Tuesday, April 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That was damn impressive no matter how you slice it.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

an espn article about today's episode says he graduated from uni of illinois and helped run a poker strat site...wonder if that site was cardrunners? it was created by 2 uni of illinois dudes around that time
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

James is simply awesome. Once he gets on a roll, he just overwhelms his challengers with his deep knowledge base, knocking off the high-dollar clues with little effort and leaving less-valued clues for his opponents that don't amount to much. Certainly has the potential for a long run. I can't repeat what I said out loud when James' FJ wager was revealed but it was followed by a huge laugh.

He does make me nervous, though, with his huge DD wagers. I suspect that's how anyone will come close to defeating him: hoping he wagers big on a DD and misses. No sign of that happening, though...yet.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 44,400
52 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

Geez. That was amazing. And against a quiz bowl legend.

My viewing experience was extremely anticlimactic. I had heard the rumblings about the 1-day record falling, so I had some idea of what I was in for. A friend sent me copies of yesterday's and today's episodes, which were the first times I had gotten to see James play. For whatever reason, though, the recording cut off with ~10 clues to go in DJ!, so I had to play the rest of the game from the Archive and didn't get to actually see James's DD3 or FJ! COME ON!
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Well, I can finally stop imagining a world in which I have the single-day J! record (actual and imaginary scenarios reiterated in spoiler space below).
Spoiler
In my third game, I had $20,600 to my next opponent's $6,800 with two categories left and both DDs still hidden in DJ. I hunted at the $2,000 space. It wasn't there, I didn't know it, my opponent negged, no one else rang in, it was now $20,600 to $4,800. I went one up to the $1,600 clue, and it was a DD. The $2,000 clue scared me, so I want to go easy, plus I already had a runaway; I bet $1,400. It was an instaget. Now I suddenly decided I liked the category and I decided instead of jumping to $1,600 in the other category, I wanted to be sporting, so I went up one again to the $1,200 clue. I didn't know it, my opponent did, he went up to $6,000 and went for the other category's $2,000 clue. Not a DD, he knew it, I didn't, now he had $8,000, he went up one and it was a DD. He bet $6,000, we both knew it, and then the game was open again. I didn't get anything after my DD, and he ended up with $14,400 at the end of the round. Luckily I got FJ right, otherwise my late DJ failures would have been a source of genuine regret.

How I imagine it having gone:
After the $2,000 TS I realize that the category GONE COUNTRY is about countries that no longer exist, and can draw confidence from that. Plus I have plenty of wiggle room in my runaway position, so I bet $10,000 and go up to $30,600. Then I properly jump to the other $1,600 clue and figure, what the hey, I was willing to drop to $10,600 before so why not take that risk again, and bet $20,000. I get it right and go to $50,600. I get blanked on the rest of the clues (as I actually did) and my opponent gets up to $8,400. The FJ category is U.S. PRESIDENTS, a strong subject, I have the record in reach, and so I bet my maximum, $33,799, and take the record with $84,399 (which Roger Craig couldn't have safely cleared in his record game).

(Although even bigger DD wagers could have put me in a position to clear $100k in FJ, $10,000 and $20,000 feel like risks I realistically would have taken.)
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

posting in this historic thread.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I'm interested to see now if James is able to break his own record during his run. It's possible, isn't it? once he's won plenty of money and games, he might decide to go more reckless with his wagering and it might work out for him.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:02 am I'm interested to see now if James is able to break his own record during his run. It's possible, isn't it? once he's won plenty of money and games, he might decide to go more reckless with his wagering and it might work out for him.
Could have gotten to 140k today without any recklessness, at least with regards to winning the game.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:02 pm James can't go below $17201. 46800-17201=29599. We agree. 46800+29599=76,399 where James did +$25K instead. Sameer ending up having 7000 for the FJ! round or possible 14K total. James can drop to 14001 with 76,399-62,398=14001. To the good would be 76,399 + 62,398 = $138,797.
That's how I also calculated it initially, but then I realized he added another 800 after DD3, so his pre-FJ total would have been 77199, and from there we get to $140,397.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Clues that had my head spinning:
What are Wobblies?
What is Norwegian Wood?
What is Pitchfork?

In the documentary Free Solo, they give Alex Honnold an MRI and find he has very low activity in the amygdala, i.e. he literally has no fear. I wonder if James would submit to a scan? I could see myself making a big wager only after winning a few games, and then drawing a total blank on a relatively easy clue

Not to reignite controversy, but I notice the Humbled section of the King James website has been changed to Hopefuls and the photos of the vanquished replaced with names and air dates. I won’t speculate on the identity of the man behind the curtain
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 pm $13K for James at the end of the Jeopardy round, without even finding the DD!
FWIW the Daily Double was found on clue 2.
Still, it was a bottom row clue and he bet the maximum $1000 he could at the time, which means his $13K total at the end of the first round was also his Coryat score. In that case, I wonder if his $13K is the highest individual Coryat at the end of the J! round.

Anyway, $110K+ in one day is an incredible feat, and James made it look effortless. Can't wait to see what else he does.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

The Talking Mime wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 am I wonder if his $13K is the highest individual Coryat at the end of the J! round.
In Ken's 75K game he had an all-Coryat $14,400 after the J! round. I'm pretty sure there were others, but that's the first game I looked at.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:15 am With DD3 hiding and the scoreboard rout on it was obvious that if James could find DD3 he could take a run at Roger's record. Each clue selection was a hold-the -breath moment with the search ongoing. I exhaled each time a pick by the challengers did not have the DD sound effect go off. Finally James found the last DD hiding in an 800 box.
Same here. That was edge-of-the-seat stuff for sure.

We should probably start using a log scale on these graphs:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, now that he is officially Jeopardy-famous, I wonder how he will do in representing the show. They were lucky that Ken was as genial and humble as he was.

Sameer certainly didn't represent much of a speed bump. I was expecting a much better performance out of him given all of the hype, but those were some bad misses. James seems to be one with the buzzer. Wasn't anyone else getting in on most of those contested ones.
billiej

Post by billiej »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 am Clues that had my head spinning:
What are Wobblies?
What is Norwegian Wood?
What is Pitchfork?

In the documentary Free Solo, they give Alex Honnold an MRI and find he has very low activity in the amygdala, i.e. he literally has no fear. I wonder if James would submit to a scan? I could see myself making a big wager only after winning a few games, and then drawing a total blank on a relatively easy clue

Not to reignite controversy, but I notice the Humbled section of the King James website has been changed to Hopefuls and the photos of the vanquished replaced with names and air dates. I won’t speculate on the identity of the man behind the curtain
I just saw Free Solo this past weekend. My understanding was not that he had no fear, but that he required much stronger stimuli in order to ignite that portion of his brain. My interpretation: he is basically self medicating, only with rock climbing rather than drugs or other substances. A fascinating story in any event. And much like with this game, even though I pretty much knew the outcome, I still held my breath at times!!

Norwegian Wood was an instaget, but I've NHO wobblies, nor pitchfork in this context.

As for the website, I've not commented on it since I don't know anyone involved and have not even looked at it. My 2cents (which probably isn't even worth that much): of all the things people have said about James, no one has accused him of being stupid. I'll leave it at that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've heard of Pitchfork magazine, but for some reason, the "pointy" TOM led me to Slant, which didn't quite fit.

I did know "Norwegian Wood", though.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

billiej wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:37 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 am Clues that had my head spinning:
What are Wobblies?
What is Norwegian Wood?
What is Pitchfork?

I just saw Free Solo this past weekend. My understanding was not that he had no fear, but that he required much stronger stimuli in order to ignite that portion of his brain. My interpretation: he is basically self medicating, only with rock climbing rather than drugs or other substances. A fascinating story in any event. And much like with this game, even though I pretty much knew the outcome, I still held my breath at times!!

Norwegian Wood was an instaget, but I've NHO wobblies, nor pitchfork in this context.

As for the website, I've not commented on it since I don't know anyone involved and have not even looked at it. My 2cents (which probably isn't even worth that much): of all the things people have said about James, no one has accused him of being stupid. I'll leave it at that.
but there are plenty of supposedly smart people that do plenty of stupid things
Total game show career losings = $171,522
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Just a few comments about this game:

1. Two people who actually qualified for this show actually did not know that the crew of the Enterprise beamed down with the help of a TRANSPORTER???!!! For shame!

b. NHO "dead cat bounce," but I may have to add it to my vocabulary.

iii. I thought the song lyric was "He ain't heavy, he's just bulky."

And oh, yeah, the game itself.....

That clattering sound you may have heard is my eyeballs popping out of my skull and rolling around on the floor. James' performance truly defied description. Just for the record, is his $25,000 on DD3 the largest DD wager ever? and is his FJ wager in this game the largest ever in that category? I have to imagine so.

When you combine a good knowledge base with wicked buzzer skills with the wagering nerve of a, well, professional gambler, that's an impressive combination. My wife actually hasn't watched J! for a while now (don't know why I stay with her, but I do anyway), and I told her after this game, "Honey, you may really have to watch tomorrow night." This is history in the making.

Just hope AT didn't put the triple-whammy jinx on the guy by mentioning the name that must not be mentioned.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm Well, that was a televised murder. Holy shit.

Also, if they going to keep serving up FJs like this, just cut him a check for a million now and save the trouble.
Knowing this guy from watching four games, I'm guessing he would say "No thanks" and see if he could make more than that on his own.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

John Boy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 pm Just for the record, is his $25,000 on DD3 the largest DD wager ever? and is his FJ wager in this game the largest ever in that category?
Yes and yes.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
billiej

Post by billiej »

John Boy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 pm b. NHO "dead cat bounce," but I may have to add it to my vocabulary.
I could swear my cats gave me a dirty look when I shouted that out. Even weirder is I actually apologized to them. :lol: