Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

The show is back with new episodes. Davira Kuy had J! champ Dan Avila ready as his +1 to help with the right answer.

Money level and correct answer only:
Spoiler
$2000 for A Fistful of Dollars
Comment on one of the prior questions:
Spoiler
Chris was set up to scare Tony McGrail as with four NFL cities, Tony identified Dallas as the Stars when looking for a Destiny's Child song when repeated three times among the teams in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas and Buffalo. Fortunately his error did not matter as he knew "Bills, Bills, Bills" matched with Buffalo.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i don't usually root against people on millionaire, but i want this dude not to get to 5000....
Spoiler
using a lifeline on 2 of the 1st 3 questions? taking all that time for such simple stuff and wasting the viewers' time...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:36 pm i don't usually root against people on millionaire, but i want this dude not to get to 5000....
Spoiler
using a lifeline on 2 of the 1st 3 questions? taking all that time for such simple stuff and wasting the viewers' time...
It’s very different when you’re up there
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf

Post by Golf »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:36 pm i don't usually root against people on millionaire, but i want this dude not to get to 5000....
Spoiler
using a lifeline on 2 of the 1st 3 questions? taking all that time for such simple stuff and wasting the viewers' time...GTFO
triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 pm It’s very different when you’re up there
Not for everyone.

Compared to Jeopardy, Millionaire really isn't that difficult. The answer is always right in front of you and there is zero time pressure. Two things that make Jeopardy a much different animal.

I think we can agree based on this contestant's knowledge holes, it wouldn't have made much difference from his couch.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 pm
Spoiler
yeah i get that nerves can come into play, but how does one need to use a lifeline for
Spoiler
the bible question when queens was a choice....pretty sure queens didn come about til like 1800 years later or so
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm
Spoiler
yeah i get that nerves can come into play, but how does one need to use a lifeline for
Spoiler
the bible question when queens was a choice....pretty sure queens didn come about til like 1800 years later or so
didn't see it, don't know the question. that stage just has a way to make you lose your mind and forget everything you know.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm
Spoiler
using a lifeline on 2 of the 1st 3 questions? taking all that time for such simple stuff and wasting the viewers' time...GTFO
triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 pm It’s very different when you’re up there
Not for everyone.

Compared to Jeopardy, Millionaire really isn't that difficult. The answer is always right in front of you and there is zero time pressure. Two things that make Jeopardy a much different animal.

I think we can agree based on this contestant's knowledge holes, it wouldn't have made much difference from his couch.
If you take enough time, they will move you along, there isn't zero time pressure. There is the pressure of one wrong and done, and that is a huge difference. As much as I didn't like the clock, I would've done much better if there was a ticking one so I wouldn't have been able to talk myself out of stuff I knew.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Spoiler
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm yeah i get that nerves can come into play, but how does one need to use a lifeline for
Spoiler
triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:35 pm didn't see it, don't know the question. that stage just has a way to make you lose your mind and forget everything you know.
In this case, perhaps you should actually see the questions and how the contestant dealt with them before you speak in generalities regarding the lights and the stage, etc.

Spoiler
Golf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm Not for everyone.

triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 pm If you take enough time, they will move you along, there isn't zero time pressure. There is the pressure of one wrong and done, and that is a huge difference. As much as I didn't like the clock, I would've done much better if there was a ticking one so I wouldn't have been able to talk myself out of stuff I knew.
The only time pressure is that which the contestants put on themselves.

Why would any contestant worry about getting one wrong? You have a plan in place beforehand to deal with not being sure with answers at various dollar levels and execute that plan.
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
What was the question? Certainly such women exist in the Bible.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Question #1: Some versions of the Nativity story identify the Three Wise Men who visit the baby Jesus as kings of all but which of the following places?

Sheba
Egypt
Arabia
Queens
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I thought Davira was acting in the first question. :shock:
Douglas Squasoni
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

I smell a million dollar Kevin James pitch.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm Question #1: Some versions of the Nativity story identify the Three Wise Men who visit the baby Jesus as kings of all but which of the following places?

Sheba
Egypt
Arabia
Queens
Thanks. Sometimes capitalization conveys a meaning...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:47 pm
That is not true. Technically, you have a lot of time, BUT. They describe the process. At first, Chris hurries you along gently. Then he gets less gentle. If need be, a producer comes out and tells you you need to answer. At some point, they can decide you've had enough time and aren't making any progress and will count you wrong. And you have the audience and crew starting to get antsy, which you can feel. There is DEFINITELY time pressure. It's not Jeopardy time pressure, but it is pressure nonetheless.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I liked how gentle Chris was with Davira to get him through the $500 Q. The producers never know how someone will react once they get up there. He clearly let his nerves get the better of him.

I got the DeNiro question right for the wrong reason ... I definitely couldn't think of anything with Lion, but I thought he might have been in Reservoir Dogs. Oops! Hey, it still counts ...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 am I liked how gentle Chris was with Davira to get him through the $500 Q. The producers never know how someone will react once they get up there. He clearly let his nerves get the better of him.

I got the DeNiro question right for the wrong reason ... I definitely couldn't think of anything with Lion, but I thought he might have been in Reservoir Dogs. Oops! Hey, it still counts ...
My De Niro recall had neither "Dog" movie and in remembering Dog Day Afternoon was a Pacino thought perhaps "Dog" was the way to go. For a "Lion" movie the only titles I had were Secondhand Lions, The Lion in Winter and Paper Lion while not feeling any of those for De Niro. The 50:50 probably would have left those two.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:11 am
alietr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 am I liked how gentle Chris was with Davira to get him through the $500 Q. The producers never know how someone will react once they get up there. He clearly let his nerves get the better of him.

My De Niro recall had neither "Dog" movie and in remembering Dog Day Afternoon was a Pacino thought perhaps "Dog" was the way to go. For a "Lion" movie the only titles I had were Secondhand Lions, The Lion in Winter and Paper Lion while not feeling any of those for De Niro. The 50:50 probably would have left those two.
To clarify, when I said I couldn't think of anything with Lion in it, I meant that had DeNiro in it. Secondhand Lions occurred to me, but I knew that wasn't him. The other two I never would have associated with him. Interestingly enough, I watched Brazil this weekend, which had him in it. That was one weird movie. But I expected that. Even weirder having him in it ... he must have been the only American.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 am
That is not true. Technically, you have a lot of time, BUT. They describe the process. At first, Chris hurries you along gently. Then he gets less gentle. If need be, a producer comes out and tells you you need to answer. At some point, they can decide you've had enough time and aren't making any progress and will count you wrong. And you have the audience and crew starting to get antsy, which you can feel. There is DEFINITELY time pressure. It's not Jeopardy time pressure, but it is pressure nonetheless.
Perhaps Golf should actually read the rules before he speaks in generalities regarding something he knows nothing about...but that would be new territory, so I don't expect it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:15 pm
Perhaps Golf should actually read the rules before he speaks in generalities regarding something he knows nothing about...but that would be new territory, so I don't expect it.
Golf has shared more than once about his experience on the show. Six figures with Regis. He may not be exactly familiar with the rules in the Chris Harrison and syndicated era though using "knows nothing about" is off base.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:22 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:15 pm
Golf has shared more than once about his experience on the show. Six figures with Regis. He may not be exactly familiar with the rules in the Chris Harrison and syndicated era though using "knows nothing about" is off base.
If he hasn't read them, which he obviously hasn't, then "knows nothing about" is on target regarding the false information he stated.