The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:05 am TPH, dont you work at a church?
I do, but there are lots of Bible stories that we have never touched on.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

SET IN THE CITY $200: NBC runs the three shows as a block on Wednesdays. There was no TOM. J! players whether they watch the shows or not may have noticed the city connection for the shows.

Trek fits fine in the I'M WALKIN' HERE category as it's a journey on foot. The clue was top box and sci-fi so odds are right there it's going to be about Star Trek. Fans are Trekkies or Trekkers. Don't ask me the difference as I don't care.

The previous use of the FJ! quote: #7730, aired 2018-03-30 HISTORIC FILL IN THE QUOTE $200: Douglas MacArthur, March 20, 1942: "I shall ____"

Don't worry you'll have another chance to have never heard of it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

SET IN THE CITY $200: NBC runs the three shows as a block on Wednesdays. There was no TOM. J! players whether they watch the shows or not may have noticed the city connection for the shows.
I don't think I've watched so much as a second of NBC since I was 10, so these shows are utterly unfamiliar to me. And with uber-generic titles like that, I'll probably forget them again 2 hours from now.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm Trek fits fine in the I'M WALKIN' HERE category as it's a journey on foot. The clue was top box and sci-fi so odds are right there it's going to be about Star Trek. Fans are Trekkies or Trekkers. Don't ask me the difference as I don't care.
The problem was that I saw "fans of a show who are called ___ers", which combined with the "walk" category, sidetracked me because I know that fans of The Walking Dead are called "Walkers". But with "walk" in the category name, and The Walking Dead not being a sci-fi show, I froze up. Just another classic case of me starting in the wrong direction, and only going further off course until I can't see the correct response with the Hubble Telescope.

Is this kind of wrong-direction thinking just something I should learn to live with? I seem to do it an awful lot.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 pm The problem was that I saw "fans of a show who are called ___ers", which combined with the "walk" category, sidetracked me because I know that fans of The Walking Dead are called "Walkers".
The clue said "this word plus -kers & also -kies," so you would have had to think they were called "Walkkers." I don't know if you were acknowledging that you made a mistake in reading the clue or just talking about getting sidetracked with your immediate instinct.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 pm The problem was that I saw "fans of a show who are called ___ers", which combined with the "walk" category, sidetracked me because I know that fans of The Walking Dead are called "Walkers".
The clue said "this word plus -kers & also -kies," so you would have had to think they were called "Walkkers." I don't know if you were acknowledging that you made a mistake in reading the clue or just talking about getting sidetracked with your immediate instinct.
Are fans of The Walking Dead called Walkers?? It'd be like fans of Star Trek calling themselves Klingons or the Borg...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 am
A little of both, actually.

Again, is this something I should just note as a brain glitch?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm Trek fits fine in the I'M WALKIN' HERE category as it's a journey on foot. The clue was top box and sci-fi so odds are right there it's going to be about Star Trek. Fans are Trekkies or Trekkers. Don't ask me the difference as I don't care.
The problem was that I saw "fans of a show who are called ___ers", which combined with the "walk" category, sidetracked me because I know that fans of The Walking Dead are called "Walkers". But with "walk" in the category name, and The Walking Dead not being a sci-fi show, I froze up. Just another classic case of me starting in the wrong direction, and only going further off course until I can't see the correct response with the Hubble Telescope.

Is this kind of wrong-direction thinking just something I should learn to live with? I seem to do it an awful lot.
Honestly, I don't think this is totally horrible logic. At least it's better than not knowing anything and then just giving up. If you don't know anything about Star Trek, then you weren't getting to the right answer anyways. Keep trying.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 pm

Honestly, I don't think this is totally horrible logic. At least it's better than not knowing anything and then just giving up. If you don't know anything about Star Trek, then you weren't getting to the right answer anyways. Keep trying.
The thing is, I do know that both Trekkers and Trekkies are terms for Star Trek fans. I had the knowledge to solve this clue, but it got lost in the shuffle.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How does this name work for you? Lori Lightfoot. She has been elected as the new mayor of Chicago.

Someone else can have the honors of adding it to the 2019 current events thread if it is worth including.
TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, April 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So how is it that I landed on Berlin and still couldn't shorten it to Bern? Am I just an idiot?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, April 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:00 pm So how is it that I landed on Berlin and still couldn't shorten it to Bern? Am I just an idiot?
If you went ahead and made that your response, I won't fault you for not finding the right two letters to remove.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So that clue about having 30 corgis... what tipoff did I miss that pinned that to QE2?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:05 pm So that clue about having 30 corgis... what tipoff did I miss that pinned that to QE2?
she is well known for having corgis
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Only 2 clues and so long ago does not seem right though that is what I found:

#6241, aired 2011-11-07 PLANET OF THE CORGIS $600: Here's our friend the corgi taking this future world leader for a walk in Hyde Park around 1940
#3024, aired 1997-10-23 GONE TO THE DOGS $1000: You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, but in 1991 one of these pets bit Queen Elizabeth II

It's been a match for many decades. J! people will (or should) know it.

Anything with British royalty is usually a Hammerhouse.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:34 pm Only 2 clues and so long ago does not seem right though that is what I found:

#6241, aired 2011-11-07 PLANET OF THE CORGIS $600: Here's our friend the corgi taking this future world leader for a walk in Hyde Park around 1940
#3024, aired 1997-10-23 GONE TO THE DOGS $1000: You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, but in 1991 one of these pets bit Queen Elizabeth II

It's been a match for many decades. J! people will (or should) know it.

Anything with British royalty is usually a Hammerhouse.
More recently there was a Current Events post about her last corgi dying.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4492&p=279016#p279016
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:05 pm So that clue about having 30 corgis... what tipoff did I miss that pinned that to QE2?
The clue was written in the present-perfect tense, implying the person is still alive. The current Queen of England is Queen Elizabeth II. YOK (You Oughta Know) the names of current monarchs, and that corgis are the dogs of the British royalty
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:38 pm
The clue was written in the present-perfect tense, implying the person is still alive.
And how many queens are currently ruling? I counted at least 13.
The current Queen of England is Queen Elizabeth II. YOK (You Oughta Know) the names of current monarchs, and that corgis are the dogs of the British royalty
I know that QEII is still ruling. But corgi = British royalty seems like a very obtuse connection for the top box.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 pm
The clue was written in the present-perfect tense, implying the person is still alive.
The current Queen of England is Queen Elizabeth II. YOK (You Oughta Know) the names of current monarchs, and that corgis are the dogs of the British royalty
I know that QEII is still ruling. But corgi = British royalty seems like a very obtuse connection for the top box.
he should have stipulated current british monarch....the others aren't really shoved down our throats by the media and general academia
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 pm

maybe this will help with your retention of the british queen and the corgis

https://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/dog-knowledge
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

The first few minutes of this video from the Olympics in London might help you remember the connection between QE2 and corgis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AS-dCdYZbo