Tuesday, April 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7962, 2019-04-02

Steven Grade game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Anika Gregg, an operations manager from Belmont, Massachusetts
Erich Johnson, a musician and grad student from Brooklyn, New York
Steven Grade, a sports industry consultant from Atlanta, Georgia (whose 4-day cash winnings total $88,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. You noticed Steven doing this for four?

[Alex holds up four fingers, imitating Steven's gesture during the contestant introductions.]

Alex: He reminded me of Buzzy Cohen for some reason. Erich and Anika, good to have you with us today, and good luck to all three of you as we put you to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. You're looking for that one Daily Double in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHARING THE ISLAND (4/5)
GAMES WITH DICE (4/5)
BESTSELLERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EMMY WINNERS FOR BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA (4/5)
DRINKS ALL AROUND! (4/5)
7-LETTER WORDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steven: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Anika: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Erich: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anika found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Steven had $1,200, Erich was in the red with -$1,000, and Anika was at $3,200. Anika wagered $1,000.

BESTSELLERS $1000: This memoir recounts what Elizabeth Gilbert did in Italy, India & Indonesia, respectively

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Anika: $4,400
Steven: $2,200
Erich: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Anika Gregg is from Belmont, Massachusetts, and like one of our Clue Crew members, Kelly Miyahara, you have competed in triathlons. Tell us about that.

Anika: I have. I've done the same triathlon 4 times.

Alex: Where?

Anika: It's a women's-only race in Massachusetts. I'm doing it again this year. It'll be in September. And looking forward, I haven't really gotten into the swimming yet. It's been kinda cold to get in the water and get home and you're wet.

Alex: But in September, it should be--

Anika: September it'll be beautiful. But yeah.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Erich Johnson is from Brooklyn, New York. He's a musician, a grad student, who many many years ago was referred to by his teacher as Mr. Jeopardy!?

Erich: Yeah.

Alex: Why?

Erich: In seventh grade history class, my world history teacher used to give us a series of trivia clues just to test our mettle at the end of every class. And I was the most enthusiastic responder.

Alex: And did you have to respond in the form of a question?

Erich: No, that's the thing. He gave us--he was easy on us.

Alex: Oh, all right. Does that mean I'm tough on you? No.

Erich: So far.

Alex: Steven Grade is our champion. He's from Georgia. There are Super Bowl parties, and there are Oscar night parties. You're into sports, and yet you host an annual Oscar party. Why is that?

Steven: I do. My wife, Kristin, actually started it a couple years before we met, and we've continued it since we've gotten married. But we have friends over. We watch the show, and then she and I cook dishes based on each of the films that are nominated for Best Picture.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EMMY WINNERS FOR BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA $1000: Cue the slo-mo, she was the title bionic woman Jaime Sommers & the 1977 winner
(Erich: Who is Lynda Carter?)

GAMES WITH DICE $1000: Hasbro sells a retro 1986 edition of this game with its iconic dome-shaped Pop-O-Matic die roller

DRINKS ALL AROUND! $1000: If you fancy a dry Rob Roy, this is the main potent potable in the glass

SHARING THE ISLAND $600: The resort island of Usedom, near the mouth of the River Oder:
Poland & this country
(Steven: What is Russia?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Anika: $6,000
Steven: $5,800
Erich: $800
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE MIDDLE AGES (4/5)
THE OLYMPICS (5/5)
BOTANICAL GARDENS (4/5)
BIBLE PASSAGES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHAT KIND OF FUEL? (5/5)
"MI" (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steven: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Erich: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Anika: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Steven snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Steven had $13,000, Erich had $4,800, and Anika was at $10,000. Steven wagered $3,000.

BIBLE PASSAGES $1200: Saul is on the road to this city when a heavenly light knocks him off his feet

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Steven who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Steven had $19,600, Erich had $4,800, and Anika was at $10,000. Steven wagered $3,600.

"MI" $1600: 6-letter cloud of unpleasant vapor
(Steven: What is a... word that is not coming to me.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MIDDLE AGES $1600: Helping us balance our checkbooks, Leonardo of Pisa introduced this, sifr in Arabic, to Western math in 1202

"MI" $1200: It's a Spanish-named drink of beer, lime juice & other seasonings

BOTANICAL GARDENS $2000: The Millennium Seed Bank in this British garden has representatives of more than 10% of all seed-bearing wild plants

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Steven: $16,800
Anika: $13,600
Erich: $9,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSIC LEGENDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Steven: Wager $10,401 to cover Anika.
Anika: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Erich, hoping that you give the correct response and Steven doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $5,601 to cover Erich's doubled score, but no more than $7,200 if you want to top Steven on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,999 and win if both Steven and Erich miss Final.
Erich: Think about risking $3,200 or less, thereby beating Steven on the Triple Stumper (should Steven wager to cover Anika's doubled score). If you also want to beat Anika on the Triple Stumper, should Anika choose to attempt to cover your doubled score, then wager $1,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 “monarchs” of popular culture both passed away on August 16, one in 2018, the other 41 years earlier

FINAL SCORES
Erich: $9,600 - $9,600 = $0 (Who are) (3rd place: $1,000)
Anika: $13,600 - $5,601 = $7,999 (Who are B.B. King + Elvis Presley?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Steven: $16,800 + $10,401 = $27,201 (Who are Elvis Presley + Franklin) (5-day champion: $115,501)
(Alex: [To Steven] The Queen of Soul and the King of Rock and Roll.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Steven: $18,600, 24 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Anika: $13,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Erich: $9,600, 10 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $41,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Steven: 25/60 = .417
Anika: 18/59 = .305
Erich: 10/58 = .172
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GAMES WITH DICE $200: This game played on a board with 24 spear-shaped points utilizes dice & often a doubling cube
(Anika: What is dominoes?)

GAMES WITH DICE $800: Seen here are tiles & dice for this game

DRINKS ALL AROUND! $800: To make a dirty martini, add this type of brine or juice

7-LETTER WORDS $600: Many an old westerner packed his pistol in the Mexican loop style of this
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

THE OLYMPICS $400: The first official Olympic mascot was Waldi, one of these low-to-the-ground dogs, at the 1972 games in Munich
(Steven: What is a wiener dog...wienermauer?)

"MI" $2000: Glauconite & muscovite are types of this rock-forming mineral

BOTANICAL GARDENS $1600: This country's Jardim Botânico on Madeira is quite colorful
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Eat, Pray, Love
Lindsay Wagner
Trouble
scotch
Germany
Damascus
miasma
the zero
a Michelada
Kew Gardens
Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin
backgammon
mah-jongg
olive
a holster
a dachshund
mica
Portugal
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSIC LEGENDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 “monarchs” of popular culture both passed away on August 16, one in 2018, the other 41 years earlier

Steven Grade: 16800+10401=27201 (5x = $115,501)
Erich Johnson: 9600-9600=0
Anika Gregg: 13600-5601=7999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Aretha Franklin & Elvis Presley (Erich – Who are) (Anika – B.B. King & Elvis Presley)

Daily Doubles
Anika: 3200+1000
Steven: 13000+3000
Steven: 19600-3600

Coryats
Steven: 18600
Erich: 9600
Anika: 13600

Combined: 41,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Steven: 5800
Erich: 800
Anika: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Erich got his act together by the end of the DJ! round although I had him long gone with the trap door sprung early when he had Lynda Carter as The Bionic Woman. [cue Wilhelm scream]

Another sad stumper was no one knowing the game with the Pop-O-Matic. :cry:

The FJ! clue had me needing the math approach for the solve as the monarch recall method did not work. Looking for a "King" who died in 2018 was a fail. I then did the math to get 1977 for the earlier death. That was Pavlov for the king portion. From there thinking queen who died last year was the happy moment of knowing I had the clue right. All that was left was the writing. I had enough time to do full names.

Steven's response was a little strange in crossing off the king's first name while going last name only for the queen. Great for him that he had time to work it out as even with both last names only it was more work than usual with the light pen if time was an issue.

And the 4-timer curse is over with whatever Alan Dunn did to the stage on his way out in the summer having now evaporated.

Where the tracker stands:
Spoiler
May 2019 teacher
College Dhruv
7x : Ryan, Josh & Kyle
6x: Rob
5x: Alan, Steven, Gilbert, Rachel
#11 Eric
#12 Anneke
#13 Lindsey
#14 Dave
#15 Jonathan
Alternate: Alex
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I initiatially had Prince and Elvis, but realized Prince died in 2016 after I remembered where I was working when I found out. This gave me enough time to replace him with the correct answer.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 pm I initiatially had Prince and Elvis, but realized Prince died in 2016 after I remembered where I was working when I found out. This gave me enough time to replace him with the correct answer.
I ultimately did go with Prince and Elvis, thinking it seemed pretty easy. I never did get away from Prince. I thought he just died, but no, apparently been gone longer than I realized :oops:.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

A 5 day champ!!! I had forgotten what it was like. Welcome to the TOC, Steven. Solid and workmanlike.

Started with Prince, slapped myself for how wrong it was, did the math to get the King, then came back around for the Queen.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Congrats Steven, welcome to the ToC! It's been a pleasure watching him play thus far.

Did the math first to get 1977 -> Elvis, then realized King of Rock and Roll, the other must be Queen of something --> pulled Franklin. Cut it close, but a get's a get.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

WHAT KIND OF FUEL $800: NASA’s giant Saturn V rocket was powered by more than 700,000 gallons of hydrogen & oxygen in this state

An unfortunate poster on Reddit shared a miss of Florida. Good thing I never have a drink near my keyboard.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

They weren't music legends, but the Sultan of Swat (Babe Ruth, in 1948) and Count Dracula (Bela Lugosi, in 1956) also passed away on Aug. 16.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I wonder if first names only would have been sufficient for FJ
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:20 pm WHAT KIND OF FUEL $800: NASA’s giant Saturn V rocket was powered by more than 700,000 gallons of hydrogen & oxygen in this state

An unfortunate poster on Reddit shared a miss of Florida. Good thing I never have a drink near my keyboard.
I thought "Florida" at first, but then remembered the category.
Vowela wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:30 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 pm I initiatially had Prince and Elvis, but realized Prince died in 2016 after I remembered where I was working when I found out. This gave me enough time to replace him with the correct answer.
I ultimately did go with Prince and Elvis, thinking it seemed pretty easy. I never did get away from Prince. I thought he just died, but no, apparently been gone longer than I realized :oops:.
Wouldn't really fit the clue, either. Princes are not generally called monarchs.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

I said Nat King Cole and B.B. King and felt pretty confident with my answer. Apparently a little too confident.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I knew Anika from college. I once dumped a girlfriend in anticipation of Anika but instead wound up with a new long-term girlfriend. Life was simpler then.

Erich's rebound at the end was impressive but it was too little too late, and it forced him to make the all-in bet for FJ.

I got Elvis right away from the date and then picked the right queen who died in 2018. I never even considered Prince, not considering him to be a monarch. Anyway, I knew he died in April 2016.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say I've heard of "Damages" before. Literally nothing in that Emmy category rang even the faintest of bells.

Why was "weiner dog" not accepted or overturned for "dachshund"? They're the same damn thing.

Ran the Bible category. They played it pretty easy there, what with Jonah at $2,000.

Surprisingly, $2,000 was my only get in the Fuel category.

I had Elvis down right away, but had no idea who to match with him. Aretha Franklin being 1.) the "Queen of Soul" and 2.) no longer alive were two pieces of information that were not in my head at all. Even when Steven had "Franklin" down, I said out loud, "Wait, what the hell singer is named Franklin, and how could they be 'royalty'?!"

Lach Trash: zero. Also got the "miasma" DD.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:20 pm WHAT KIND OF FUEL $800: NASA’s giant Saturn V rocket was powered by more than 700,000 gallons of hydrogen & oxygen in this state

How is that a laughable miss? And how should I know what state this occurred in?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Nightmare FJ category for me, but after settling on Aretha, Elvis made the most sense, without actually knowing the year he died

Got Trouble and Lindsay Wagner, clues that are very unlikely to appear when I finally make the show

TPTB have not heeded my exhortation to spin off Bible Jeopardy!

Epic fail: Rob Roy (gin)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:54 pm Why was "weiner dog" not accepted or overturned for "dachshund"? They're the same damn thing.
They may have, but then he changed his answer to a Weimaraner (at least, that's what it sounded like he was trying to say).
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

I said Nat King Cole and Prince. I was sure they were going for actually royal names. :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:54 pm Why was "weiner dog" not accepted or overturned for "dachshund"? They're the same damn thing.
They may have, but then he changed his answer to a Weimaraner (at least, that's what it sounded like he was trying to say).
The way Alex paused, it was like he was about to give either a "no" or a BMS. There should not have been hesitation on that at all, and i think that hesitation caused him to flip it to "Weimaraner". Not like it mattered, but it felt kinda dodgy.