Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:22 am In this thread, there have been two uncalled-for insults of a member of our community. Can we knock that off, please?
What member?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:21 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:22 am In this thread, there have been two uncalled-for insults of a member of our community. Can we knock that off, please?
What member?
TPH.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:48 am
What member?
TPH.
it was a joke insult
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:48 am
What member?
TPH.
And one of those insults was made by... TPH.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:22 am
I really need to find a new way to see J! consistently.
Try the CBS All Access option discussed here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5113&start=15

I can confirm that it works.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I clammed on both "snake" and "resistance" because I assumed they were asking for something more specific. :?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:01 am
ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:58 am I didn't get to watch tonight's show, but I find James's "the humbled" section on his website to be quite arrogant and annoying.
You're assuming it's "his" website, even though every page of it states, "King James Holzhauer is an unofficial fan site dedicated to James Holzhauer. Our purpose is to promote interest in James Holzhauer and his Jeopardy! appearance(s). We are in no way officially affiliated with James Holzhauer, his friends, or his family. This is a site made by a fan for the fans." I know that's not dispositive; but also, on his personal FB page, earlier today he wrote, "NO SPOILERS please, as Jeopardy airs at wildly different times around the country. If you’d like to offer congratulations or castigations, use a private message or wait until tomorrow." And true to that request, he has yet to post anything on either his timeline, or the "James Holzhauer Jeopardy" FB page he created, regarding today's game. But information regarding the game was up on the "King James" website by early evening Eastern time. That does suggest that the King James site is controlled by someone other than the monarch.
So a 'fan' starts a site dedicated to someone who was going to be on the program at some point in the future and possibly do really well? I'm not sure I'm buying that one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:19 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 pm but why is it the first name of james that people add king in front of it....plenty of other kings in history
I guess you've never heard of the King James Bible...

I thought what was crazy about tonight's game was how close you would have assumed Alex and James were if you didn't see the scores. Just shows how important the DDs are.
that makes him the best and most notable king in history? imo he is the worst for doing that...just another way to control the sheep
What it made him is well known. I don't think it's necessarily a comment on whether he was a good king or not.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 pm
threearruda wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:02 pm Seeing as how the rest of the post has nothing to do with the game, I'll just add one more thing: Much respect for Anna, handling her unfortunate draw with aplomb as she did. Her reality is my worst nightmare should I ever get on stage.

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:44 pm
someone else on here remembered arceneaux? would never have guessed that on a board like this, but you have shown that you heads and shoulders above most jeopardy viewers when it comes to sports
Thanks for the compliment CR :D... Fun fact, I wasn't even alive when that game was played. :shock: Not to get too far off track, but my sports knowledge was a lot better before I re-gained my obsession with game shows a few years ago. Sports J! began airing during my sophomore year of high school, and I maintain that 15-year old me could have beaten 99% of those contestants. That was a long time ago, though LOL, and we'll never know for sure.
sports jeopardy needs to come back on the air...no idea why a sports network doesn't have it daily...they show so much non live sports programming these days, not sure why a sports trivia show on a sports network wouldn't work..break up the monotony of the talk shows and air something like sports jeopardy
I auditioned for sports jeopardy in June 2017, right before the last taping session. I did well and figured I would get the call, but they cancelled it before that could happen. I too wish it would come back, and I;m not sure why it hasn't been picked up or else at least something similar on Fox SPorts 7 or espn 5. There's a sports trivia podcast I've been on a couple times in the last few months called sports trivia face off. Its a good listen and fun to be on, there is a wide variety of sports trivia.
billiej

Post by billiej »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 am
threearruda wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:02 pm Seeing as how the rest of the post has nothing to do with the game, I'll just add one more thing: Much respect for Anna, handling her unfortunate draw with aplomb as she did. Her reality is my worst nightmare should I ever get on stage.

someone else on here remembered arceneaux? would never have guessed that on a board like this, but you have shown that you heads and shoulders above most jeopardy viewers when it comes to sports
Thanks for the compliment CR :D... Fun fact, I wasn't even alive when that game was played. :shock: Not to get too far off track, but my sports knowledge was a lot better before I re-gained my obsession with game shows a few years ago. Sports J! began airing during my sophomore year of high school, and I maintain that 15-year old me could have beaten 99% of those contestants. That was a long time ago, though LOL, and we'll never know for sure.
sports jeopardy needs to come back on the air...no idea why a sports network doesn't have it daily...they show so much non live sports programming these days, not sure why a sports trivia show on a sports network wouldn't work..break up the monotony of the talk shows and air something like sports jeopardy
I auditioned for sports jeopardy in June 2017, right before the last taping session. I did well and figured I would get the call, but they cancelled it before that could happen. I too wish it would come back, and I;m not sure why it hasn't been picked up or else at least something similar on Fox SPorts 7 or espn 5. There's a sports trivia podcast I've been on a couple times in the last few months called sports trivia face off. Its a good listen and fun to be on, there is a wide variety of sports trivia.
Even though sports isn't my thing, I actually enjoyed watching Sports J! It had a laid back, amiable vibe while still taking the game seriously.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 am So a 'fan' starts a site dedicated to someone who was going to be on the program at some point in the future and possibly do really well? I'm not sure I'm buying that one.
Here's what I think's going on:

There was an audience member who saw what was going on, thought "Hey, I can be on the leading edge of this", and created the site himself without really realizing what he was doing.

Someone created the subreddit r/kingjamesholzhauer a month ago; that user's posting history screams "early-to-mid-20s-person in Southern California". It would stand to reason that the website and subreddit were created by the same person, and this person has accidentally managed to troll a significant swath of the quizzing community, as these quizzers felt that James would be the sort of person who would pull off such a thing.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:41 am
alietr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 am So a 'fan' starts a site dedicated to someone who was going to be on the program at some point in the future and possibly do really well? I'm not sure I'm buying that one.
Here's what I think's going on:

There was an audience member who saw what was going on, thought "Hey, I can be on the leading edge of this", and created the site himself without really realizing what he was doing.

Someone created the subreddit r/kingjamesholzhauer a month ago; that user's posting history screams "early-to-mid-20s-person in Southern California". It would stand to reason that the website and subreddit were created by the same person, and this person has accidentally managed to troll a significant swath of the quizzing community, as these quizzers felt that James would be the sort of person who would pull off such a thing.
A Google search for james holzhauer under the images tab turns up the photo on the front of the site. Your theory makes sense to me.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Of course it is a fan site. Critical thinking gets tossed aside when jealousy gets involved.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Since James Holzhauer has not yet publicly commented on the existence of the website, and since a call for critical thinking has been issued, let's do some:

Given that the creator of the site had advance knowledge of dates and results (enough to create a separate tab just for "records broken"), the number of people who could have conceivably been behind it is limited, and I see three possible options here:

1. James or someone close to him created the site. If true, the frustration here is over him casually violating the terms of a contract which everyone else who's been on the show obeyed, even though we had to brush off or sometimes lie to our family and friends for months to do so. That's a legitimate grievance. Even children contestants have been able to honor that agreement. Plus, many of us are repulsed by the fact that this site is displaying the names and faces of his opponents in a section called "The Humbled," so I feel pretty comfortable asserting that the person behind this, whomever they may be, is not a particularly great human. If anyone suspects that James is the creator, and they're raging against him, the issues I've mentioned here are the reasons for their anger, not "jealousy."

2. Someone with a grudge against James, who is close enough to him to have somehow obtained results, is doing this to make him look bad. If true, that's some enemy, and all of us should be unsettled by this person's intentions just as fans of the show. Given that multiple people who claim to have confirmation that it wasn't him are on Twitter telling everyone else to shrug it off, I'm guessing it's not #2.

3. If it is indeed a "fan," and as the site was created in early March, this would by definition mean someone who was at a taping. But what is this nonsense about shrugging it off as "of course it was a fan"? Why "of course"? Has this ever been done before? What sort of person, after chancing across an interesting contestant at a gameshow taping, decides to spend at least $10-$15 to register a site a month before the airing, several hours collecting pictures and designing it as an awed celebration of this person's greatness, and even writes up instructions for media outlets and sets up an email address for contact related to such inquiries? Was this person sitting there the whole time during a taping jotting down notes?

If #3 is the case, and I were James, I'd be concerned about a potential stalker. This person is clearly really into him, has control of a site with his name and image, and is trying to make contact with media outlets. How is this not exceptionally weird and creepy?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Framed like this option #3 does seem like a bit of a stretch, but there are some weird people out there...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 am

will have to check it out
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've deleted two posts that were spoilers.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

At first I though we might be able to rule out the website creator being someone who was in the audience for this game, thinking they wouldn't have erroneously written that James was "immediately setting records on his first day" if they had witnessed said day. But perhaps "day" to this person meant "tape day". Or maybe the site creator is operating solely on second-hand scuttlebutt.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm2. Someone with a grudge against James, who is close enough to him to have somehow obtained results, is doing this to make him look bad. If true, that's some enemy, and all of us should be unsettled by this person's intentions just as fans of the show. Given that multiple people who claim to have confirmation that it wasn't him are on Twitter telling everyone else to shrug it off, I'm guessing it's not #2.
Another reason to rule out #2 is whoever the site creator was, they were nice enough to try to remove spoilers from the site after the site was discovered. If they wanted to make him look bad, they would've just said, "Hi, it's me, James, and my winnings were $X over Y days with Z 'subjects' and records A, B, and C."
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:34 pm
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm2. Someone with a grudge against James, who is close enough to him to have somehow obtained results, is doing this to make him look bad. If true, that's some enemy, and all of us should be unsettled by this person's intentions just as fans of the show. Given that multiple people who claim to have confirmation that it wasn't him are on Twitter telling everyone else to shrug it off, I'm guessing it's not #2.
Another reason to rule out #2 is whoever the site creator was, they were nice enough to try to remove spoilers from the site after the site was discovered. If they wanted to make him look bad, they would've just said, "Hi, it's me, James, and my winnings were $X over Y days with Z 'subjects' and records A, B, and C."
Agreed.

I don't think there's any way this can be "just a fan" in the average viewer sense, because this is too odd. If it were created in the middle of his run, sure, why not, but this person was getting ready for something a month in advance.

This is not to say that it absolutely is James or someone connected with him. But all evidence indicates that this person is someone who has the goal to capitalize off of James's appearances in some way - and that could be someone who's simply deluded enough to think that if they create a fan site, he'll give them a share of his winnings as a thank-you. But shrugging this off as just fans being fans is ridiculous. At the very least, eyebrows should be raised, and if James had nothing to do with it, he should be more curious about why this person has decided to be his #1 internet stan instead of just sending his buddies to defend him.