Sony Reportedly Searching For Alex's Replacement

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Sony Reportedly Searching For Alex's Replacement

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:53 am Jim Parsons in character.
Explains why Jim wanted to quit when he did ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:00 pm I think Anderson Cooper would be a good choice. He has a news background, so that gives him an appearance of being intellectual.
Journos/pundits on Celebrity J! consistently show that their main job is to be empty talking heads in front of a camera without much in the way of real "on the spot" knowledge. AC wasn't much of an exception in his appearances. What group of celebs consistently does the best? Comedians.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:53 am Jim Parsons in character.
Sheldon: "Well, actually, the correct response cannot be Sheldon Cooper, because as you can see, I am the only Sheldon Cooper. That is not to say that I am literally the only person named Sheldon Cooper who has ever lived, but I, meaning me, the Sheldon Cooper that you see before me right now, am the only instance of this particular Sheldon Cooper."

(Canned laughter.)

Some other cast member: "Then what about other people that happen to be named Sheldon Cooper?"

Sheldon: "If there are other people out there with my name, then they may be a Sheldon Cooper, but they are not this one. Unless perhaps I have unknnowingly gone through a Star Trek replicator of some kind, that is to assume that someone has made such technology by now. In which case I would like to thank that person heartily for having made not one, but two of me so that I may go on to be twice as smart as anyone else, and of course, mightily confuse and entertain everyone by my now doubled presence."

(Canned laughter.)

Me: "I want you to do the whole world a favor and stick your genitalia in a blender."
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Keep the same initials - Aisha Tyler. Woman of color, intelligent, gamer, young, graduated from Dartmouth, experience with The Talk and Whose Line, did Celebrity Jeopardy. Done.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Sorry, folks. This conversation is only an extension of one going on for years and years, here and elsewhere. We don't get a vote
and as usual we have to count on TPTB to do what they believe is right for the long-term future of the franchise.

(Plus, until further notice, Alex is still the host, and I find this entire discussion a bit disrespectful and difficult to think about.)
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I think Aisha Tyler would be an excellent choice, maybe the best possible choice (I used to think it would be neat if Ken or Brad took the job, but I no longer think so). Certainly the fact that she was in DEATH SENTENCE, which is an outstanding film if you haven't seen it, is another plus. I don't think her skin colour or gender matter one way or the other, that really shouldn't be a factor in choosing a new host, especially given the condescending way the article mentions it.
Last edited by RKane on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

RKane wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 am I think Aisha Taylor would be an excellent choice, maybe the best possible choice (I used to think it would be neat if Ken or Brad took the job, but I no longer think so). Certainly the fact that she was in DEATH SENTENCE, which is an outstanding film if you haven't seen it, is another plus. I don't think her skin colour or gender matter one way or the other, that really shouldn't be a factor in choosing a new host, especially given the condescending way the article mentions it.
More condescending than not even getting her name right? Are you one of those that’s been talking about “Alec Trebek” all these years?
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:52 pm
RKane wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 am I think Aisha Taylor would be an excellent choice, maybe the best possible choice (I used to think it would be neat if Ken or Brad took the job, but I no longer think so). Certainly the fact that she was in DEATH SENTENCE, which is an outstanding film if you haven't seen it, is another plus. I don't think her skin colour or gender matter one way or the other, that really shouldn't be a factor in choosing a new host, especially given the condescending way the article mentions it.
More condescending than not even getting her name right? Are you one of those that’s been talking about “Alec Trebek” all these years?
Touche, sir. Well played. Anyways I edited my post not because I want to hide my faults and mistakes which I am acknowledging here, but out of respect.

Anyways, yes, it was more condescending than my honest mistake. The way the article says "EVEN a person of color" rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe just me though in which case I'll forget it.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I wouldn’t care what boxes are checked off—I just want to see someone who is capable and credible as the host of the show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

okstater04 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:50 am Keep the same initials - Aisha Tyler. Woman of color, intelligent, gamer, young, graduated from Dartmouth, experience with The Talk and Whose Line, did Celebrity Jeopardy. Done.
Would she be available when needed? I haven't heard anything about her not being in the last 10 episodes of Criminal Minds last season.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

What about someone from NPR such as Ari Shapiro or Audie Cornish? They both have excellent voices that I would gladly listen to for 61 clues and check these imaginary "boxes" that are being thrown around. Also, All Things Considered isn't as polarizing as some cable news channels, so Jeopardy wouldn't have to worry as much about alienating part of its audience by choosing an MSNBC or CNN anchor.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Reba McEntire featured prominently on J! Instagram. I know this is probably a CMA tie-in, but any chance she's a contender?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm Reba McEntire featured prominently on J! Instagram. I know this is probably a CMA tie-in, but any chance she's a contender?
I’m just not seeing it!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

just use a computer to read off the questions and be done with it...the host isn't all that important...less chit chat from the host and more trivia questions
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 pm just use a computer to read off the questions and be done with it...the host isn't all that important...less chit chat from the host and more trivia questions
At some point, you may want to consider the possibility that not everyone views the world the same way that you do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:20 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 pm just use a computer to read off the questions and be done with it...the host isn't all that important...less chit chat from the host and more trivia questions
At some point, you may want to consider the possibility that not everyanyone views the world the same way that you do.
FTFY.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:20 pm
At some point, you may want to consider the possibility that not everyone views the world the same way that you do.
i can see the general population who watches as a form of entertainment...but a trivia person (well this one anyway) wants more trivia and less fluff...i get pizzed off at the pub trivia events i attend when the host just rambles on...yeah i get they want people to stay for a certain amt of time and spend such and such money, but why not just add more questions to the game and keep the fluff to a minimum
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The apparent solution to your dilemma would be to stay home and read a trivia book.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:22 pm The apparent solution to your dilemma would be to stay home and read a trivia book.
can't win beer that way, dude
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I would like the replacement to be a hologram of Alex Trebek.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.