Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

For what it's worth, they edited out some of our discussion. One thing that got cut out was Louis asking me what I would do if I were the contestant. I said, "I would answer B with no hesitation, but I can't stand in your shoes," meaning that tolerance for risking $25,000 might be different than mine. I was increasingly confident as we talked it out that the answer had to be B, and I was trying to convey that, but I was also trying to get across that I did not know this for a fact. (In fact, this was the first thing I said to him: "I don't know this for a fact," but here's what I'm thinking.) I had no recollection of seeing the word "oscitation" before so I couldn't definitively say that it wasn't C, but everything we discussed seemed to be pointing to B. When I watched this on TV, I was surprised to see that Louis said he would have guessed C, because at no point in our discussion did I suggest that C seemed likely to be the right answer. I just couldn't say for sure that C was the wrong answer.

One thing that occurred to me after the taping that I wished I had thought of in the moment-- and I absolutely would have done this if it had occurred to me in the moment-- was to suggest to Louis that we share the risk. If he guessed B and it was wrong, I would give him $12,500 (half of what he would be risking). If he guessed B and it was right, he would give me $10,000 (half of the additional amount he would win on that question). He said that he probably would have taken the offer and gone for it. The producers told me that there was nothing prohibiting us from such an agreement and were kind of bummed that it hadn't happened because it would have made for great TV.

We talked out this question for at least six minutes, of which only three or four made it into the final edit. At one point, I said that the question made me think of "Good Vibrations" and said, "She's giving me oscitations..." It was interesting to me that they left the Jane Fonda bit in because the audience had no context for it. (Louis had said in the pre-interview that what he wanted to do with the money if he won was to buy lots of Jane Fonda memorabilia, but no one in the audience knew anything about that.) There was also a bit where we were looking at the word and wracking our brains to see if there was a different etymology we were overlooking. We talked about the possibility that "o-" might be a prefix and that "-sci" or "-scit" might be the root. It's too bad there wasn't time to show all of the deliberation and discussion because we covered a lot of ground and a bunch of angles.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had some sense that it could be related to "osculation," which is a fancy word for kissing, and which led me to yawning since each is done primarily with the mouth/lips. Obviously salivation is oral too, but I didn't feel like a fancier word than "salivation" exists for that particular action (or would need to). But the word "oscillation," which has nothing to do with the mouth, gave me pause about linking the two "osc__ation" words. I think I would have gone for it after the 50:50 at least, but that's easier to say here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

VoluptuousLoser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:25 am One thing that occurred to me after the taping that I wished I had thought of in the moment-- and I absolutely would have done this if it had occurred to me in the moment-- was to suggest to Louis that we share the risk. If he guessed B and it was wrong, I would give him $12,500 (half of what he would be risking). If he guessed B and it was right, he would give me $10,000 (half of the additional amount he would win on that question). He said that he probably would have taken the offer and gone for it. The producers told me that there was nothing prohibiting us from such an agreement and were kind of bummed that it hadn't happened because it would have made for great TV.
Thanks for the insight, Brian! You're absolutely right -- that would have made for a great Millionaire moment. You apparently have a different risk profile than Louis (or me, for that matter). I'm sorta surprised they would allow it, but I guess they're right -- technically it would seem there's nothing wrong with it. It's tough to think of it as real money when you're up there. I keep being amazed by people thinking it's funny money and making bets they never would have made with real money.

A quick look for its derivation just says that it's Latin for yawning. So digging around in your head for the etymology wasn't going to be particularly helpful in this case. It was a tough one, but that's what Millionaire throws at you at that level -- tough ones.

I want my airdate already!!! Tired of waiting, but I also keep hoping they're saving me for a sweeps month. Who knows?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I knew that guy looked familiar (3/14 show)
Spoiler
Ethan Blonder was a contestant on 2/4 & 2/5 and won $30K. Today he was picked out of the audience to play Thousandaire. Nice double dip even if shown out of order.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:06 amA quick look for its derivation just says that it's Latin for yawning. So digging around in your head for the etymology wasn't going to be particularly helpful in this case. It was a tough one, but that's what Millionaire throws at you at that level -- tough ones.
I'd like to welcome Louis to the $30K Club! That was a tough question, but at least it was one that you could reason out. I'm still haunted by the Sesame Street question that sent me home. No logical path to an answer

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:06 amI want my airdate already!!! Tired of waiting, but I also keep hoping they're saving me for a sweeps month. Who knows?
I predict el cinco de mayo for your show
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:10 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:06 amA quick look for its derivation just says that it's Latin for yawning. So digging around in your head for the etymology wasn't going to be particularly helpful in this case. It was a tough one, but that's what Millionaire throws at you at that level -- tough ones.
I'd like to welcome Louis to the $30K Club! That was a tough question, but at least it was one that you could reason out. I'm still haunted by the Sesame Street question that sent me home. No logical path to an answer

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:06 amI want my airdate already!!! Tired of waiting, but I also keep hoping they're saving me for a sweeps month. Who knows?
I predict el cinco de mayo for your show
Who is Melina Mercouri?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm Who is Melina Mercouri?
That went right over my head
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm Who is Melina Mercouri?
That went right over my head
They never air new episodes on Sunday.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought Jake Freud went for an answer he didn't mean to on the $30,000 question, to his benefit. The question was about Ekman's seven universal facial expressions, providing joy, anger, fear, and contempt as four of the expressions, and asking which of the four choices of sadness, surprise, confusion, and disgust was not also among the seven. Jake used the 50:50 and was left with confusion and disgust; he said that disgust seemed too similar to contempt, and locked in confusion for the $30k. So he apparently thought confusion was on the list, but the question was asking which choice was not one of the seven. He got very lucky!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Another $0 winner today. What was he thinking?!? :lol:
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:02 pm I knew that guy looked familiar (3/14 show)
Spoiler
Ethan Blonder was a contestant on 2/4 & 2/5 and won $30K. Today he was picked out of the audience to play Thousandaire. Nice double dip even if shown out of order.
Said to myself, "I know for sure this guy was an actual contestant." Recognized by looks and by story.
seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:36 pm Maybe I'm confused, but I thought Jake Freud went for an answer he didn't mean to on the $30,000 question, to his benefit. The question was about Ekman's seven universal facial expressions, providing joy, anger, fear, and contempt as four of the expressions, and asking which of the four choices of sadness, surprise, confusion, and disgust was not also among the seven. Jake used the 50:50 and was left with confusion and disgust; he said that disgust seemed too similar to contempt, and locked in confusion for the $30k. So he apparently thought confusion was on the list, but the question was asking which choice was not one of the seven. He got very lucky!
"Inside Out" really helped for $30k.

Apparently, neither Jake nor +1 were nerdy enough to know what the Fields Medal is. Luckily, they didn't need to know what it was. ;)
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:36 pm Maybe I'm confused, but I thought Jake Freud went for an answer he didn't mean to on the $30,000 question, to his benefit. The question was about Ekman's seven universal facial expressions, providing joy, anger, fear, and contempt as four of the expressions, and asking which of the four choices of sadness, surprise, confusion, and disgust was not also among the seven. Jake used the 50:50 and was left with confusion and disgust; he said that disgust seemed too similar to contempt, and locked in confusion for the $30k. So he apparently thought confusion was on the list, but the question was asking which choice was not one of the seven. He got very lucky!
I thought the same thing you did.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Have any other people gone from Thousandaire to the main game? That was weird to see him again.
mujason

Post by mujason »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:39 pm Have any other people gone from Thousandaire to the main game? That was weird to see him again.
I recall Jason Zollinger has appeared in both Thousandaire and the main game; he also competed against Seaborgium in J!'s TOC final.
-Jason
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

VoluptuousLoser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Yep, I had to back up the DVR to see if I really heard that right. He sure got the right answer for the wrong reason. I would have crashed and burned on that one using the same logic he did, but following the question correctly. Why would contempt and disgust both be on the list, they seem way too similar!
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 pm
VoluptuousLoser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Yep, I had to back up the DVR to see if I really heard that right. He sure got the right answer for the wrong reason. I would have crashed and burned on that one using the same logic he did, but following the question correctly. Why would contempt and disgust both be on the list, they seem way too similar!
My understanding of this is that "disgust" as used in this context is something more physical and less emotional than "contempt." Disgust represents the face you make when you smell something that's rotting, for example, whereas contempt is an emotional reaction.

Getting the question right for the wrong reasons is a beautiful thing. We got a question right last night by answering California, thinking that the question was asking about a boat that operates on the Sacramento River. It turns out the boat in question operates at Disneyland.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mujason wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:01 pm
Johnblue wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:39 pm Have any other people gone from Thousandaire to the main game? That was weird to see him again.
I recall Jason Zollinger has appeared in both Thousandaire and the main game; he also competed against Seaborgium in J!'s TOC final.
He's never played the main game. And it was the same thing as Thousandaire, but he was playing for a Disney cruise rather than cash.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

2016 J! champ Sally Neumann played today and provided a cautionary tale (albeit one with a happy ending) about taking a moment to think about questions. One of the first five questions asked how fast a clock's second hand travels, with the choices being 78, 45, 33 1/3, and 1 RPM. She said that she was clueless about math and immediately asked the audience, and shortly after the music began, she said, "Oh, I just figured it out!"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 pm 2016 J! champ Sally Neumann played today and provided a cautionary tale (albeit one with a happy ending) about taking a moment to think about questions. One of the first five questions asked how fast a clock's second hand travels, with the choices being 78, 45, 33 1/3, and 1 RPM. She said that she was clueless about math and immediately asked the audience, and shortly after the music began, she said, "Oh, I just figured it out!"
Thanks for the reminder as I forgot to check the player names for Archive matches. I've added a line for Sally and will fill in the amount tomorrow.

The RPM Q was doubly bad with first the ATA for $2K and then the 18% that went elsewhere.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Good process of elimination for $7,000. 2018 - 226 = 1792.
Wall Street Journal founded in 1889. Also knew Goldman-Sachs was founded in 1882: www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4420
U. S. Federal Reserve of course, Janet Yellen. (Who I was yelling at the TV to Sally. Of course, she didn't hear me.)
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Douglas Squasoni