Wednesday, April 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 pm Someone explain this FJ! to me? I looked up the airport and I don't see what DEL has to do with anything.
It's the airport's IATA code, and represents the city where it is found.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 pm Someone explain this FJ! to me? I looked up the airport and I don't see what DEL has to do with anything.
I get it, I just don't know how it was supposed to lead to Indira Gandhi. What is the connection?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

My thought process: Asia + DEL = Delhi = India = Indian woman who would have an airport named for her = Indira Gandhi.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:43 pm My thought process: Asia + DEL = Delhi = India = Indian woman who would have an airport named for her = Indira Gandhi.
Mine was more like "Uh... I have no freaking clue."

I have this weird hangup where if you say "Gandhi" I think that it refers to Mahatma, which therefore makes me forget that Indira also exhists.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:37 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 pm
I get it, I just don't know how it was supposed to lead to Indira Gandhi. What is the connection?
i didn't get it either...was thinking it could have been some hindu god
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Israeli Dumpling, The Ring, and Level.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Serpent's Tooth), Malcolm, Moline, Montreal, *The Winter of Our Discontent*
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 pm
Is there a reason anyone should know what city that Montreal deli is in? That clue seemed very devoid of TOM. Poll request?
Schwartz's Deli is far and away the most famous restaurant in Montreal, if not all of Canada. Some celebrities have reported going straight from the airport to Schwartz's. (The airport code for Montreal is YUL, and it is named for Pierre Elliott Trudeau, father of the current prime minister Justin Trudeau. This is sure to come up sometime on Jeopardy.) I have stopped at Schwartz's more than once when I was just passing through Montreal.

The clue also mentioned smoked meat, which is used as the name for pastrami only in Montreal.

Despite its popularity and reputation, Schwartz's once ran afoul of the Quebec language police for using the apostrophe s. Local businesses in Quebec are not allowed to use the apostrophe s. Only national and international chains like McDonald's and Wendy's may. That's why their sign now says Deli Schwartz although everyone calls it Schwartz's.

Almost all of the seating at Schwartz's is picnic table style, where your party might be seated with strangers at a table for 12. There is only one table for two in the place, at the very back. My girlfriend left her purse at that table. A very alert waiter noticed before we were out of the store.

For some reason, it's popular to drink black cherry soda with your smoked meat. It's the same kind of black cherry soda you can buy at the dollar store.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

All commercial airports have a three-letter IATA code, for instance LAX for Los Angeles International Airport, DFW for Dallas-Ft Worth International Airport, etc. If the airport is named after a person, such as the Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport that serves Santiago, Chile and surrounds, the IATA code hints at the name of the city (SCL -- Santiago, Chile). Similarly in the case of Indira Gandhi International Airport, DEL signifies New Delhi.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BRD-98 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:55 am
All commercial airports have a three-letter IATA code, for instance LAX for Los Angeles International Airport, DFW for Dallas-Ft Worth International Airport, etc. If the airport is named after a person, such as the Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport that serves Santiago, Chile and surrounds, the IATA code hints at the name of the city (SCL -- Santiago, Chile). Similarly in the case of Indira Gandhi International Airport, DEL signifies New Delhi.
This part isn't invariably true. For example, the IATA code for JFK International Airport in NYC is . . . JFK (and similarly with LGA for the airport named after the city's former mayor Fiorello LaGuardia). The code for Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport is CDG. And the code for O'Hare in Chicago, which is named after a person, is ORD - which is based on that airport's former name of Orchard Field.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:53 am
This part isn't invariably true. For example, the IATA code for JFK International Airport in NYC is . . . JFK (and similarly with LGA for the airport named after the city's former mayor Fiorello LaGuardia). The code for Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport is CDG. And the code for O'Hare in Chicago, which is named after a person, is ORD - which is based on that airport's former name of Orchard Field.
I was trying to simplify for purpose of explanation but yes, this is true
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

The DEL -> India -> Ghandi progression seemed plausible enough that I never seriously considered anything else.

The only good thing about having a Shakespeare DJ! category is that it won't be the FJ! category.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BRD-98 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:53 am
I was trying to simplify for purpose of explanation but yes, this is true
Sadly, there isn't always a simplification for airport names vs. IATA initials. Orlando's primary is MCO, going back to the days when it was McCoy Air Force Base. Then again, there are those who think that MCO stands for "Mickey's Corporate Office," and that works too. :P
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:06 pm
Sadly, there isn't always a simplification for airport names vs. IATA initials. Orlando's primary is MCO, going back to the days when it was McCoy Air Force Base. Then again, there are those who think that MCO stands for "Mickey's Corporate Office," and that works too. :P
Airport codes in the continental U.S. cannot start with K, N, or W. This means that some airports have to have somewhat illogical codes:

MCI - Kansas City
BNA - Nashville
ORF - Norfolk
ALO - Waterloo
EWR - Newark
EYW - Key West
LMT - Klamath Falls
TYS - Knoxville
ACK - Nantucket
APF - Naples
HVN - New Haven
MSY - New Orleans
PHF - Newport News
OTH - North Bend
ACT - Waco
IAD - Washington
DCA - Washington
PBI - West Palm Beach
SPS - Wichita Falls
ICT - Wichita
AVP - Wilkes-Barre
ORH - Worcester
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nothing beats Sioux City's code ...

SUX.jpg
SUX.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I said "adroit" rather than "adept." Judges?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:43 pm slash at 2000 was overvalued....they put guns n roses in the clue...how many guns n roses members can the average jeopardy person name?
Let's see: guns and roses...um peter gunn, princess and, axl rose.

there.
colonialrampage
Valued Contributor

Post by colonialrampage »

John Boy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:39 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:43 pm slash at 2000 was overvalued....they put guns n roses in the clue...how many guns n roses members can the average jeopardy person name?
Let's see: guns and roses...um peter gunn, princess and, axl rose.

there.
I'm sure it just shows the strength of my bias but I had that clue from Kordell Stewart and it would have been nothing more than a guess if they'd only given the Guns n Roses half.
colonialrampage
Valued Contributor

Post by colonialrampage »

Did anyone else notice that Alex's final wager didn't lock out Rose? He only bet enough to get double her score, and if she hadn't held a dollar in reserve (a practice that doesn't make sense as often as it is used) they would have gone to a tie-breaker. It seems like a big blunder that he got away with.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

colonialrampage wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:49 pm Did anyone else notice that Alex's final wager didn't lock out Rose? He only bet enough to get double her score, and if she hadn't held a dollar in reserve (a practice that doesn't make sense as often as it is used) they would have gone to a tie-breaker. It seems like a big blunder that he got away with.
The math for theFJguy is wrong. She got to 25599, and could have doubled up to 25600, while he finished with 26k.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

Caboom wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:53 pm
colonialrampage wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:49 pm Did anyone else notice that Alex's final wager didn't lock out Rose? He only bet enough to get double her score, and if she hadn't held a dollar in reserve (a practice that doesn't make sense as often as it is used) they would have gone to a tie-breaker. It seems like a big blunder that he got away with.
The math for theFJguy is wrong. She got to 25599, and could have doubled up to 25600, while he finished with 26k.
Fixed. My apologies.