Thursday, April 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, April 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:50 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 pm one more thing: hate the happy birthday shtick (yeah, hate). when's scarlet's birthday? today? tape day? who cares?! :P
i agree...is stupid
Alex is over it, too. Just makes for an awkward reveal every single time
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Another Olivia Newton-John. It is possible I conflated her "Physical" with an exercise video but I doubt I would have eventually made it to Fonda.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm
I said (expletive deleted) Hanoi Jane for FJ? Judges?
You get my thumbs up.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't figure out whose voice Stephanie reminded me of.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 am I can't figure out whose voice Stephanie reminded me of.
Here at Brown...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 am
alietr wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 am I can't figure out whose voice Stephanie reminded me of.
Here at Brown...
Touché.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Router, Shingle, and Robert Osbourne.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Papaya, Bell Pepper, Experts, Pieter Bruegel, Bob Woodward, Porcupine, Fish
Douglas Squasoni
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:21 am
morbeeto wrote:one more thing: hate the happy birthday shtick (yeah, hate). when's scarlet's birthday? today? tape day? who cares?
MarkBarrett wrote: In the FJ! round he might want to spend more time on the clue and less on the shout out even in a runaway. Things can pop into your head 25 seconds into the clue at full concentration.
Agree, he is waisting mental effort on this, also with the date specific amounts when he has to make a DD wager under a time constraint.
A savvy opponant should counter him by wagering a random amount ending in two odd number digits, like 37, on the first DD they hit. If it's early in the J round, wager the max minus $21. This would throw a monkey wrench into James' cute FJ wagering if the game is not a runnaway. Better yet, not a crush. You never know, it could force a critical math error in those situations too.
It might also be enough of a distraction to make him forget the category after the clue is given, if he spends too much time nickel dickin' with his wager.
How much time is the set-up process to determine the FJ wager?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 pm
Category 13 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:21 am
morbeeto wrote:one more thing: hate the happy birthday shtick (yeah, hate). when's scarlet's birthday? today? tape day? who cares?
MarkBarrett wrote: In the FJ! round he might want to spend more time on the clue and less on the shout out even in a runaway. Things can pop into your head 25 seconds into the clue at full concentration.
Agree, he is waisting mental effort on this, also with the date specific amounts when he has to make a DD wager under a time constraint.
A savvy opponant should counter him by wagering a random amount ending in two odd number digits, like 37, on the first DD they hit. If it's early in the J round, wager the max minus $21. This would throw a monkey wrench into James' cute FJ wagering if the game is not a runnaway. Better yet, not a crush. You never know, it could force a critical math error in those situations too.
It might also be enough of a distraction to make him forget the category after the clue is given, if he spends too much time nickel dickin' with his wager.
How much time is the set-up process to determine the FJ wager?
As much as you like. But someone from the staff will start hovering over you after a while.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

And after the hovering, comes the firm-voiced demanding.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:21 am A savvy opponant should counter him by wagering a random amount ending in two odd number digits, like 37, on the first DD they hit. If it's early in the J round, wager the max minus $21. This would throw a monkey wrench into James' cute FJ wagering if the game is not a runnaway. Better yet, not a crush. You never know, it could force a critical math error in those situations too.
Ironically, I thought that was the point of the wagers in the first place. I have always been of the mind that if I were on the show, I would utilize random numbers in DD wagers (except for cases where a TDD was warranted), either adding $137 or subtracting $388 or whatever from my wager, in order to disorient and confuse opponents, hopefully they are not good at math and this works. Certainly I can imagine using dates relevant to me in this random number generation (and thus the term "random number generation" is not correct here), but they would be in service of the strategy and not the other way around.

That being said, the only one that made me upset was in Game 3. I mean, I like James, but if Satish had wagered $1,200 and gotten it right and James got it wrong, I would have derived a savage pleasure out of it.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

RKane wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:24 pm
Category 13 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:21 am A savvy opponant should counter him by wagering a random amount ending in two odd number digits, like 37, on the first DD they hit. If it's early in the J round, wager the max minus $21. This would throw a monkey wrench into James' cute FJ wagering if the game is not a runnaway. Better yet, not a crush. You never know, it could force a critical math error in those situations too.
Ironically, I thought that was the point of the wagers in the first place. I have always been of the mind that if I were on the show, I would utilize random numbers in DD wagers (except for cases where a TDD was warranted), either adding $137 or subtracting $388 or whatever from my wager, in order to disorient and confuse opponents, hopefully they are not good at math and this works. Certainly I can imagine using dates relevant to me in this random number generation (and thus the term "random number generation" is not correct here), but they would be in service of the strategy and not the other way around.

That being said, the only one that made me upset was in Game 3. I mean, I like James, but if Satish had wagered $1,200 and gotten it right and James got it wrong, I would have derived a savage pleasure out of it.
Satish betting $1200 would essentially be actively trying not to win. Not sure I would ever enjoy seeing a player luck into a win with a wager like that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was at Motor City Furry Con. Catching up now.

Much tighter game, but James still went into FJ! with a lock.

NHO "hung out a shingle" and didn't know that prisoners had "serial numbers" for two 4/5s.

I like both puns, burgers, and Bob's Burgers, but couldn't make the leap from jingle bell to bell pepper, and overthought the Swiss pun for burn/Bern instead of charred/chard.

Also NHO "cross examination".

Celebrities + video + 17 million + 1982 = these pieces do not fit together at all. Not even the "workout" hint after the fact set any sparks in my brain.

Lach Trash: "Papaya was a rolling stone", fish