the farm and win it big time. In either scenario, you MUST answer correctly. Why not go for the big bucks vs. haggling over second or third? Peanuts vs. the big bucks. Just sayin'.
You can't win with zero and you have to guard against 3rd.
In this particular game, if both 1st and 2nd got it wrong, 1st would still win against a correct double up by 3rd with the smaller wager.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

a1srvng wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 pm I was hoping someone could explain a point of strategy to me. In countless matches, the contestant with the most money bets just enough to win by a dollar. This is usually calculated by doubling the closest contestant's score and betting enough to win, as I indicated, by a dollar. If the leader misses, it's adios. I doubt a meager bet in this case is going to win. The leader MUST answer FJ correctly to guarantee a win. Seeing as your playing with house money in the tens of thousands, WHY fiddle with trying to settle for a second place $2000 vs. a paltry $1000? When's the next time you're going to get a chance at an additional tens of thousand of dollars for nothing? Why not bet the farm and win it big time. In either scenario, you MUST answer correctly. Why not go for the big bucks vs. haggling over second or third? Peanuts vs. the big bucks. Just sayin'.
i don't agree with going all in when the leader...but i do believe they should wager more optimally...the winning by the dollar thing is dumb and leaving money on the table...going all in and the opponents do the same and all miss, then you are tied with 0...most contestants in 2nd and 3rd are going to bet large, not taking into account various betting strategies...so the person in the lead should never go all in...i would have suggested 12899 for the person leading today...2nd place had to wager because a block of a double by 1st place wasn't going to go below his stand pat 0 wager in 2nd place....the 12899 would have put the leader above a successful double by last place if they were to miss...they always think about beating the 2nd place person by 1 dollar but rarely take into account a bigger wager will give them more money in the event they get it right and at the same time the extra amount really doesn't change things in the event of a miss if they just know how to do math
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Both J! and Wheel were blocked out for tornado coverage today. Anyone got today's Wheel? Opus?

Did they move Johnny's booth? I don't remember it being in the audience shots like that before.

These boards were not to my liking. I was 0/30 on the DJ! board, thanks in part to blanking on both Pythagoras and Venn.

Somehow I knew "Comfortably Numb" but not the teachers line.

I could've taken 100 guesses and never figured out that ATC was "air traffic control". That seemed rough for the top box.

Thought I was going to bomb this. I methodically plodded all over the map, and finally stumbled onto AlbaNY around the 22nd second.

Lach Trash: Guinness on tap