Friday, April 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7965, 2019-04-05

CONTESTANTS
Marshall Shelburne, a computer programmer from Los Angeles, California
Satish Chandrasekhar, a medical student from Jupiter, Florida
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 1-day cash winnings total $43,680)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I hope I'm not starting off this program with a negative tone, but I wish on yesterday's program, James, you had not turned that into a runaway. Because if it had been a close game, you'd have been forced to wager a lot more money, and you could have set the new one-day record--

[James snaps his fingers.]

Alex: --for a win on Jeopardy!. Well, Satish and Marshall, it could happen to you too. Let's see. Good luck. Here we go. Categories, please...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BODIES OF WATER (5/5)
LEGAL TERMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MAKE TIME FOR TIME (5/5)
JAMES BOND & FRIENDS (5/5)
"Q" (5/5)
MONET-PUNNY (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 12 R, 1 W
Satish: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Marshall: 8 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Satish found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. James had $2,200, Satish had $3,800, and Marshall was at $1,800. Satish wagered $2,000.

LEGAL TERMS $1000: You appeared to be adversaries, but had a secret pact with your pal to make illegal gains; you're guilty of this 9-letter crime

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Satish: $5,800
James: $3,800
Marshall: $2,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Marshall Shelburne is a computer programmer form Los Angeles who once met a Jeopardy! celebrity game winner.

Marshall: Yeah, that's right. A few years ago, I had the good fortune of being introduced to Aaron Rodgers. He was being introduced to several people, so I thought it'd be funny if I referred to him as former Jeopardy! champion Aaron Rodgers, and he got a big kick out of it.

Alex: He's got a great sense of humor. He's a nice guy.

Marshall: He was great on the show.

Alex: Yeah.

Alex: Satish Chandrasekhar [chon-druh-seh-KAR]. Did I get it right?

Satish: Chandrasekhar [chon-druh-SHAKE-er].

Alex: From Jupiter, Florida. Medical student. And your mustache reminds me of one I used to have.

Satish: Yeah, Alex, I'm still wondering why you shaved the mustache. I mean, that was an inspiration from my childhood.

Alex: And you started growing it when you were 5.

Satish: Pretty close to it.

[Laughter]

Alex: It looks good on you, I gotta say.

Satish: Thank you, sir.

Alex: James Holzhauer is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He's also an athlete, I think. You climbed Mount Fuji during a typhoon?

James: Yeah. I skipped a week of my language classes to go run off with a girl and go to Mount Fuji. And if I had taken those classes, I might have known that there was a typhoon coming in the weather forecast. And a bunch of hailstones rained on me and my soon-to-be-ex girlfriend. But we made to the top.

Alex: But you got--did it. All right. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MONET-PUNNY $800: Dealers often applied this glossy material, also a floor covering, so now conservators do some Monet laundering

MONET-PUNNY $600: A common sight was walking around Monet who worked outdoors, as in a cliff walk in this Channel-side French region
(Marshall: What is Calais?)
(James: What is Brittany?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Satish: $6,800
James: $5,200
Marshall: $4,400
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOOK TITLE NAMES (5/5)
SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL (4/5)
WHICH TALL CHIEF? (4/5)
18th CENTURY SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ACM AWARDS (4/5) (Alex: They air this Sunday, live from Las Vegas: The Academy of Country Music Awards.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Satish: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Marshall: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Satish snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. James had $7,200, Satish had $12,400, and Marshall was at $3,600. Satish wagered $4,000.

18th CENTURY SCIENCE $1200: Next time you grab a soda, you can thank Joseph Priestley, who dissolved the gas in water in 1768, making it fizzy

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. James had $12,400, Satish had $14,400, and Marshall was at $3,600. James wagered $11,914.

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1600: Nicknamed "Sadie Lou", this New York college dropped the word "For Women from its name in 1947

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ACM AWARDS $1600: In 2018 she won 3 awards including Song of the Year for "Tin Man", for a total of 32, the most of any artist in ACM history

SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL $2000: From the Latin for "quake" comes the word for something outstanding
(Marshall: What is terrific?)
(Satish: What is seismic?)
(Alex: For shaking, a tremor. [*].)

WHICH TALL CHIEF? $2000: This 6'5" French president was nicknamed "The Big Asparagus"
(Marshall: Who is Chirac?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $29,114
Satish: $18,800
Marshall: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN CAPITALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
James: Wager $8,487 to cover Satish, but no more than $21,113 so as not to fall behind Marshall's doubled score.
Satish: You have the hope of surpassing James if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,315 and as much as $10,800 to force James to wager to win while still protecting your second place position from being usurped by Marshall.
Marshall: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Remove 2 letters from within the 6-letter name of this capital & you get the name of a capital from a neighboring country

FINAL SCORES
Marshall: $4,000 - $1,555 = $2,445 (What Lisbon) (3rd place: $1,000)
Satish: $18,800 - $6,200 = $12,600 (What are ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $29,114 + $9,812 = $38,926 (What is Berlin happy anniversary M! ♥) (2-day champion: $82,606)
(Alex: [To James] You take the "L-I" out of there, and you have Bern, Switzerland.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $18,800, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Satish: $15,000, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Marshall: $4,000, 15 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $37,800

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 23/59 = .390
Satish: 18/60 = .300
Marshall: 15/58 = .259
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MONET-PUNNY $1000: It's not just canvas--there's paper Monet, like a drawing of this city known for its cathedral & for the death of Joan of Arc

BODIES OF WATER $1000: Canada's Spotted Lake is found over the border from Washington in this province

BODIES OF WATER $600: Seen here is a a marker at Cape Agulhas at the tip of this continent

"Q" $200: It's the type of musical work being performed here

ACM AWARDS $1200: In 1976 she went from "Coal Miner's Daughter" to the first woman to win ACM Entertainer of the Year

ACM AWARDS $2000: At the 2007 awards Taylor Swift met this superstar for the first time after performing her debut single that's named for him

BOOK TITLE NAMES $2000: "I spit on your happiness!" is a line from this Jean Anouilh tragedy about a daughter of Oedipus
(Marshall: Who is Elektra?)

WHICH TALL CHIEF? $1600: Milo Đukanović, of this former Yugoslav republic named for its mountainousness, towers over other leaders

18th CENTURY SCIENCE $400: Years before Darwin, Charles Bonnet used this word for the idea that catastrophes lead to higher life forms
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

ACM AWARDS $400: We're on a first name basis with this bubbly redhead who has hosted the awards more times than any other artist

CORRECT RESPONSES
collusion
varnish
Normandy
carbon dioxide
Sarah Lawrence
Miranda Lambert
tremendous
Charles de Gaulle
Berlin
Rouen
British Columbia
Africa
a quintet
Loretta Lynn
Tim McGraw
Antigone
Montenegro
evolution
Reba McEntire
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN CAPITALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Remove 2 letters from within the 6-letter name of this capital & you get the name of a capital from a neighboring country

James Holzhauer: 29114+9812=38926 (2x = $82,606)
Satish Chandrasekhar: 18800-6200=12600
Marshall Shelburne: 4000-1555=2445

Correct response:
Spoiler
Berlin (James added Happy Anniversary M! with a heart drawn above it) (Satish – What are ?) (Marshall – Lisbon)

Daily Doubles
Satish: 3800+2000
Satish: 12400+4000
James: 12400+11914

Coryats
James: 18800
Satish: 15000
Marshall: 4000

Combined: 37,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 5200
Satish: 6800
Marshall: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice timing for the ACM category with the show on this Sunday.

Satish played well and for a round and a half was in good shape. James used DD3 to turn the game in his favor and closed the deal with the sole solve of the FJ! clue.

The FJ! clue was a miss for me as the capitals of Portugal, Spain, Poland & Albania did nothing for me as I played the 6-letter brainstorm game. I needed to use the New York factor that I fail to do for U.S. type clues and go for the biggies. Spain, France, Germany & Italy were likely to be the places.

Nice title defense by James in staying cool against a tough competitor. This week's pool of players had some heavy hitters in the mix.

ETA: It was not until reading comments elsewhere that I realized I never considered London. :oops: England should go with the other biggies above.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

I got this FJ by focusing on 4-letter capitals and then trying to add the other two letters. Rome? Can't see another European capital there? Oslo? No luck there either. Once I came up with Bern it was easy to get to Berlin for the solve with some time to spare.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

ClosingTime wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:38 pm I got this FJ by focusing on 4-letter capitals and then trying to add the other two letters. Rome? Can't see another European capital there? Oslo? No luck there either. Once I came up with Bern it was easy to get to Berlin for the solve with some time to spare.
That's the route I took as well. If you started with the 6 letter capitals, there probably wasn't enough time to go through them all, so you needed to get lucky to have Berlin as one of your first few choices (or think of the biggest capitals, as Mark mentioned).

For a while I got stuck on Oslo/Moscow, until I realized I'd need to straighten the C to make it work :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yes, I ran the ACM category.

I work at a church and have NHO "vespers".

Canadian province next to WA might've been a tad easy for the bottom box.

Ran the "Q" category.

Monet, Legal, Time, and Bond were all big 0/5 for me.

Some Kind of Wonderful and College were also 0/5 in DJ! The clues just didn't connect for me at all. NHO "peachy keen" to my knowledge.

There's Me and Earl and the Dying Girl in the top box again. It polled only 5% last time, but I bet recognition would be higher today. (Cheezguyty or anyone else: Is that a record low for a top box in our polls?)

I actually said "Berlin" out loud, and tried removing letters from it, but got nowhere. Even when Alex said it was right, I was like "Huh? 'Rlin' isn't the name of a capital! Berl? Erli? Blin? None of those are even close to a capital name." Just another instance of me not seeing the forest for the trees.

Lach Trash on Miranda Lambert. To be fair, "Tin Man" wasn't one of her bigger hits, and country radio won't even touch women with a 39 1/2 foot pole anymore.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

The Bugatti got off to a slow start, but then vroom vroom! If he hadn't hit that last Daily Double, he could easily have lost.
FJ was a TOC-level clue. A lot to parse in 30 seconds. I would've gotten it if it had been an LL question, but I spent the first 20 seconds figuring out what it meant.
Amazing how many people (particularly former contestants) believe JH created his own fansite, or believe he's just as guilty :roll: as the creator(s) is/are because he hasn't demanded that it be taken down! Proof that smart people can be fooled too.
Hoping for a third lap
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really thought that the pre-med student, Satish, would go TDD in the science category.

I had no idea on FJ. I never do well on wordplay clues.

I was thinking the same thing as Mark about all the great contestants who we have seen this week. Who gets the call at the same time as you really does involve a lot of luck.

My only (minor) criticism of Holzhauer's play was that he started with the Monet category. That one did not strike me as likely as having the DD.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Man I like this guy a lot... I also liked the other two today as it happens (and how often are all three contestants of the same gender? I guess it doesn't matter) but there can only be one.

I would note that while his two-day score isn't breaking any records, it does have him averaging over $40k... so if he keeps this up for 5 days, he may well top even the GOATenberg's five-day score. I might feel a little resentment over that (something about the fact that the record has stood for longer than I have been alive, while other records fade away) but if anyone has to do it, it may as well be this machine.

...I don't see it happening though.

Got FJ! in good time but there is no way in hell I would have got in with a national audience. I don't know why I feel so sure of this when usually I don't think it would make a lot of difference, but I just can't see myself managing in this case.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Another tremendous game, several fantastic players and matches this week. Nice work from James to pull away again in the later stages. I'm sad we only get 30 minutes worth of Satish's mustache.

Took about five seconds before I landed on Berlin --> Bern to cap off a 5/5 week. I feel fortunate though, I've flailed around on my fair share of those types of clues. Lots of empathy to those who claim a miss tonight.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:30 pm Yes, I ran the ACM category.

Lach Trash on Miranda Lambert. To be fair, "Tin Man" wasn't one of her bigger hits, and country radio won't even touch women with a 39 1/2 foot pole
anymore.
Agreed on all counts. Country stations clearly designed for millennial pop fans in my area have only started playing Kacey Musgraves because - OMG! - she won the Album of the Year Grammy. :roll: Lambert still seems to be popular among the J! music canon, though.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I said nocturnes for vespers. :?:
Went about FJ all wrong. Focused on geography & stumbled around the Balkans & former Soviet republics instead of focusing on letters. :oops:
I thought Subash was going to win for awhile. :o
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

sarisson wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:48 pm Amazing how many people (particularly former contestants) believe JH created his own fansite, or believe he's just as guilty :roll: as the creator(s) is/are because he hasn't demanded that it be taken down! Proof that smart people can be fooled too.

Especially smart people for whom the (not credible) thought that James created the site validates their pre-existing feelings towards James, thereby serving as an example of confirmation bias. (I do think that for PR reasons it might help if he publicly condemned the site; but maybe he doesn't want to do the site creator the favor of drawing attention to it. I doubt it's getting noticed much outside the bubble of the trivia community.)

Me, I'm trying to ignore that noise and just enjoy watching a supremely skilled player in action. Today I wouldn't say that James got off to a slow start so much as Satish got off to a fast start. But Satish didn't exploit the potential value of his DD's nearly to the extent that James took advantage of the 1 DD he found - which enabled James to not only leapfrog Satish but to have a crush game going into FJ. When James hit his DD, he was $2,000 behind Satish - and most players in that situation would have wagered very conservatively. They would have risked $2,000 or not much more. One of the things that makes James a Bugatti is his willingness to go big in that situation. The ensuing crush scenario increased his chances of winning, although with his sole solve on a tough FJ he would have emerged victorious regardless.

On that FJ, I had a rare instance of my answer sheet reading "What is ?" as time ran out. Count me as another person who's confident he would have solved the clue were it an LL question, but for whom 30 seconds wasn't enough time. It didn't help that although I wrote down a bunch of European capitals as precalls during the commercial break, neither Berlin nor Bern was among them. :cry:
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Could have been quite interesting if the $486 James left behind on his DD wager made the difference in the game being a crush or not. Didn’t turn out that way but wasn’t far off. Obviously the single get Final would make this irrelevant but I don’t see the strategic value in not going all in there.

*Edit: corrected to $486
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:56 pm Could have been quite interesting if the $412 James left behind on his DD wager made the difference in the game being a crush or not. Didn’t turn out that way but wasn’t far off. Obviously the single get Final would make this irrelevant but I don’t see the strategic value in not going all in there.
So far, he has made wagers with numbers that represent important dates for his family. Like,
Spoiler
9/8/12 is his wedding date, and $9,812 was the amount of one of his DD wagers yesterday (as well as his FJ wager today).
I haven't asked him yet but I'm sure November 9, 2014 must be a date with special significance for him as well. He seems okay with very slightly reducing his chances of winning, and/or leaving a little money on the table, with his sentimentally motivated but still massive wagers
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:56 pm Could have been quite interesting if the $412 James left behind on his DD wager made the difference in the game being a crush or not. Didn’t turn out that way but wasn’t far off. Obviously the single get Final would make this irrelevant but I don’t see the strategic value in not going all in there.
James seems to make some wagers based on dates, so perhaps Jan. 19, 2014 is meaningful or Nov. 9, 2014?. The 9812 wager for the FJ! round could be his wedding date according to TJ!F.

threearruda: Thank you for the insight about Marshall's sibling, Ramona Shelburne even though I have to play the CasketRomance card of never heard of her. Put her on HQ with Papi & Dan and then she can hit my radar.

ETA: Outbuzzed by the hbomb above.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 pm Sports fans: Marshall has a well-known sibling, it appears. Pretty cool!
never heard of her
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:09 pm
James seems to make some wagers based on dates, so perhaps Jan. 19, 2014 is meaningful or Nov. 9, 2014?. The 9812 wager for the FJ! round could be his wedding date according to TJ!F.

threearruda: Thank you for the insight about Marshall's sibling, Ramona Shelburne even though I have to play the CasketRomance card of never heard of her. Put her on HQ with Papi & Dan and then she can hit my radar.

ETA: Outbuzzed by the hbomb above.
you beat me to it
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:30 pm There's Me and Earl and the Dying Girl in the top box again. It polled only 5% last time, but I bet recognition would be higher today.
Not for me it wasn't.

I despise using wordplay for FJ. I got it right, but I still hate it.
StevenH wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:04 pm That one did not strike me as likely as having the DD.
What? Each category has a 1-in-6 chance in the J! round.