Thursday, March 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:03 am
a1srvng wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 pm I was hoping someone could explain a point of strategy to me. In countless matches, the contestant with the most money bets just enough to win by a dollar. This is usually calculated by doubling the closest contestant's score and betting enough to win, as I indicated, by a dollar. If the leader misses, it's adios. I doubt a meager bet in this case is going to win. The leader MUST answer FJ correctly to guarantee a win. Seeing as your playing with house money in the tens of thousands, WHY fiddle with trying to settle for a second place $2000 vs. a paltry $1000? When's the next time you're going to get a chance at an additional tens of thousand of dollars for nothing? Why not bet the farm and win it big time. In either scenario, you MUST answer correctly. Why not go for the big bucks vs. haggling over second or third? Peanuts vs. the big bucks. Just sayin'.
You can't win with zero and you have to guard against 3rd.
In this particular game, if both 1st and 2nd got it wrong, 1st would still win against a correct double up by 3rd with the smaller wager.
but would have still won had they bet bigger and gone with 12899
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 am but would have still won had they bet bigger and gone with 12899
A surprising number of trailing players have No Idea How To Bet Properly, even in this situation when the play is Go All-In, and will become Random Number Rhonda and inevitably bet short. Betting to win by $1 still wins those situations, whereas betting 12899 might let Random Number Rhonda off the hook, despite their poor strategy
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 am but would have still won had they bet bigger and gone with 12899
A surprising number of trailing players have No Idea How To Bet Properly, even in this situation when the play is Go All-In, and will become Random Number Rhonda and inevitably bet short. Betting to win by $1 still wins those situations, whereas betting 12899 might let Random Number Rhonda off the hook, despite their poor strategy
i would take that risk rather than leave potential money on the table...the short wager is far less likely than the over bet...the over wager is the most common on jeopardy, so go for the optimal amount
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

See Donna Brown's and Manny Abell's last games. They had crush leads, bet more than the cover wager, got FJ wrong, and lost to people who got it right with small bets that would have guaranteed Donna and Manny victory if they had covered by $1.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 am
See Donna Brown's and Manny Abell's last games. They had crush leads, bet more than the cover wager, got FJ wrong, and lost to people who got it right with small bets that would have guaranteed Donna and Manny victory if they had covered by $1.
yeah there is the chance of that happening, but far less likely than the over wager...odds are they are just going to go all in...it isnt like the 1st place person is going all in...still covering in the case of 3rd place correct double
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm Here's the TOM, as you somewhat alluded to, FJ is not going to force you to parse all of that in order to arrive at the correct response. Therefore the answer is going to be found in a state that everybody will quickly tumble to. I'd think that if you didn't start in some sort of geographic order, the first two states you'd come up with would be New York and Florida.
To paraphrase TPH: unless it isn't. And I'm not sure why you think NY and Florida would be the first states most people would come up with.

I'm not a fan of this type of FJ. I'm confident all three players know all the state capitals so it just comes down to whether you can identify the correct one in time and that seems lame to me. I got this one, but just barely before the music ended.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote:
Category 13 wrote: There's obviously not enough time to run through 30+ States in 30 seconds, so for that, I think the clue stinks. There wasn't any T-O-M in it either, that I could see. I'm pretty amazed all three managed to come up with it.
I disagree on not having enough time, everybody is different. Some can do it, some cannot.
Maybe some people can strictly run through the Capitols in 30 seconds, but to also analyze the last two letters with the postal code adds a considerable bit of think time. I believe only the super gifted, re genius, could parse every eastern state in under 30 seconds and still have enough time to write down the response.

Like Kirk says, it's likely that most J! contestants are going to be versed on their state Capitols, so its lame to make it a horse race. This clue was more suited to IBM's Watson then the average trivia expert.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 am
Golf wrote:
Category 13 wrote: There's obviously not enough time to run through 30+ States in 30 seconds, so for that, I think the clue stinks. There wasn't any T-O-M in it either, that I could see. I'm pretty amazed all three managed to come up with it.
I disagree on not having enough time, everybody is different. Some can do it, some cannot.
Maybe some people can strictly run through the Capitols in 30 seconds, but to also analyze the last two letters with the postal code adds a considerable bit of think time. I believe only the super gifted, re genius, could parse every eastern state in under 30 seconds and still have enough time to write down the response.

Like Kirk says, it's likely that most J! contestants are going to be versed on their state Capitols, so its lame to make it a horse race. This clue was more suited to IBM's Watson then the average trivia expert.
I think it's a terrible clue for Watson. It involves synthesis of two fields of knowledge (state capitals and postal abbreviations) and not just straight knowledge of facts. Unless somewhere in its databases is a list of wordplay facts about state capitals that includes the fact that Albany ends with its state's postal abbreviation, I doubt Watson gets this one.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Where are the contestants from again? Because I don't see how FJ is a triget other than coastal bias. I started at the Mississippi and worked East and south.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Wrote down "Topeka" before the music started. Realized at the end of the first verse that KA is not Kansas's postal abbrev., it's KS. Couldn't pull AlbaNY in time.

And, y'know, the whole problem of Kansas being WEST of the Mississippi.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:05 am
Golf wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm Here's the TOM, as you somewhat alluded to, FJ is not going to force you to parse all of that in order to arrive at the correct response. Therefore the answer is going to be found in a state that everybody will quickly tumble to. I'd think that if you didn't start in some sort of geographic order, the first two states you'd come up with would be New York and Florida.
To paraphrase TPH: unless it isn't. And I'm not sure why you think NY and Florida would be the first states most people would come up with.

I'm not a fan of this type of FJ. I'm confident all three players know all the state capitals so it just comes down to whether you can identify the correct one in time and that seems lame to me. I got this one, but just barely before the music ended.
new york wasn't in the 20 states i ran through before running out of time
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:28 am Where are the contestants from again? Because I don't see how FJ is a triget other than coastal bias. I started at the Mississippi and worked East and south.
i kind of did the same...not sure why seeing there is an east coast bias with most things in this country
Golf

Post by Golf »

a1srvng wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 pm I was hoping someone could explain a point of strategy to me. In countless matches, the contestant with the most money bets just enough to win by a dollar. This is usually calculated by doubling the closest contestant's score and betting enough to win, as I indicated, by a dollar. If the leader misses, it's adios. I doubt a meager bet in this case is going to win. The leader MUST answer FJ correctly to guarantee a win. Seeing as your playing with house money in the tens of thousands, WHY fiddle with trying to settle for a second place $2000 vs. a paltry $1000? When's the next time you're going to get a chance at an additional tens of thousand of dollars for nothing? Why not bet the farm and win it big time. In either scenario, you MUST answer correctly. Why not go for the big bucks vs. haggling over second or third? Peanuts vs. the big bucks. Just sayin'.
The goal is to make the optimal wager to win the game, because if you win the game you have the opportunity to win infinite money. If you lose, you're done. Finished.

So in this case, wagering to win by $1 wins 100% of the time when answered correctly. But if incorrect, every single dollar wagered means less chance to win the game. A smaller wager shows a greater chance of winning. So if the upside is exactly the same, you go with the smaller amount. Even a wager of $12899 shows a lesser chance of winning the game.

There are tons of horrible wagers by contestants, but this isn't one of them.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R (Missing The Game of Thrones Question, The Pink Floyd Bass Player, and the Bottom Two in Cinematic Oakland.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Guinness on Tap, Crosstown, Air Traffic Control
Douglas Squasoni
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:22 pm
xxaaaxx wrote:I joined Mark in a panicked race around the map
Same story for me. Ain't gettin' this one unless I hit a lucky dart.
There's obviously not enough time to run through 30+ States in 30 seconds, so for that, I think the clue stinks. There wasn't any T-O-M in it either, that I could see. I'm pretty amazed all three managed to come up with it.
I agree. Unless you just happen to know this odd little factoid, or unless your mad scramble just happens to start in the right part of the country (and there's probably no better reason to start mentally searching in Maine than in Florida or Wisconsin or Louisiana), this is just a dumb question that anyone could answer in 2 minutes but in 30 seconds? Not likely. I was also amazed that all three got it.

Bad clue.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

As an Oakland resident, I was hella psyched at the Cinematic Oakland category and ran it. The prior episode had a fellow Oakland resident (Adrian). Would they have not used this category if she were the returning champion?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm 52 R (Missing The Game of Thrones Question, The Pink Floyd Bass Player, and the Bottom Two in Cinematic Oakland.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Guinness on Tap, Crosstown, Air Traffic Control
never pegged you as a drinker....you didn't get richard pryor? did you go with gene wilder?
goongas

Post by goongas »

Sitting here in NY, I only thought of Albany at the end of the time. I know I have heard this question before as well somewhere. A former trivia teammate of mine was in first place and she did wager it all and she lost. Had she left some money, she would have won her second game.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I got "Guinness on tap," but that phrase seems much, much less common than "Guinness on draught."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:59 am I think it's a terrible clue for Watson. It involves synthesis of two fields of knowledge (state capitals and postal abbreviations) and not just straight knowledge of facts. Unless somewhere in its databases is a list of wordplay facts about state capitals that includes the fact that Albany ends with its state's postal abbreviation, I doubt Watson gets this one.
I got this one. I started with capitals, and realized that was going to be too slow going. It was easier going with postal abbreviations, and NY came up right after a quick tour through New England.

But I'm going to respectfully disagree with you, Sg. I could solve this one in Excel, for example. Once it parses the meaning of the question (which it should be able to do) it certainly knows all of the capitals and postal codes, and just has to match them.