LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by bomtr »

After a happy beer on Friday's set, in which I was quite happy to suss both Basho and Quisling, despite nearly dismissing the Japanese literature question as something I know nothing about, when in fact I do know a bit about it, and hunting the world over for heads of state assuming nominal power in 1942 before realizing that 'nasjional with the j just might be Scandinavian and 'oh, wait, nominal wouldn't mean in exile, but...', I had my worst day of the season on Monday's set, in which I had 3(!) MCWA, which is as many as I've had on more than one past entire season. Ouch. I considered the correct answer for 6, but Bible's a crap shoot for me (raised agnostic and just not too interested in the mythology). But I do feel bad about missing the clue on the apple q, and double Pieter should have gotten me to Breughel.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Per the J-Archive, British + Economist = Keynes, with a possible "3-named" thrown in as an extra clue.

I know that now.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

After beginning the season slow I now have 5 straight wins. Yesterday was lucky, 4(2)-3(3), but the questions had played really favorably to me the previous four days, as I had either 3 or 4 correct all four days.

I said Polk for the communities named for U.S. Presidents clue. I went through all the Presidents in my head and he seemed like the best fit, though Clinton was under consideration as well.

I am still not doing so well on defense. My current DE of .614 would be my 3rd worst mark ever if the season ended today (and 2nd worst outside of my rookie season).
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Hmm. Could not name any places in the US named Clinton. I knew Cleveland OH wasn't named after Grover, so I figured that had to be it.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:41 am Hmm. Could not name any places in the US named Clinton. I knew Cleveland OH wasn't named after Grover, so I figured that had to be it.
I felt it was most likely a 20th C prez who shared a last name with a famous someone or something. Got to DeWitt and George Clinton from there.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:41 am Hmm. Could not name any places in the US named Clinton. I knew Cleveland OH wasn't named after Grover, so I figured that had to be it.
oddly enough...there is a clinton, arkansas...no relation to billy boy...and is in van buren county
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I went with Johnson. I would think there are a lot more places named Johnson than Clinton. Sadly, I was wrong and it cost me the match 6(4)-7(4) against somebody I never am able to beat.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:11 am
alietr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am I was about to bite on Vegemite (blecch!), but kept going back and reading about her husband and descendants. Thorsten doesn't put something in the clue unless it's important. Then the light bulb came on.
Same here. Proud of my get on this one. My first thought was something with Mom and Mother in the name, and when I couldn't think of anything I thought about Grandma or Granny. I even knew that Granny Smith apples originated in Australia, so this one should have been easier, but it definitely took a while to come up with.
Bravo. I got the hint, but couldn't figure out what he was driving at, so I said peanut butter because why not? Vegemite was the word I wasn't going to recall in a million years

Got Esther but BOO HISS (Rattle) was lost on me

Assumed 5 right until I saw BRUEGHEL pop up. Didn't even hesitate for a second with Van Eyck!
not familiar with the Men at Work song "Down Under"?
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I went with Cleveland as well, as I could come up with 4 or 5 states with a Cleveland. Thought about Clinton as something that could be a place name, but was not familiar with any places named Clinton. Cleveland is found in 18 different states, and is about 20th most common per wikipedia.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:13 am I went with Cleveland as well, as I could come up with 4 or 5 states with a Cleveland. Thought about Clinton as something that could be a place name, but was not familiar with any places named Clinton. Cleveland is found in 18 different states, and is about 20th most common per wikipedia.
Another Cleveland here. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of this set of questions, and I think that would be the case even if I hadn't managed to give up a 7(3).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I changed Clinton to Ford, with the logic that Ford was a word as well as a name. Unfortunately I had diluted the question's wording to include cities that had a president's last name as part of their names and never read it carefully enough after the initial reading to break myself of that idea. Combined with the poor choice of giving "chorus" a 3 because of my opponent's low theater percentage, it resulted in a too-close-for-comfort 5(4)-4(2) win.
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 am I went with Johnson. I would think there are a lot more places named Johnson than Clinton. Sadly, I was wrong and it cost me the match 6(4)-7(4) against somebody I never am able to beat.
I ruled out Johnson because I inferred that "the last name of a former president, but none of the communities are actually named after him" meant that the last name wasn't shared by two presidents.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I knew it had to be a recent prez and, as above, I ruled out Bush and Johnson since it looked like a single name. Clinton seemed obvious & as I went backwards I knew it wouldn’t be any of the last ten.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:41 pm I knew it had to be a recent prez and, as above, I ruled out Bush and Johnson since it looked like a single name. Clinton seemed obvious & as I went backwards I knew it wouldn’t be any of the last ten.
That's what I -should- have done...but then I decided to keep counting back and landed on Cleveland... :roll:
Luckily it didn't cost me.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My big whiff yesterday was chorus. I was contemplating forum and gallery, but chorus didn't even cross my mind. I was very surprised to see how easy that question played.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had felt like the questions had played easy the past few days, and yesterday's set struck me as one that would go down as historically easy. All the questions were instant gets for me except for the rap one.

I was stumped as to how best to approach defense, but I did see that my opponent had missed the one previous basketball question that they had, so I took a chance and gave that one a 3. All the others seemed like viable candidates for the 0, but I decided to go with the Sri Lanka question for 0.

In the end my opponent missed Sri Lanka, parallax, and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, but I escaped with an 8(5)-6(3) win.

I was surprised by the low get rate on parallax. I couldn't have told you it or parsec's exact definitions, but when spotted "astronomy clue that starts with 'par'," it seemed not too difficult. (EDIT: it appears that the Commish being strict on spelling may have something to do with the low get rate.)

And I said Anderson .Paak for the rap question. For some reason I thought that he was in some group before he went solo.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

It helps that I live in Hell’s Kitchen, a Manhattan neighborhood that was rebranded as Clinton at some point
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

StevenH wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:23 am I was surprised by the low get rate on parallax. I couldn't have told you it or parsec's exact definitions, but when spotted "astronomy clue that starts with 'par'," it seemed not too difficult. (EDIT: it appears that the Commish being strict on spelling may have something to do with the low get rate.)
The phrasing killed me on parsec. The clue said "two words" and I immediately thought "arc second". Never looked back.
If it was "two terms"...I'd like to at least think I'd check myself and go, "No, arc second is one term..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am
Another Cleveland here. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of this set of questions, and I think that would be the case even if I hadn't managed to give up a 7(3).
I also gave up a 7(3) on Wednesday. I'm not sure whose fault it was, but it was pretty annoying.

On Friday, I switched from magazine to almanac, thinking it was an Arabic al-, which it may be, but -manac let down the side. Dictionary.com says "this word has been the subject of much speculation", so I guess it's not a likely candidate for future answerdom either. I might have survived this slip had my opponent noted my Bronx location and conceded me the hiphop question, but would you believe he went and threed me. The nerve of some people.

I was proud to get the parsec question right, as I was quite unsure of both parts. I didn't know what parallax meant, but I thought it was something cosmic, and I considered splitting the difference between "second" and "secant" for the other part, but since they're both such simple words, I feared I might get marked an angle shooter.
I'm smart and I want respect.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I also started with "magazine" and switched to "almanac." Cost me a 9(6) but I managed a 9(5) and a win. I now have a winning record in A (!) and the second-best defense in all of Horizon... second only to the player who leads all 12,000+ LLamas.
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lefty wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:16 pm I was proud to get the parsec question right, as I was quite unsure of both parts. I didn't know what parallax meant, but I thought it was something cosmic, and I considered splitting the difference between "second" and "secant" for the other part, but since they're both such simple words, I feared I might get marked an angle shooter.
Stick your arm out in front of you with your index finger up. Look at an object a bit away from you with one eye closed. Now close that eye and open the other one. That is a parallax. Now think about observing from one side of the earth and another side far away. You get a slightly different view.