Tuesday, April 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

pre-called franklin...instaget final...i do believe something similar to that clue was part of a td in recent months or maybe it was at alpaca...wish they would have used robert johnson instead of elvis...might have been a triple stumper..he fit the royalty part of the clue as he was considered "the king of the delta blues"
Last edited by CasketRomance on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 am Erich got his act together by the end of the DJ! round although I had him long gone with the trap door sprung early when he had Lynda Carter as The Bionic Woman. [cue Wilhelm scream]

Another sad stumper was no one knowing the game with the Pop-O-Matic. :cry:

The FJ! clue had me needing the math approach for the solve as the monarch recall method did not work. Looking for a "King" who died in 2018 was a fail. I then did the math to get 1977 for the earlier death. That was Pavlov for the king portion. From there thinking queen who died last year was the happy moment of knowing I had the clue right. All that was left was the writing. I had enough time to do full names.

Steven's response was a little strange in crossing off the king's first name while going last name only for the queen. Great for him that he had time to work it out as even with both last names only it was more work than usual with the light pen if time was an issue.

And the 4-timer curse is over with whatever Alan Dunn did to the stage on his way out in the summer having now evaporated.

Where the tracker stands:
Spoiler
May 2019 teacher
College Dhruv
7x : Ryan, Josh & Kyle
6x: Rob
5x: Alan, Steven, Gilbert, Rachel
#11 Eric
#12 Anneke
#13 Lindsey
#14 Dave
#15 Jonathan
Alternate: Alex
yeah i don't get it either...the 2 dudes seem to be on the younger side, so perhaps that game was popular when they were growing up...but that lady is old, so not sure how she missed it
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

At last we have a Roman Centurion on the tracker! Great game, steady comeback, and smart betting. You can win by winning, and also win by not losing. This was a win. Sorry for Anneka - she was a good player.

I always overlook some detail, but yeah, what was wrong with the wiener dog? But we got a chuckle out of the wieneramen or whatever he said (CC had it at wienermara I think). Definitely wasn't wiemaraner.

Until reading the board, I didn't realize all the possible diversions and misdirections in the FJ clue. I got to Elvis quickly (just generally knew I was a young adult 41 years ago), so I didn't get hung up on real names. From the King of Rock and Roll, I tried to go to Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, but too long ago. Then to Prince, but not because of the name itself. Switching to Queen, there is only one Queen of Soul, but I thought she was still alive. Couldn't work with Whitney, so Aretha it is. I'd rather be wrong, but appreciate that the J! writers reminded us of her.

Be very afraid - twelvefootboy may be getting image embedding technology :evil:

Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Fleeboy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:22 pm They weren't music legends, but the Sultan of Swat (Babe Ruth, in 1948) and Count Dracula (Bela Lugosi, in 1956) also passed away on Aug. 16.
robert johnson as well

but not music legends? not sure how you can honestly say they arent
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 pm I wonder if first names only would have been sufficient for FJ
elvis for sure...doubtful for franklin
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 pm I knew Anika from college. I once dumped a girlfriend in anticipation of Anika but instead wound up with a new long-term girlfriend. Life was simpler then.

Erich's rebound at the end was impressive but it was too little too late, and it forced him to make the all-in bet for FJ.

I got Elvis right away from the date and then picked the right queen who died in 2018. I never even considered Prince, not considering him to be a monarch. Anyway, I knew he died in April 2016.
never got to play the game "trouble" with her either, huh?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:54 pm Can't say I've heard of "Damages" before. Literally nothing in that Emmy category rang even the faintest of bells.

Why was "weiner dog" not accepted or overturned for "dachshund"? They're the same damn thing.

Ran the Bible category. They played it pretty easy there, what with Jonah at $2,000.

Surprisingly, $2,000 was my only get in the Fuel category.

I had Elvis down right away, but had no idea who to match with him. Aretha Franklin being 1.) the "Queen of Soul" and 2.) no longer alive were two pieces of information that were not in my head at all. Even when Steven had "Franklin" down, I said out loud, "Wait, what the hell singer is named Franklin, and how could they be 'royalty'?!"

Lach Trash: zero. Also got the "miasma" DD.

crappy show...watched one episode while i was living in south korea...nothing else on tv other than the same old action movies being aired over and over...wasn't impressed...

i was wondering the same thing in regards to wiener dog
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:54 pm Why was "weiner dog" not accepted or overturned for "dachshund"? They're the same damn thing.
They may have, but then he changed his answer to a Weimaraner (at least, that's what it sounded like he was trying to say).
The way Alex paused, it was like he was about to give either a "no" or a BMS. There should not have been hesitation on that at all, and i think that hesitation caused him to flip it to "Weimaraner". Not like it mattered, but it felt kinda dodgy.
totally agree...trebek effed him by doing that crap
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,000
49 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Trouble, scotch, zero, michelada, miasma (DD)

I missed the flashing light on this FJ! The fact that they said "monarchs" rather than "kings" more or less guaranteed that one of the two would be a "queen." Not noticing that, I matched Anika's answer of Elvis and B.B. King.

I also blanked on Lindsay Wagner's name.

"What two countries make up Hispaniola?" is not worthy of the bottom row.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Got to Elvis fast but racked my brain trying to think of a musical monarch who died in 2018. Has I recalled B.B. King, I would have gone with him. I agree about the valuation of Hispaniola. I was expecting Borneo for the bottom row clue. Did anyone else get a young Jimmy Smits vibe from Erich?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:51 pm Coryat: 42,000
49 R/1 W
FJ: :(
LT: Trouble, scotch, zero, michelada, miasma (DD)

I missed the flashing light on this FJ! The fact that they said "monarchs" rather than "kings" more or less guaranteed that one of the two would be a "queen." Not noticing that, I matched Anika's answer of Elvis and B.B. King.

I also blanked on Lindsay Wagner's name.

"What two countries make up Hispaniola?" is not worthy of the bottom row.
for sure...way over valued ...figured that was going to be a clue, but figured it would have been top box
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Got Elvis quickly (I now easily know that he died in 1977), and had to think for a bit about the other. Aretha came to me in the end. So I got it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 pm Erich's rebound at the end was impressive but it was too little too late, and it forced him to make the all-in bet for FJ.
It did?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:04 am
floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 pm Erich's rebound at the end was impressive but it was too little too late, and it forced him to make the all-in bet for FJ.
It did?
[Narrator voice] It didn't.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Another click in the Elvis-Prince column here.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:24 pm
Woppy T wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 pm I wonder if first names only would have been sufficient for FJ
elvis for sure...doubtful for franklin
I wondered this as well - and of course we'll never know - but I do think an answer of "Elvis and Aretha" would have been accepted. (I think of them as equally iconic musical first names)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 pm I initiatially had Prince and Elvis, but realized Prince died in 2016 after I remembered where I was working when I found out. This gave me enough time to replace him with the correct answer.

Good to know someone went down the same rabbit hole I did. I was so dreading this category when it was introduced, and I was so pleased with myself that I came up with a plausible answer, that I never second-guessed myself. So my answer stood: Elvis and Prince. For me in this category being off by two years is a pretty good miss.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Yeah, Steven looks like the real deal. Many congrats for topping $100K, becoming a 5X champ, and pretty much solidifying a ToC berth.

LT: zero (in Arabic numbers), Kew Garden, and Germany (border with Poland, not my father's birthplace).
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Elvis (easy), Michael Jackson (died much earlier), Prince

Probably would have eventually stumbled onto Franklin but not in 30 seconds.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed A Simple Favor, Mickey, Michelada, and Peat.)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lindsay Wagner, Trouble, Scotch, Germany, Zero, (Miasma), Kew Gardens

Thank you Common Knowledge for dirty martini. :D
Douglas Squasoni