Wednesday, April 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7963, 2019-04-03

Steven Grade game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Alex Koral, a regulatory research counsel from Boulder, Colorado
Rose Curtin, an editor and yarn shop clerk from Newport, Kentucky
Steven Grade, a sports industry consultant from Atlanta, Georgia (whose 5-day cash winnings total $115,501)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. What can I tell you, folks, about our current champion, Steven Grade? He just keeps winning. He finds a way to do that. So Alex and Rose, you've gotta perform at your very best today, but good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories, shall we? Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SWEET SCIENCE OF BOXING (5/5)
____ OF ____ (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A VERY VERSATILE TOOL WORD (5/5)
DUMPLINGS BY ANY OTHER NAME (4/5)
HABITATS (5/5)
FOR HUMANITY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 14 R, 0 W
Steven: 8 R, 0 W
Rose: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rose found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Steven had no money, Rose had $400, and Alex was at $400. Rose wagered $1,000.

____ OF ____ $600: For the last 900 years, British coronations have taken place at Westminster Abbey, conducted by this person

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alex: $3,000
Rose: $2,600
Steven: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: Alex Koral is from Boulder, Colorado. Alex, one of the things we pride ourselves about on Jeopardy! is the fact that we have material for all our ages. And when you were, I believe, in first grade, you came up with a correct response that a contestant missed, correct?

Alex Koral: Yeah, yeah. I was a, you know, precocious young child who's always liked Jeopardy! and pretending like I knew everything. But there was one day when I actually did get it, when nobody else on the--no contestant did, and tried to brag about it the next day to my teacher. But I don't think that he really cared as much as I did, so. Point of pride for me, at least.

Alex Trebek: Wasn't too impressed by this first grader.

Alex Koral: Well, I thought it was impressive, but...

Alex Trebek: Yeah, you did. Sure.

Alex: Rose Curtin is from Newport, Kentucky. Grew up in a home without a television set?

Rose: I did, yes. My three brothers and I.

Alex: But yet you got to be a Jeopardy! fan.

Rose: I did. My paternal grandmother in Buffalo, we would visit, and she would watch every night. And she would get a lot of the questions right. Even with her memory not there anymore, I suspect she could still hold her own. So I was inspired.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Steven Grade is our champion. He's a big Lord of the Rings fan, right?

Steven: Very, very big. I attend a yearly marathon of all three Hobbit movies and all three Lord of the Rings moves that some friends of mine throw.

Alex: Well, there's eight hours.

Steven: Well, it's 22 hours, actually.

Alex: What?

[Laughter]

Steven: 22 hours, no sleeping allowed. And at the end of it we hold a trivia contest for the coveted Golden Dragon trophy.

Alex: Have you won it?

Steven: Not only did I win it, but I used it as the cake topper on my wedding cake.

Alex: That is a Lord of the Rings fan.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DUMPLINGS BY ANY OTHER NAME $800: Knaidlach are matzo balls & these similarly named items are Jewish noodle dumplings

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alex: $7,200
Steven: $5,600
Rose: $4,800
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU (4/5)
CITIES ON THE MISSISSIPPI (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OLD TIMES (5/5)
THE SHARED NICKNAME (5/5)
QUOTES FROM SHAKESPEARE (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"AD"-JECTIVES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Rose: 8 R, 2 W
Steven: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Steven snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Steven had $10,400, Rose had $9,200, and Alex was at $7,200. Steven wagered $3,800.

QUOTES FROM SHAKESPEARE $1600: King Lear complained, "How sharper than" this "it is to have a thankless child"
(Steven: What is a dagger?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alex who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Steven had $5,000, Rose had $8,400, and Alex was at $6,000. Alex wagered $2,500.

CITIES ON THE MISSISSIPPI $1200: It's the northernmost state capital on the Mississippi

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
QUOTES FROM SHAKESPEARE $2000: He ends "Macbeth" by saying, "So thanks to all at once and to each one, whom we invite to see us crowned at Scone"
(Alex Koral: Who is Duncan?)
(Steven: Who is Macduff?)

CITIES ON THE MISSISSIPPI $2000: John Deere plowed into this Illinois city, setting up shop in 1848 & it remains the world headquarters

MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU $800: The line for Schwartz's Deli in this Canadian city may be long, but the smoked meat is worth it

QUOTES FROM SHAKESPEARE $800: In "Richard III", "Now is" this 5-word season "made glorious summer by this sun of York"
(Alex Koral: What is a winter of our discontent?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before Final Jeopardy!]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alex: $18,900
Rose: $12,800
Steven: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Alex: Wager $6,701 to cover Rose, but no more than $8,099 so as not to fall behind Steven's doubled score.
Rose: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $600 (martian), and you'll win the game if Alex wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Steven: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the name of the world capital it serves, DEL is the 3-letter code for the Asian airport named for her

FINAL SCORES
Steven: $5,400 - $5,399 = $1 (Who is ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rose: $12,800 + $12,799 = $25,599 (Who is Indira Gandhi?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alex: $18,900 + $7,100 = $26,000 (Who is Indira Gandhi?) (New champion: $26,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alex: $17,600, 25 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Rose: $12,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Steven: $9,200, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $39,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Alex: 26/59 = .441
Rose: 16/59 = .271
Steven: 14/59 = .237
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DUMPLINGS BY ANY OTHER NAME $1000: These dumplings, the Japanese equivalent of potstickers, start with the letter "G" & end up in a dipping sauce--& my mouth

CITIES ON THE MISSISSIPPI $800: The Mark Twain Memorial Bridge connects this Missouri town where Twain grew up with the state of Illinois
(Rose: What is Springfield?)

OLD TIMES $2000: Aztec warriors

MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU $1200: Melvin Schwartz shared a Nobel Prize in Physics for his work with this 8-letter chargeless subatomic particle
(Rose: What is a neutron?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the archbishop of Canterbury
kreplach
a serpent's tooth
St. Paul
Malcolm
Moline, Illinois
Montreal, Quebec
the winter of our discontent
Indira Gandhi
gyoza
Hannibal
obsidian
neutrino
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the name of the world capital it serves, DEL is the 3-letter code for the Asian airport named for her

Steven Grade: 5400-5399=1
Rose Curtin: 12800+12799=25599
Alex Koral: 18900+7100=26000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Indira Gandhi (Steven – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Rose: 400+1000
Steven: 10400-3800
Alex: 6000+2500

Coryats
Steven: 9200
Rose: 12400
Alex: 17600

Combined: 39,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Steven: 5600
Rose: 4800
Alex: 7200

Edit: Error on numbers. Fixed
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo in yesterday's Tuesday thread: "TPTB have not heeded my exhortation to spin off Bible Jeopardy!"

Me in today's Wednesday thread: TPTB have not heeded my exhortation to spin off Shakespeare Jeopardy!

Billy Shake as CasketRomance calls him caused nothing but trouble today with Steven losing 3800 on DD2 and contestant Alex (his own fault) botching a leading article causing a reversal after the break.

Steven won five games and then did not perform well when the challengers picked up the pace to close the DJ! round. It was like the miss on DD2 took the wind out of his sails.

Alex on the other hand seemed to get quite a boost after hitting DD3.

Allow me to put the FJ! clue at 50% although I managed a guess. DEL made me think Delhi in India and the woman that came to me was Mother Teresa. INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS is not my category and during the break I had little besides two in London, two in Paris, and Da Vinci in Rome.

The Archive shows enough clues that I should have been able to get the right name, but with May 2012 the previous hit it's been too long to stick. Today was a good spot to lose a mild streak of seven right since it was a clean miss with no coin toss in the mix.

Nice run by Steven and his loss may have come at the right time to bow out before lunch and let new players take over.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

I went from Queen Victoria to Indira Gandhi to Mother Teresa. Should have stopped while I was ahead.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

It's useful to remember that Mother Teresa was Albanian. The international airport named after her is the one in Tirana, Albania.

And that connection came up on the show a couple of years ago -- see the $800 clue in the rightmost DJ category in this game:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ght=tirana
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:44 pm It's useful to remember that Mother Teresa was Albanian. The international airport named after her is the one in Tirana, Albania.

And that connection came up on the show a couple of years ago -- see the $800 clue in the rightmost DJ category in this game:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ght=tirana
i pre-called tirana and mama theresa...disappointed they didn't go that route
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i think that clue involving adamant and adam ant is a bit of a stretch...the musician was adam ant...not adamant
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

slash at 2000 was overvalued....they put guns n roses in the clue...how many guns n roses members can the average jeopardy person name?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:29 am morbeedo in yesterday's Tuesday thread: "TPTB have not heeded my exhortation to spin off Bible Jeopardy!"

Me in today's Wednesday thread: TPTB have not heeded my exhortation to spin off Shakespeare Jeopardy!

Billy Shake as CasketRomance calls him caused nothing but trouble today with Steven losing 3800 on DD2 and contestant Alex (his own fault) botching a leading article causing a reversal after the break.

Steven won five games and then did not perform well when the challengers picked up the pace to close the DJ! round. It was like the miss on DD2 took the wind out of his sails.

Alex on the other hand seemed to get quite a boost after hitting DD3.

Allow me to put the FJ! clue at 50% although I managed a guess. DEL made me think Delhi in India and the woman that came to me was Mother Teresa. INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS is not my category and during the break I had little besides two in London, two in Paris, and Da Vinci in Rome.

The Archive shows enough clues that I should have been able to get the right name, but with May 2012 the previous hit it's been too long to stick. Today was a good spot to lose a mild streak of seven right since it was a clean miss with no coin toss in the mix.

Nice run by Steven and his loss may have come at the right time to bow out before lunch and let new players take over.

i am not the only one...he is referred to that in urban dictionary...though it is billy shakes rather than just billy shake...imo adding the s to that dude is too much effort as he does not warrant it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

good that the reigning champion was dethroned today...rather have him gone today than tomorrow when the villain comes on...at least he can't boast that he tossed a 6 day champion
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I wonder how many folks got the King Lear quote from a certain episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:00 pm I wonder how many folks got the King Lear quote from a certain episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series?
never knew there was a star trek cartoon series
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Mother Teresa was associated with Calcutta, not New Delhi.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:27 pm Mother Teresa was associated with Calcutta, not New Delhi.
very true
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:43 pm slash at 2000 was overvalued....they put guns n roses in the clue...how many guns n roses members can the average jeopardy person name?
I first thought "Triple Threat" when I saw Kordell Stewart, but obviously it was Slash.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:00 pm I wonder how many folks got the King Lear quote from a certain episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series?
You can count me as one.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sorry to see Steve crash after making a good strategic wager on the DD. The sole miss in FJ means it wasn't his day, but there were two worthy replacements. He must be a busy dude to do his sports management job, cosplay, geek binge watching contests, etc.. I hope his job wasn't connected to the AAF :(.

I gave up too easy on FJ. I wagged that DEL might be New Delhi, and that New Delhi might be the capital of India, and then jumped the shark by hoping there was some famous female figure named "Delhi", final answer. I have never seen or heard the name of the airport.

Just for the record, you could put Slash in the $20,000 box and I don't get it. Probably works for the home audience to stick it on the bottom.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Ran "_of_" and "The Shared Nickname" categories.

Lach Trash: Moline, Illinois

I didn't know FJ for sure, but Indira Gandhi was the first name that came to mind.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but "Archbishop of Canterbury" in Blank of Blank.

I've heard of wonton soup, but not wontons themselves. Swing and a miss with egg drop.

Habitat should've been a run, but I blanked on "Amazon", "buffalo", AND "tundra". No idea what happened there.

I couldn't think of an award that would be given to people who have helped mankind.

That tool category was tough. NHO "on the level", "knife through water", or "chisel" as a verb.

Iceman was my only miss in Nicknames.

Clue: "Blah blah Greek city blah blah Peloponnesian war." Me: "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!"

All but Moline in Cities on the Mississippi. Shouldn't have wandered away from the Quad Cities after the last clue was Davenport.

Is there a reason anyone should know what city that Montreal deli is in? That clue seemed very devoid of TOM. Poll request?

Someone explain this FJ! to me? I looked up the airport and I don't see what DEL has to do with anything.