Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:11 am
alietr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 am I liked how gentle Chris was with Davira to get him through the $500 Q. The producers never know how someone will react once they get up there. He clearly let his nerves get the better of him.

I got the DeNiro question right for the wrong reason ... I definitely couldn't think of anything with Lion, but I thought he might have been in Reservoir Dogs. Oops! Hey, it still counts ...
My De Niro recall had neither "Dog" movie and in remembering Dog Day Afternoon was a Pacino thought perhaps "Dog" was the way to go. For a "Lion" movie the only titles I had were Secondhand Lions, The Lion in Winter and Paper Lion while not feeling any of those for De Niro. The 50:50 probably would have left those two.
Dog Day Afternoon was exactly what I thought of, and I assumed that the writers were hoping to get some crossed Pacino/De Niro lines to get a player to erroneously rule it out, so I probably would have chosen Lion and lost.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:55 pm If he hasn't read them, which he obviously hasn't, then "knows nothing about" is on target regarding the false information he stated.
Believe it or not, I am aware of the current rule set. No, you cannot mull over a question for 12 days. However, having several minutes at a bare minimum to mull over a question is more than enough time to make an informed decision without feeling pressure. I've said it many times, the reason contestants feel pressure is because they don't have a plan. And trying to formulate a plan under the lights in the heat of battle doesn't work very well.

So since (according to you) I'm woefully ignorant on this topic, let me pose a question. Has a contestant (outside of when the questions were timed) ever stalled so long to be declared wrong? I do know that in the Regis version a contestant took 51 minutes to answer a question. I am not aware of a contestant being literally kicked off stage, so until that happens, exactly how much pressure can the host really put on a contestant? So yeah, I'm standing by my statement of there being no time pressure in this iteration of the game.

So when it comes down to it, very few contestants actually know how to really play the game. No different than Jeopardy.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:39 pm Have any other people gone from Thousandaire to the main game? That was weird to see him again.
Add Michael Brannen to the list when he airs on April 15. Here's his Thousandaire question from last season:
アタックチャンス!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:55 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:55 pm If he hasn't read them, which he obviously hasn't, then "knows nothing about" is on target regarding the false information he stated.
Believe it or not, I am aware of the current rule set. No, you cannot mull over a question for 12 days. However, having several minutes at a bare minimum to mull over a question is more than enough time to make an informed decision without feeling pressure. I've said it many times, the reason contestants feel pressure is because they don't have a plan. And trying to formulate a plan under the lights in the heat of battle doesn't work very well.

So since (according to you) I'm woefully ignorant on this topic, let me pose a question. Has a contestant (outside of when the questions were timed) ever stalled so long to be declared wrong? I do know that in the Regis version a contestant took 51 minutes to answer a question. I am not aware of a contestant being literally kicked off stage, so until that happens, exactly how much pressure can the host really put on a contestant? So yeah, I'm standing by my statement of there being no time pressure in this iteration of the game.

So when it comes down to it, very few contestants actually know how to really play the game. No different than Jeopardy.
To begin with, I never said 12 days.

Also, while none that we know of have been kicked off (there have been a few contestants whose segments never aired, so it could've happened and we wouldn't have seen it), I have been there when the producer came out to a long-stalling contestant and pretty much flat out said, "do it again and you're outta here". While that wouldn't meet your criteria of being "declared wrong", yes, they can and will impose a time limit.

Having a plan can also go completely out the window if you crack as we have seen so many people do in that game.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm To begin with, I never said 12 days.

Also, while none that we know of have been kicked off (there have been a few contestants whose segments never aired, so it could've happened and we wouldn't have seen it), I have been there when the producer came out to a long-stalling contestant and pretty much flat out said, "do it again and you're outta here". While that wouldn't meet your criteria of being "declared wrong", yes, they can and will impose a time limit.

Having a plan can also go completely out the window if you crack as we have seen so many people do in that game.
So, to establish some sort of time limit, approximately how long had this contestant been stalling on the question when the producer said this?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" -- Mike Tyson
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Got the Samuel Pepys "and so to bed" before the choices came up.

For Lauren, Neptune was discovered in 1846.

An easy $100,000 today which I got before the choices came up despite not being a big fan of governmental stuff. Cabinet Departments and functions are the basics in my opinion.
Douglas Squasoni
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm So, to establish some sort of time limit, approximately how long had this contestant been stalling on the question when the producer said this?
I'll jump in for this one. During the briefing with the show's lawyer, we were told the producer would appear after "about three minutes."
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

kprather895 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm So, to establish some sort of time limit, approximately how long had this contestant been stalling on the question when the producer said this?
I'll jump in for this one. During the briefing with the show's lawyer, we were told the producer would appear after "about three minutes."
Missed this when it was posted, but it is "at producer's discretion" which is clearly stated (and here I go beating that same drum again) IN THE RULES.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm Got the Samuel Pepys "and so to bed" before the choices came up.

An easy $100,000 today which I got before the choices came up despite not being a big fan of governmental stuff. Cabinet Departments and functions are the basics in my opinion.
Yeah, that $100k was a slam dunk. I was surprised they couldn't come up with it, especially since Ross has been in the news lately with the proposed citizenship question. Not to diminish her accomplishment, but that was a pretty easy stack. Clear sailing for me.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm Got the Samuel Pepys "and so to bed" before the choices came up.

Yeah, that $100k was a slam dunk. I was surprised they couldn't come up with it, especially since Ross has been in the news lately with the proposed citizenship question. Not to diminish her accomplishment, but that was a pretty easy stack. Clear sailing for me.
I would just say they should have known it, not because of current events. You know full well this show was taped 8-9 months ago.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 am

I would just say they should have known it, not because of current events. You know full well this show was taped 8-9 months ago.
One more vote of many here who had Census=Commerce without choices. It was cool to learn that Lauren was a +1 and the producers liked her enough to do a switch roles. For Disney I was only able to recall the state and was happy when it was not a recall the specific town.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:17 am Missed this when it was posted, but it is "at producer's discretion" which is clearly stated (and here I go beating that same drum again) IN THE RULES.
Since I was not there and you were, I would still appreciate an answer to my above question. Thanks.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 am

True that. While it wasn't as big a story back then, it had been in the news.

I was proud of nailing Givenchy without the choices.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:30 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:17 am Missed this when it was posted, but it is "at producer's discretion" which is clearly stated (and here I go beating that same drum again) IN THE RULES.
Since I was not there and you were, I would still appreciate an answer to my above question. Thanks.
It wouldn't establish a time limit, it would only establish the amount of time in that one incident.

I also did not go to a taping equipped with a stopwatch specifically to get such information, so any answer I give would be inaccurate.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:30 am Since I was not there and you were, I would still appreciate an answer to my above question. Thanks.
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm It wouldn't establish a time limit, it would only establish the amount of time in that one incident.

I also did not go to a taping equipped with a stopwatch specifically to get such information, so any answer I give would be inaccurate.
I did ask "approximately".

But it's pretty funny how you continue to quote incredibly vague rules like "producer's discretion", but won't even try to narrow down what the time frame is in reality. My guess is you have an idea what the time frame was, and it was pretty lengthy.
kprather895 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 pm I'll jump in for this one. During the briefing with the show's lawyer, we were told the producer would appear after "about three minutes."
Thank you for giving information that is actually useful. When you were there did the producer have to appear in this regard? Do you know if any contestant dithered on a question for longer than 3 minutes?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:42 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:30 am Since I was not there and you were, I would still appreciate an answer to my above question. Thanks.
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm It wouldn't establish a time limit, it would only establish the amount of time in that one incident.

I did ask "approximately".

But it's pretty funny how you continue to quote incredibly vague rules like "producer's discretion", but won't even try to narrow down what the time frame is in reality. My guess is you have an idea what the time frame was, and it was pretty lengthy.
If you don't like the vagueness of the rules as the show states them, that's a you problem.

You can guess again about me having any idea of what the time frame was as I was not watching any clock, and not considering the specificity of how much time he was taking as it did not occur to me it would matter however many years later, but sitting there wishing the guy wasn't so annoying at each question.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'll add that after having sat in the studio for almost two full days, I never got to see any actual gameplay other than my own. It is not like Jeopardy in that regard.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Board member (no post since Feb. 2016 though) Khaleesi1287: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10167 is on today's 4/12 episode.

She made me laugh when she referenced Breaking Bad for the Walt Whitman question as I was thinking the same thing. It was fun to listen to her work through the math for laps around the bases on the diamond to approximate a mile.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 pm Board member (no post since Feb. 2016 though) Khaleesi1287: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10167 is on today's 4/12 episode.

She made me laugh when she referenced Breaking Bad for the Walt Whitman question as I was thinking the same thing. It was fun to listen to her work through the math for laps around the bases on the diamond to approximate a mile.
Also, Derek was a contestant on The Chase back in 2013 in either the second or third episode. He was my age at the time. He mentioned that he was the valedictorian at his high school. I recently re-watched all the US Chase episodes, so I recognized him immediately.
Douglas Squasoni