Thursday, April 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7969, 2019-04-11

James Holzhauer game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Lewis Black, an attorney from Salt Lake City, Utah
Stephanie Stein, an editor from Brooklyn, New York
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 5-day cash winnings total $298,687)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Yeah, those numbers are correct. James now ranks sixth in amount of money won on regular competition Jeopardy! games. And he's done it twice as quickly as anyone else. Stephanie and Lewis, you know you've gotta be good today. All right, here we go. Here are the categories for the three of you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DRESSING BOB'S BURGERS (2/4) (Alex: Actual offerings seen on the sign in the animated show.)
IDIOMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WAR OF THE BATTLE (5/5)
INVENTED OR DISCOVERED (5/5)
I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER (5/5)
25 TCM (5/5) (Ben Mankiewicz: Hi, I'm Ben Mankiewicz, primetime host of TCM, here to celebrate 25 years of Turner Classic Movies.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 13 R, 0 W
Lewis: 8 R, 0 W
Stephanie: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lewis: $4,200
James: $4,000
Stephanie: $3,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on our program today is Lewis Black. Not the comedian but an attorney from Utah, who was once the chauffeur for a wolf?

Lewis: I was. I was doing an internship in Washington, D.C., and the congressman that I was working for introduced a bill to do the environmental impact study for reintroducing the gray wolves into Yellowstone. And he wanted to have a wolf on the floor of Congress when he introduced the bill. And my job was to rent the van and meet the wolf handler and the wolf at the airport and drive them around. And so I did. And somewhere I've got photos of me petting the wolf.

Alex: Oh. Good for you.

Alex: Stephanie Stein, editor from Brooklyn, New York. Volunteers with a professional women's hockey team. What position?

Stephanie: I--nobody wants to see me skate, I promise. So I volunteer off the ice, mostly.

Alex: Oh.

Stephanie: I sell raffle tickets and sometimes tickets at the door.

Alex: Have you ever had a desire to get out there and play?

Stephanie: I'm actually learning.

Alex: Oh, really?

Stephanie: Yeah.

Alex: All righty.

Alex: James Holzhauzer is our--Holzhauer. Why do I keep mispronouncing your name?

James: It's a hard name.

Alex: Yeah.

James: Try saying it for 34 years.

Alex: You had a lot of practice. Now, tell me about--your mom had a coupon to go to a beauty parlor.

James: My mom was an extreme couponer before there was a term for it. So when I was six, she had a buy-one-get-one-free perm coupon, and she couldn't find anyone else to take with her, so she took me. And I know where the only existing photo of me with this perm is. And you can only see it with express permission.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. James had $5,000, Stephanie had $3,600, and Lewis was at $4,200. Stephanie wagered $2,200.

IDIOMS $400: Management consultant Marilyn Loden says she coined this phrase for a barrier to female success in 1978

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DRESSING BOB'S BURGERS $1000: A tropical fruit offering:
"____ Was a Rolling Stone Burger"

DRESSING BOB'S BURGERS $800: "Jingle ____ ____ Burger"; a "musical" veggie

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $6,600
Stephanie: $6,200
Lewis: $5,000
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOVIE & SONG, SAME TITLE (5/5)
AMERICAN POETRY (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"EX" (4/5)
AROUND THE INDIAN OCEAN (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
JOURNALISTS (2/4)
EMERGENCY GENERATOR (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Lewis: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Stephanie: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. James had $9,800, Stephanie had $5,000, and Lewis was at $5,000. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $9,800.

AROUND THE INDIAN OCEAN $2000: In 1497, this sailed around Africa & with the help of a pilot crossed the Indian Ocean & reached India

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. James had $22,400, Stephanie had $9,400, and Lewis was at $12,600. James wagered $5,000.

AMERICAN POETRY $800: Despite his name, he holds "with those who favor fire" for how "the world will end"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"EX" $1200: It's the title of Alexander Decamps' 1837 work, which used monkeys to satirize those who opine on art

AMERICAN POETRY $2000: William Carlos Williams won a Pulitzer for "Pictures from" this Flemish artist--here's one of his pictures

JOURNALISTS $2000: NYU's J-school chose the 100 outstanding U.S. journalists of the last 100 years; this Post-man is alphabetically last

JOURNALISTS $800: William Cobbet, who wielded a poison quill in England & America from 1794 to 1835, took his pseudonym from this rodent

AROUND THE INDIAN OCEAN $800: If you're in the Maldives collecting grunters & croakers, you're hauling in these

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $30,200 (lock game)
Lewis: $13,000
Stephanie: $11,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CELEBRITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Lewis: Wager $9,001 to cover Stephanie.
Stephanie: Risk between $2,001 and $7,000, covering Lewis's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This inductee into the Video Hall of Fame sold 17 million copies of a videocassette she released in 1982

FINAL SCORES
Stephanie: $11,000 - $4,700 = $6,300 (Who is Madonna?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lewis: $13,000 + $10,000 = $23,000 (Who is Jane Fonda? O) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $30,200 - $3,010 = $27,190 (Who is Madonna happy birthday Scarlett) (6-day champion: $325,877)
(Alex: All right, let's work it. Work it!)
(Alex: [To Lewis] The [*] workout.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $18,200, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Lewis: $13,000, 14 R, 0 W
Stephanie: $9,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 25/60 = .417
Lewis: 15/58 = .259
Stephanie: 11/59 = .186
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
25 TCM $1000: (Ben Mankiewicz gives the clue.) One of the interviews I most anticipated was with this Italian screen legend before a TCM Classic Film Festival screening of her film "Marriage Italian Style"

25 TCM $800: (Ben Mankiewicz gives the clue.) With a deep, abiding love & knowledge of film, he was the very first host of Turner Classic Movies & made an impressive 62,851 appearances over 20+ years with the channel

25 TCM $600: (Ben Mankiewicz gives the clue.) On TCM, I get to talk about my great-uncle Joseph L. Mankiewicz, who won Oscars for writing & directing this 1950 film, the ultimate backstage drama where Bette Davis memorably says, "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"

25 TCM $400: (Ben Mankiewicz gives the clue.) Tonight, for the opening o the 10th Annual TCM Classic Film Festival, Meg Ryan & Billy Crystal will reunite with director Rob Reiner for a screening of this romantic comedy that wondered if men & women would really be friends
(Stephanie: When Harry--What is [*]?)
(Alex: That's it. Less than a minute now.)

25 TCM $200: (Ben Mankiewicz gives the clue.) The movie that's had the most airings on TCM, currently at 150, is this 1942 classic starring Humphrey Bogart
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

AROUND THE INDIAN OCEAN $1200: At the edge of the Indian Ocean lies this island, whose east part, now independent, was invaded by Indonesia in 1975
(Stephanie: What is New Guinea?)

AMERICAN POETRY $1600: Frank O'Hara's most famous poem is "The Day Lady Died", in which he reads about this jazz singer's death in 1959
(James: Who is Ella Fitzgerald?)

JOURNALISTS $1200: Often called the first "war" one of these, Crimean war reporter William Howard Russell preferred "special" one
(James: What is photographer?)

"EX" $800: In 1227 Pope Gregory IX did this to Frederick II, who failed on his promise to crusade
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

EMERGENCY GENERATOR $400: Roman I-I-I plus wakeup clock plus conflagration
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the glass ceiling
papaya
bell pepper
Vasco da Gama
(Robert) Frost
The Experts
Pieter Bruegel
Bob Woodward
porcupine
fish
Jane Fonda
Sophia Loren
Robert Osborne
All About Eve
When Harry Met Sally
Casablanca
Timor
Billie Holliday
correspondent
excommunicate
three-alarm fire
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CELEBRITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This inductee into the Video Hall of Fame sold 17 million copies of a videocassette she released in 1982

James Holzhauer: 30200-3010=27190 (6x = $325,877)
Stephanie Stein: 11000-4700=6300
Lewis Black: 13000+10000=23000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jane Fonda (James – Madonna Happy Birthday Scarlett) (Stephanie – Madonna) (Lewis had a weird 0 crossed out with the $10,000 wager below it.)
Daily Doubles
Stephanie: 3600+2200
James: 9800+9800
James: 22400+5000

Coryats
James: 18200
Stephanie: 9200
Lewis: 13000

Combined: 40,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 6600
Stephanie: 6200
Lewis: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My apologies to Lewis for not giving him any chance in the April spoiler thread when going off his waving picture had me dismiss him. Lewis was one good break away from winning the game and at no point displayed Anger.

An 18200 Coryat for James showed his game was not firing on all cylinders today. In the FJ! round he might want to spend more time on the clue and less on the shout out even in a runaway. Things can pop into your head 25 seconds into the clue at full concentration.

CELEBRITIES is a good category for me and when it kinds of gets into TV then it's even better. I was done before the music began.

My instincts tell me (though not with a specific recall) that The Goldbergs must have featured the subject for the FJ! clue either in an opening or as a story line for an episode.

On my scoresheet after writing the categories I made a dot below INVENTED & DISCOVERED in the J! round and AMERICAN POETRY & AROUND THE INDIAN OCEAN in the DJ! round. Those were my predictions for the categories with the DDs. I was happy to go 2/3 for the right spots and James seemed to be on the same search path as well.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Does anyone know where I can find a list of people in the Video Hall of Fame online?
Golf

Post by Golf »

Had Stephanie slept through the first three games of the taping day and didn't know what she was up against when uncovering a DD in the 2nd row?

James didn't have the same buzzer mojo today.

I said (expletive deleted) Hanoi Jane for FJ? Judges?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Only 27k? What a scrub! Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, James. Not that there was much doubt. One of these days, he'll miss that big, game-sealing DD and be vulnerable to a FJ miss, I just don't know when.

Not-quite-instaget FJ. There's a video HOF!!??! I'd like to see that list as well.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

chmmr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:48 pm Does anyone know where I can find a list of people in the Video Hall of Fame online?
my question too. how does one contribute for it, youtube nowadays?
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm Had Stephanie slept through the first three games of the taping day and didn't know what she was up against when uncovering a DD in the 2nd row?

judges say (expletive deleted) off...
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm Had Stephanie slept through the first three games of the taping day and didn't know what she was up against when uncovering a DD in the 2nd row?

They are not sequestered prior to the game(s)?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:42 pm

They are not sequestered prior to the game(s)?
Not in regular play.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

not an instaget final jeopardy clue, but still go it...finally a clue that wasn't a softball
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

the old dude cost himself the game by going to a top box to lead off the 2nd round rather than searching for a daily double to keep it away from the champion
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

chmmr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:48 pm Does anyone know where I can find a list of people in the Video Hall of Fame online?
as of 2013 she was the only non engineer to be inducted into the video hall of fame...so the list won't have any notables other than her i imagine
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Matched Champ and Stephanie in FJ - snaps a streak of 8 straight. Facepalm upon reveal. Both challengers, once again, came across as strong players.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:19 am My instincts tell me (though not with a specific recall) that The Goldbergs must have featured the subject for the FJ! clue either in an opening or as a story line for an episode.
Try this article. Does not have a clip from the episode referenced, but the synopsis sounds vaguely familiar. Have seen many episodes of The Goldbergs myself.

I do know Fonda came up on Reba's sitcom years back as well, I think in a Season 1 episode. Reba knew her, the kids did not.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The two younger contestants got it wrong. The older contestant (and this older person) got it right. I sense a correlation.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 pm The two younger contestants got it wrong. The older contestant (and this older person) got it right. I sense a correlation.
i am middle geezer and got it correct
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Old guy -- missed it. I certainly know of it, but it was never coming to me. Even after Alex said "Work it", I still had no idea who he was talking about.

Also I said "exfil" for "extraction", which I am counting.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm
Absolutely! 8-)
But how did two contestants come up with Madonna? She doesn't do workout videos and was still unknown in 1982. :?:

Alex "They're too young" :P
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'm a geezer (geezerette? geezess?) the right age to have gotten this, but I took a wrong turn at Suzanne Somers.