Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Woof wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:52 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 pm
but why is it the first name of james that people add king in front of it....plenty of other kings in history
Maybe because he commissioned the most popular English language translation of the Bible?
sheep will be sheep i guess...sheep bow down to an invisible entity and sing the praises of the dude who got the stories published in english
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am Alex = 25R
James = 31R
What did that leave for Anna? She was not heard from in the J! round. In the DJ! round she negged on a $400 clue and got a $2000 clue to make the FJ! round. That was an awful sandwich job for her stuck in the middle between those guys.
Happy Birthday to me! Now that I got that out of the way...

Wow! James played it so cool. I only noticed the slightest glimmer of frustration when Alex beat him to the buzzer on the Faulkner clue.

I was equally awed by Anna, who discharged her role of floor-wipe with poise and grace. I thought for sure I was watching Jeopardy! history happen tonight when the first round ended without so much as a peep from the middle player. That poor woman! All told, Anna can hold her head high because she made it to Final AND delivered the correct response.

What can I say? I look forward to watching the rest of King James' run!

Hats off to Alex for mounting a fair challenge. I held my own from the fourth podium. Not sure I would have rung in with snake, but WECIB?

Was "the resistance" really worth $1,200 in WWII??
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm Be careful with Reddit today. Somebody who claims to be a future contestant is posting blatant spoilers.
Nooo!!! That's plain criminal!

Not sure how happy I'd be to see my mug displayed on the 'Humbled' page of the King James promo site
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 pm I instagot FJ from Bear And Weber being counties and Jordan a city adjacent to Great Salt Lake.
Then you got lucky, as there is no Bear County in Utah (or anywhere else in the US).
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Got Final Jeopardy at Weber, and element clues confirmed it.

James is amazing. I can't wait for tomorrow!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:32 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:55 pm Almost forgot and speaking of records ... did Anna set a record for fewest ring-ins?
No she didn't.
Two ring-ins ties the known record, held by Mike Ollins, Sharon Wing, and Mary Tuohy (who got her second ring-in on the final clue of DJ!). It wouldn't surprise me if there were other such occurrences (or perhaps worse) during some of the Season 1 games not in the Archive.

[edited to add additional information]
As I always like to say when Mary Tuohy comes up, she finished DJ with $2,800 while the leader and second place were $1,200 apart; while she and the leader got FJ right, the second place player bet everything and missed. She bet $0, so she was a sole get or triple stumper FJ away from winning.
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

Yep.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

There was some talk a while ago about someone wagering $1,488 on FJ. If James had wagered $8,912 instead of $9,812 on his second DD and missed, he would've had $11,488. That being said, I'm sure that's a random coincidence and it will be interesting to see how well he does.

EDIT: Apparently enough other people had this same thought, and it has since been revealed that 9/8/12 was a day important to James.
Last edited by Cat Hammarskjold on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:44 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am Alex = 25R
James = 31R
What did that leave for Anna? She was not heard from in the J! round. In the DJ! round she negged on a $400 clue and got a $2000 clue to make the FJ! round. That was an awful sandwich job for her stuck in the middle between those guys.
Happy Birthday to me! Now that I got that out of the way...

Wow! James played it so cool. I only noticed the slightest glimmer of frustration when Alex beat him to the buzzer on the Faulkner clue.

I was equally awed by Anna, who discharged her role of floor-wipe with poise and grace. I thought for sure I was watching Jeopardy! history happen tonight when the first round ended without so much as a peep from the middle player. That poor woman! All told, Anna can hold her head high because she made it to Final AND delivered the correct response.

What can I say? I look forward to watching the rest of King James' run!

Hats off to Alex for mounting a fair challenge. I held my own from the fourth podium. Not sure I would have rung in with snake, but WECIB?

Was "the resistance" really worth $1,200 in WWII??
so you are all caught up now?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 am so you are all caught up now?
Well, yes and no. I'm caught up for the last few weeks, but I have a crushing backlog of episodes to get through from seasons 33-35
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:53 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 pm I instagot FJ from Bear And Weber being counties and Jordan a city adjacent to Great Salt Lake.
Then you got lucky, as there is no Bear County in Utah (or anywhere else in the US).
Bear Lake County is in Idaho, just north of the border.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I didn't get to watch tonight's show, but I find James's "the humbled" section on his website to be quite arrogant and annoying.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:04 am There was some talk a while ago about someone wagering $1,488 on FJ. If James had wagered $8,912 instead of $9,812 on his second DD and missed, he would've had $11,488. That being said, I'm sure that's a random coincidence and it will be interesting to see how well he does.
Considering you had to alter two things about how the DD was played to get to that, I don't think it even qualifies as a coincidence.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 pm but why is it the first name of james that people add king in front of it....plenty of other kings in history
I guess you've never heard of the King James Bible...

I thought what was crazy about tonight's game was how close you would have assumed Alex and James were if you didn't see the scores. Just shows how important the DDs are.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:58 am I didn't get to watch tonight's show, but I find James's "the humbled" section on his website to be quite arrogant and annoying.
You're assuming it's "his" website, even though every page of it states, "King James Holzhauer is an unofficial fan site dedicated to James Holzhauer. Our purpose is to promote interest in James Holzhauer and his Jeopardy! appearance(s). We are in no way officially affiliated with James Holzhauer, his friends, or his family. This is a site made by a fan for the fans." I know that's not dispositive; but also, on his personal FB page, earlier today he wrote, "NO SPOILERS please, as Jeopardy airs at wildly different times around the country. If you’d like to offer congratulations or castigations, use a private message or wait until tomorrow." And true to that request, he has yet to post anything on either his timeline, or the "James Holzhauer Jeopardy" FB page he created, regarding today's game. But information regarding the game was up on the "King James" website by early evening Eastern time. That does suggest that the King James site is controlled by someone other than the monarch.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
yclept

Post by yclept »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 am Myron's record is still intact, as are Wes Ulm's and Larissa Kelly's...
Looking up Myron’s game and noticed that in the next game, someone beat him with over $40K. The next game after that, another new champion was crowned with a runaway (he bet $0 but ended up with $28K I think I saw)

I wonder if that is the greatest 3-game stretch for 1-day champs in history. It has to be, right?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 43,800
50 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: snake, Karmann Ghia

I really need to find a new way to see J! consistently. That said, many thanks to the archivists for making it possible to follow along in text form.

I thought adding "chloride & sodium" to FJ! made it into a WECIB, although the Salton Sea is also a good guess if you don't recognize the Utah geographical markers.

In this thread, there have been two uncalled-for insults of a member of our community. Can we knock that off, please?
econgator wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:53 pm Then you got lucky, as there is no Bear County in Utah (or anywhere else in the US).
Well sort of. San Antonio, TX is the seat of Bexar County, which is inexplicably pronounced "Bear."
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:01 am
ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:58 am I didn't get to watch tonight's show, but I find James's "the humbled" section on his website to be quite arrogant and annoying.
You're assuming it's "his" website, even though every page of it states, "King James Holzhauer is an unofficial fan site dedicated to James Holzhauer. Our purpose is to promote interest in James Holzhauer and his Jeopardy! appearance(s). We are in no way officially affiliated with James Holzhauer, his friends, or his family. This is a site made by a fan for the fans." I know that's not dispositive; but also, on his personal FB page, earlier today he wrote, "NO SPOILERS please, as Jeopardy airs at wildly different times around the country. If you’d like to offer congratulations or castigations, use a private message or wait until tomorrow." And true to that request, he has yet to post anything on either his timeline, or the "James Holzhauer Jeopardy" FB page he created, regarding today's game. But information regarding the game was up on the "King James" website by early evening Eastern time. That does suggest that the King James site is controlled by someone other than the monarch.
same guy who used a fake name to post on here
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 am so you are all caught up now?
Well, yes and no. I'm caught up for the last few weeks, but I have a crushing backlog of episodes to get through from seasons 33-35
just let them go...i haven't seen any episodes from 1990-2010 and also missed several in 2011 when i was living in china and the full 2012 season when i was living in russia
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 pm but why is it the first name of james that people add king in front of it....plenty of other kings in history
I guess you've never heard of the King James Bible...

I thought what was crazy about tonight's game was how close you would have assumed Alex and James were if you didn't see the scores. Just shows how important the DDs are.
that makes him the best and most notable king in history? imo he is the worst for doing that...just another way to control the sheep