Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Almost forgot and speaking of records ... did Anna set a record for fewest ring-ins?
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 am Myron's record is still intact, as are Wes Ulm's and Larissa Kelly's...
never heard of that myron dude before...looked him up...i see he was on the show in 2005...was in uni in south korea during that time...so no wonder i have never heard of the dude before
Or you could have just read any of the 1505 posts he's made here.
no idea that dude posted on here..name doesn't ring a bell
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 pm Very gracious of you, Lampy.

Well, that was a whole lot of fuss over nothing. I was expecting horns on him or something. He isn't exactly the type of player I like, but there was nothing wrong with his play. He certainly didn't come across as arrogant in any way. I guess we'll see what else he's capable of.

Instaget. The last time I was there, I checked out the Spiral Jetty. Kinda neat, but a pain in the butt to get there. I went there with a friend's family, and they happen to be Mormon. It was way out in the desert on a deserted road, so I gunned the rental car and got it up to 105. They were quite amazed. Then, on the way back into SLC, we ran into dead stop traffic, and his wife needed to get back for an appointment. So I said what the heck and when we came to an entrance ramp on the Interstate, I backed down it to get off the highway and take back roads so she could get home on time. More amazement on their part. Apparently they still talk about my "feats". Anyway, more info on the Spiral Jetty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Jetty
it was one episode...give him time
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Seeing as how the rest of the post has nothing to do with the game, I'll just add one more thing: Much respect for Anna, handling her unfortunate draw with aplomb as she did. Her reality is my worst nightmare should I ever get on stage.

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:44 pm
someone else on here remembered arceneaux? would never have guessed that on a board like this, but you have shown that you heads and shoulders above most jeopardy viewers when it comes to sports
Thanks for the compliment CR :D... Fun fact, I wasn't even alive when that game was played. :shock: Not to get too far off track, but my sports knowledge was a lot better before I re-gained my obsession with game shows a few years ago. Sports J! began airing during my sophomore year of high school, and I maintain that 15-year old me could have beaten 99% of those contestants. That was a long time ago, though LOL, and we'll never know for sure.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:55 pm Almost forgot and speaking of records ... did Anna set a record for fewest ring-ins?
No she didn't.
Douglas Squasoni
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 pm
i never understood why people take the moniker of king james as seeing it to be synonymous with greatness...the namesake was not very revered, had an assassination attempt on his life and the ringleader of the that attempt is celebrated on a day each november....ledouche james goes by king james and is kind of annoying
First of all, it's not like Mr. Holzhauer could have called himself King Alfred. And Guy Fawkes Day doesn't "celebrate" Fawkes, it celebrates the failure of the treasonous Gunpowder Plot. I'm also not sure how being the subject of an assassination attempt is relevant to the level of one's greatness. As for the NBA's King James, he's widely considered as at least being in the conversation for best player of all time.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:02 pm Seeing as how the rest of the post has nothing to do with the game, I'll just add one more thing: Much respect for Anna, handling her unfortunate draw with aplomb as she did. Her reality is my worst nightmare should I ever get on stage.

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:44 pm
someone else on here remembered arceneaux? would never have guessed that on a board like this, but you have shown that you heads and shoulders above most jeopardy viewers when it comes to sports
Thanks for the compliment CR :D... Fun fact, I wasn't even alive when that game was played. :shock: Not to get too far off track, but my sports knowledge was a lot better before I re-gained my obsession with game shows a few years ago. Sports J! began airing during my sophomore year of high school, and I maintain that 15-year old me could have beaten 99% of those contestants. That was a long time ago, though LOL, and we'll never know for sure.
sports jeopardy needs to come back on the air...no idea why a sports network doesn't have it daily...they show so much non live sports programming these days, not sure why a sports trivia show on a sports network wouldn't work..break up the monotony of the talk shows and air something like sports jeopardy
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:08 pm
i never understood why people take the moniker of king james as seeing it to be synonymous with greatness...the namesake was not very revered, had an assassination attempt on his life and the ringleader of the that attempt is celebrated on a day each november....ledouche james goes by king james and is kind of annoying
First of all, it's not like Mr. Holzhauer could have called himself King Alfred. And Guy Fawkes Day doesn't "celebrate" Fawkes, it celebrates the failure of the treasonous Gunpowder Plot. I'm also not sure how being the subject of an assassination attempt is relevant to the level of one's greatness. As for the NBA's King James, he's widely considered as at least being in the conversation for best player of all time.
never knew that...seemed like it was the assassin they were celebrating since they don masks that bear his resemblance and named the day after the assassin

but why is it the first name of james that people add king in front of it....plenty of other kings in history
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

hbomb 1947 wrote: Like Mark, I was pleased to get the Karmann-Ghia LT in a game that had precious little LT available. And I felt awful for Anna, who had a horrible draw of opponents. For those of us trying to get on the show, getting The Call only to end up sandwiched between 2 buzzsaws is a nightmare scenario. Without any disrespect to her, but strictly out of historical curiosity: is 1 correct response by a contestant a record low?
Anna gave two correct responses. The record low for players in the Archive is one, shared by Mike Ollins, Penny Frisbie, Susan Gress, Kathi Fry, Sharon Wing, Rachel Landau, and Hans von Walter.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:55 pm Almost forgot and speaking of records ... did Anna set a record for fewest ring-ins?
No she didn't.
Two ring-ins ties the known record, held by Mike Ollins, Sharon Wing, and Mary Tuohy (who got her second ring-in on the final clue of DJ!). It wouldn't surprise me if there were other such occurrences (or perhaps worse) during some of the Season 1 games not in the Archive.

[edited to add additional information]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:32 pm
No she didn't.
Two ring-ins ties the known record, held by Mike Ollins, Sharon Wing, and Mary Tuohy. It wouldn't surprise me if there were other such occurrences (or perhaps worse) during some of the Season 1 games not in the Archive.
Coincidentally enough, the winner in Mike Ollins's game also had a last name beginning with Holz.

Two things about Sharon's episode:
The Oleander clue was also used in a series finale of University Challenge back in 2009. The audience giggled. It was pretty funny.
Also, oh sh*t. Kreplach, which I missed yesterday, was used in this episode. If only Anna's ring in record happened two days earlier. :lol:
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Golf

Post by Golf »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:44 pm someone else on here remembered arceneaux? would never have guessed that on a board like this, but you have shown that you heads and shoulders above most jeopardy viewers when it comes to sports
Wonder if any others here ever played Sports IQ or Sports Trivia Challenge on NTN/Buzztime. Kind of doubtful anybody ever played in the annual World's Biggest Sports Trivia competition in St. Louis before they got rid of it a few years back.

But yeah, overall, sports knowledge is a huge black hole when it comes to the typical Jeopardy contestant/viewer.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 pm
never knew that...seemed like it was the assassin they were celebrating since they don masks that bear his resemblance and named the day after the assassin

but why is it the first name of james that people add king in front of it....plenty of other kings in history
The "Guy" is burned on a bonfire. Does that sound like a celebration? And there's the song:
Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.

The "celebration is of the foiling of the plot.

As for kings, there's King Billy, for William of Orange (not origins 😀) - I've heard that used.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:38 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:44 pm someone else on here remembered arceneaux? would never have guessed that on a board like this, but you have shown that you heads and shoulders above most jeopardy viewers when it comes to sports
Wonder if any others here ever played Sports IQ or Sports Trivia Challenge on NTN/Buzztime. Kind of doubtful anybody ever played in the annual World's Biggest Sports Trivia competition in St. Louis before they got rid of it a few years back.

But yeah, overall, sports knowledge is a huge black hole when it comes to the typical Jeopardy contestant/viewer.
used to love ntn sports trivia when they had it every sunday...i never lost a game at the bar where i played....the one summer they had an anniversary type game where top scores got a free trip to the bahamas to participate in some competition with some sports greats...can't recall the year or why it was held....placed 1st each time at my bar...though the 1 time this bad reg gave me a run for my money...was getting pizzed off when she somehow pulled the name of the 1st female nba referee....thought i was going to pull away on that question and wouldn't have to sweat keeping my undefeated sports record at that bar intact...she flamed out on the last couple of questions
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:40 pm

The "Guy" is burned on a bonfire. Does that sound like a celebration? And there's the song:
Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.

The "celebration is of the foiling of the plot.

As for kings, there's King Billy, for William of Orange (not origins 😀) - I've heard that used.
i get that now...never knew anything about it..figured since they used the name of the would be assassin in the day that commemorates that event, that he was liked and king james was seen as douche
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 pm Very gracious of you, Lampy.

Well, that was a whole lot of fuss over nothing. I was expecting horns on him or something. He isn't exactly the type of player I like, but there was nothing wrong with his play. He certainly didn't come across as arrogant in any way. I guess we'll see what else he's capable of.

Instaget. The last time I was there, I checked out the Spiral Jetty. Kinda neat, but a pain in the butt to get there. I went there with a friend's family, and they happen to be Mormon. It was way out in the desert on a deserted road, so I gunned the rental car and got it up to 105. They were quite amazed. Then, on the way back into SLC, we ran into dead stop traffic, and his wife needed to get back for an appointment. So I said what the heck and when we came to an entrance ramp on the Interstate, I backed down it to get off the highway and take back roads so she could get home on time. More amazement on their part. Apparently they still talk about my "feats". Anyway, more info on the Spiral Jetty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Jetty
On one of my old cars I found out the rev limiter kicked in at 105 on a crowded highway at the end of a night of heavy drinking
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:32 pm
No she didn't.
Two ring-ins ties the known record, held by Mike Ollins, Sharon Wing, and Mary Tuohy (who got her second ring-in on the final clue of DJ!). It wouldn't surprise me if there were other such occurrences (or perhaps worse) during some of the Season 1 games not in the Archive.

[edited to add additional information]
In both Mike's and Mary's cases, one of those "ring-ins" was a rebound, so they were in first on buzzer exactly once each.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am
Host Alex asked James about his sports gambling profession. James asked Trebek if he was looking for a little action on the cup this year. :lol: James said he likes the Lightning. Boooo! Go Sharks! [Not that they have a chance]
Yes they do ! As long as they can forget that recent 7-game losing streak.

And to be fair to Anna, she almost assuredly was buzzing in more than twice. It's just that she was first on only two of her buzz-ins.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am My barber (now retired)
This reads as self-deprecation. :lol:

Who knows if James would have bet more on the last DD if the middle one had been different, and anyway the triple get FJ makes it moot, but what a waste on Alex's DD.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I instagot FJ from Bear And Weber being counties and Jordan a city adjacent to Great Salt Lake.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Maybe because he commissioned the most popular English language translation of the Bible?