reddit jeopardy done?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: reddit jeopardy done?

Post by kerryoakie »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:30 pm I live in the inner city and never had good results with antenna TV, no matter how much money I invested in the enterprise with huge antennas, amplifiers, UPS backups for the amplifiers, etc. Got digital drop-out every few seconds (which, if you're familiar with digital anything, is way worse than analog signal distortion, because it means the signal is totally indecipherable rather than just mildly corrupted), and sometimes it would drop out for days or weeks for no reason. It was just too unreliable, even for the channels that came in the best. Any kind of thunderstorm and forget about it.

I presume the Sony legal action was the result of that Medium article.
Same here with the inner city. The NBC affiliate is north of downtown and I frequently get the "No Signal" screen. Additionally, there is a railway and heliport right next to my apartment. Any time a train, helicopter, or semi-truck goes by, I lose my signal. I've spent entire episodes holding the wire to my antenna a certain way because that's the only way I could get a signal to come through.

Also, that article created quite a buzz on reddit after it was posted. Many users were calling out the author for mentioning the streams.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was actually invited to be a moderator of that subreddit at one point and declined. I had a feeling that Sony's legal team would get involved at some point and I just didn't want to open myself up to anything. Also, I knew it wouldn't be helpful for my odds of getting the call.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I noticed someone on youtube that had an account with all of February's episodes up had all their videos deleted. I will miss the reddit guy, I just wonder what took Sony so long.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:51 pm I noticed someone on youtube that had an account with all of February's episodes up had all their videos deleted. I will miss the reddit guy, I just wonder what took Sony so long.
That dumbass reporter who wrote the Medium article linked upthread probably forced their hand.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

This blows. I don't own a TV.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

boson wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 pm Some useful tips for cheap and legal ways to watch J! Online:

Use the cbs app and change your location to places that broadcast jeopardy at different times. In Canada and the US there is nothing illegal about spoofing location - it may violate the terms of service of various providers, and they may try to shut it down eventually, but it is legal.
I used that technique to watch tonight's episode, via CBS's Las Vegas affiliate, after my DVR recording from my local broadcast (received via my HD antenna) came out garbled. It really works! For people like triviawayne who have no other way to watch, I highly recommend this option. A year's subscription to CBS All Access is only $59.99.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Apparently this has made Sony more vigilant about old episodes too. I had my old episodes on YouTube and they've all been taken down over the last couple of days.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:48 pm Apparently this has made Sony more vigilant about old episodes too. I had my old episodes on YouTube and they've all been taken down over the last couple of days.
One of your games can be found. Not to make it too easy for the take down police: Do a search of the game show's name and the year of your debut. Scroll down to see your mug. Coupled with the miss of the Friday FJ! clue it would seem late 19th c. literature can be your Achilles heel.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

With the CBS All access, I can now see the show!

Now I'm wondering if there is a way I could record it. Even if I have to turn it on while I'm at home.

Sometimes I'm just busy with other things, but would be able to get my computer on and have the live TV going, but would like to record it to watch the next day.

I have Windows 10.

Anyone know of a way?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 am With the CBS All access, I can now see the show!

Now I'm wondering if there is a way I could record it. Even if I have to turn it on while I'm at home.

Sometimes I'm just busy with other things, but would be able to get my computer on and have the live TV going, but would like to record it to watch the next day.

I have Windows 10.

Anyone know of a way?
Doesn't it come with On Demand? Or is that only for their produced shows?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:48 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 am With the CBS All access, I can now see the show!

I have Windows 10.

Anyone know of a way?
Doesn't it come with On Demand? Or is that only for their produced shows?
Only for network shows, or exclusive content

ETA: otherwise we wouldn’t need to deal with locations

ETA(again): oops...yes we would need to deal with locations (this is a weird situation I'm dealing with, TV used to be so simple)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I have Windows 10.

Anyone know of a way?
Through some quick googling, I found these, one or more of which may do what you need (and some of them are free):

https://en.softonic.com/solutions/what- ... ulu-videos

Disclaimer: I don't know whether recording with such software would be within the CBS All Access terms of service.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well for that matter, if you're using Windows 10, just hit Windows-G, and tell it you're recording a game.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:23 pm Well for that matter, if you're using Windows 10, just hit Windows-G, and tell it you're recording a game.
I knew there was something on the ipad that would do it (I don't have one of those), and was hoping someone would know if Windows had a way.

I'll try this!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:00 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:23 pm Well for that matter, if you're using Windows 10, just hit Windows-G, and tell it you're recording a game.
I knew there was something on the ipad that would do it (I don't have one of those), and was hoping someone would know if Windows had a way.

I'll try this!
It wants me to sign into x box or something, all I want to do is find the file and watch it. How?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:05 pm

I'll try this!
It wants me to sign into x box or something, all I want to do is find the file and watch it. How?
This might help:
That’s about all there is to this feature. You can find your saved videos in the Game DVR section of the Xbox app, or inside your user folder under Video > Captures.
From here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2949307 ... y-app.html
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:11 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:05 pm

I'll try this!
This might help:
That’s about all there is to this feature. You can find your saved videos in the Game DVR section of the Xbox app, or inside your user folder under Video > Captures.
From here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2949307 ... y-app.html
tried it, it works. sound is a little hit or miss though. kind of skipping here and there. might have been my connection tonight? I'll try more, but for now it looks like I might have a way to record it, then watch later, as long as I'm home to do the recording.
user8230
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by user8230 »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:58 pm
Vintsanity wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:52 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 pm
I can’t get more than lical PBS and a crappy local independent station with an antenna.

Cable was invented just to sell television sets where I live.
Unless you live waaay out in the boonies, if you put a good amplified antenna in a relatively unobstructed location, you can probably get at least the four main networks. I use his antenna https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Whole ... SwqbxZ7in5 to get channels from over 60 miles away. I also connect it to an ota dvr which might help because some TVs don't have very good ota digital signal receivers.
Not way out in the boondocks, but can not get a signal, no matter what equipment
The TV station's signal can be blocked by hills between you and their antenna. So in that case, unless you want to erect a tower taller than the hill, you are SOL.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

user8230 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:12 am
triviawayne wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:58 pm
Vintsanity wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:52 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 pm
I can’t get more than lical PBS and a crappy local independent station with an antenna.

Cable was invented just to sell television sets where I live.
Unless you live waaay out in the boonies, if you put a good amplified antenna in a relatively unobstructed location, you can probably get at least the four main networks. I use his antenna https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Whole ... SwqbxZ7in5 to get channels from over 60 miles away. I also connect it to an ota dvr which might help because some TVs don't have very good ota digital signal receivers.
Not way out in the boondocks, but can not get a signal, no matter what equipment
The TV station's signal can be blocked by hills between you and their antenna. So in that case, unless you want to erect a tower taller than the hill, you are SOL.
I’m too far from an affiliate, but not in the boondocks either.

Networks never felt the need for an affiliate in this area because in the early days of tv, the area wasn’t big enough, and by the time it was big enough, everyone here had cable because there was no signal.

I am in a valley, but I am on high ground where the hills aren’t the reason I don’t get a signal.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

teapot37 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:48 pm Apparently this has made Sony more vigilant about old episodes too. I had my old episodes on YouTube and they've all been taken down over the last couple of days.
Chris Miller, have you heard of Entura International?, They are very mean. They also took down all of Mark Wales' games and Richard Cordray's April 1987 run. Gosh. I hope you can sign up for Internet Archive and reupload your full run and the entire 2004 Tournament of Champions there, or maybe upload them to Google Drive, or try Vimeo or Veoh. First, the Google Plus shutdown, now Entura International. YouTube this year seems like they want to clean house.