Wednesday, April 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

colonialrampage wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:44 pm
John Boy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:39 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:43 pm slash at 2000 was overvalued....they put guns n roses in the clue...how many guns n roses members can the average jeopardy person name?
Let's see: guns and roses...um peter gunn, princess and, axl rose.

there.
I'm sure it just shows the strength of my bias but I had that clue from Kordell Stewart and it would have been nothing more than a guess if they'd only given the Guns n Roses half.
i got it from stewart as well...but slash from guns n roses is more known than kordell stewart
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 pm
Is there a reason anyone should know what city that Montreal deli is in? That clue seemed very devoid of TOM. Poll request?
I had also never heard of it - I wonder if it's a bigger thing to know east of the Mississippi. There was no TOM, though I assumed Montreal or Toronto was going to be correct.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

mikebdoss wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:58 pm
Is there a reason anyone should know what city that Montreal deli is in? That clue seemed very devoid of TOM. Poll request?
I had also never heard of it - I wonder if it's a bigger thing to know east of the Mississippi. There was no TOM, though I assumed Montreal or Toronto was going to be correct.
Resident of the northeastern U.S. here. IMO the clue was clearly undervalued - the Canadian equivalent of those Oxbridge pick 'ems.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've been to Montreal and never heard of it.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

econgator wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 pm
Montreal smoked meats are pretty famous, as any of the other Canadians here would tell you. I don't like smoked meat myself so can't comment on the quality, but it was an instaget for me.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:29 pm
Montreal smoked meats are pretty famous, as any of the other Canadians here would tell you. I don't like smoked meat myself so can't comment on the quality, but it was an instaget for me.
I would venture to say that those smoked meats, and Schwartz's Deli, are much less famous among denizens of your neighbour to the south.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:23 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:29 pm
I would venture to say that those smoked meats, and Schwartz's Deli, are much less famous among denizens of your neighbour to the south.
Suspected as much. Alex was certainly disappointed to see that.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:29 am morbeedo in yesterday's Tuesday thread: "TPTB have not heeded my exhortation to spin off Bible Jeopardy!"

Me in today's Wednesday thread: TPTB have not heeded my exhortation to spin off Shakespeare Jeopardy!
Mark, nooo!!!

Mortified to miss the King Lear DD, especially after seeing the play on Broadway last week starring...name withheld, as this is the subject of a current LL One-Day Special

Duncan was an appalling guess from an otherwise solid player. Good thing my own appalling guesses have not been televised
spacebarshift
Contributor

Post by spacebarshift »

For the record, Tony Schwartz wrote every word of The Art of the Deal. All Donald did was speak.
JRC
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Can someone explain/post an image of/whatever the Old Times $2000 clue? I played the game from the Archive, which doesn't currently have the image, and I am lost as to what type of image could get us from "Aztec warriors" to obsidian.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

spacebarshift wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:21 am For the record, Tony Schwartz wrote every word of The Art of the Deal. All Donald did was speak.
Did he say something about covfefe or windmill cancer?
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:53 am
spacebarshift wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:21 am For the record, Tony Schwartz wrote every word of The Art of the Deal. All Donald did was speak.
Did he say something about covfefe or windmill cancer?
It's really hard to tell about the oranges of some of these stories... :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:42 am Can someone explain/post an image of/whatever the Old Times $2000 clue? I played the game from the Archive, which doesn't currently have the image, and I am lost as to what type of image could get us from "Aztec warriors" to obsidian.
Alex read: Aztec warriors wielded swords embedded with blades made from this volcanic glass

The image shown is from here: https://www.bridgemanimages.com/en-US/a ... 8c36%22%7D

The whole image was not shown. The guy with the four blades was shown and then it transitioned into a close-up of the weapon.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I think we can confirm that from the title not being "The Art of the Deel"
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:26 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:42 am Can someone explain/post an image of/whatever the Old Times $2000 clue? I played the game from the Archive, which doesn't currently have the image, and I am lost as to what type of image could get us from "Aztec warriors" to obsidian.
Alex read: Aztec warriors wielded swords embedded with blades made from this volcanic glass

The image shown is from here: https://www.bridgemanimages.com/en-US/a ... 8c36%22%7D

The whole image was not shown. The guy with the four blades was shown and then it transitioned into a close-up of the weapon.
Thank you. That makes a lot more sense. I would have had volcanic glass --> obsidian, so I'll add that to my Coryat.

Coryat: 44,400
52 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: kreplach, Montreal, (the winter of our discontent)

Schwartz's is one of those places like Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City or Voodoo Doughnut in Portland whose fame extends far beyond its hometown and that has become a must-hit spot for foodie tourists. For example, a friend of mine went to Montreal for a couple of Habs games last month, and the talk before he left was how close his hotel was to Schwartz's. I wouldn't expect everyone to know it, but it (and Montreal smoked meat generally) is definitely fair game as a TOM.
Sprinkles are for winners.