Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:30 am never heard of her before
The two great underappreciated backing bassists of the '60s are Carol Kaye and James Jamerson.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

ChexMix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:16 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 am James's run so far has reminded me of the Vosbergh era of Jeopardy!, and I love the relative lack of Lach trash. James is not only on pace to smash Austin Rodgers's record for most money won in the first five games, but he's also on pace to break Vosbergh benefactor Frank Spangenberg's record for first 5 ADJ. James may not be an all-time great buzzer, but his ability to keep the Lach trash down to where it was in the Vosbergh era when the questions were deliberately easier shows his depth of knowledge.
Roger Craig holds the record for most money won in the first 5 games with 195,801. Austin is 2nd in the unadjusted totals with 188,700. Of course, James is still on pace to break the record regardless.
Cat Hammarskjold is correct. "First 5 adjusted" doubles pre-2001 values. Frank Spangenberg is the only player to break $200,000 in his first five games.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:48 pm
SteelyPat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 pm I have a feeling things are going to get interesting around here over the next few days/weeks, and not really in a good way.

I think this weird, old thread is about to become relevant again:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5006
Jeez, did you even bother to read to the end of the thread you cite to? If you had, you would have known that the wager referred to in that thread happened prior to January, which was well before James's tape dates. It's annoying how some people are using the most ridiculous excuses to throw shade at a player who's performing at the level of the all-time greats.
I can't deny that this crossed my mind as well, simply because of James's penchant for unusual numbers. I don't think the other poster meant that he had done it on purpose. But then I remembered that the matter had been resolved long ago. I had forgotten that it was so long ago that it even was before his tape dates.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said Black Francis instead of Frank Black. Judges?
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am If I was in James's shoes I would be kicking myself over not knowing the NFL kick moved back to the 15-yard line more than being excited over the big win on day 3.
I was very surprised that a fellow who works up close with sports betting would not know that one. But ya know, if that's what passes for a weakness in his game, then I can let it slide.

I'm still not crazy about starting categories on the bottom row or the quirky numbers he wagers, but give the guy his due. $133K is spectacular for anyone, but doing that in only three wins is insane.

I actually remember hearing about the passing of the last Munchkin, so I'm not surprised two of them got it. "Last surviving member of a famous group from a well-known 1939 movie?" WECIB? Unless you're talking about the Confederate Army extras in GWTW.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What makes people think he didn't know PAT? I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet a lot that he knew it. You only have a few seconds to process the clue, and sometimes you just plain get it wrong in your head or you don't realize what they were looking for or you hesitate just long enough that time runs out. There's little doubt he knew the answer.
SteelyPat
Contributor

Post by SteelyPat »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:48 pm
SteelyPat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 pm I have a feeling things are going to get interesting around here over the next few days/weeks, and not really in a good way.

I think this weird, old thread is about to become relevant again:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5006
Jeez, did you even bother to read to the end of the thread you cite to? If you had, you would have known that the wager referred to in that thread happened prior to January, which was well before James's tape dates. It's annoying how some people are using the most ridiculous excuses to throw shade at a player who's performing at the level of the all-time greats.
I can't deny that this crossed my mind as well, simply because of James's penchant for unusual numbers. I don't think the other poster meant that he had done it on purpose. But then I remembered that the matter had been resolved long ago. I had forgotten that it was so long ago that it even was before his tape dates.
Yeah, that was a pretty insomnia-fueled post that made even less sense than I thought it did at the time. I was trying to comment on how it seemed like we were in for another situation where peoples' interpretations of others' actions were about to come into play because I had seen two posts on two different platforms (I was intending to, but forgot to add a link) where someone had taken issue with the way James stylized the s in his name, much like the apparent issue with the wager amount from some time ago. Anyway, apologies for the incoherence.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:08 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:30 am never heard of her before
The two great underappreciated backing bassists of the '60s are Carol Kaye and James Jamerson.
Kaye did play on a lot of hits but I'd argue that the late Joe Osborn was a greater figure. Kaye has claimed that she played on a lot of the great Motown singles and not Jamerson. She is thoroughly confused but arrogant about it; Motown did do some west coast rerecordings but the originals are by Jamerson. They have completely different styles as Kaye played with a pick and Jamerson used his fingers standup bass style.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Fuel Tanks, Extra Point Kick, Mediocre, Passable
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

WHO'S ON TV?

I said iZombie and was surprised when I heard iCarly was the correct response! A little knowledge...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 am I said Black Francis instead of Frank Black. Judges?
That was his stage name and how he was credited on all their albums. I can't see how it could be negged.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 am James's run so far has reminded me of the Vosbergh era of Jeopardy!, and I love the relative lack of Lach trash. James is not only on pace to smash Austin Rodgers's record for most money won in the first five games, but he's also on pace to break Vosbergh benefactor Frank Spangenberg's record for first 5 ADJ. James may not be an all-time great buzzer, but his ability to keep the Lach trash down to where it was in the Vosbergh era when the questions were deliberately easier shows his depth of knowledge.
Here's a fun fact about Roger. If he bet in the same manner as Frank (i.e., maximal safe bet every time) he would have shattered Goatenberg's record and won $217,799 (taking into account Roger's missed question on his fourth day). I don't love the idea of anyone breaking Frank's record (something about the fact it has stood for 29 years while other records come and go tugs at the heartstrings) but if someone has to, it may as well be James.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 am I said Black Francis instead of Frank Black. Judges?
That was his stage name and how he was credited on all their albums. I can't see how it could be negged.
I said Black Francis, too. I assume it's good. Probably would have taken me a few seconds to come up with Frank Black.

This should have been an easy FJ and I'm sure it will poll high given the 1939 hint, but it went right over my head. I came up with "Our Gang."
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:31 pm
This should have been an easy FJ and I'm sure it will poll high given the 1939 hint, but it went right over my head. I came up with "Our Gang."

Same. I don't like missing movie clues, and, yes 1939 is Pavlovian for GWTW and TWoO (and moreover I can name all the BP noms from that year) but I was thinking in terms of a group like the Rat Pack or the Brat Pack or some other such Pack, and nothing from the era came to mind. I specifically thought of The Wizard of Oz due to the 1939 pavlov and didn't even spend one second considering Munchkins.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

RKane wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 pm Same. I don't like missing movie clues, and, yes 1939 is Pavlovian for GWTW and TWoO (and moreover I can name all the BP noms from that year) but I was thinking in terms of a group like the Rat Pack or the Brat Pack or some other such Pack, and nothing from the era came to mind. I specifically thought of The Wizard of Oz due to the 1939 pavlov and didn't even spend one second considering Munchkins.
This is pretty much exactly why I missed it too.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Woof wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Frank Black is also a stage name (used for his non-Pixies work). But, yes, I agree that either name would be acceptable.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,800
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: extra point, mediocre

I also went with Black Francis, although I would have been ready to blurt out "Frank Black" had Alex hesitated to rule me correct.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

harrumph wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 amI'd argue that the late Joe Osborn was a greater figure
Somehow I didn't know his name but looks like he played on some great songs with some memorable basslines.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:10 pm
RobW wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:50 pmI find his consistent FJ shout outs interesting as further confirmation of subtler strengths:
-rapid FJ knowledge (no surprise, given his regular game play)
-confidence (presuming that he's only wasting time on a shoutout if he KNOWs he's right)
-fast on the light pen (minor, but important in FJ!)
Let's wait until he faces a few more FJ!s that aren't gimmes before jumping to conclusions, shall we?
After nine additional examples, I stand by my point:

The fact that JH consistently has time to scribble a shout out alongside his (92%-correct-so-far) FJ responses has me as impressed as any other aspect of this mammoth run.

100 games or bust! :D
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman