LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:28 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:50 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:51 pm I finished in 89th in the VP quiz. I would have been 47th if he had taken Bensten for Bentsen.
Well done. I stayed away from that one but did take a look at the answers hoping to learn something

Visual Art: Group 67
Group 47 for me.
Expecting great things for both of us!

The individual Art scores for the players in my group range from 0.125 to 0.772! The group average is 0.528 compared to the league average of 0.382. Should be some interesting match-ups
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:02 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:28 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:50 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:51 pm I finished in 89th in the VP quiz. I would have been 47th if he had taken Bensten for Bentsen.
Well done. I stayed away from that one but did take a look at the answers hoping to learn something

Visual Art: Group 67
Group 47 for me.
Expecting great things for both of us!

The individual Art scores for the players in my group range from 0.125 to 0.772! The group average is 0.528 compared to the league average of 0.382. Should be some interesting match-ups
You have more confidence in me than I do. However, I just checked my group and found that it has an inordinate number of E Rundlers and Rookies in it. In fact, the only other participant with an Art get rate above .500 is PetersonGG, also the other A Rundler in the group. I mostly signed up for this ML to improve my Art get rate, which is only higher than my Bus/Econ and TV get rates.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Not sure how you get to Kahlo/Rivera from a photo of 2 small, adjacent houses with a bunch of cactus plants. Sure, I considered them based on the husband/wife clue, but went with O’Keefe/ Stieglitz
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:06 am Not sure how you get to Kahlo/Rivera from a photo of 2 small, adjacent houses with a bunch of cactus plants. Sure, I considered them based on the husband/wife clue, but went with O’Keefe/ Stieglitz
For me it was essentially a coin flip, Mexico and New Mexico could both have cacti, so I didn't have any great logic in picking Frida over Georgia. Others pointed out that Steiglitz is greatly associated with New York, and not so much living in New Mexico with his wife, so that would be one useful bit of info.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Didn't even see the cactus plants. I went with Krasner Pollock.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Playing at home I said Christo and Jeanne-Claude.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:29 am Playing at home I said Christo and Jeanne-Claude.
This was all I had as a guess, except that I couldn't even remember Christo's wife's name!

I also switched from tempera to fresco, though I still would have lost.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:09 am
morbeedo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:06 am Not sure how you get to Kahlo/Rivera from a photo of 2 small, adjacent houses with a bunch of cactus plants. Sure, I considered them based on the husband/wife clue, but went with O’Keefe/ Stieglitz
For me it was essentially a coin flip, Mexico and New Mexico could both have cacti, so I didn't have any great logic in picking Frida over Georgia. Others pointed out that Steiglitz is greatly associated with New York, and not so much living in New Mexico with his wife, so that would be one useful bit of info.
The bold colors could be considered another hint of sorts. Taos Is mostly earth colors, but that presupposes some familiarity with the region.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

The Blue House/La Casa Azul shows up in Julie Taymor's movie Frida, IIRC.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Anyone else finding the Art ML absurdly easy? So much for ModKos R. (MD3 was a lil harder, almost everyone flunked the Weems question, but still much easier than what I would imagine ModKos R to be)

I am 3rd in my group with 17/18 right, for cripes sake.

EDIT: Nonetheless, still a very enjoyable ML. I particularly enjoyed the Bosch question.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BRD-98 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:50 pm Anyone else finding the Art ML absurdly easy? So much for ModKos R. (MD3 was a lil harder, almost everyone flunked the Weems question, but still much easier than what I would imagine ModKos R to be)

I am 3rd in my group with 17/18 right, for cripes sake.

EDIT: Nonetheless, still a very enjoyable ML. I particularly enjoyed the Bosch question.
IMO, this one's on the easier side, but not absurdly easy. I'll be lucky to finish in the top 2 with just 13/18 TCA so far

I couldn't come up with The Dinner Party, but I'm sure I've seen this question before.

The questions so far seem to favor French / European art

Did you play my recent 'hot and bothered art challenge' on Alpaca Farm?

Meanwhile, I don't remember signing up for True Crime!
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

BRD-98 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:50 pm Anyone else finding the Art ML absurdly easy?
Yeah, I'd like to see more difficult questions along the lines of the Weems one (which I absolutely did not get) mixed in with the standard fare like Bosch, Whistler, Manet, etc.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

ilcap wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:33 pm
BRD-98 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:50 pm Anyone else finding the Art ML absurdly easy?
Yeah, I'd like to see more difficult questions along the lines of the Weems one (which I absolutely did not get) mixed in with the standard fare like Bosch, Whistler, Manet, etc.
This is exactly why me and my 32% art score am not playing this ML. I've been following along and I think I've got 4/18 right. Never heard of most of the answers.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

The True Crime ML is significantly more difficult already. My first opponent and I tied with 3(1). I still don't know who that picture is of even after seeing the answer.
classicroadster

RJRouge wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:49 pm The True Crime ML is significantly more difficult already. My first opponent and I tied with 3(1). I still don't know who that picture is of even after seeing the answer.
Its the woman from Theranos, although I could not pull her name. I won 3(2) - 0(1) getting Pappy Van Winkle and Lufthansa. I didn't even need the picture for the Lufthansa one.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:58 pm
RJRouge wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:49 pm The True Crime ML is significantly more difficult already. My first opponent and I tied with 3(1). I still don't know who that picture is of even after seeing the answer.
Its the woman from Theranos, although I could not pull her name. I won 3(2) - 0(1) getting Pappy Van Winkle and Lufthansa. I didn't even need the picture for the Lufthansa one.
I submitted Theranos and slapped my head on the reveal. 0 right in True Crime, 5 in Visual Art ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:00 pm
I submitted Theranos and slapped my head on the reveal. 0 right in True Crime, 5 in Visual Art ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
why didn't you take the alpaca true crime quiz?
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I don't know what Theranos is, either.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Lost Visual Art to a Jeopardy! champ because I stupidly submitted Inca for the Nazca lines question. At best, I would have tied, since we both gave each other 3 for the Maja question
classicroadster

RJRouge wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:54 am
I don't know what Theranos is, either.
Theranos was a company that created an at-home method of blood testing for many many diseases and other such stuff using only a drop of blood. They raised a ton of money based on the promise of this amazing technology that no other doctor or company could figure out. Spoiler alert, this is not possible and was total BS. The woman who created it is Elizabeth Holmes (I now know) who is in some trouble. There is a documentary out about it now, and I remember seeing a 60 minutes piece last year.