reddit jeopardy done?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

reddit jeopardy done?

Post by triviawayne »

I've never been a reader of the comments in the threads, but have been watching the show there since I have no other way of doing it, but the show isn't up for today, and the top comment is, "Due to circumstances we're all familiar with by now, this looks like the end of the recaps, at least for the time being."

Is the day's game no longer going to be posted? Are there other sources?

I need to know!!!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: reddit jeopardy done?

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

There was a copyright complaint lodged against the subreddit.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

The reddit user who posted recordings has had everything he posts be taken down for the last week or two. It looks like that run of good luck for online watching has ended. Sony and their legal team have decided this was too much of a copyright violation.

I don't know of other ways to watch the show for free without cable/broadcast/satellite access and I would be very leery to publicly mention one right now even if I did.

Some have mentioned youtube tv and cbs all access (using a VPN to show your location as a place where cbs carries J!), however both of these are live-only, and not recorded.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ugh. I have been behind on my viewing all season. I am currently up to February 7. I do have it record on my DVR, but it is only set to keep the previous ten episodes. I did watch the team tourney, but it still leaves eleven episodes I will miss. :(
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This is terrible news.
Sprinkles are for winners.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Well this sucks for those of us who don’t have a way to watch.

I get the copyright reasons, but I just can’t figure out why they don’t just get it into the syndication contract about putting it on crackle or somewhere accessible.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Oh well, back to being SOL whenever there's a weather/news preemption, or WABC decides that NBA/college football is more important.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:40 pm Oh well, back to being SOL whenever there's a weather/news preemption, or WABC decides that NBA/college football is more important.
Check overnights after nightline, they may slot it there on those days.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:28 pm Well this sucks for those of us who don’t have a way to watch.

I get the copyright reasons, but I just can’t figure out why they don’t just get it into the syndication contract about putting it on crackle or somewhere accessible.
I usually record it on my DVR, but my signal comes from an HD antenna since I'm a cord-cutter. But every now and then I come home to find that my recording is unwatchable due to interference. On those days I had watched on reddit. So this sucks going forward. I don't understand how in 2019, Sony hasn't come up with a hulu-type solution to make online access available. The trend in general is towards people consuming TV content by streaming.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 pm I don't understand how in 2019, Sony hasn't come up with a hulu-type solution to make online access available. The trend in general is towards people consuming TV content by streaming.
The only answer is that the current model is still more profitable than any sort of streaming solution would be. Which makes sense to me. Jeopardy! is able to position itself as appointment television and charge more to local affiliates because of the "watch Jeopardy! here or don't watch Jeopardy! at all" factor. Introducing a streaming service, even if they got 100,000 subscribers at $5/month, would only match what WABC or KABC pays yearly for the rights, and the fact that affiliates wouldn't want to pay as much would not offset the increased streaming revenue.
Andy Saunders
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:09 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 pm I don't understand how in 2019, Sony hasn't come up with a hulu-type solution to make online access available. The trend in general is towards people consuming TV content by streaming.
The only answer is that the current model is still more profitable than any sort of streaming solution would be. Which makes sense to me. Jeopardy! is able to position itself as appointment television and charge more to local affiliates because of the "watch Jeopardy! here or don't watch Jeopardy! at all" factor. Introducing a streaming service, even if they got 100,000 subscribers at $5/month, would only match what WABC or KABC pays yearly for the rights, and the fact that affiliates wouldn't want to pay as much would not offset the increased streaming revenue.
I'm not talking about selling dedicated subscriptions to a single TV program, which I agree would not seem like a viable business model. What I had in mind was a licensing arrangement with a platform like Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. The networks were able to keep their affiliates in line despite making their shows available on Hulu and even their own websites -- even though the most popular prime-time shows used to be promoted as appointment television. I'm sure Sony would have to accept less in syndication fees as a trade-off, but that doesn't mean they can't make it work. Or what about coming up with a solution where as part of the syndication package, the channels stream the show on their own websites? I do think that as J! is perennially seeking to attract a younger demographic, it would behoove Sony to be cognizant of how that demo in particular is increasingly viewing TV content.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:55 pm I'm sure Sony would have to accept less in syndication fees as a trade-off, but that doesn't mean they can't make it work.
What if it doesn't work? What then? It working isn't guaranteed -- especially if you take into account that a new host is coming in in the next five years, and any new host is going to alienate some of the viewing audience.

You're essentially risking the current viability of the show here. If revenues nosedive, then Jeopardy! becomes another Millionaire, with a transient production staff, rushed schedules, and much less institutional memory. Ask anyone who's been on both shows about the differences in the taping experience.

Is Sony willing to take that big of a risk? I don't think it's a good idea.
Andy Saunders
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:28 pm Well this sucks for those of us who don’t have a way to watch.

I usually record it on my DVR, but my signal comes from an HD antenna since I'm a cord-cutter. But every now and then I come home to find that my recording is unwatchable due to interference. On those days I had watched on reddit. So this sucks going forward. I don't understand how in 2019, Sony hasn't come up with a hulu-type solution to make online access available. The trend in general is towards people consuming TV content by streaming.
I can’t get more than lical PBS and a crappy local independent station with an antenna.

Cable was invented just to sell television sets where I live.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:10 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:55 pm I'm sure Sony would have to accept less in syndication fees as a trade-off, but that doesn't mean they can't make it work.
What if it doesn't work? What then? It working isn't guaranteed -- especially if you take into account that a new host is coming in in the next five years, and any new host is going to alienate some of the viewing audience.

You're essentially risking the current viability of the show here. If revenues nosedive, then Jeopardy! becomes another Millionaire, with a transient production staff, rushed schedules, and much less institutional memory. Ask anyone who's been on both shows about the differences in the taping experience.

Is Sony willing to take that big of a risk? I don't think it's a good idea.
If the ratings crater due to a new host to the point where there's a massive diminution in revenue (a prospect I think is unlikely), that won't be attributable to what platforms J! is viewable on.

And in the long run -- and possibly much sooner -- I think the bigger risk to Sony is to stand pat in the face of the convulsive changes engulfing the TV industry.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 924404002/

Eventually, the migration of viewers away from broadcast TV and cable will affect the stations that Sony syndicates to,which will lead to a decline in revenue anyway if Sony doesn't adapt.

Like I suggested, perhaps in the case of syndicators like Sony the solution is to get the stations themselves to stream. Or maybe the best choice is indeed to license to one of the established platforms I mentioned. Or Sony could make the show available on a proprietary site and embed ads in it, similar to what Hulu does. Regardless, I don't think restricting the availability of J! to traditional TV is sustainable.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Some useful tips for cheap and legal ways to watch J! Online:

Use the cbs app and change your location to places that broadcast jeopardy at different times. In Canada and the US there is nothing illegal about spoofing location - it may violate the terms of service of various providers, and they may try to shut it down eventually, but it is legal.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

CBS All Access can be a little cheaper at $60.00 by paying for a full year instead of $6.00 per month @ $72.00 for the year.

It's worth it for me just having various options to see J! & Millionaire. Throw in the exclusive programs or the option when I want to see Survivor or Big Brother earlier than the Pacific local airing and it's a great deal.

The use of Location Guard is easy to change my pin around the map as needed to access different local affiliates around the country.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 pm
I can’t get more than lical PBS and a crappy local independent station with an antenna.

Unless you live waaay out in the boonies, if you put a good amplified antenna in a relatively unobstructed location, you can probably get at least the four main networks. I use his antenna https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Whole ... SwqbxZ7in5 to get channels from over 60 miles away. I also connect it to an ota dvr which might help because some TVs don't have very good ota digital signal receivers.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I live in the inner city and never had good results with antenna TV, no matter how much money I invested in the enterprise with huge antennas, amplifiers, UPS backups for the amplifiers, etc. Got digital drop-out every few seconds (which, if you're familiar with digital anything, is way worse than analog signal distortion, because it means the signal is totally indecipherable rather than just mildly corrupted), and sometimes it would drop out for days or weeks for no reason. It was just too unreliable, even for the channels that came in the best. Any kind of thunderstorm and forget about it.

I presume the Sony legal action was the result of that Medium article.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Vintsanity wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:52 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 pm

Unless you live waaay out in the boonies, if you put a good amplified antenna in a relatively unobstructed location, you can probably get at least the four main networks. I use his antenna https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Whole ... SwqbxZ7in5 to get channels from over 60 miles away. I also connect it to an ota dvr which might help because some TVs don't have very good ota digital signal receivers.
Not way out in the boondocks, but can not get a signal, no matter what equipment