Friday, March 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, March 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:04 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:58 pm Yeah, no. The mango is Asian, and all place names ending in -abad are Asian (save for one Trinidadian city named after an Indian one).
I still think this clue requires far, FAR deeper knowledge than is normal for a $200 box. IMO poutine should've been $200.
Poutine certainly could have been $200, but other than that, again I say, "Yeah, no."
Mangoes could be from anywhere. I've certainly seen them in non-Asian cuisine. And still, I doubt 99.9% of the world could tell you what continent chutney is from, never mind the more specific words in the clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:14 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:58 pm Yeah, no. The mango is Asian, and all place names ending in -abad are Asian (save for one Trinidadian city named after an Indian one).
I still think this clue requires far, FAR deeper knowledge than is normal for a $200 box. IMO poutine should've been $200.
Poutine certainly could have been $200, but other than that, again I say, "Yeah, no."
Mangoes could be from anywhere. I've certainly seen them in non-Asian cuisine. And still, I doubt 99.9% of the world could tell you what continent chutney is from, never mind the more specific words in the clue.
There's millions of continents it could be!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:14 pm
Since India has 17% of the world's population, that seems unlikely... :P
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:32 pm There's millions of continents it could be!
It's a 1 in 6 at best since i think even I can rule out Antarctica. 17% is NOT good odds for the top box.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:49 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:32 pm There's millions of continents it could be!
It's a 1 in 6 at best since i think even I can rule out Antarctica. 17% is NOT good odds for the top box.
The odds really go down when you realize there may never have been an Indian citizen on the show...I wonder how well they'd do with the poutine clue??... :lol: :lol: :lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:49 pm
Please. It's simple to rationally narrow it down to Africa and Asia, and they frequently have Cambridge/Oxford coinflips in the top row.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:35 pm Please. It's simple to rationally narrow it down to Africa and Asia,
How so?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:37 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:35 pm Please. It's simple to rationally narrow it down to Africa and Asia,
How so?
Surely a $200 clue about North American, South American, European, or Australian food would name something or someplace familiar. For you especially, if it purports to be of a particular continent and you've never heard of it and can't make linguistic heads or tails of the words, it's gotta be African or Asian.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Anyone do the NYT crossword? One of the answers in the Jeopardy round was a prominent part of the puzzle this past Sunday. I love serendipity.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:40 pm
How so?
Surely a $200 clue about North American, South American, European, or Australian food would name something or someplace familiar. For you especially, if it purports to be of a particular continent and you've never heard of it and can't make linguistic heads or tails of the words, it's gotta be African or Asian.
That's the kind of abstract thinking that should by no means ever be in the top box. Or really in any clue
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 pm
How so?
That's the kind of abstract thinking that should by no means ever be in the top box. Or really in any clue
Chutney is India and India is Asia. That's it and no more. It's past time to move on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 pm
How so?
Well, I already told you that the foods and the place name in the clue were Indian and you threw those back at me. Forgive me for getting abstract, child in Louis C.K.'s "Why?" bit.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results" ...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:30 am Well, actually there are two versions up at Gutenberg. In
THE ADVENTURES OF PINOCCHIO
, by C. Collodi (pseudonym of Carlo Lorenzini), translated from the Italian by Carol Della Chiesa, it's "And how happy I am, now that I have become a real boy!”, while at Pinocchio: The Tale of a Puppet by Carlo Collodi (no translator mentioned), it's "And how glad I am that I have become a well-behaved little boy!"

But even if you buy talking crickets, noses that grow after a lie (never mind that, they apparently do), and marionettes come to life, can you really believe a marionette whose dream is to be "a well-behaved little boy"?
I'm surprised no one's pulled out the original Italian by now to ...well, fan the flames, really. Like it'd clear anything up... :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Archivists wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:50 am MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST $400: Poutine with home fries at the Old King Bistro in Kitchener
(Alex: It's in Canada.)
News coverage (apparently the Old King Bistro attracted five new customers as a result of this clue):
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1652181
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:40 pm
Lefty wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:30 am Well, actually there are two versions up at Gutenberg. In
THE ADVENTURES OF PINOCCHIO
, by C. Collodi (pseudonym of Carlo Lorenzini), translated from the Italian by Carol Della Chiesa, it's "And how happy I am, now that I have become a real boy!”, while at Pinocchio: The Tale of a Puppet by Carlo Collodi (no translator mentioned), it's "And how glad I am that I have become a well-behaved little boy!"

But even if you buy talking crickets, noses that grow after a lie (never mind that, they apparently do), and marionettes come to life, can you really believe a marionette whose dream is to be "a well-behaved little boy"?
I'm surprised no one's pulled out the original Italian by now to ...well, fan the flames, really. Like it'd clear anything up... :lol:
It's easy enough to do-
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52484
Google translates "un ragazzino perbene" as "a decent boy."
The category "Children's Literature in Translation" would have boosted the get rate on this one....
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:46 am
Volante wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:40 pm I'm surprised no one's pulled out the original Italian by now to ...well, fan the flames, really. Like it'd clear anything up... :lol:
It's easy enough to do-
The category "Children's Literature in Translation" would have boosted the get rate on this one....
The Italian term has a double meaning. As this article puts it: 'With the assistance of a Blue Fairy, he is finally redeemed in the last two episodes. Through hard work in a puppet theatre, he is able to save his foster father from pauperdom by paying him 40 gold coins. He has become "un ragazzino per bene", which translates as both a good boy and a real boy.'

Also see the translator's note here, explaining the choice of a proper boy "to convey something of the double meaning of the original. Pinocchio means that he is glad to be both a real boy and a good boy."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Mathew5000 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:20 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:40 pm I'm surprised no one's pulled out the original Italian by now to ...well, fan the flames, really. Like it'd clear anything up... :lol:
It's easy enough to do-
The Italian term has a double meaning. As this article puts it: 'With the assistance of a Blue Fairy, he is finally redeemed in the last two episodes. Through hard work in a puppet theatre, he is able to save his foster father from pauperdom by paying him 40 gold coins. He has become "un ragazzino per bene", which translates as both a good boy and a real boy.'

Also see the translator's note here, explaining the choice of a proper boy "to convey something of the double meaning of the original. Pinocchio means that he is glad to be both a real boy and a good boy."
I like that one: "a proper boy!" They should have used that translation.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm
Mathew5000 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:20 pm
It's easy enough to do-

I like that one: "a proper boy!" They should have used that translation.
I agree. I saw another website where someone mulling the meaning thought that "proper" was too British, Americans wouldn't get it, but it seems perfect to me.