Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:18 am Funny, but that must be pretty old.
It's from April 1999.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:37 am Austin Rogers game 9 reran this weekend.

CHEMISTRY, $400: Gallium turns to liquid slightly above this temperature sometimes given as 72 degrees Fahrenheit

The correct response was "room temperature" (it was a stand and stare), but I suddenly imagined that they couldn't really neg someone for saying "22 and 2/9 degrees Celsius" or some other direct conversion rather than the term for the temperature. I think the wording allows wiggle room for various alternative responses. For example, 22°C is lower than 72°F, but close enough to it to be rounded up, so one could argue that 22°C is indeed "sometimes given" as 72°F. If a contestant named any temperature from another scale that converted to at least 71.5°F and less than 72.5°F, I imagine they'd have to take it, since the melting point of gallium isn't so "slightly above" room temperature to preclude any of those numbers.

(I post here because it seemed better to bump a catch-all thread than a game thread from 2017.)
I'd be curious if there is a single other clue in the history of the show asking for a numerical unit conversion.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:37 am Austin Rogers game 9 reran this weekend.

CHEMISTRY, $400: Gallium turns to liquid slightly above this temperature sometimes given as 72 degrees Fahrenheit

The correct response was "room temperature" (it was a stand and stare), but I suddenly imagined that they couldn't really neg someone for saying "22 and 2/9 degrees Celsius" or some other direct conversion rather than the term for the temperature. I think the wording allows wiggle room for various alternative responses. For example, 22°C is lower than 72°F, but close enough to it to be rounded up, so one could argue that 22°C is indeed "sometimes given" as 72°F. If a contestant named any temperature from another scale that converted to at least 71.5°F and less than 72.5°F, I imagine they'd have to take it, since the melting point of gallium isn't so "slightly above" room temperature to preclude any of those numbers.

(I post here because it seemed better to bump a catch-all thread than a game thread from 2017.)
I'd be curious if there is a single other clue in the history of the show asking for a numerical unit conversion.
Maybe not Celsius to Fahrenheit but I don't think it's uncommon for them to ask something like how many feet in a mile or how many cups in a gallon, things along those lines. Is there a significant difference between these?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pmhow many feet in a mile or how many cups in a gallon, things along those lines. Is there a significant difference between these?
I think there is. Asking for number of one unit in another unit is a basis fact that is used in a unit conversion, but not really a unit conversion in itself. No on-the-spot multiplication or division necessary.

BTW, here's a game along the lines of what you're thinking of (CALCULATING THE MEASUREMENTS).
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_number=6240

And here's a game where they asked for feet in a mile (INFO PLEASE).
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3325

Here's a YOU DO THE MATH category:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=845

And here's a NUMBER, PLEASE category:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4349
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32 pm

There have been a few clues of a "We'll give you Celsius, you give us Fahrenheit" and vice versa, usually involving 100 and 212, 0 and 32, 37 and 98.6, and -40 and -40. But obviously those are trivia facts and no one responding correctly is doing any actual conversions.

But I also found a couple of clues asking for conversions that wouldn't be trivia (albeit with some handholding in the wording):
HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? $2,000: "To convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, multiply by 1.8 & add 32; if it's 50 Celsius, it's this Fahrenheit"
and NUMBER PLEASE $800: "If some wacky Canadian tells you it's 10 degrees Celsius, it's this round number Fahrenheit"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The NUMBER PLEASE one was a TS. On the HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? one, Charles got the rebound and won the Teachers Tournament with a lock.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Amid the other sad news going around this week, I just read that Tom Seaver (age 74) has been diagnosed with dementia. Having grown up in New York in the 1960's, I remember the 1969 Miracle Mets and the Apollo XI moon landing (from the summer when I was 7 years old) as news stories of approximately equal importance, even though I didn't start following baseball until 1973.

I suppose Father Time eventually has his way with all of us, but it still sucks.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:00 pm Amid the other sad news going around this week, I just read that Tom Seaver (age 74) has been diagnosed with dementia. Having grown up in New York in the 1960's, I remember the 1969 Miracle Mets and the Apollo XI moon landing (from the summer when I was 7 years old) as news stories of approximately equal importance, even though I didn't start following baseball until 1973.

I suppose Father Time eventually has his way with all of us, but it still sucks.
Crap again. If I had a boyhood sports hero, it was Seaver. Even if he was a righty and Koosman was a lefty. I still remember following that oh-so-close-to-a perfect game until Jimmy Qualls got that ^*%^$&! single.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Anyone on here in Atlanta? I'm in for a conference the next few days and would gladly meet up for a trivia night somewhere if there's one.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Here's a Kno'dgeball video with Ken and Brad going against Watson.

Douglas Squasoni
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

For the LLamas among us:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mick-mul ... 329e147a61
Kind of a mean-spirited article, really, as his lifetime average is over .400.
Hoping for a third lap
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

sarisson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:51 am For the LLamas among us:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mick-mul ... 329e147a61
Kind of a mean-spirited article, really, as his lifetime average is over .400.
I agree that this was a hit piece and it diminishes the credibility of huffpost. I will have to add another layer to the filter. One could easily write the story with the exact opposite spin about him advancing up the leagues and maybe mention that the players in LL aren't exactly your average joe blow. If Fox News viewers were to join, LL would have to invent some F, G, and H rundles. I think his policies and politics are repulsive, but the last thing we need is to mock the only example of intellectual curiosity in the administration.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TIL Cats doesn't perform Growltiger's Last Stand anymore. It's been replaced with The Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles (and the lyrics of Gus, the Theater Cat have also been changed accordingly)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Spoiler
There's a Nate Marks appearing on Friday. Same guy that made the finals in the first Sports Jeopardy season? It'll be fun to see him go up against James, if James lasts until then.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 am
Spoiler
There's a Nate Marks appearing on Friday. Same guy that made the finals in the first Sports Jeopardy season? It'll be fun to see him go up against James, if James lasts until then.
Yes, that's the same one.
Spoiler
I recognized him (and the name) as well immediately. If James is still the champ then that would be two guys who made over 50,000 in one game. The dollars by James is of course more meaningful than the points by Nate although Nate reached the score with fewer clues on the boards. Let's hope the writers throw in a sports category.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was once again reminded of a long ago denizen of these parts:

Diogenes.png
Diogenes.png (329.16 KiB) Viewed 4660 times
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 am
Spoiler
Spoiler
squinty glasses chick gets her go as well
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Blast from the past baseball alert: former Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano is attempting a comeback.

I’m genuinely interested to see how this goes. Carlos was a prototype of the “power pitcher who can hit better than many position players” template that’s becoming valuable in this age of expanded bullpens; he’s also the rare example of a player who washed out of the majors because he was an absolute head case. If he’s mellowed out a little with age, but still retains a lot of his old stuff, there’s a non-zero change he could make it all the way back.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

While watching Gone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_(TV_series)) episode 7 I spotted a familiar name in the credits.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2941 He plays a local sheriff.

When he was on J! I have a vague recollection of him doing an "all in" wager on a Daily Double and Alex not recognizing what that term meant.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 pm When he was on J! I have a vague recollection of him doing an "all in" wager on a Daily Double and Alex not recognizing what that term meant.
Alex seems to have a handle on it nowadays.