Thursday, March 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7954, 2019-03-21

CONTESTANTS
Stephanie Strong, an audiology student from Chicago, Illinois
Kate Becker, a hospital administrator from Albuquerque, New Mexico
Jonathan Lindeen, a senior finance manager from Denver, Colorado (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, everyone. Good to have you joining us also. Yesterday on our program, we said goodbye to a very good champion who left us after winning four shows, and a little bit over $101,000. Now, could the same thing happen to Kate, Stephanie, or Jonathan? Let's start finding out, shall we? Good luck. Here we go. Categories for this first round of play today are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DICKENS WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME (5/5)
TV DOCTORS (4/5)
COIN STAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INVENTED IN THE 1800s (4/5)
SUIT UP (4/5)
RHYMES WITH ALL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Stephanie: 9 R, 0 W
Kate: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonathan found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Jonathan had $2,400, Kate was scoreless, and Stephanie was at $2,400. Jonathan wagered $1,400.

COIN STAR $800: The stars allude to fireworks on a 2-pound coin the Royal Mint issued in 2005 to remember this plot on its 400th anniversary

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jonathan: $3,800
Stephanie: $2,400
Kate: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Stephanie Strong is from Chicago, Illinois. If I recall correctly, according to Clint Eastwood, a good pair of Channellocks and duct tape will solve almost all of your problems at home. You have a special connection to duct tape.

Stephanie: Yes. All of the wallets that I've ever had have been made out of duct tape. So I'm a big fan of the material.

Alex: Who makes these wallets?

Stephanie: So I made a couple of them, and then a few I received as gifts. But it just started as kind of a tradition for me, and kept it going.

Alex: I'd be happy to give you four, five bucks to buy a wallet.

Stephanie: Nah.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kate Becker, hospital administrator from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I have a number of fruit trees on my property, which are there primarily to feed the squirrels that come around every day. You inherited a home that has fruit trees, but you took it in a different way.

Kate: Yeah, we had never actually had fruit trees before. And we had a lot of 'em, so we were sort of drowning pears and a lot of other things. So I learned to can.

Alex: Good for you.

Kate: Yeah, it was kind of exciting.

Alex: How much time do you spend doing that? 'Cause it takes time.

Kate: Well, in the fall, you're really busy. But the rest of the year, you get to enjoy it.

Alex: Get to go down to your cellar and pull out a jar with preserved fruit. Good.

Alex: Jonathan Lindeen is our champion. He's from Denver, Colorado. A hiker and a mountain climber.

Jonathan: Yeah.

Alex: What are we talking about?

Jonathan: I try to enjoy Colorado as much as I can. So in the summertime that means getting up there and hiking some mountains.

Alex: And how many of the top peaks of your state have you climbed?

Jonathan: I'm working my way through the fourteeners. I've done 20 right now.

Alex: Wow.

Jonathan: Still have a way to go.

Alex: Do you do it alone, with buddies?

Jonathan: Usually with a buddy.

Alex: Yeah. Safer that way.

Jonathan: Absolutely.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INVENTED IN THE 1800s $1000: Don't fear his reaper, patented in 1834
(Kate: Who is John Deere?)

TV DOCTORS $800: In his youth, this actor, who played Dr. McCoy, wanted to be a physician himself

SUIT UP $200: Without the pressurized interior of this suit, AKA an EMU, your blood would boil in a vacuum

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jonathan: $8,200
Stephanie: $4,600
Kate: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ARTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MYTH-POURRI (5/5)
3 CONSECUTIVE CONSONANTS (5/5)
TRAVELING (5/5)
18th CENTURY NICKNAMES (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE SPORTING "NEW"s (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kate: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Stephanie: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jonathan: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonathan snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Jonathan had $11,000, Kate had $6,400, and Stephanie was at $6,600. Jonathan wagered $2,000.

THE ARTS $1600: The title character of this drama by Henrik Ibsen is bored by her marriage to Jorgen Tesman
(Alex: Jonathan?)
(Jonathan: I don't know.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kate who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Jonathan had $10,200, Kate had $9,600, and Stephanie was at $10,200. Kate wagered $600.

18th CENTURY NICKNAMES $2000: Shunned by his faith, Revolutionary War gen. Nathanael Greene was paradoxically called "The Fighting" this

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
18th CENTURY NICKNAMES $400: Blamed for France's near bankruptcy, this 18th century queen came to be called "Madame Deficit"

18th CENTURY NICKNAMES $800: This president was "The American Cincinnatus", after a Roman who answered the call to leadership but preferred farming

18th CENTURY NICKNAMES $1600: A British empire builder was called "Clive of" this Asian land & was known there as Sabut Jung, or "Daring in War"

THE SPORTING "NEW"s $2000: Last name of Cleveland Browns great & pro football Hall of Famer Ozzie

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jonathan: $14,200
Kate: $13,400
Stephanie: $13,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jonathan: Wager $12,601 to cover Kate.
Kate: You ought to wager to cover Stephanie, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $13,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $12,600 (to shut out Stephanie) or less than $11,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Stephanie). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jonathan.
Stephanie: You ought to try wagering between $401 and $11,400. This will top a $0 wager by Kate while still beating Jonathan and Kate on the Triple Stumper (should Jonathan wager to cover Kate's doubled score and Kate wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Alfred Hitchcock wrote, "It's because I liked" his "stories so much that I began to make suspense films"

FINAL SCORES
Stephanie: $13,000 - $2,000 = $11,000 (Who is ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kate: $13,400 + $13,000 = $26,400 (Who is Edgar Allen Poe?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jonathan: $14,200 + $12,601 = $26,801 (Who is Poe?) (2-day champion: $48,802)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jonathan: $15,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kate: $14,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Stephanie: $13,000, 17 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $43,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 20/60 = .333
Stephanie: 17/58 = .293
Kate: 17/59 = .288
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MYTH-POURRI $1200: In Norse myth Jormungandr is a Midgard serpent who will kill this beloved god at Ragnarok
(Jonathan: Who is Odin?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Gunpowder Plot
Cyrus McCormick
DeForest Kelley
a spacesuit
Hedda Gabler
Quaker
Marie Antoinette
George Washington
Clive of India
Newsome
Edgar Allan Poe
Thor
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Alfred Hitchcock wrote, “it’s because I liked” his “stories so much that I began to make suspense films”

Jonathan Lindeen: 14200+12601=26801 (2x = $48,802)
Kate Becker: 13400+13000=26400
Stephanie Strong: 13000-2000=11000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Edgar Allan Poe (Stephanie – Who is ?)

Daily Doubles
Jonathan: 2400+1400
Jonathan: 11000-2000
Kate: 9600+600

Coryats
Jonathan: 15600
Kate: 14800
Stephanie: 13000

Combined: 43,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 8200
Kate: 2800
Stephanie: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was only a matter of which player would neg as I called the incorrect guess as soon as the reaper clue appeared.

Stranger stumper of the day was no one getting France's 18th queen. It's top box people, it's going to be her and no one else.

Alex may have or may not have cost Kate the game at DD3. Kate had 9600 with her opponents both at 10200 and of course the host had to point out the 600 deficit that could create a 3-way tie. She bit and bet just the 600. Bottom box DD could have been a low wager anyway though the "standard 2K" could have set her up for the lead in the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue had me go the short route Jonathan took although I was on it quick. Kate went the full route and had the typical misspelling for the middle name.

My precall list should have had the right guy since the J! writers love to use him. Instead I had a mix of Twain (always first instinct for that category), King (had the right area), Grafton, Grisham, Fitzgerald and Harper Lee.

Nice repeat win by Jonathan in having the lead and solving the FJ! clue. He'll get some boos in Cleveland for not knowing the Browns player.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 44,000
51 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Cyrus McCormick, space suit, Marie Antoinette, George Washington, Newsome

Welp. FJ! was obvious in retrospect, but Poe just didn't come to me. Alex's sentiment regarding "if it doesn't come to you immediately..." was right, although he got it backwards about how the rest of the time feels. (The panic makes the time seem to go faster, not slower.)

I also blanked on "the other Ibsen play." I was forced to go with A Doll's House even though I knew that was wrong.

No overwrought "Robbie Burns" from Alex? Say it ain't so!
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WNEM has gotten a lot more diligent about making sure that J! and Wheel air, come hell or high water. They used to leave viewers high and dry for pre-emptions, and utterly ignore any complaints.

I really like that Clay Jacobsen sometimes shows Johnny's booth during the opening pan.

Ran Invented, Coin Star, and Rhymes with All, along with 3 Consonants in DJ!

I had no idea on Suit Up for $200 either.

What could be cracked and become the earth in myth? Could be anything. I could've taken 100 guesses without ever landing on "egg". That seemed like a YEKIOYD clue. I ended up 0/5 there.

I thought 18th Century Nicknames was tricky. Marie Antionette and George Washington are by no means obscure names, but those clues seemed very lacking in TOM.

Uhhhhhh.... was Poe American? Sure, why not.

Lach Trash: Cyrus McCormick
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Surprised that nobody got McCormick. I know I got it though. :D

That 600 DD wager cost her. Go for a tying score with like 10 clues left? what does that do?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Guessed Mark Twain for FJ. Don't ask. NEVER would have considerd EAP.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i am surprised trebek didn't say robbie burns in his lame accent after a contestant gave him as a correct response
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

instaget final...no idea who else it could have been, but i am limited when it comes to literature
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm WNEM has gotten a lot more diligent about making sure that J! and Wheel air, come hell or high water. They used to leave viewers high and dry for pre-emptions, and utterly ignore any complaints.

I really like that Clay Jacobsen sometimes shows Johnny's booth during the opening pan.

What could be cracked and become the earth in myth? Could be anything. I could've taken 100 guesses without ever landing on "egg". That seemed like a YEKIOYD clue. I ended up 0/5 there.

I thought 18th Century Nicknames was tricky. Marie Antionette and George Washington are by no means obscure names, but those clues seemed very lacking in TOM.

top box for french queen..who else would it have been?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm WNEM has gotten a lot more diligent about making sure that J! and Wheel air, come hell or high water. They used to leave viewers high and dry for pre-emptions, and utterly ignore any complaints.

CTFO...he is synonymous with baltimore
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm Uhhhhhh.... was Poe American? Sure, why not.
I thought Calvert was synonymous with Baltimore.

Unfortunately, even though two got FJ right, no one recalled the bombers from Soviet airspace. *sings* We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know wheeeeeen....

Spacesuit was evil. My brain kept tripping over itself trying to put extravehicular mobility unit together in that narrow window.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:34 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm Uhhhhhh.... was Poe American? Sure, why not.
I thought Calvert was synonymous with Baltimore.

Unfortunately, even though two got FJ right, no one recalled the bombers from Soviet airspace. *sings* We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know wheeeeeen....

Spacesuit was evil. My brain kept tripping over itself trying to put extravehicular mobility unit together in that narrow window.
cal ripken jr comes to mind in regards to baltimore before that british POS calvert and equally as bad whiskey of the same name
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Stephanie took the quick lead out of the tiebreak then wasn't heard from. I think Kate's modest wager makes sense from a bottom box in a trap category where they clammed on George Washington. Enough clues to recover, too many to guarantee a crush, just stay in the hunt.

Poe was a WECIB for me. It was funny how they saved "sporting" for last. And then they had to have a clue with Voldemort (Patriots) in it to represent the football. :evil:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 pm Stephanie took the quick lead out of the tiebreak then wasn't heard from. I think Kate's modest wager makes sense from a bottom box in a trap category where they clammed on George Washington. Enough clues to recover, too many to guarantee a crush, just stay in the hunt.

Poe was a WECIB for me. It was funny how they saved "sporting" for last. And then they had to have a clue with Voldemort (Patriots) in it to represent the football. :evil:
I was expecting a neg early on where someone forgot the category and just gave the team name and not the location as well.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:24 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 pm Stephanie took the quick lead out of the tiebreak then wasn't heard from. I think Kate's modest wager makes sense from a bottom box in a trap category where they clammed on George Washington. Enough clues to recover, too many to guarantee a crush, just stay in the hunt.

I was expecting a neg early on where someone forgot the category and just gave the team name and not the location as well.
Yes, I was impressed that no one fell into that trap. This was an exciting game with three worthy players.

Like you, I interpreted the "spacesuit" clue as looking for the expansion of an initialism.

For whatever strange reason, my first response for FJ! was O. Henry, but it only took me about eight seconds to get to Poe, leaving me lots of time to write his name. :lol:

The saddest triple stumper for me was DeForest Kelley. :cry:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

super easy...pizzes me off when they water down sports categories....teach em a lesson and tell them be more well rounded in it and not just know softball bs
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:38 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Yes, I was impressed that no one fell into that trap. This was an exciting game with three worthy players.

Like you, I interpreted the "spacesuit" clue as looking for the expansion of an initialism.

For whatever strange reason, my first response for FJ! was O. Henry, but it only took me about eight seconds to get to Poe, leaving me lots of time to write his name. :lol:

The saddest triple stumper for me was DeForest Kelley. :cry:
never heard of him
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I recognize the name (DeForest) but wouldn't have been able to match it to a face.

Congrats to Jonathan on another solid win.