Wednesday, April 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:49 pm Am I convinced that the operator of the website is not James? Yes.
Am I convinced that the operator of the website has had zero contact with James prior to the run starting? No.
Could question #2 ever be answered? Maybe some intrepid reporter will start to wonder and start digging and find something.

Still, the fact of the matter is: even if there was no website, there are still a number of people who have been disrespected in the past by the current champion, some nearly to the point of being slandered, and their experiences are being ignored and dismissed by a large number of people. And others are rightfully angry with this.
I have not visited the site, but "nearly to the point of being slandered" would require it to contain way worse stuff than what I've heard from friends who are clearly upset by it. A slander (or libel) is a factually false and reputation-damaging statement. Mentioning Jeopardy! contestants in a disrespectful way is neither. It's an opinion, and it would probably be considered reputation-boosting by most common standards (as merely being on J! is generally, and rightly, considered an achievement).

Random people post offensive comments about contestants all the time on J! FB page, let alone on wilder sites. While those are asshole or ignorant comments, they are clearly not anyway near defamatory. When I was on the show, someone posted on the professional message board for people in my profession something to the effect of "this is why they shouldn't allow foreigners on the show". Assholes are everywhere; they are not illegal, nor nearly so.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

gnash wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:29 pm A slander (or libel) is a factually false and reputation-damaging statement.
The comments I am referring to fit your definition exactly.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Since at this point we are just making stuff up, I'll throw this out there:

I would not be surprised if the site was created by someone in the professional betting community. Someone James interacts with on a regular basis - not necessarily a friend but perhaps a co-bettor or an oddsmaker. Someone to whom James could say "Hey, could you knock it off, it's bringing me some heat" but would not have the weight to demand it be stopped. It would also not surprise me if there were some under-the-table wagering going on about his run. Heck, maybe even above-the-table - it's Vegas after all.
floridagator

AOC ruins James's true daily double

Post by floridagator »

James attempted another true daily double and went to zero because he confused Articles of Confederation with Bill of Rights. He chose AOC and lost all his money. How could he not know Bill of Rights Day? There is no AOC day.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Re: AOC ruins James's true daily double

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm James attempted another true daily double and went to zero because he confused Articles of Confederation with Bill of Rights. He chose AOC and lost all his money. How could he not know Bill of Rights Day? There is no AOC day.
Is the Wednesday thread locked? Yeah, poor James, losing that 3000 really put a dent in his wallet.

How often does AOC come up on J! anyway? ;)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

floridagator wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm James attempted another true daily double and went to zero because he confused Articles of Confederation with Bill of Rights. He chose AOC and lost all his money. How could he not know Bill of Rights Day? There is no AOC day.
you've never heard of anyone making a mistake in competition?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 pm
gnash wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:29 pm A slander (or libel) is a factually false and reputation-damaging statement.
OK then, I believe you. I won't visit the site in any case, and obviously I am not going to ask you to relay claims you believe to be slanderous, as that would be unethical. It is admirable that people (at least those I follow) have managed to criticize the site extensively while avoiding revealing any details of such statements on it.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

gnash wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 pm
OK then, I believe you. I won't visit the site in any case, and obviously I am not going to ask you to relay claims you believe to be slanderous, as that would be unethical. It is admirable that people (at least those I follow) have managed to criticize the site extensively while avoiding revealing any details of such statements on it.
There is nothing slanderous (cough, libelous) on the site (calling those who lost "the humbled" may not be in the best of taste, but it's not slander).

A couple of folks have beefs with Holzhauer going back years. Separate issue, though folks conflate the two.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm somewhat surprised she hasn't yet, though more so that she has not yet in LL.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:43 pm
gnash wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 pm
There is nothing slanderous (cough, libelous) on the site (calling those who lost "the humbled" may not be in the best of taste, but it's not slander).

A couple of folks have beefs with Holzhauer going back years. Separate issue, though folks conflate the two.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

https://www.learnedleague.com/viewtopic ... 028#p50028

Referring to "rampant cheating" as a fact in LL isn't much in the way of libel, but it was kind of a dick move at least to accuse Thorsten of turning a blind eye to anything of the sort, and overall the post makes me more credulous of the idea that he made more direct allegations elsewhere.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Lefty wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm somewhat surprised she hasn't yet, though more so that she has not yet in LL.
Speak of the Devil... :twisted:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I haven’t visited that website, but this is the strangest game thread I have ever read on here.

I don’t know what his past involves or what his connection to that site is. But if Pete Rose can be kicked out of baseball, James can be kicked out of the TOC. I would imagine there is language in the contract that says you have no guarantee of being invited to any future tournaments.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I'm going to pretend that the $200 clue in WE AREN'T THE CHAMPIONS was about the Washington Nationals, so we can have all 3 of the 1st-time championship teams this year represented in that column.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:19 am I'm going to pretend that the $200 clue in WE AREN'T THE CHAMPIONS was about the Washington Nationals, so we can have all 3 of the 1st-time championship teams this year represented in that column.
what about the washington mystics?