Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ElendilPickle »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am Of course it is a fan site. Critical thinking gets tossed aside when jealousy gets involved.
OK, it's certainly possible - maybe probable - that this was done by a fan. I still find "the humbled" section to be inappropriate and arrogant.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am Of course it is a fan site. Critical thinking gets tossed aside when jealousy gets involved.
OK, it's certainly possible - maybe probable - that this was done by a fan. I still find "the humbled" section to be inappropriate and arrogant.
Couldn't the show file a copyright claim against that photo gallery? It seems the photos were blatantly taken from the website. The fan site does claim that it will respond to such claims in its disclaimer.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 pm
I agree that the "humbled" section is repugnant. I don't think I would use the word "arrogant," since James himself isn't gloating or insulting his opponents. I think it reflects immaturity and low emotional intelligence on the part of the website creator.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I understand the points made by Jennifer Morrow, but I still do not believe that James could be stupid enough to jeopardize (no pun intended) his future TofC participation and even his winnings from this run (if there is a run - I have decided not to actually check out the site) by creation of a spoiler-filled self-aggrandizing site. So far on the show he has shown no hint of the Black Hat persona that others speculated about in the original thread. It is all very strange.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

I don't have a dog in this fight (or whatever it is) and I don't know anyone involved, and I don't have any firsthand information whatsoever. But back in 2014 when I saw James on The Chase I did quite a bit of googling to figure out who he was, and I didn't find him in J-archive, so I had a feeling he'd be a mega champion on Jeopardy! one day. Anyway, I found his sports analysis blog that it looks like he operated for several years, ending in 2010. I checked it a couple weeks ago when the "next great champion" promos started airing, and the several hundred posts were still up, although apparently nothing new since 2010. Some time in the last two weeks everything has been erased. Make of that what you will.

http://resultsdisoriented.blogspot.com/
markmcsw
Contributor

Post by markmcsw »

Did anyone else think Anna looked a little bit like Hillary?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

markmcsw wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 am Did anyone else think Anna looked a little bit like Hillary?

No, not even a little.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:32 pm At first I though we might be able to rule out the website creator being someone who was in the audience for this game, thinking they wouldn't have erroneously written that James was "immediately setting records on his first day" if they had witnessed said day. But perhaps "day" to this person meant "tape day". Or maybe the site creator is operating solely on second-hand scuttlebutt.
It would rule out #1 though, or at least James himself. Though I think he's ruled out anyway, as it seems silly to me to even consider someone making a page like that of themselves.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Seeing the "DJ Round of Doom" and the " :o" emoticon when this thread was first made, I was eagerly waiting for FJ Guy's post, expecting to come into this thread and see James winning like $80,000. Ah well.
theGrue

Post by theGrue »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm 3. If it is indeed a "fan," and as the site was created in early March, this would by definition mean someone who was at a taping. But what is this nonsense about shrugging it off as "of course it was a fan"? Why "of course"? Has this ever been done before? What sort of person, after chancing across an interesting contestant at a gameshow taping, decides to spend at least $10-$15 to register a site a month before the airing, several hours collecting pictures and designing it as an awed celebration of this person's greatness, and even writes up instructions for media outlets and sets up an email address for contact related to such inquiries? Was this person sitting there the whole time during a taping jotting down notes?
Bump that tab up to $20-$30 for registering http://hasjameslostyet.com/ too.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The photos are now gone from the Humbled page.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 pm The photos are now gone from the Humbled page.
Are the names still there?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 am
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 pm The photos are now gone from the Humbled page.
Are the names still there?
Yes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex: James Holzhauer is from Las Vegas. He is a professional sports gambler. What does that mean, exactly?

James: Oh, I will bet on anything. Why, are you looking for a little action on the Cup this year? I like the Lightning.

Alex: Oh, really? No, I'm not looking for any action whatsoever. I go to Vegas for the shows, not the gambling. Okay.

Columbus is up 3-0. James better stick to Daily Doubles or the NFL and lay off the NHL. Feel free to resurrect this post if the Lightning win the next four games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just now getting to this game. I had fallen behind and have been trying to catch up but lost about a dozen games in the great reddit purge.

Amazing performance. I wonder how much he could have won if the champ hadn’t been such a strong player.

Mark beat me to it, but I hope he didn’t put too much on the Lightning.

I also enjoy the STFO podcast, highly recommend.