Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Had not one, but THREE categories where the $200 box cost me the run.

First, I had no idea who was involved in "That 70's Show".

Then I've NHO "pocket door" but got the next four. (Poll request?)

THEN I couldn't think of a brand that involved two W's, partially because I don't think of "Weight Watchers" as a brand.

However, I ran the Missouri category.

DJ!, on the other hand, was a totally different story. I was 4/5 in 15 Letter (all but "nongovernmental"), but got nothing else on the entire board.

No guess on FJ! I don't recognize either title.

Lach Trash: speedo, inquisitiveness
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:35 am Had not one, but THREE categories where the $200 box cost me the run.

THEN I couldn't think of a brand that involved two W's, partially because I don't think of "Weight Watchers" as a brand.

DJ!, on the other hand, was a totally different story. I was 4/5 in 15 Letter (all but "nongovernmental"), but got nothing else on the entire board.

have never seen an episode of that show and i got that one
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:35 am Had not one, but THREE categories where the $200 box cost me the run.

that reminded me....that woman was able to pull out jansport for swimsuit company, which is a backpack maker, but completely overlooked speedo?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 am I'm with twelvefootboy; you must be really fun at parties.
i don't do parties...i hate being around people...i am misanthropic...can't you tell by my name?
Which would make it all the more fun to see you at a party. Kinda of a fish outta water or cat in the water sorta thing, but without a life-threatening element. Note: I wouldn't cause either of those things and would help those animals, but CR, you'd be on your own.

Who's available for a surprise party at CR's?
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:35 am First, I had no idea who was involved in "That 70's Show".
Which was the more important information in that clue, the actors involved, or the fact that the 1970s ended in the show's final episode?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Vowela wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 pm I wasted thirty seconds trying to think of a second movie ending in "nbook" :P.
I was stuck on "The Artist", and trying to think of another "rtist".

2/3 on DDs though (1 and 3).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:00 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:35 am First, I had no idea who was involved in "That 70's Show".
Which was the more important information in that clue, the actors involved, or the fact that the 1970s ended in the show's final episode?
Just another mental connection that my brain didn't make. I think it's because my brain made a wrong turn at Ashton Kutcher, matching him to Two and a Half Men first, and then realizing that 1979 didn't fit there. Then when I got off that track, I actually said out loud, "wait, what show would have anything to do with the 70's?" and hit a dead end. I have no idea how I could SAY "70's show" out loud and still not latch onto That 70's Show.

Much like how in this game, I actually said "Red Cross" out loud immediately, and STILL couldn't figure out what the clue had to do with any sort of organization.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:37 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 am I'm with twelvefootboy; you must be really fun at parties.
i don't do parties...i hate being around people...i am misanthropic...can't you tell by my name?
Which would make it all the more fun to see you at a party. Kinda of a fish outta water or cat in the water sorta thing, but without a life-threatening element. Note: I wouldn't cause either of those things and would help those animals, but CR, you'd be on your own.

does that mean i will have to clean my dirty basement?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:01 am

does that mean i will have to clean my dirty basement?
NONE of us want to see your basement.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 pm
Euphonium wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?
never heard of him
Sorta surprised by this given that his most well-known work is entitled Danse Macabre.
Don't forget Carnival of the Animals. A teacher in elementary school played it for us. It's the first classical piece I can remember listening to.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I volunteer to leave a floater in his toilet!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Count me in as another that didn't recall Spotlight. I figured one of them was Moonlight, but just couldn't name another recent movie that ended in "light." I'd like to think this would have been an instaget had I been a contestant because Oscar winners would definitely be something I'd study.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Pocket Door, Lilac Girls, Maneuverability, and Arizona State.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Speedo, Kenya, Malaysia, Inquizitiveness, Russia, Baal, Camille Saint-Saens
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 am i don't do parties...i hate being around people...i am misanthropic...can't you tell by my name?
I pegged you as a sociopath, bro. Can't wait to hang out in your dirty basement!
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm No chance for me on FJ. morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
Sorry I let you down! And at the risk of repeating myself, morbeedo is never capitalized.

Instaget FJ, but I panicked when I saw the category, knowing they could ask absolutely anything. When I saw Lindsey pen down right out of the gate, I knew it was over.

Lindsey is right to take her time before responding on the DD. She's impressive, but I'm rooting for the challengers now

Good game for me, but hit a few landmines with the Stephen Hawking and Jordan DDs. Suffice it to say I got both wrong.

Trash: Speedo, Saint-Saens (duh), Kenya, Malaysia, inquisitiveness

On the Ralph Lauren clue, I told Lindsey "don't say Laur-EN" but she wasn't listening

So when you say Arizona, that means U of Arizona? Or was it wrong because not-specific

At one point Lindsey and Heavey were tied at $12,600, but that didn't last very long

Lauren's blue line makes me sad

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:26 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 am i don't do parties...i hate being around people...i am misanthropic...can't you tell by my name?
I pegged you as a sociopath, bro. Can't wait to hang out in your dirty basement!
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm No chance for me on FJ. morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
Sorry I let you down! And at the risk of repeating myself, morbeedo is never capitalized.

Instaget FJ, but I panicked when I saw the category, knowing they could ask absolutely anything. When I saw Lindsey pen down right out of the gate, I knew it was over.

Lindsey is right to take her time before responding on the DD. She's impressive, but I'm rooting for the challengers now

Good game for me, but hit a few landmines with the Stephen Hawking and Jordan DDs. Suffice it to say I got both wrong.

Trash: Speedo, Saint-Saens (duh), Kenya, Malaysia, inquisitiveness

On the Ralph Lauren clue, I told Lindsey "don't say Laur-EN" but she wasn't listening

So when you say Arizona, that means U of Arizona? Or was it wrong because not-specific

At one point Lindsey and Heavey were tied at $12,600, but that didn't last very long

Lauren's blue line makes me sad

it was wrong because it was arizona state...arizona is the wildcats...arizona state is the sundevils...check out a home game sometime...they have what they call "the curtain of distraction"....fans do shenanigans when the opposing team is shooting free throws to help them miss....michael phelps even got involved the other year when he was training at arizona state....btw...they play tonight against st johns...though it is in dayton and no curtain of distraction will be on hand
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:26 pm So when you say Arizona, that means U of Arizona? Or was it wrong because not-specific
Arizona means University of Arizona. (And Arizona State means Arizona State University)
The "University" is implied if you omit it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:26 pm So when you say Arizona, that means U of Arizona? Or was it wrong because not-specific
Arizona means University of Arizona. (And Arizona State means Arizona State University)
The "University" is implied if you omit it.
That's the confirmation I was looking for, thanks! I've seen this happen on J! before, now I know not to make that mistake - not that I'll be ringing in on any college sports questions ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Just saw this game which you've all naturally forgotten. So I'll remind you that FJ was "BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS: These 2 films, recent back-to-back winners, both have 9 letter titles that end with the same 5 letters".

I was able to think of the correct response immediately which meant I would have had the time (but probably not the guts) to write the following down:
Spoiler
What are Spotlight and La La Land Moonlight?