Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:49 pm
Chloride + sodium = salt = Dead Sea. Jordan River leaves me with absolutely no doubt... wait, what? Great Salt Lake? WHAAAAAT?!? WHY DO I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS GET THE WRONG GODDAMN ANSWER AND BITE ON NEGBAIT EVEN WHEN THERE IS NONE TO BE HAD?!?!?!?
I went there too, but then rechecked the category. US bodies of water.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm So how did everyone make the connection to Salt Lake here? I just saw "blah blah Jordan river blah blah salt" and figured it absolutely, positively, 9001% certainly HAD to be Dead Sea, because what the hell else would even make sense?
The category said the USA so it couldn't be the Dead Sea.
Well, I'm just the biggest goddamn fucking idiot who ever lived.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

StevenH wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:21 pm I personally thought that he overwagered on the chorus DD
Disagree. It was a third-box clue and the right play was to wager enough to put the game out of reach - especially against a strong player like Alex - in case FJ didn't turn out to be the softball that today's was. As it was, even with the amount of the wager, the margin of James's lock didn't end up being very much.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 am Myron's record is still intact, as are Wes Ulm's and Larissa Kelly's...
Indeed, Myron is a beast. And Larissa is one of my favourite players ever, also probably in the top 5 most skilled players ever. And their first games are clearly notable.

But what exactly is Ulm's claim to fame? I mean, even adjusting for the pre-doubled dollar values, he won "only" $17,200 (=$34,400), far below the league of Myron, Larissa and now James (not to mention below Jerome Vered's pre-doubled day one score of $24,000 (=$48,000)). Not to say he doesn't have a record, but it is not clearly to me what said record is.

Anyways, wow. What a game. I like James a lot, this is my kind of champion. A merciless robot slicing through categories in a slick way without any gimmicky "funny" quips and actions. If only he added $37 or something to that first DD wager, he'd be perfect (I have long been in favour of contestants using awkward numbers in DD wagers as a way to disorient opponents (which is why Fritz has always been another favourite of mine), I was happy to see James go for this tactic on the second chance).
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:28 pm Well, I'm just the biggest goddamn fucking idiot who ever lived.
Indeed you are.

EDIT: Of course his first wager was a TDD. Allow me to rephrase, "if only he held back $37 or something..."
Last edited by RKane on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am Alex = 25R
James = 31R
What did that leave for Anna? She was not heard from in the J! round. In the DJ! round she negged on a $400 clue and got a $2000 clue to make the FJ! round. That was an awful sandwich job for her stuck in the middle between those guys.

This is not the first rodeo for James as he & his team previously won against the Beast on The Chase and he later was on 500 Questions losing against Steve Bahnaman.

Great job by Alex in showing his win yesterday was no fluke. The repeat was not to be even if had gone all-in on DD2.

BALLPARK CUISINE had a clue using AT&T Park. As of January it's now Oracle Park. Did this name change occur after today's clue was taped?

Host Alex asked James about his sports gambling profession. James asked Trebek if he was looking for a little action on the cup this year. :lol: James said he likes the Lightning. Boooo! Go Sharks! [Not that they have a chance]

The way James wrote his name it reminded me of the writing for the LV Golden Knights.

Cars are not my thing and I was proud to get the VW the contestants did not get as a friend's dad had one years ago. For 2019 cars I find catching the end of TPIR helps with autos often in the showcase.

The FJ! clue had me make a wise switch as I wrote Salton Sea in thinking a sodium to salt connection. Right idea though wrong execution. Fortunately, I kept thinking and never had the pen down.

Funny story for what made me make the switch. My barber (now retired) more than once over the years told me a story about Santa Clara vs. Weber St. in the hoops tourney years (1969) ago. One of his customers played for Weber St. and the underdog Wildcats led the Broncos before Santa Clara came back to win in OT.

The first time I heard the story I had never heard of Weber St. I looked it up and found out the school is in Utah. Today that piece of information saved me from a miss as the river name reminded me of the school.
way for that dude to go out on a limb with the lightning pick...team has the best record and had the best record when that show was taped

i got to utah because of weber state as well...never heard of any of those rivers, but with weber state being in utah and the end of the clue had sodium, GSL was pretty much an instaget
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am The FJ! clue had me make a wise switch as I wrote Salton Sea in thinking a sodium to salt connection. Right idea though wrong execution. Fortunately, I kept thinking and never had the pen down.
The Salton Sea was mentioned in the Museum clue in the J!6. It would be pretty rare to see it in the J!6 and have it to be the answer in Final!
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:05 pm I suspect Weber State would be most likely to show up as the alma mater of NBA star Damian Lillard.
heard of weber state before lillard....harold arceneaux was a beast when he played for them and led weber state to an upset of north carolina in 1999 which had won every 1st round game since 1980
goongas

Post by goongas »

Spoiler
For FJ, I said Lake Baikal initially before seeing the category again and changing it to Great Salt Lake.
Remember to look at the category while taking the online test next week...
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

RKane wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:35 pm
But what exactly is Ulm's claim to fame? I mean, even adjusting for the pre-doubled dollar values, he won "only" $17,200 (=$34,400), far below the league of Myron, Larissa and now James (not to mention below Jerome Vered's pre-doubled day one score of $24,000 (=$48,000)). Not to say he doesn't have a record, but it is not clearly to me what said record is.
Ulm's first day Coryat adjusts to $36k. He got 39 correct responses that day.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:48 pm All hail King James! He delivered the type of virtuoso performance many of us were expecting from him. To have a runaway against a strong player like Alex, who himself posted a $17,000 Coryat, was most impressive. And anyone who was expecting to see a black hat persona from James will have been disappointed.

Like Mark, I was pleased to get the Karmann-Ghia LT in a game that had precious little LT available. And I felt awful for Anna, who had a horrible draw of opponents. For those of us trying to get on the show, getting The Call only to end up sandwiched between 2 buzzsaws is a nightmare scenario. Without any disrespect to her, but strictly out of historical curiosity: is 1 correct response by a contestant a record low?

Back to James: I look forward to the Bugatti's second run around the track.
i never understood why people take the moniker of king james as seeing it to be synonymous with greatness...the namesake was not very revered, had an assassination attempt on his life and the ringleader of the that attempt is celebrated on a day each november....ledouche james goes by king james and is kind of annoying
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Had FJ from just Jordan River :mrgreen:
So this is the guy, huh? :|
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 pm Wow. That was impressive.

Would have gotten FJ right anyway, but I recently re-watched the 1999 Weber State/UNC Tourney game starring Harold "The Show" Arceneaux, so the school + location were closer to the front of my mind.
Vintsanity wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:56 pm Pour one out for contestant Alex. He did better than I expected given the hype surrounding the challenger even before game one. I was on the wrong side of a game like this one. It was not fun.
Here, here! I thought Alex played a better game tonight than yesterday, and would have won this game against practically anyone else.

Agree with the above post, I would have gone all-in on DD2 if I were him. With that good of an opponent, you really have nothing to lose. Doing so would have kept the game from being a lock, but ultimately did not matter.

someone else on here remembered arceneaux? would never have guessed that on a board like this, but you have shown that you heads and shoulders above most jeopardy viewers when it comes to sports
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

threearruda wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 pm
RKane wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:35 pm
Ulm's first day Coryat adjusts to $36k. He got 39 correct responses that day.
Aha.

Holy shit.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There is a King James page: http://kingjamesholzhauer.com/index.html (now updated)

News for some and not news for others as there have been two playing fields for J! information.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm Be careful with Reddit today. Somebody who claims to be a future contestant is posting blatant spoilers.
can you give me a link?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm So how did everyone make the connection to Salt Lake here? I just saw "blah blah Jordan river blah blah salt" and figured it absolutely, positively, 9001% certainly HAD to be Dead Sea, because what the hell else would even make sense?
weber and sodium
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:28 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 pm
The category said the USA so it couldn't be the Dead Sea.
Well, I'm just the biggest goddamn fucking idiot who ever lived.
not sure about biggest..i am sure you do rank up there though.....you do know your obscure country music, so definitely not biggest
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 am Myron's record is still intact, as are Wes Ulm's and Larissa Kelly's...
never heard of that myron dude before...looked him up...i see he was on the show in 2005...was in uni in south korea during that time...so no wonder i have never heard of the dude before
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm
never heard of that myron dude before...looked him up...i see he was on the show in 2005...was in uni in south korea during that time...so no wonder i have never heard of the dude before
Or you could have just read any of the 1505 posts he's made here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Very gracious of you, Lampy.

Well, that was a whole lot of fuss over nothing. I was expecting horns on him or something. He isn't exactly the type of player I like, but there was nothing wrong with his play. He certainly didn't come across as arrogant in any way. I guess we'll see what else he's capable of.

Instaget. The last time I was there, I checked out the Spiral Jetty. Kinda neat, but a pain in the butt to get there. I went there with a friend's family, and they happen to be Mormon. It was way out in the desert on a deserted road, so I gunned the rental car and got it up to 105. They were quite amazed. Then, on the way back into SLC, we ran into dead stop traffic, and his wife needed to get back for an appointment. So I said what the heck and when we came to an entrance ramp on the Interstate, I backed down it to get off the highway and take back roads so she could get home on time. More amazement on their part. Apparently they still talk about my "feats". Anyway, more info on the Spiral Jetty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Jetty